DAFC.net
Home 30 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Have to say it, well done Rangers
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 21:55

As an adopted Glaswegian Pars supporter I just didn`t think Rangers had any chance tonight against PSV. But GVB and Co very well done.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Have to say it, well done Rangers
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 21:58

Agreed they were excellent tonight and it`ll be great to see three Scottish teams in the European Group stages. Always love to see the old firm get pumped in the Scottish Leagues but will always back a Scottish team in Europe. Hearts have a great chance tomorrow night as well. Couldn`t believe how badly they played last Thursday but at only 2-1 down, they`re still in it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 22:14

had a feeling they would win only lost 1 game against them and won in 1978

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 22:15

Who?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 22:18

Same here RossF, always cheered on the Scottish sides over the many years from the early sixties to this day.
Rangers have a very shrewd manager and a team spirit that can build on this result.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: twin par  

Yes that is a huge result.What people have to realise is,its a great boost ,to scottish football long term.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  

Quote:

da_no_1, Wed 24 Aug 22:15

Who?

They`re the new team everyone`s raving about. This is the first time they`ve reached this stage since then formed around a decade ago. Fantastic to see a young team develop so quickly. It wasn`t so long ago they were fighting it out in the second division.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 22:58

Quote:

twin par, Wed 24 Aug 22:18

Yes that is a huge result.What people have to realise is,its a great boost ,to scottish football long term.

Specifically how?

Please answer with evidence to the huge boost Scottish football received long term after Celtic and Rangers got decent European results under Advocaat and O`Neill.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 23:03

It holds us in a better position, status wise,and,stops us being a back water in European terms.Buts that's my personal opinion, sorry it does not fit with your agenda.

Post Edited (Wed 24 Aug 23:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 23:12

Financially it means that us diddy clubs get a few crumbs off the table- keep us alive to provide cannon fodder for the old firm next season.

In terms of the coefficient thingy it means that a team like Hearts or Aberdeen get a wee trip to some little - known European outpost where they will lose.

Well done Rangers but you’ll have a hard job convincing me that any benefit from their European success will be felt anywhere outside Glasgow.

I only see the chasm between “ us and them “ widening further.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 23:18

Quote:

twin par, Wed 24 Aug 23:03

It holds us in a better position, status wise,and,stops us being a back water in European terms.Buts that`s my personal opinion, sorry it does not fit with your agenda.

My agenda is the success of Dunfermline Athletic.

I`ll try again. Specifically how does this potentially benefit Scottish football long term?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 23:27

In some people`s eyes the whole of Scottish football gets a massive boost when the two Glasgow teams do well in Europe. That may not result in a cash injection for our beloved Pars but it may mean a greater interest in the beautiful game up and down the land resulting in an indirect benefit even for us. I think it`s great for Glasgow and therefore great for Scotland. The city will be buzzing with supporters from major European teams. Takes me back to my childhood when we migrated to Glasgow from Cowdenbeath and my youth when Glasgow was alive with top European games. Some good news in an era of bad news. Try and enjoy without regressing to the provincial.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 23:53

Maybe a positive will be that with greater focus on the big two, the bigotry becomes harder to ignore.

Other than that “Scottish football” will not benefit one iota from the od firm being in the group stages. Would also like to hear clear arguments as to how it does….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 24 Aug 23:57

I`m sceptical about any significant financial advantage to Scottish football from the success of the OF in Europe but I do think there is some reputational benefit from it. It was embarrassing a couple of weeks ago to see Dundee United thrashed by another Dutch team, so hopefully tonight`s result has redressed some of that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 00:02

I`ve got to say, it doesn`t benefit Scottish football in my opinion, the money they get from this just serves to create a bigger gulf between them and the rest of the Scottish teams. I hope they both get gubbed in all their games
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 00:02

In what way would it be better for Scottish football if ALL our clubs were regularly unsuccessful in Europe?

The gulf in resources between the OF and the other 40 would still be enormous, so it`s probable that the best the other 40 could hope for would still only be an occasional cup success.

The national coefficient would fall significantly, so a high league placing might not even guarantee a Europa League place. (This season we had 2 clubs in the Europa League and 1 in the Europa Conference, largely on the back of OF performances.) OK, results so far have been awful, c`mon Hearts, but fans have had decent away days and that`s probably as much as DAFC can aspire to in the foreseeable future.

The quality of footballer willing to play in Scotland, with no real prospect of European football, would fall. This would have an effect on Scottish football as a whole, with even more armchair fans tuning in to the English Premier League.

Levelling down is not the answer. The reality is that only 2 Scottish clubs will ever have a realistic chance of doing well in Europe (very similar to lots of other small countries) so I would rather they succeed than that they fail.

