DAFC.net
Home 03 October 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Leigh Griffiths
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 14:36

He`s off to Australia to play in their third tier with Mandurah City. The season`s almost over I think so I don`t know what his long-term plans are.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Leigh Griffiths
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 15:19

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 9 Aug 14:36

He`s off to Australia to play in their third tier with Mandurah City. The season`s almost over I think so I don`t know what his long-term plans are.

I was thinking about him at the weekend and was wondering what he was doing and how quickly he fell out the game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Tue 9 Aug 20:59

Scary that he played a part in Scotland`s playoff match with Serbia to where he is now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 07:23

I mind seeing him in the crowd just before scotlands first Euro game against the Czechs on the tv. I actually felt a bit bad for him at the time as he genuinely looked quite gutted. I thought surely this’ll be the incentive to get his life back on track but it seems since then it’s only gotten worse. At his age and without his issues he’d probably still be Scotland’s first choice striker and playing at a good level in the uk. It’s easy to sit and judge the boy from what we read on internet sites etc. I’d imagine a lot of it is true and a lot of it isn’t. The thing is nobody is born a bam. Who or what has made him turn out like that? Has he had any guidance or good male role models? I doubt it. A lot of us sit and judge others while we conveniently forget that we may also be a bit of a bam too or maybe guilty of worse things than the people we like to point fingers at. Not just talking about Griffiths. The best ones are always players who are caught taking drugs or have a drink problem. A few hours after the match where we’ve joined in with the “alky alky junky junky” chants we are probably in a pub somewhere leathered while trying to find a free toilet cubicle to sniff our poor quality coke. The hypocrisy when it comes to public figures is mind-blowing.

This is not a defence of Leigh Griffiths or his actions. I just wish people would think for a minute. Have a look at your own existence before you judge others. We all do it. Including me.

Post Edited (Wed 10 Aug 07:25)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 09:10

"A few hours after the match where we’ve joined in with the “alky alky junky junky” chants we are probably in a pub somewhere leathered while trying to find a free toilet cubicle to sniff our poor quality coke."

Who exactly is the "we" in this ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 09:33

Quote:

General Zod, Wed 10 Aug 07:23

I mind seeing him in the crowd just before scotlands first Euro game against the Czechs on the tv. I actually felt a bit bad for him at the time as he genuinely looked quite gutted. I thought surely this’ll be the incentive to get his life back on track but it seems since then it’s only gotten worse. At his age and without his issues he’d probably still be Scotland’s first choice striker and playing at a good level in the uk. It’s easy to sit and judge the boy from what we read on internet sites etc. I’d imagine a lot of it is true and a lot of it isn’t. The thing is nobody is born a bam. Who or what has made him turn out like that? Has he had any guidance or good male role models? I doubt it. A lot of us sit and judge others while we conveniently forget that we may also be a bit of a bam too or maybe guilty of worse things than the people we like to point fingers at. Not just talking about Griffiths. The best ones are always players who are caught taking drugs or have a drink problem. A few hours after the match where we’ve joined in with the “alky alky junky junky” chants we are probably in a pub somewhere leathered while trying to find a free toilet cubicle to sniff our poor quality coke. The hypocrisy when it comes to public figures is mind-blowing.

This is not a defence of Leigh Griffiths or his actions. I just wish people would think for a minute. Have a look at your own existence before you judge others. We all do it. Including me.

Some excellent points made, Zod. Some folk are born into an environment which puts them at a disadvantage from the very beginning. With his talents, Griffiths should have perhaps been able to overcome any obstacles in his life`s path, but clearly he has had issues he`s been unable or unwilling to deal with.

Passing judgement on any human being, without knowing all the facts, is crass in the extreme.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: hurricane_jimmy  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 09:53

A flatmate of mine at Aberdeen uni was from Edinburgh went to the same High School as Lee Griffiths and was in a number of classes with him along with Stuart Dearden. He was complete headcase in those days apparently but as others have said though, there will be reasons for that that are not public and being in the public eye in the way that he has will have also taken its toll.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 11:44

I don`t know the background of many players but there was a particular crop of ex-Hibs guys who went from being real gems to gravel. Was it the pressure, was it mental health, was it temptation from being in with a bad crowd, boredom etc? Only they know.

I often feel some people aren`t suited to being in the public eye. I know people say players don`t read this forum, but we know they do. Seeing people telling you you`re crap, lost it, not worth the money etc can`t be pleasant. Even worse is people chanting songs about you. I`m still disgusted at some of the treatment the late Andy Goram received.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 12:21

Quote:

jake89, Wed 10 Aug 11:44

I don`t know the background of many players but there was a particular crop of ex-Hibs guys who went from being real gems to gravel. Was it the pressure, was it mental health, was it temptation from being in with a bad…

There does seem to be a pathway related to Hibs - hopefully a weird coincidence and not something cultural in their youth set up

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 13:33

They used to have a conveyor belt of players from Salvesen BC & Hutchie Vale, but I don`t know if those clubs are still operating.

Griffith`s brother was recently up in court as well, maybe it`s in their blood?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 15:47

Some people are just doomed from the start. They don’t get to choose where they’re born or what they’re born into. I always try and tell my wee boy to be kind to others and not to exclude other kids from stuff even if they’re a bit wild. Don’t pick on anyone who sticks out. Other kids aren’t as lucky as him and he has to appreciate that. Nobody knows what those troubled kids are dealing with at home. People like Griffiths obviously had a bad start to life. He had the chance to escape but like crabs escaping a pot, if one crab reaches the top then the others will pull him back down.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 23:05

Worked beside,a guy,who went to a football academy with him.He said ,he was not the brightest.But that`s his opinion.

Post Edited (Wed 10 Aug 23:05)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 11 Aug 10:31

"Griffith`s brother was recently up in court as well, maybe it`s in their blood?"

Half brother according to the papers.

Released by Penicuik Athletic - then Whitehill Welfare signed him, causing a mini "David Goodwillie" reaction locally it seems.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net