DAFC.net
Home 03 October 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Stand Master
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 15:44

Nice to see Fulham back in the top flight, and I see they still have the old stand and pavilion designed by Scottish architect Archibald Leitch, one of over forty all over the country through the alphabet from Annfield to Windsor park that he had a hand in building in the pre WW2 years of the last century. Who knows how many more he would have designed but for the war?

Sadly only few remain, some protected by listed status, though such measures did not see survival of the lovely old main stand at Tynecastle. Dens I think, some of Goodson, Starks Park, Pittodrie? a few more?

Boring soulless symmetry rules now.

Post Edited (Wed 10 Aug 15:47)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Stand Master
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 15:49

Home terracing at Palmerston is the biggest left in Scotland I think?
Airdrie`s pavilion was also iconic back in the day.

Episode 2 of East End Tales is out with Jim Leishman!

https://eastendtales.buzzsprout.com/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 16:42

Talking of wee gems-Dumbarton wee post box stand at Boghead, not just that but the cover on the terracing was from the platform of Turnberry railway station!

I believe the Ibrox main stand was a Leitch design as well?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 16:42

I was on a wee holiday in London a couple of weeks back and took a tube to Putney purely to have a snoop round craven cottage . Was hoping to get a good look at the new stand but couldn’t as it’s not yet finished and there’s all sorts of barriers up. The exterior of the old main stand is a blast from the past and a thing of beauty. Anyway, yes I agree, it’s a nice ground and the blend of traditional with ultra- modern seems to enhance both.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Wed 10 Aug 17:20

The stands behind the goals used to be glorified temporary scaffolding stands. Are they still the same? They were like a real budget version of the ones behind Killie`s goals.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Thu 11 Aug 08:28

Raith Rovers main stand is an Archibald Letch creation, the Main stand at Dens, The Rangers main Stand still has features left although it’s largely been redeveloped, Archie designed the Ibrox stadium of the first Ibrox disaster and was absolved of any blame due to the builders using sub standard materials. He was then recommissioned to build the next improved stadium

There is a fantastic book entitled Engineering Archie which is quite rare but if you are lucky enough to find a copy it shows all of the stadia and their design drawings, I managed to uncover a second hand copy on EBay for £35, they sell for upwards of £90

My friend Paul Town is an Archie deciple and has painted nearly all of his designs, he got me interested in Leitch’s work

Leitch was also the person who invented the crush barrier

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Thu 11 Aug 10:55

Thanks for informative responses, keep em coming!

You could say his stands were an enormous footprint in football history….groan

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Mon 15 Aug 12:13

Fratton park redevelopment/upgrade this summer has restored the Leich lattice

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Thu 18 Aug 21:12

Engineering Archie is a fabulous book. I bought it when it was first published primarily because it contains a section on Bradford PA`S old Horton Park Avenue stadium. It was sad when it was demolished but like most stands of its era it had a lot of wood. It is quite pleasing to know that the books value has risen.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net