But that`s just my opinion.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 00:13

To down,our clubs,in European football, is just down right daft.How can we progress, with that attitude
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 00:20

Quote:

twin par, Thu 25 Aug 00:13

To down,our clubs,in European football, is just down right daft.How can we progress, with that attitude

Maybe if they helped promote our leagues instead of showing utter contempt for anything to do with Scottish football, then I may choose to back them in Europe. Until then I hope they get thrashed each and every time they "represent" us.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 00:23

Actually, don`t the Scottish Premiership clubs get a financial pay-off dependent on how far Scottish teams progress in Europe? I don`t think anything percolates farther down though.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 01:23

Ah trickle down economics.

Which has served the UK so well in the last few years.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 06:26

Yeah, Rangers getting 25 million while Hibs get 25 thousand really helps the league.

As to the "Dundee Utd result was embarrassing" and "this helps raise the profile of the league" etc. crowd - 2 questions: 1. Do you honestly think people in other countries give a toss? (A wee supplementary question - do you see Sheriff Tiraspol get into the Group Stages and automatically think, "Hey that Moldovan League must be good, I wonder if I can watch it somewhere?") 2. Why do you care what others think of our league? English folk will always deride it as a farmers league their granny could score in no matter how those horrible clubs do in Europe, and that`s fine. I know it`s not true and I don`t care either way.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 07:15

Why do some get so excited about the “ coefficient “? On paper you’d think that the OFs recent exploits would have paved the way for the lesser clubs to do something in Europe. The reality is that I’m struggling to remember the last time a non OF team were involved in Europe beyond the tattie holidays- Aberdeen in 2008???

This season’s Motherwell and Dundee United results are a better indication of how the OFs success has helped the rest of us “ progress”

The champions league is designed to keep the rich clubs richer than the rest and, in countries like ours, it kills the domestic game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 07:25

Some folk on here have gobs a squeezed lemon would feel at home in.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 07:49

Surely all competitions are designed to favour those with the most money already? Sometimes it isn`t the case, but usually the team(s) with the most money will be most successful. That means they keep getting successful as they get the most money for being successful.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 08:14

They are a good team so fair play to them. It’s just a pity their fans are the scourge of Scotland. I’m embarrassed that they act as ambassadors for the country when they travel. So because of them I can’t really get behind them. Celtic are no better but in recent years rangers fans have up the level of scumbaggery to unprecedented levels.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 08:51

They sneer, point & laugh at everything to do with Scottish football that doesn`t involve them.

I hope they get pumped in every single game they play, never mind Europe.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 09:01

Wouldn`t be so bad if they spent their money in Scotland, buying players from other clubs instead of waiting till their contracts are ending.

That`s the result of Bosman though, OF buying players from other countries for millions and selling them on because they cant settle.

Authorities in England will be bracing themselves for the Euro draw, in case they are landed with their sectarian bile.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 09:48

Stanza`s post nails it and the points he makes are pretty difficult to counter.
Regardless of tonight`s result Hearts will still be in Europe, albeit could be the Europa Conference rather than League, thanks to the coefficient.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 10:12

It`s not that difficult to argue against. The new Rangers seem to be a pretty vile organisation, so taking any pleasure in their success seems a little bit alien to right minded people.

There is also little/no current benefit to the Pars in them progressing and getting more money, so it`s quite easy to rationalise the feeling that them getting a seeing to would be much better for everyone`s general well-being.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 10:28

It`s not that difficult to argue against. The new Rangers seem to be a pretty vile organisation, so taking any pleasure in their success seems a little bit alien to right minded people.

There is also little/no current benefit to the Pars in them progressing and getting more money, so it`s quite easy to rationalise the feeling that them getting a seeing to would be much better for everyone`s general well-being.

100% this. Rangers are a vile club. Utterly deplorable (which is quite something given they`ve only existed for a decade or so). I want them to fail, and fail badly.

They played well last night and probably deserved to win, but I really wanted them to lose, and I hope they get absolutely humiliated in the group stages.

Post Edited (Thu 25 Aug 11:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 11:06

It`s one thing thinking that Celtic and Rangers are vile odious clubs and enjoying watching them getting horsed in Europe. To argue that them getting eliminated from European competition is somehow good for Scottish football is rather churlish.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 11:09

Colak looks a really good signing.

Needed someone in to genuinely challenge and push Morelos who is unreliableq and Sakala / Cedric Itten looked well short of the required standard.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 11:12

Not to mention rangers foundation as an institution are built on ignorance, intolerance and hatred. I mean they play into their dumb fans mindsets by selling orange merchandise knowing those utter gorillas will lap it up. I’ve said it before but these are the low lives that hold this country back.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 11:20

"It`s one thing thinking that Celtic and Rangers are vile odious clubs and enjoying watching them getting horsed in Europe. To argue that them getting eliminated from European competition is somehow good for Scottish football is rather churlish."

How about giving £25m to the 2 richest clubs in the country does little to help the competitiveness of the Scottish League.

It`s frustrating that the other clubs didn`t grasp the opportunity to spread the wealth about when Rangers went in to liquidation and were begging to get their phoenix club into the league set up. Indeed, I still don`t understand why the others don`t mobilise properly and try and force something through.

