DAFC.net
Home 09 August 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Contracts
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 4 Aug 13:55

When I heard about the increase in interest rates announced today and the consequent increase in mortgage rates it did make me wonder how the prospect of inflation of more than 10% affects the offers clubs like ours at the lower end of the market can make to potential signings. The size of our budget is relevant of course but what about existing contracts with players? Are there ramifications for morale if you offer a new player 10% more than the going rate for existing players? Some players will have the same agents so they will be aware of what`s going on no doubt.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Contracts
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 4 Aug 17:01

Tricky one, there`s no doubt players at our level will be worse off.

Most have one year left only, but I would imagine Championship players and league 1 will take a bit of a hit

Not much can be done though, up to them if they go PT at end

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 4 Aug 17:07

That`s quite an interesting point. Money buys less now than it could a year ago, and I would imagine some of our players will be earning less than the average yearly wage. Would one of our players be allowed to take a wee part time job to supplement their income?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 4 Aug 18:09

Might come to that, there`s no doubt people on just above average wage and below will take a serious painful hit, inflation really is the enemy here.

You are talking quite a chunk of most people`s take home pay, this combined with utility bills still to go up a whopping amount.

I can see players not wanting to go FT and who can blame them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Thu 4 Aug 21:15

It is not just players this will effect, it will be gate money also will people having less disposable income and prioritising their spend.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 4 Aug 22:15

Good points. FT football is not sustainable in league 1 and barely for some clubs in the championship either. Won’t be surprised if we see a few teams ditching FT football in the not too distant future.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Fri 5 Aug 10:17

Think we’re lucky we are relatively central in Scotland, will get harder and harder to attract players with 1 year deals if there’s an element of commuting involved.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Fri 5 Aug 12:34

Quote:

desparado, Thu 4 Aug 22:15

Good points. FT football is not sustainable in league 1 and barely for some clubs in the championship either. Won’t be surprised if we see a few teams ditching FT football in the not too distant future.

Yes agree. Alot of clubs struggle to balance the books. I think we will go back to how things were back in the 80s with many teams being PT. The external influence will be the economy.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net