DAFC.net
Home 03 October 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 The best fans in the world ?
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sun 7 Aug 22:04

Immediate action needed to deal with vile behaviour
There is a section of Celtic’s away support that, frankly, no longer appear to possess basic common decency. A chant borrowing the tune of Abba’s Super Trooper that glories in the deaths of Rangers figures Davie Cooper, Walter Smith, Jimmy Bell and Andy Goram was to be heard grotesquely loud and clear at half time of the club’s victory in the Global Energy Stadium.
Taken from the Scotsman on-line

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: The best fans in the world ?
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 7 Aug 22:40

No great surprise. Wish both sides of the so-called "Old Firm" would bugger off. You can guarantee this will be swept under the carpet.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 10:35

Almost every club with a decent following will include a proportion of idiots. It`s probably fair to say that the clubs with the biggest fan bases will consequently have more idiots. Step forward the fans of two Glasgow clubs....

What nobody knows for certain is whether the proportion of idiots, as a %age of the total number of fans is roughly constant for every club, but the gut feeling is that it is probably higher at the bigger clubs because :-

(a) more idiots are attracted to the more successful clubs and
(b) there`s a certain arrogance and impunity ingrained in the aforementioned idiots.

Having said that, these Celtic fans are well out of order and should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves but will probably think it was a good laugh.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 11:27

Perhaps it`s unconscious bias, but I typically find that any adult wearing a Celtic or Rangers top whilst not watching or playing football is almost always someone you`d cross the road to avoid.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 11:54

I’d agree with that Jake… and probably add in hearts to the OF teams as another club (and fans) with a similar attitude
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 12:55

I have a good number of friends and ex colleagues who are Hearts fans. None of them would dream of indulging in any kind of offensive behaviour - their team have won a little more than us over the years but only a little. I’m a long way from being a Hearts admirer (Pars fan man and boy - saw us beat them in ‘68) but I can’t equate them with the Old Firm.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 13:44

Quote:

jake89, Mon 8 Aug 11:27

Perhaps it`s unconscious bias, but I typically find that any adult wearing a Celtic or Rangers top whilst not watching or playing football is almost always someone you`d cross the road to avoid.

I would definitely agree with that Jake. Its quite handy when you see them on holiday though, gives you a pre-warning on who to avoid. Same with engerlund shirts and anything with a Butchers Apron on it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Zimbo  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 13:52

Never understood the need to get on a plane or walk along a beach with a fitba shirt on. Definite ‘look at me’ syndrome.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 13:52

Parfection - lots of us could say the exact same sentence about rangers or Celtic supporters we know…

The majority of hearts fans I know are orange lodge, “I was born under a Union Jack” types who have the same sense of entitlement as your typical OF fan. On the whole as an odious club and support
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 14:23

Most Hearts fans I know are fine. I used to live near Tynecastle and there`s a depressing element of "Rangers fans without a bus ticket" in their support. I used to work with one like that. Nice guy until in the pub and it would all start up.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 Aug 16:50

Quote:

saltonsgonagetu, Sun 7 Aug 22:04

Immediate action needed to deal with vile behaviour
There is a section of Celtic’s away support that, frankly, no longer appear to possess basic common decency. A chant borrowing the tune of Abba’s Super Trooper that glories in the deaths of Rangers figures Davie Cooper, Walter Smith, Jimmy Bell and Andy Goram was to be heard grotesquely loud and clear at half time of the club’s victory in the Global Energy Stadium.
Taken from the Scotsman on-line

We should bear in mind that such vile behaviour is not confined to the fans of one club - not that that justifies it in any way, shape or form. I`m sure the Ibrox hordes were rightly called out for singing ditties about Johnny Doyle when the former Celtic player contrived to electrocute himself in his loft, while trying to repair a fault. Closer to home, we had Falkirk fans making hissing noises after Norrie`s tragic death.....

Nothing will happen to those idiot Celtic fans, just as nothing happened to those of Rangers and Falkirk. Education is needed, rather than punishment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 13:34

The tinks from grangemouth got fined for throwing fake eyeballs in the pitch a few years back if I remember correctly. Yes all teams have them but it does seem to be a weekly occurance with the old firm and mostly goes unpunished and indeed unreported.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 16:08

Both clubs (especially Rangers) have monetized the bigotry and openly allow it in their stands as they know without it, they would have much less fans and income.

I have to say I hate Hearts almost as much as the OF, but never felt they encourage this behaviour in anyway. Its just endemic in certain parts of Scottish society.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 16:12

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Tue 9 Aug 13:34

The tinks from grangemouth got fined for throwing fake eyeballs in the pitch a few years back if I remember correctly. Yes all teams have them but it does seem to be a weekly occurance with the old firm and mostly goes unpunished and indeed unreported.

Was it the fans or the club who were fined, Cammy? I don`t think any fans of any club have ever been fined or punished for singing disrespectful ditties about footballers who have died young and in tragic circumstances.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 17:59

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 9 Aug 16:12

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Tue 9 Aug 13:34

Was it the fans or the club who were fined, Cammy? I don`t think any fans of any club have ever been fined or punished for singing disrespectful ditties about footballers who have died young and in tragic circumstances.

Sure it was a fan. Also 2 players one of which was O`Hara got suspended for taunting shiels for that. Wasn`t that long ago there was an investigation into the fans being racist to their own player. I hate this lot more than the OF.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 19:03

Every club has a number of idiots, it`s just that the Old Firm have far more and their idiots have it ingrained in them. It`s part of the club psyche to hate the Queen/Pope. Utterly laughable.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 19:04

I hate to say this, but I recall very clearly ripping into two young Pars ‘fans’ back in 2005. They were happily chanting away about the tragic death of young Falkirk player Craig Gowans. As we’ve said often, idiocy is not the sole preserve of one or two clubs and we have our share too. I’m confident the majority of Pars fans would have been as angry as I was that day, but it’s well to remember that we’re not immune to offensive behaviour in our ranks.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net