DAFC.net
Home 01 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Kelty Rangers
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 13:07

They`ve always struck me as a club who lean towards the blue part of the dark side, but the butchers aprons so proudly put on display yesterday confirmed it beyond doubt.

Hopefully they draw Sevco at home in the cup so they can have one massive group tug....

The artist formerly known as KGB / Slim Hoolie
[IP address logged]
 Re: Kelty Rangers
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 13:37

What’s the difference between a Kelty hearts Union Jack in the colours of the club and the Pars Union Jack in black and white?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 13:39

The union jacks at Kelty were not in club colours, however to answer your question - there`s no difference whatsoever. The black & white flag you refer to turns my stomach every time I see it.

The flags and the muppets displaying them can all GTF.

Post Edited (Sun 21 Aug 13:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ben,D.A  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 14:10

I`m almost sure that Kelty Rangers once existed in some form back in the sixties, and didn`t the rangers goalie, David Niven, not come from Ketly?

only 11 make the team,the rest can just but dream.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 14:31

Quote:

Ben,D.A, Sun 21 Aug 14:10

I`m almost sure that Kelty Rangers once existed in some form back in the sixties, and didn`t the rangers goalie, David Niven, not come from Ketly?

David Niven was an Oscar winning British actor !!!

George Niven was the Rangers keeper.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 14:33

Quote:

David Niven was a famous film star. If you mean George Niven, I believe he was born in Blairhall - whether or not he had any connection with Kelty I can`t say.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 14:50

I remember back in the day late 70`s the only Pars supporters bus that went to away games was the Kelty Pars Supporters bus.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 15:11

There was a George Niven connection with Kelty - after he retired from playing.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/obituaries/george-niven-2469199

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 17:22

Kelty and Cowdenbeath have always had strong Rangers fantom sadly. In the latter`s case it has meant that their slide to the bottom of the Lowland League barely registers with the locals. For the former, thankfully there were a lot of young kids I`m the home end, with many young boys and girls wearing Kelty tops so hopefully there will be a long-term benefit. The older ones will struggle to change their tune though; I overheard two stewards bemoaning the fact Hibs had scored a late equaliser in the lunch time kick off and there was a Rangers flag flying from one window (not to mention the ultra tacky fence with Rangers crest on it) just a hundred yards or so away from New Central Park.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 18:19

Quote:

Ormiston_Par, Sun 21 Aug 13:39

The union jacks at Kelty were not in club colours, however to answer your question - there`s no difference whatsoever. The black & white flag you refer to turns my stomach every time I see it.

The flags and the muppets displaying them can all GTF.

What`s wrong with the Union flag? Why does it mean your a Rangers fan?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 18:56

Quote:

Stanza, Sun 21 Aug 14:33

Quote:

David Niven was a famous film star. If you mean George Niven, I believe he was born in Blairhall - whether or not he had any connection with Kelty I can`t say.

Kelty Rangers went out of business after falling into debt
When Kelty Hearts were formed they were going to be called Kelty Rangers but found out that they may be liable for the debt, so Hearts was chosen instead
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 19:16

That`s fine. If a Rangers goes bust you just pretend it`s the same club with the same history anyway 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 19:32

Quote:

londonparsfan, Sun 21 Aug 19:16

That`s fine. If a Rangers goes bust you just pretend it`s the same club with the same history anyway 😉

Why do you think The new Rangers were called Sevco at conception?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: firescot  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 19:46

I’ve supported the pars for around 40 years, 22 of them with a Union Flag on my arm as part of the armed forces. I am confused if I should now identify as a ‘muppet’ or a ‘secco’ fan, perhaps you could enlighten me with your view on this point?

Dunfermline 6 Albion Rovers 0. On my birthday as well, thanks very much.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 68guns  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 20:03

The Union flags were in club colours with the lighter blue background symbolising the away kit from a couple of years ago when the flags were given out to the kids who turned up most weeks.
But that might not give us anything to be outraged about so lets forget about that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 20:06

Quote:

firescot, Sun 21 Aug 19:46

I’ve supported the pars for around 40 years, 22 of them with a Union Flag on my arm as part of the armed forces. I am confused if I should now identify as a ‘muppet’ or a ‘secco’ fan, perhaps you could enlighten me with your view on this point?

Well first of all, let me say that I don`t appreciate the confrontational tone of your response. Putting that aside however, I`m more than happy to edify you on this - in short, you`ve completely missed the point. You also appear to have taken this very personally, which I have to say concerns me slightly - perhaps discussion on an internet forum is not the best thing for you.

