DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Signings
Topic Originator: 2004Par  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 15:58

Is anyone a little bit nervous about our lack of signings so far? Or is this just what comes with being a team in league 1 compared to our previous seasons. We have signed good players so far imo in Hamilton and Benedictus but we definetly do need to strengthen in Midfield and out on the wings especially with the league campaign starting very soon.Anyone think Mcpake has a couple tricks up his sleeve to be revealed soon ?.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Jul 15:58)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Signings
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 16:05

It`s a concern, but pretty much the same for other clubs it seems.

The decent players available have been hoovered up by league 5 or 6 clubs in England, who blow us out the water financially.

Really hard for tier 3 in Scotland, no one wants to go there, it pretty much the very last chance saloon - hence the lack of ` I think we should sign...` etc posts also) Falkirk seem to have topped up a bit, but at what cost?

I think it will be a mad scramble last minute for players, almost all of it out of our hands.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 16:28

It could be a long wait. Whilst we`d all like the squad to be finalised by next Saturday, isn`t the transfer window open until the end of August?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 16:52

Yip, end of August
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 17:00

Was happy enough we didn`t jump in with signings early doors. Would have liked to have seen another couple in last fortnight. Squad lacks depth but I`ll trust they know what they are doing.

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 17:14

we really need a competent goalscorer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 17:19

Quote:

thebear, Thu 21 Jul 17:14

we really need a competent goalscorer

The absolute last thing this squad needs is another striker. We`re fine there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 17:23

thebear wrote:

> we really need a competent goalscorer

Last place that needs attention for me.

I think I read QOTS and Falkirk had about 9/10 signings each, whilst Kelty were in a similar position to ourselves.
Only time will tell if McPake can make a difference to the players performance some of whom are on their 5th manager here.
The positive is the two we`ve signed are in the spine of the team, ideally would like to see another two in similar positions.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 17:38

If he hasn’t been given funds then he won’t be signing anyone. Maybe time the club shone a bit of clarity where we are in terms of making more signings.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 18:13

I assumed we would be waiting on clubs in more appealing Divisions filling their own squads and releasing / loaning out players that become surplus to requirements. That’s the pool we will be fishing in now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 19:27

His interview tonight offers nothing unfortunately.

Would have to say I`m worried about the lack of signing for example I find it hard to believe we haven`t got another keeper in either signed or on loan.

Not sure why folk keep talking about a lack of funds it`s already been stated by the chairman our budget would be one of the largest on the league and that was before season ticket went on sale so I don`t buy that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: goldensixties  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 19:53

The manager reveals in this week`s Dunfermline Press that at least two trialists are training with the first team and have impressed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 19:59

It’s a very competitive market surely the last thing discussed would be signing targets. I’m more impressed with the work completed so far.

We have a younger squad.
Our pre season has been hard.
There is a better spirit about us.

Generating a healthy environment at the club is important if we want to attract players.

Plenty time yet.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 20:09

Squad will be topped up by loans once teams settle on their line ups.
Will be a few released as well once they know they aren’t part of other teams plans.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 20:34

Quote:

goldensixties, Thu 21 Jul 19:53

The manager reveals in this week`s Dunfermline Press that at least two trialists are training with the first team and have impressed.

Yes, and a good interview with Dan Pybus.... I wonder if he could earn a deal. A midfield of him and Hamilton doing the donkey work for Dorrans could be decent at this level. There`s probably other areas that need strengthened though
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 20:35

I recon the loan players are already identified and the deals verbally done which just depend on their Parent clubs filling their squads or avoiding injuries in their pre season games

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 20:35

He acknowledges in his pre-match interview that it could take right to the end of the window to get the players he thinks we need.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 23:25

Most other teams have a reasonable amount of new signings, however I don`t know their quality. Our 2 are both good players let`s hope that Dorrans comes back also showing decent quality.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 07:50

The budget will be one of the largest in the league, which you would expect but it does not mean that it is massive. Then add in the fact there are a few players which McPake (and others!) may not rate very highly that will eating up a chunk of it (Chalmers, Mehmet, Dorrans...) and these guys will almost be impossible to move on.

Without having paid too much attention, it appears other clubs are all in a similar position (Falkirk have been more active but also released more players I believe) so we are not at a disadvantage. We have enough at the moment to beat Alloa tomorrow, and again the next week.

The squad will get stronger, but McPake knows he needs to be cautious, there won`t be much room for error.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 08:24

To be fair, McPake seems to have been very clear that Mehmet’s his number 1 and he seems happy with that. Also made it clear he rates Dorrans and wants him back fit. Don’t know his thoughts on Chalmers, but he seems to be rotating him with Paul Allan so far, so obviously doesn’t rate him as highly as Hughes did.

McPake seems to talk about patience, waiting for the right players. But at some point he may have to panic buy - if Mehmet or a CB gets injured, for example. Only time will tell if he has done the right thing. We need cover at CB and GK (and potentially LB?) as well as wide options. I don’t know who he’s been looking at, but if we end up bringing in players that improve the team, it will have been worth the wait. If he brings in squad players, who provide adequate cover and no more, I’d argue that could have been done earlier in the window.

