DAFC.net
Home 25 September 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dundee United
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 17:29

Jack Ross must be sweating.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dundee United
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 17:49

What`s that? Shipped 14 goals in 3 games?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parallel Lines  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 19:24

Board meeting tonight he was unaware of...
Goodbyeee

I looked for my pet in all the books on animals and birds and then I found it in the Book of Revelations.Marty Feldman
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sat 20 Aug 23:09

He’ll get the bullet soon. Complete disaster from the Asos Ancelloti.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DNCH  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 05:42

There’s somewhat of a recurring theme here. Ross is a well spoken, intelligent, thoughtful guy who, apart from St. Mirren (someone can correct me if I’m wrong), is sacked everywhere he’s been. I remember his Sunderland and Hibs tenures ending in dismissal and it was labeled unfortunate or a similar term.

I don’t have the stats to hand but I’m willing to bet his managerial win/loss ratio significantly lists towards the loss column. He’s been at United for a handful of months and there is already rumors of dressing room unrest. This was a team who - albeit in a poor division - comfortably finished 4th. They’ve strengthened over the summer and we’re now watching a “win now” squad go the exact way we did last season. I watched his post match interview and he sounds like the same man who was giving it that “I need to look at myself first and foremost” stuff at Hibs when that squad was in free fall.

I like Jack Ross so it’s a shame but I reckon we all know how this is going to end.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: xgatesmafia  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 08:07

It looks like he isn’t going to be forgiven for that Alkmaar loss. I d rather have had that magical night at home and get a drubbing away against a class side who are in Europe every year, than lose both ties one nil. It’s utterly mad to be talking about sacking a manager 4 games into the season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 09:42

Didn`t see the game but the stats look like it was a fairly even game. St Johnstone had way fewer passes but must have been more effective with it. United probably passing it around at the back while st j were well organised and quicker going forward. United do sound like us!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 10:09

It`s a strange one. If JR showed he was a good manager at St Mirren, he can hardly have then subsequently become a poor manager. When he was at Sunderland, he asked the Board to strengthen the squad in order to secure promotion. He was told the squad was good enough to go up. When he was sacked, his successor was allowed to bring in a number of new players because the squad wasn`t considered good enough to win promotion.

The timing of his sacking at Hibs was a bit bizarre, too. As was the appointment of Maloney, who proved to be a much poorer manager than Ross.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 10:51

Ross Graham and Nicky Clark on the bench when they were probably 2 of their better players last year, didn`t Graham get an award?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 13:34

Goalie going to Celtic was a huge loss too, and from looking at highlights his replacement seems to be having a pretty rough time of it so far.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 14:23

Quote:

Jeffery, Sun 21 Aug 09:42

Didn`t see the game but the stats look like it was a fairly even game. St Johnstone had way fewer passes but must have been more effective with it. United probably passing it around at the back while st j were well organised and quicker going forward. United do sound like us!

St.Johnstone were at home to Aberdeen, lost 0-1.

The Arabs were soundly beaten 0-3 at Tannadice by St.Mirren - could easily have been a heavier defeat.

Post Edited (Sun 21 Aug 15:35)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 15:45

"There’s somewhat of a recurring theme here. Ross is a well spoken, intelligent, thoughtful guy who, apart from St. Mirren (someone can correct me if I’m wrong), is sacked everywhere he’s been."

He wasn`t sacked from his first managerial position at Alloa.......St.Mirren came in for him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 16:53

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 21 Aug 14:23

Quote:

Jeffery, Sun 21 Aug 09:42

St.Johnstone were at home to Aberdeen, lost 0-1.

The Arabs were soundly beaten 0-3 at Tannadice by St.Mirren - could easily have been a heavier defeat.

Ah sorry, getting my saints mixed up! 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 17:07

"Ah sorry, getting my saints mixed up! 😀 "

More Sunday school needed !!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:22

5-0 down to Celtic; that`s 19 goals conceded in their last 4 games with about half an hour to go.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:27

Dropped the goalie from previous hammerings but the new boy doesn`t seem to be coping any better !