The union jack itself is not the issue. What it stands for and what it represents within the context of being displayed at a Scottish football match.....that`s the problem. Anyone displaying a union jack at a football match in Scotland knows exactly what they`re doing, and they know exactly why they`re doing it. You`re not seriously going to argue against that fact, so let`s not pretend we`re so naive as to not understand this.

Incidentally, whatever tattoos you choose to put on your body are your business, and I celebrate your right to choose in that regard.

Thank you for your service.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 20:15

Quote:

68guns, Sun 21 Aug 20:03

The Union flags were in club colours with the lighter blue background symbolising the away kit from a couple of years ago when the flags were given out to the kids who turned up most weeks.
But that might not give us anything to be outraged about so lets forget about that.

I think your understanding of what "outraged" means is different from mine.

Convenient that Kelty`s club colours happen to match those of the union jack, incidentally... Any reason in particular they chose that specific flag?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 20:32

So, happy to describe someone displaying a Union flag as Rangers fans or ‘muppets’, but not happy when someone challenges you over it…..
You obviously have a serious chip on both of your shoulders with people that may just be proud to be Scottish and part of GB.
And don’t worry about my mental health old chap, which you allude to in certain condescending tones at the start of your reply, everything upstairs is all bob on.
If it interests you, the only flag I have tattooed on me is the good old St Andrews version…..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 23:27

Quote:

firescot, Sun 21 Aug 20:32

So, happy to describe someone displaying a Union flag as Rangers fans or ‘muppets’, but not happy when someone challenges you over it…..
You obviously have a serious chip on both of your shoulders with people that may just be proud to be Scottish and part of GB.
And don’t worry about my mental health old chap, which you allude to in certain condescending tones at the start of your reply, everything upstairs is all bob on.
If it interests you, the only flag I have tattooed on me is the good old St Andrews version…..

You`re being unnecessarily confrontational in both the tone and content of your replies. There`s absolutely no need for it.

By all means, wave your Union jack if you so wish - just keep in mind that doing so at a football match carries a certain amount of baggage and will invariably tar you with a particular brush.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sun 21 Aug 23:40

Kelty club colours are Maroon and light blue - not Union Jack colours, not rangers
Colours. Appears OP has a few issues in relation to a hatred of one flag, the Union Jack is not a Rangers flag just like St Andrew’s cross is not the SNP flag. You’” will have deliberately missed the large maroon St Andrew’s cross flying on the flag pole, or does that not suit your agenda.
To label fans as muppets or Rangers fans for having a Union Jack in their own club colours (pars fans too) says more about you than them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 00:03

To be honest, I wish our fans would stop displaying the Butchers Apron too, even if it is in our own black and white colours. To me, it`s as offensive as see a Nazi Flag been flown. We could do without seeing it from our support
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 01:22

I think the union flag in club colours for a lot of clubs is to do with that clubs so called hooligan`s copiyng the English. Hibs even have one, it has nothing to do with being loyal to the to crown for many of them.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 02:38

You’” will have deliberately missed the large maroon St Andrew’s cross flying on the flag pole, or does that not suit your agenda.

That`s the championship flag they got for winning League 2 last season. Not in any way comparable as it`s flown by the club in an official capacity, as opposed to being draped over the barrier by supporters. Quite embarrassing that you`d even bring that up, TBH.....

To label fans as muppets or Rangers fans for having a Union Jack in their own club colours (pars fans too) says more about you than them.

Does it, aye? Are you absolutely certain I haven`t just touched a nerve?

You`re either being deliberately obtuse about this or you`re just completely missing the point. The colour(s) of the flag are irrelevant - it is the flag itself that carries the baggage.

If you`re displaying a union jack at a football match in Scotland then you have to understand and expect this sort of criticism (the same goes for those flying Irish tricolours, by the way). It is a political statement, whether you want to admit that or not.

If I`m being completely honest, I think that ANY national flag is best kept away from club football. Fans are there to support their club, not a national team. I wouldn`t take a Scotland flag to a Pars game for the same reason I wouldn`t wear my Pars top to a Scotland game. There`s absolutely no upside and it`s only ever going to rub people the wrong way.

In any event, let`s not kid ourselves on. Kelty is situated in deepest, darkest Fife - the place is absolutely crawling with currant buns. You`re surely not going to sit there and tell me that a very decent number of the KH support don`t also have a "big" team...? Because that would be ridiculous, wouldn`t it?