I haven’t seen Falkirk or QoS sign particularly great players for this level - although I’d have been delighted to see Donaldson back at EEP. The 2 we have added so far have been big improvements from what we had, in areas that we needed just that.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 14:23

The thing that stops me panicking about the lack of signings so far is the quality and attitude of the 2 McPake has brought in so far. That bodes well for me.

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 17:54

"I find it hard to believe we haven`t got another keeper in either signed or on loan."

until now...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 19:39

Signing someone from outside Scotland, nae rumours either.

That gives you the belief that we are capable of signing other plays of that category so not just boys from Scotland
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 20:08

I am hopeful that the new keeper will progress under Alan Main.

However when you mention players of “ that category “ U 23 players from England have not exactly excelled when they have come to Scotland.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bazzler1981  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 20:48

A boy I played with has a son who has just finished a scholarship in America starts a trial next week

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 22:01

At least he is a decent size, 6ft 5ins. Hopefully one we can develop. Always a worry when we sign a player from English Clubs Under 23 teams though, the quality tends to be very poor
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 22:05

They didn`t sign him because he came from an English under-23 team though; they signed him because they liked what they saw in training and how he performed in a trial match. Are you saying we shouldn`t even look at any players from these teams?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 22:18

In case you all missed it. The owners of DAFC have a long term plan (7yrs Apparently) to be firmly established in the top division. On the way they intend to find and develop young players who they can sell for a profit.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 22:31

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 22 Jul 22:05

They didn`t sign him because he came from an English under-23 team though; they signed him because they liked what they saw in training and how he performed in a trial match. Are you saying we shouldn`t even look at any players from these teams?

I`m sure McPake and Co have run the rule over him and like what they have seen. He has only just turned 20, and been shown the door by the under 23 team. That doesn`t mean there isn`t a player there, it just means the coaches at QPR don`t think he is worth offering a contract, even to play at under 23 level. Some fans seem to get excited when they hear about us signing folk from Norwich, Leeds, Brentford and QPR, but the reality is that if they are in the under 23 team, they are about as far away from the first team as I am.
Hopefully, one day we can find a diamond in the rough though
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 23:11

There`s quite a gap between League 1 in Scotland and the English Premiership/Championship too so making the transition from these under-23 sides shouldn`t be too uncommon.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 02:10

Its all about his potential and attitude to work hard and improve. A two year deal suggests they see something there.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 08:00

Quote:

red-star-par, Thu 21 Jul 20:34

Quote:

goldensixties, Thu 21 Jul 19:53

Yes, and a good interview with Dan Pybus.... I wonder if he could earn a deal. A midfield of him and Hamilton doing the donkey work for Dorrans could be decent at this level. There`s probably other areas that need strengthened though

I haven`t been able to find the Dan Pybus interview you refer to, red star. Is there a chance he may be offered a new contract by the Pars after all? I remember that happened with Lewis Spence when AJ came in.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 08:20

Seems a positive signing, I would treat keepers different to outfield players in these under 23 teams, too much competition.

I worry we’ll end up singing another couple of raw youngsters from premier league teams who are not quite ready for the 1st team. We’ve had way too many of these over the years and it doesn’t work for anyone.

This came out of the blue so hopefully there’s a few more flying under the radar.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 09:24

Stop worrying Berkey. You`ll put yourself in an early grave.

I`d far rather have made 3 solid signings than some of the absolute dross Falkirk have went for, Donaldson excepted.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 12:48

Weren’t folk ranting and raving about the last player to come up
From the English u23’s?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 13:34

Quote:

parsfan97, Sat 23 Jul 12:48

From the English u23’s?

Not really

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 13:37

Jakub has been the only decent loan/permanent signing from the u23 setup from down south. Hopefully it’s a running theme that the keepers are a success.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 13:57

Quote:

parsfan97, Sat 23 Jul 12:48

From the English u23’s?

Who do you mean, out of interest? We’ve had a number, with varying levels of success. Last season, Reece Cole, Bobby Kamwa and Jakub Stolarczyk had been playing u23 football before we signed them. Year before that, Scott Banks. Year before that, Gabby McGill, Josh Coley and Dylan Duncan. Tom Beadling and Ryan Blair joined us from u23 football in 2019/20.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 14:03

Would take Scott Banks back, realistic recruitment level for the league we are in.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 14:08

LochgellyAlbert wrote:

> Would take Scott Banks back, realistic recruitment level for
> the league we are in.
Currently touring Australia With Crystal Palace and was on the bench for yesterdays game against Leeds

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 15:02

We are light in certain areas but don`t think we should panic and sign anyone. The U23 loans have had a pretty low success rate so sometimes better the devil you know and bring through some of our younger players as a priority. The signing of a new keeper on a 2 year deal is pehaps an indication of the way we will go. In the first instance sign 19 or 20 year olds up on 2 year deals and develop them. For the fringe players in the squad there is no better time to push for first team football and it looks like the club want to create the pathway for that. I am not concerned at all at this stage
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 17:52

Quote:

Westies squint kicks, Sat 23 Jul 14:08

LochgellyAlbert wrote:

> Would take Scott Banks back, realistic recruitment level for
> the league we are in.
Currently touring Australia With Crystal Palace and was on the bench for yesterdays game against Leeds

Good to hear!👍
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net