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:28

Not looking good for Jack Ross. Something not quite adding up here. He transformed St Mirren from team struggling to avoid relegation into one that won promotion the following season, so has he gone backwards as a manager ever since?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:30

7 down after an hour. What a bore our top division is. I don’t watch much of the OF on a Sunday. The bits I do see are one sided in the extreme. There is no joy in watching heavy weights vs fly weights every week. Celtic fans loving it though- clapping and chanting in their de rigueur olive green north face fleeces. At what point do they get bored?

Post Edited (Sun 28 Aug 13:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:35

United certainly don’t have their problems to seek and as I write this it’s now 7 - 0. The gulf between these two teams is enormous and it’s a training game, nothing more. Celtic are bringing on 4 subs at once.
It is no wonder that there’s a gulf given the financial disparity between the clubs, and this chasm will widen as Celtic enter the CL group stages. I really struggle with the notion that Celtic and Rangers in Europe bolsters Scottish football. Celtic’s victories in Scotland outwith the derby with Rangers are just routine and the boredom factor is evident.
After our three losing cup finals against Celtic, thousands of their fans had left Hampden before the cup was even presented. Yawn !!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Steve mcgregor  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:45

Quote:

1985Par, Sun 28 Aug 13:30

7 down after an hour. What a bore our top division is. I don’t watch much of the OF on a Sunday. The bits I do see are one sided in the extreme. There is no joy in watching heavy weights vs fly weights every week. Celtic fans loving it though- clapping and chanting in their de rigueur olive green north face fleeces. At what point do they get bored?

I’ve asked a good friend of mine who is Celtic daft, asked the question and there answer is “ Never, we want to smash all these teams to remind them of who we are”

Could say it’s arrogant but can we blame them. Celtic are miles in front of the whole of Scottish Football
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:47

Nice of them to stand in solidarity with Bournemouth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:47

Imagine Jack Ross might be sacked tonight 😂😂 8 nil make that 9 😂

Post Edited (Sun 28 Aug 13:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:51

Lololololol

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:51

Eeesh! That has to be it for Ross. Shame. Seems to be one of the good guys. But everything’s gone totally pear-shaped this season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:52

Very embarrassing for AZ Alkmaar.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:57

At least that wipes our 8-1 defeat at east end off the record books!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 14:04

That`s 23 goals conceded in their last four games. Haven`t they just signed a Ugandan striker?

Ex-United striker Stephen Thompson reckoned a few players `chucked it`.

Post Edited (Sun 28 Aug 14:07)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 14:07

Pathetic performance from Dundee Utd.

The greatest trick Jack Ross ever pulled was convincing Chairmen that he was a decent football manager.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 14:15

That’s Michael O’ Neill available again after being sacked by stoke too. He lives in Edinburgh. I reckon he’ll be the next Utd or Hibs manager.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 14:32

The problem with women`s football is you have teams getting horsed 8-0.
That kind of nonsense doesn`t happen in the men`s game. It`s far more competitive.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 14:38

Quote:

RossF, Sun 28 Aug 13:57

Unfortunately it can’t erase the fact that Lennon scored that day……..his only Celtic goal ?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 17:07

Quote:

veteraneastender, Sun 28 Aug 14:38

Quote:

RossF, Sun 28 Aug 13:57

Unfortunately it can’t erase the fact that Lennon scored that day……..his only Celtic goal ?

Aberdeen got beat 9-0 at Celtic park in 2010

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 17:16

BBC are reporting it as Celtic`s record away win and United`s record home defeat.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 17:21

hahahahaha
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 17:27

Did Lennon score in the 9-0 v the Dons.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 17:31

I think Lennon scored a couple against us unfortunately.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 18:51

Neil Lennon only scored 3 goals for Celtic and 2 of them were against us. Both at EEP.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 20:55

“we want to smash all these teams to remind them of who we are”

Don’t be too surprised then, that fans of ‘all these teams’ are delighted when The Old Firm get a doing in Europe.
I’m no lover at all of Dundee Utd but I couldn’t enjoy what happened to them today. Celtic fans, a number of whom will be paid up members of ‘the Dundee Bhoys’, chanting “we want ten” was horrible. I know there’s no sentiment in football, but today was akin to watching,and supporting, Tyson Fury leather seven bells out of a flyweight opponent. It’s not remotely a reasonable contest. Celtic are currently 37 games unbeaten - what a joke!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 21:55

Saltonsgonagetu, it was the joint highest home defeat in the new SPL. I`m pretty sure us and Hamilton were both beaten 8-1 at home

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 22:35

Quote:

Kessel, Sun 28 Aug 14:07

The greatest trick Jack Ross ever pulled was convincing Chairmen that he was a decent football manager.

