DAFC.net
Home 27 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Uwe Seeler (d)
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 20:22

Germany has never been short of good centre forwards- Muller, Klinsmann, Voller, Klose- but Uwe Seeler stands comparison with any of them. He scored in four different World Cup competitions, playing directly against ex-Par Willie Cunningham of Northern Ireland in 1958.
A runners up medal was all he had to show for these efforts but his power, energy and bravery symbolised West German football before the coming of Beckenbauer, a player he combined with very effectively. At 5’7 he possessed a phenomenal leap and that aerial ability helped knock out England and nearly beat Italy in 1970.
Here’s a link to Hamburg’s greatest scoring a couple against Scotland in 1964.

https://youtu.be/ItfE0iNAU2c

sammer
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Uwe Seeler (d)
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 20:33

His record of 43 goals in 72 international appearances and 490 goals in 580 appearances for Hamburg, his only club, speaks for itself.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 21 Jul 22:04

Always think of his looping header in 1970 WC v England - with his back to goal if memory serves ?
Bonetti scrambling about.

Post Edited (Thu 21 Jul 22:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 14:56

https://youtu.be/ItfE0iNAU2c

Post Edited (Fri 22 Jul 15:02)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 15:30

He still had a decent head of of hair back in 1964, as did Alan Gilzean who scored both of Scotland’s goals.
They both headed their way to being baldies!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 17:19

My friend’s dad owned a shoe shop in Germany back in the day. Uwe came in fairly frequently as a rep for Adidas and my mate’s dad had nothing but good things to say about him.
He and his wife were very weel kent faces in Hamburg and Uwe was a true man of the people. He never refused a photo or an autograph. They’ll miss him, but guys with his legacy will live on in their club.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 17:21

Great post parfection RIP Uwe

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 20:20

I never saw him in his pomp but I did see him play in a fund raiser match for the Bradford City fire fund. I am not sure how old he was in 1985 but boy could he play. He looked like he could have turned out in the league.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 22 Jul 23:15

I`ve just read an obituary which said that after the 1962 World Cup he was troubled by an achilles tendon injury which kept him out of the game for a year. He had an operation to fit an artificial one which he played with for the rest of his career.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net