DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Seagulls
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 20:19

Don`t know if it was only me but I struggled to focus on some of the game trying to avoid being s##t on. I have never noticed this before. Has there always been so many gulls flying in and around the Norrie?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Seagulls
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 20:32

yeah I`ve never noticed that before either. Folk should consider eating only in the concourses
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par58  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 20:33

I totally agree horrible things that seem to get bigger and bolder. Hard to see the game through them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 20:39

Glad you brought that up. I`ve had my sandwich bitten out of my hand twice by the lousy blighters. Both times in St.Andrews and once last week at the golf. You would have thought I`d have learned my lesson from the first time. Just when I was about to enjoy my second bite a huge seagull swooped and ripped it out of my hand. They`re getting more and more aggressive. Cut my thumb with its beak too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 20:43

I blame all seater stadiums, especially ones where you can hear people unwrapping a sweetie.

Never had bother with gulls in the cage when it was rocking.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 21:34

Bird of prey needed
‘A hawk a day keeps the seagulls away’

Every 2nd Saturday for a couple of hours……. Job done
……….. As long as they don’t turn of folks steak Bridie’s

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sat 23 Jul 23:30

I noticed the hordes of gulls flying around. They have learned that a crowd at EEP means a supply of food.

All species of gull are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. It is
illegal to intentionally injure or kill any gull or damage or destroy an active nest or its contents. It is also illegal to prevent birds from accessing their nest.

Unfortunately the law ignores the move of gulls into urban environments in recent decades, as humans have indulged in throwaway cartons with uneaten takeaway food.

Individually and as a society we have to reduce their food supply by using gull-proof litter bins and limiting organic waste in landfill. Or change the law ...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (it will cost you nothing) when you shop online with one of 6000 retailers and insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 01:01

Quote:

Stanza, Sat 23 Jul 23:30

I noticed the hordes of gulls flying around. They have learned that a crowd at EEP means a supply of food.

All species of gull are protected under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981. It is
illegal to intentionally injure or kill any gull or damage or destroy an active nest or its contents. It is also illegal to prevent birds from accessing their nest.

Unfortunately the law ignores the move of gulls into urban environments in recent decades, as humans have indulged in throwaway cartons with uneaten takeaway food.

Individually and as a society we have to reduce their food supply by using gull-proof litter bins and limiting organic waste in landfill. Or change the law ...

OMG, Stanza, you really need to get out more
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: gegganpar  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 01:09

Quote:

Parfect69, Sun 24 Jul 01:01

Quote:

Stanza, Sat 23 Jul 23:30

OMG, Stanza, you really need to get out more

Need to shoot the f__kers because Alfred Hitchcock`s film the birds could happen eventually.

J angus blacklaws
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 01:16

Seaside league :):)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 01:33

You speak sense to me Stanza. No food = no gulls. Instead of trying to deal with the symptoms, number one - put some effort into stopping the problems at source.

And if a bird of prey could do the job on a match day - go for it.

Shooting them might be part of a solution but I think the main part is for people who can do something significant about it to engage brain unemotionally, generate ideas, and try them out.

A tad more useful than smug emotional responses such as `OMG, you really need to get out more` and talking fantasy nonsense about `The Birds` film.

Post Edited (Sun 24 Jul 01:35)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 02:11

Quote:

onandupthepars, Sun 24 Jul 01:33

You speak sense to me Stanza. No food = no gulls. Instead of trying to deal with the symptoms, number one - put some effort into stopping the problems at source.

And if a bird of prey could do the job on a match day - go for it.

Shooting them might be part of a solution but I think the main part is for people who can do something significant about it to engage brain unemotionally, generate ideas, and try them out.

A tad more useful than smug emotional responses such as `OMG, you really need to get out more` and talking fantasy nonsense about `The Birds` film.

Post Edited (Sun 24 Jul 01:35)

Maybe you should go out together, being smug ;-)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 05:55

Personally, I blame Chalmers...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 06:14

That was not the first time that I`ve seen them. What is required is a bird of prey, however failing that you can get a kite which looks like a bird of prey.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 07:50

Quote:

eastendalloapar, Sun 24 Jul 06:14

That was not the first time that I`ve seen them. What is required is a bird of prey, however failing that you can get a kite which looks like a bird of prey.

But a kite is a bird of prey........ 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 08:18

Why were the gulls circling at HT and beyond, do they not know there is never any food available then.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 09:01

And if it`s hot food they`re after they`re not likely to get any. Apparently. And if they do the Stephens catering might not be to their liking. And they`d better have cash to pay!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: oapar  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 09:06

Agree with Stanza, everywhere you look there is rubbish lying around because unthoughtful people open their car windows and throw their rubbish including uneaten food out. Why?
Keep it in your car until you find a bin or take it home, it still smells the same as whatever fast food you have eaten, which must have been appealing to you in the first place.
Seagulls have become a menace because of society`s attitude towards the environment, stop discarding rubbish and stop their food source.

Unfortunately nowadays, people look for others to solve problems they are creating.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 10:45

Given that the stadium has been largely empty for a couple of months, I`m not sure the gulls have assembled in numbers purely because they spotted the Stephens vans.

There`s a lot of young seagulls around and the parents are probably alarmed that so many humans have suddenly gathered in what appeared to be a safe place for them.

Of course, they are opportunists, so if they see a chance for an easy meal, they`ll take it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 11:21

Stanza is correct, and the “smart” responses are unimpressive.

They’ve been around EEP for a while, however yesterday was as bad as I can mind of.

They become aggressive if food is around - a couple of weeks ago I was buzzed several times by an angry one in Alloa near a fast food outlet.

There needs to be a change in the law so that urban gangs can be tackled.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 11:58

What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, an
eating machine. It`s really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is fly and eat and make little seagulls. And that`s all. There are two ways to deal with this problem. You either kill this animal or your gonna cut off its food supply.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 12:03

The Stephen`s bakery at Rosyth has a recording of various birds of prey calls played on a loop that is played to keep seagulls away. Something like that would work but not sure if it would need permission or something.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Sun 24 Jul 16:27

Ref: Parfect69
Sun 24 Jul 02:11

Your entire contribution to this debate:

`OMG, Stanza, you really need to get out more.`

`Maybe you should go out together, being smug ;-)`

Have you got any ideas of your own? Or are you happy there, like a wee dog that snaps at flies?

Post Edited (Sun 24 Jul 16:39)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net