He`s clearly missing John Potter.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roobz  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 22:57

With only a couple of exceptions, I find it hard to find anything amusing in any club getting a tanking by either side of the Gruesome Twosome. It can happen to anyone, including us, and for genuine fans who support their team for footballing reasons (ie not glory hunters or bigots) it is a horrible, horrible experience.

Perfection is 100% correct. With the millions pouring into these two from the Champions League ££££, it is only going to get worse and the gap wider. I’ve heard the usual guff spouted about the trickle down effect and it is completely, utterly wrong. All it means is they will buy more expensive foreign imports and if any other team does bring through a quality player they will soon be tempted by the team they have always wanted to rot in the reserves for.

Until these two move into the arena they think they are worthy of, Scottish football will remain in the dark ages that Celtic and Rangers keep dragging us into.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roobz  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 22:57

With only a couple of exceptions, I find it hard to find anything amusing in any club getting a tanking by either side of the Gruesome Twosome. It can happen to anyone, including us, and for genuine fans who support their team for footballing reasons (ie not glory hunters or bigots) it is a horrible, horrible experience.

Perfection is 100% correct. With the millions pouring into these two from the Champions League ££££, it is only going to get worse and the gap wider. I’ve heard the usual guff spouted about the trickle down effect and it is completely, utterly wrong. All it means is they will buy more expensive foreign imports and if any other team does bring through a quality player they will soon be tempted by the team they have always wanted to rot in the reserves for.

Until these two move into the arena they think they are worthy of, Scottish football will remain in the dark ages that Celtic and Rangers keep dragging us into.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 06:26

I watched the highlights on BBC Scotland yesterday evening. The commentary was dreadful, the commentator was sounding like a diehard Celtic fan, he was relishing in the way Celtic destroyed Utd. Are commentators not supposed to be neutral.?

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 07:52

In fairness to the commentators, they probably were… if it’s good football, individual skill or link up play then they have to get excited, whether it’s the first or the twenty first goal.

But I agree with the sentiment that this widening gap, exacerbated by European success and in turn prize money by the bigot brothers, does not make for an exciting or competitive league
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 08:41

Quote:

DBP, Mon 29 Aug 07:52

I agree with the sentiment that this widening gap, exacerbated by European success and in turn prize money by the bigot brothers, does not make for an exciting or competitive league

Celtic and Rangers are behaving rather like two large supermarket chains, intent on wiping out all the smaller shops. If only they would realise that football is completely different from the retail industry and that competition is healthy for the game and needs to be helped to thrive rather than eliminated,

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 09:08

Liverpool and Celtic fans have a new song 🎶"You`ll never score nine alone" 🎶

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 09:09

TBF, Aldi have just recently swapped places with Morrisons and are now the fourth largest supermarket chain in the UK.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 10:01

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 29 Aug 08:41

Quote:

DBP, Mon 29 Aug 07:52

I agree with the sentiment that this widening gap, exacerbated by European success and in turn prize money by the bigot brothers, does not make for an exciting or competitive league

Celtic and Rangers are behaving rather like two large supermarket chains, intent on wiping out all the smaller shops. If only they would realise that football is completely different from the retail industry and that competition is healthy for the game and needs to be helped to thrive rather than eliminated,

When they get pumped out the champions league, with possibly just a couple of points between them, a lack of domestic competition will undoubtedly be blamed.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 10:11

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Sun 28 Aug 14:32

The problem with women`s football is you have teams getting horsed 8-0.
That kind of nonsense doesn`t happen in the men`s game. It`s far more competitive.

And yet that spineless United team would win 20 - 0 against the Lionesses 🤷🏻

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 11:11

I should think so too. They will be bigger and stronger than the lionesses.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 11:18

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 29 Aug 11:11

I should think so too. They will be bigger and stronger than the lionesses.

