DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Managers Interview COWS
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 19:27

Head nearly exploded reading that, does no one proof read this utter sh*te?

Post Edited (Sat 23 Jul 19:50)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Managers Interview COWS
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 19:34

Listened to it; he was extremely hard on the team saying we were `ridiculously poor` and `negative and reckless on the ball`. His main criticism though was that we weren`t clinical enough with our chances which he said has been the case in all the League Cup games.

I think his assessment is unduly harsh and can only think it`s some kind of reverse psychology to get a reaction for next week.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 19:35

Or maybe he’s letting us know his true feelings? Sick of managers making excuses for our underperforming players

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 19:36

No problem with a manager who is trying to up the standards now. Failure became acceptable at this club, quite right we have someone who wants to make it clear that it isn’t and when we do **** up we will look in the mirror and demand better from ourselves.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 19:38

Well, he`s got to get the best out of them. He accepted he was partly responsible but he was putting the onus on the players. Every football fan knows putting the ball in the net is the hardest thing to do in football and probably the hardest thing to coach.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 19:45

Gets a lot more respect for his honesty than the garbage we had to listen to last season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 19:53

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 23 Jul 19:34

Listened to it; he was extremely hard on the team saying we were `ridiculously poor` and `negative and reckless on the ball`. His main criticism though was that we weren`t clinical enough with our chances which he said has been the case in all the League Cup games.

I think his assessment is unduly harsh and can only think it`s some kind of reverse psychology to get a reaction for next week.

It`s bang on you can`t miss lots of chances like that and expect to win a game..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 19:54

Like Grant and Hughes he`ll be judged on results, not the content of his interviews.

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 19:56

wee eck wrote:

> Like Grant and Hughes he`ll be judged on results, not the
> content of his interviews.
>
>

He`ll be respected a lot more for his honesty

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 20:13

Sounds like he sent a message to the board about not having the tools to change things
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 20:28

He better watch what he`s saying, he`ll get posters on here slagging him aff and to stop talking rubbish and to stop being negative, it`s a new season blah blah blah

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 22:24

My original post wasn’t on what McPake said, he was absolutely right. It was how it was typed on the official site. Do we not proof read before posting it, so many mistakes, so amateur.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 07:13

Good honest assessment of the game. A refreshing change, it’s the verbal kick up the @rse we need after that performance.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 07:45

Quote:

The Toun Clock, Sat 23 Jul 22:24

My original post wasn’t on what McPake said, he was absolutely right. It was how it was typed on the official site. Do we not proof read before posting it, so many mistakes, so amateur.

Thanks for clearing that up, TC. I was more than a tad confused as to why you appeared to be criticising McPake for his brutal honesty.

I wouldn`t be too hard on whoever put it on COWS. It`s more the fault of our education system, which has consistently lowered the bar during the last 50-60 years. I remember having to analyse compound sentences in P7. Now it`s not even covered in `H` English and the general standards of punctuation and grammar among the majority of secondary age pupils is, quite frankly, abysmal. ☹

Many do not feel the need to be grammatically perfect and feel it`s enough to make themselves understood.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 10:06

I`m still puzzled by the interview. Being `brutally honest` doesn`t necessarily mean slaughtering the team about every aspect of their performance after a match in which we dominated for long spells and created, but missed. a number of chances. In previous interviews, even after the defeat at Dingwall, he`s gone in the opposite direction, maybe praising the team too much.

I imagine he was quite angry yesterday, as we all were, at missing a great opportunity to progress in the competition and maybe this was reflected in his comments. It will be interesting to see what his assessment will be later in the week after he`s analysed a recording of the game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 10:19

Quote:

GG Riva, Sun 24 Jul 07:45

Quote:

The Toun Clock, Sat 23 Jul 22:24

Thanks for clearing that up, TC. I was more than a tad confused as to why you appeared to be criticising McPake for his brutal honesty.

I wouldn`t be too hard on whoever put it on COWS. It`s more the fault of our education system, which has consistently lowered the bar during the last 50-60 years. I remember having to analyse compound sentences in P7. Now it`s not even covered in `H` English and the general standards of punctuation and grammar among the majority of secondary age pupils is, quite frankly, abysmal. ☹

Many do not feel the need to be grammatically perfect and feel it`s enough to make themselves understood.

I have a wee dilemma with adding reviews to feature adverts. I desperately want to fix the grammer in the quotes but really need to keep the character true.
Sometimes I just have to fix them a wee bit.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: InschPar  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 10:20

I think it’s refreshing to hear the manager speak like that after the game.
Time will tell if it’s the right way to do it.
But the softly softly approach by Crawford, Grant or Hughes never worked during their times in charge.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 10:39

InschPar wrote:

> I think it’s refreshing to hear the manager speak like that
> after the game.
> Time will tell if it’s the right way to do it.
> But the softly softly approach by Crawford, Grant or Hughes
> never worked during their times in charge.
>
>
Absolutely, you just insult fans otherwise.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 15:55

Ah, GG,
The great delights of clause analysis at Primary School, when we distinguished between adverbial clauses of time, manner and place. Happy days indeed! But no more necessary for writing accurately than learning to read music is necessary to write a decent song. At our age it is always tempting to see a decline in standards; I remember an elderly Classics teacher, having endured my stuttering Latin translation, remarking: ’Before the war we did Greek here, you know.’

As PARrot pointed out, there is a demand for post match commentary straight from the horse’s mouth and that means transcribing the spoken word. Unscripted speech is not grammatical so any attempts to tidy it up risk taking away its immediacy. Reporting the manager’s views after the match with a smattering of quotes is what we remember from Jock Stein’s day but supporters today seem to prefer a more verbal format.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 16:08

I bet if Grant and Hughes had been as `brutally honest` about the players as McPake was yesterday they would have been accused of passing the buck.