Post Edited (Mon 22 Aug 02:42)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bamba-Daft  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 09:38

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 22 Aug 00:03

To be honest, I wish our fans would stop displaying the Butchers Apron too, even if it is in our own black and white colours. To me, it`s as offensive as see a Nazi Flag been flown. We could do without seeing it from our support

Read some utter tosh on here but that tops it. As offensive as a nazi flag? Deary me.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 10:19

National flags should simply be barred from grounds. I`m fairly sure this is what happens at Derry City.

What reason would you display a flag other than one of your own clubs colours at football? This seems to have become a bigger thing of late and is probably a result of living in a country where half want to be independent and half want to remain part of the UK, mixed in with Catholic/Protestant nonsense.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 10:54

Quote:

Ormiston_Par, Mon 22 Aug 02:38

You’” will have deliberately missed the large maroon St Andrew’s cross flying on the flag pole, or does that not suit your agenda.

That`s the championship flag they got for winning League 2 last season. Not in any way comparable as it`s flown by the club in an official capacity, as opposed to being draped over the barrier by supporters. Quite embarrassing that you`d even bring that up, TBH.....

Does it, aye? Are you absolutely certain I haven`t just touched a nerve?

You`re either being deliberately obtuse about this or you`re just completely missing the point. The colour(s) of the flag are irrelevant - it is the flag itself that carries the baggage.

If you`re displaying a union jack at a football match in Scotland then you have to understand and expect this sort of criticism (the same goes for those flying Irish tricolours, by the way). It is a political statement, whether you want to admit that or not.

If I`m being completely honest, I think that ANY national flag is best kept away from club football. Fans are there to support their club, not a national team. I wouldn`t take a Scotland flag to a Pars game for the same reason I wouldn`t wear my Pars top to a Scotland game. There`s absolutely no upside and it`s only ever going to rub people the wrong way.

In any event, let`s not kid ourselves on. Kelty is situated in deepest, darkest Fife - the place is absolutely crawling with currant buns. You`re surely not going to sit there and tell me that a very decent number of the KH support don`t also have a "big" team...? Because that would be ridiculous, wouldn`t it?

Behave yourself. Getting this worked up over a flag is pretty pathetic. Flags at games is absolutely fine. Where the line needs drawn is the singing of particular songs but I`ve seen no evidence of any sectarian singing at all.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 11:24

I wasn`t aware of the undisputable truth that sounds are more troublesome than images.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Skerla  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 12:40

“Read some utter tosh on here but that tops it. As offensive as a nazi flag? Deary me.“

Why is it utter tosh?
One signifies the invasion of countless countries, concentration camps, massacres and starving 30m people to death.
The other is the nazi flag.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 12:56

Arsenal banned all flags from the Emirates in the past because someone was bringing a Turkish Cypriot flag, and Arsenal didn’t want to get involved in that particular bone of contention or get into a situation where they had to have an official stance on each and every flag that someone might bring.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 15:17

Shall we ban Scotland flags then, seeing as we invaded England a few hundred years ago and slaughtered York, or is there a time limit on being offended by the Unions Flag?
The hypocrisy of those that call it the butchers apron from events hundreds of years ago, but enjoying and using their freedom of speech the flag today brings them is truly outstanding……

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 15:24

If that’s the most confrontational thing you’ve had as a reply, life ain’t to bad is it…Here’s a clue, if you don’t like your views being challenged publicly, don’t air them on a public debating forum in the first place.
Interested to know what you mean by I’ll be tarred with a particular brush?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 16:30

Were Celtic not fined for their supporters displaying the Palestinian flag?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 16:34

Wait till folk start bringing in statues......

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bazzler1981  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 16:35

[Post Deleted] - Deliberately provoking fellow DAFC.net poster(s)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 16:43

Just did a wee experiment. I searched "Newcastle crowd" and looked at the pictures. I then did the same for Manchester Utd, Liverpool and Chelsea. I`m sure they may be in there, but I didnt see a single England or UK flag.

I then searched the same for Rangers and Celtic. Guess what? Even searching Kelty Hearts saw maroon versions of saltires and union flags.

Does it bother me? Not really. Do I think it should be allowed? Not really. My view is you`re supporting your club, not your country. Whether rightly or wrongly, these flags are known to be divisive. I can understand it for European games or friendlies abroad, but not in games with clubs who all play in the same country!

I`m sure Rangers and Celtic well claim it`s purely coincidental that their team colours match that of particular flags, in the same way Rangers already claim to have an orange strip to celebrate Dutch players rather than a Dutch king...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 22 Aug 18:02

Quote:

firescot, Mon 22 Aug 15:24

Interested to know what you mean by I’ll be tarred with a particular brush?

You know exactly what it means. Stop pretending to be so naive.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

closed
 This thread is closed 
© 2021-- DAFC.net