It would be like lions against lionesses
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 11:37

Be careful of the WOKE, TOWK.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 11:56

I agree that Utd would probably hammer the Lionesses, but the Lionesses would probably beat the New York Yankees.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 12:14

Indeed. Never understood this need to disparage the women`s game by saying that the best women`s team couldn`t beat a very poor men`s team.
I mean Elish McColgan is a tremendous athlete and one of the best long distance female runners in the world at the moment. Alas if she was competing against men, due the biological advantages that they would have, McColgan wouldn`t even make fastest 100 over say 10,000 metres.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 12:48

If she was racing against a lioness she wouldn`t even finish . The lioness would catch her and eat her .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimDAFC  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 14:57

I would suggest that until there is a fairer distribution of the money or prize money in Scottish football the teams in the premier division when playing Celtic or Rangers should play mostly their young players or second team players and see how the old firm supporters enjoy winning in double figures every week. I bet they and the SFA or premier league powers that be would soon get the message.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 16:54

In the olden days when league gate money was shared between the teams there wasn`t as big a gap between Rangers and Celtic and the rest of the clubs.
Now there is always going to be an increasing gap as long as The Rangers and Celtic benefit from virtually full houses at league games and the vast riches from the Champions League.
It suits them but it`s never going to benefit the overall standard of Scottish football or improve the national team. This nonsense to justify the B teams in the Lowland league as a way of developing young players is just the usual pandering to The Rangers and Celtic.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-ticular  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 16:56

Dunfermline 10 Apoel 1 just saying like, felt sorry for them.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gthyde  
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 17:20

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Mon 29 Aug 11:56

I agree that Utd would probably hammer the Lionesses, but the Lionesses would probably beat the New York Yankees.

Arsenal boys u15s beat the Arsenal’s woman’s team 5 nil at the weekend
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 17:27

Quote:

gthyde, Mon 29 Aug 17:20

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Mon 29 Aug 11:56

Arsenal boys u15s beat the Arsenal’s woman’s team 5 nil at the weekend

I can’t see any female types (in any sport) fancying a run from third trying to beat a fielder’s throw to home plate with a catcher ready to pounce !!!

Post Edited (Mon 29 Aug 17:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 30 Aug 04:18

I don`t know... back in my school days, the boy prefects played the girl prefects at hockey. I am pretty sure the girls won. I still have a sizeable chip out of my shinbone received in that game.

On the Jack Ross thing, I noticed that Michael O`Neill, recently sacked from Stoke City, was being touted as a replacement. Do you remember when he was asking the SFA for 750k a year to manage Scotland? They probably dodged an expensive bullet there...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 31 Aug 23:04

Turned things round tonight.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Thu 1 Sep 06:54

A win`s a win , but i think it`ll take more than a 2-1 win a Livi to turn things around Eck .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 1 Sep 10:03

I agree, Parsweep, but it`s a start. Now the pressure`s building on David Martindale. That`s three defeats on the bounce.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Thu 1 Sep 18:56

I was at hospitality at the match and they were good over the 90. Livi put some pressure on with 25 to go but United deserved the victory. Played a lot of long stuff and played off fletcher with Harkes, Levitt and Watt from there.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Sep 09:44

The Courier are reporting that Liam Fox will be appointed manager and that he wants Stevie Crawford as his assistant.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Sep 11:33

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 23 Sep 09:44

The Courier are reporting that Liam Fox will be appointed manager and that he wants Stevie Crawford as his assistant.

I think Stevie would be a great appointment for Fox if he gets the job. Sadly for Stevie, I don`t think he has that ruthless streak that all the top managers appear to have, but he`d be excellent as the good cop in a good cop/ bad cop team.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 23 Sep 12:30

Fox and Craw confirmed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Fri 23 Sep 12:32

wonder if the club have a plan in case Mochrie gets recalled in January...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Fri 23 Sep 12:36

That might involve a new signing. Not sure if that`s part of any plan right now.

Episode 2 of East End Tales is out with Jim Leishman!

https://eastendtales.buzzsprout.com/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 23 Sep 13:37

Quote:

GJS93, Fri 23 Sep 12:32

wonder if the club have a plan in case Mochrie gets recalled in January...

Was Fox not part of the last coaching team? Surely he would`ve been at least partially involved in the decision to loan him out in the first place?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net