Just a thought.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 16:13

Quote:

InschPar, Sun 24 Jul 10:20

I think it’s refreshing to hear the manager speak like that after the game.
Time will tell if it’s the right way to do it.
But the softly softly approach by Crawford, Grant or Hughes never worked during their times in charge.

It`s well known that Hughes didn`t accept a softly, softly approach during his tenure, and unsurprisingly, being an a***hole and alienating the squad didn`t work, who`d have thought?

There`s allot to man management, but slaughtering your own players in public very rarely has successful outcomes, that`s why managers don`t tend to do it.

We were very poor yesterday, however the subs by McPake were also very poor, and the squad depth(which he is in charge of) is shocking, I doubt the players will be chuffed with that interview when McPake hasn`t exactly covered himself in glory thus far.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 16:19

All this bunch of players are good at is getting managers sacked.. maybe McPake is beginning to see that

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kyle DAFC  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 17:32

“We have four very good strikers at the club, we have good attacking midfielders at the club.”

Direct quote from Mcpake - I’m very intrigued to find out who at the club he classes as a good attacking midfielder…

“To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment.”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 17:38

I’m also intrigued to know who the 4 very good strikers are too

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 19:23

Quote:

sammer, Sun 24 Jul 15:55

Ah, GG,
The great delights of clause analysis at Primary School, when we distinguished between adverbial clauses of time, manner and place. Happy days indeed! But no more necessary for writing accurately than learning to read music is necessary to write a decent song. At our age it is always tempting to see a decline in standards; I remember an elderly Classics teacher, having endured my stuttering Latin translation, remarking: ’Before the war we did Greek here, you know.’

As PARrot pointed out, there is a demand for post match commentary straight from the horse’s mouth and that means transcribing the spoken word. Unscripted speech is not grammatical so any attempts to tidy it up risk taking away its immediacy. Reporting the manager’s views after the match with a smattering of quotes is what we remember from Jock Stein’s day but supporters today seem to prefer a more verbal format.

I must say I didn`t find clause analysis "a great delight" at all. Having arrived in Scotland with no English just three years earlier, the learning curve was rather steeper than I would have wished.

I completely agree that perfect grammar is not strictly necessary to communicate effectively and I did think that it was almost certainly a verbatim transcript of McPake`s interview. It certainly reads that way. I also agree that tidying it up risks losing it`s authenticity and perhaps even something in "translation".

There`s also a video clip of the interview on COWS which may corroborate that, but I haven`t watched it.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 22:12

It`s not impossible that McPake`s obvious anger and frustration came from knowing the importance of qualification, and that his team had it in their grasp for the first hour.

He will have known that qualification would have resulted in a tie against a seeded team, with the extra revenue boosting his budget for new players. Queen of the South (one of our League One rivals) will now get the benefit.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 6000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 25 Jul 00:45

Stanza hits the nail on the head. It was not just the performance, but the very real loss of revenue and its impact on team enhancement that likely drove the manager`s comments.

As for grammar on the official site... there are several retired fans on here who can comfortably negotiate apostrophes and spell correctly. I, for one, would be happy to assist if requested.

The official site is the club`s window to the world. It should look as professional as possible, even if the team on the field don`t always meet our expectations.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DNCH  
Date:   Mon 25 Jul 06:57

Going out of a cup is disappointing (particularly given the format, our recent record and the reasonable draws we`ve had), but let`s be realistic. We`re not focusing on adding cup games to our schedule. We want to get out of this league within the next couple of seasons, right?

Getting a handsome away tie at one of the larger city clubs always brings that day out for the fans, a bit of revenue etc. but usually ends how you`d expect. Our ability to compete in those competitions will largely be dictated by the division we compete in (when is the last time a non-top flight team won a Scottish Cup or League Cup? I genuinely don`t know).

If McPake`s comments are him trying to instill a bit of ambition in the team then I`m with him on that one. He`s young, it`s been a few games. Let`s see what he can do.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Mon 25 Jul 08:22

think manager was brutally honest, reasonable play and possession. players have to take this to heart
in another post of mine i said we needed strikers, explained wrong ? perhaps we need goal scorers, that’s exactly why he said.
too many player having shots where one in a hundred go in, need to pass these more to increase chances
come pats it starts next week
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 25 Jul 09:36

Topic Originator: DNCH
Date: Mon 25 Jul 06:57

Going out of a cup is disappointing (particularly given the format, our recent record and the reasonable draws we`ve had), but let`s be realistic. We`re not focusing on adding cup games to our schedule. We want to get out of this league within the next couple of seasons, right?

Getting a handsome away tie at one of the larger city clubs always brings that day out for the fans, a bit of revenue etc. but usually ends how you`d expect. Our ability to compete in those competitions will largely be dictated by the division we compete in (when is the last time a non-top flight team won a Scottish Cup or League Cup? I genuinely don`t know).

If McPake`s comments are him trying to instill a bit of ambition in the team then I`m with him on that one. He`s young, it`s been a few games. Let`s see what he can do.

Hibs 2016 last non top flight team to win SC

Post Edited (Mon 25 Jul 10:56)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Jul 18:37

The manager seems to have mellowed a bit since his post-match assessment. Still looking to recruit and mentions lack of cover at centre back.

Dorrans still not ready to play; as well as Hamilton being suspended the article says Alloa captain and centre back, Andy Graham, is suspended for Alloa.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 28 Jul 18:59

This Dorrans carry on is pashing me aff.

A fit Dorrans would pash this league but you just know he`ll be unfit most of the season 🙄

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net