Celtic and The Rangers could be allowed to keep every penny generated by Scottish football and would still leave for England or a European League if they got the sniff of a chance. As such, the others should try and force a re-distribution of the income whilst they`re still here.

Post Edited (Thu 25 Aug 11:21)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 11:24

TOWK

I think the `Good of Scottish Football` is determined by the performances of Scotland, not by the performances of the club sides in Europe. I don`t see any correlation between Rangers/Celtic doing well in Europe and our National team doing well.

Uruguayan teams are pretty poor globally, their national team perform at a level we can only dream of. Same with Croatian club sides. And Senegalese clubs. The list goes on.

By that measure I think the `good of Scottish Football` is pretty much independent of how far Rangers and Celtic get in Europe. I don`t think it really matters and, as I say, there are plenty of countries whose clubs are continental nobodies, but have extremely good national teams.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 12:18

Quote:

Paralex, Wed 24 Aug 21:55

As an adopted Glaswegian Pars supporter I just didn`t think Rangers had any chance tonight against PSV. But GVB and Co very well done.

You definitely didn`t `have to` say it.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 12:19

General Zod nails it for me.

Purple 3rd choice kit, the lettering and numbers on the home kit being orange. Flutey music at the start of their games to get the crowd going - They play up to the base of their support all the time and it’s despicable when they then try and roll out their “everyone anyone” campaigns to try and fix their ills. The other lot are just as bad.

I’d rather Scottish teams were represented by the likes of Dundee United gettin pumped 7-0, than the two old firm clubs who do everything they can to renounce their “Scottishness”, except when it suits them to have precessions to trophies.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 12:30

What some of you saw as "vile", I observed eleven men on a football pitch representing a Scottish football team, in a match they were not favourites to win, displaying great skill and team spirit. I saw a Scottish goalie solid as a rock, giving the performance of a lifetime, an English captain with the heart of a McCathie refusing to buckle. I saw the ball being sprayed from side to side and back to front by highly gifted footballers and PSV and their over zealous support being humbled. I saw great displays from Lawrence and Tillman and watched Colak roll the ball into an empty net. All of that in my eyes was very good and if Celtic reach the latter stages of the tournament I will be equally impressed. I just hope the Pars players were watching and we can compete with equal endeavour against Airdrie on Saturday.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 12:31

The SPFL clubs and all other clubs benefit from such European runs as Rangers last season, premiership clubs over 100k.
Yes old firm play up to their fans, so does our club and most other clubs for that matter.
Scottish Teams seem just happy to get Europe and don`t care about progressing, Hearts appear to be trying to buck that trend with squad improvements in the summer, all clubs have the opportunity to improve.
Overall it is excellent to have 2 Scottish clubs in Europe elite tournament for club football, of course it improves football here because it likely attracts players, just need to look at calibre of player within both squads now, same goes for any other team who really wants to progress.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 12:33

"Yes old firm play up to their fans, so does our club and most other clubs for that matter."

Where to start with this p*sh

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 12:53

Aye, we sell a maroon and blue away kit to represent our original colours. They bring out an orange 3rd kit to represent their heritage.

Much the same...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 13:01

To be honest I don`t think it makes a difference if the OF do well or not.

Any positives that come from it (better coefficient, more money in Scottish football, improved profile for Scottish football) are balanced by the negatives (a bigger gulf between the OF and the rest, pressure on other teams to overspend, the OF more likely to recruit expensive foreign players than invest in local talent).

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 13:07

Ref: Parboiled
Thu 25 Aug 07:25

Quote:

Some folk on here have gobs a squeezed lemon would feel at home in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Whichever side of this hullabaloo you`re on, this is quality. Well done Parboiled. Would make a good legend at the top o` the forum board.

I can`t quite reach that standard but what crossed my mind is:

Soor plooms anybody?

"the soor flavour is sharp enough to draw your cheeks in but the feeling is magical. The hard sooky sweet certainly refreshes your mouth and is a must try Scottish favourite."

Sugar free! I should hope so - or they`re no gonny be soor are they!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 13:17

"What some of you saw as "vile", I observed eleven men on a football pitch representing a Scottish football team,"

Except, of course, no-one is saying that. The Rangers team did well.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 13:22

Of course Rangers did really well, it`s an excellent result!

Fortunately though, like DA-Go, we`re able to have enough neural pathways to distinguish between a good football performance and an institution that significantly leverages bigotry as a means of its ongoing success.

Astonishing that someone further up the thread suggested that all clubs use similar methods to use their support base. I can only assume that person is having a rough day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 13:31

I was born and brought up in Glasgow`s East End, and was taken to Ibrox regularly as a kid. So I`ve seen up close the moronic and vile behaviour of both sets of OF fans, perhaps more than most. And there can be little doubt those same fans, perhaps more so the Rangers ones, have for decades tarnished Scotland`s reputation in towns all over the UK.

There are decent supporters of both clubs, but if anyone says they wish either club to do badly that`s OK with me, I completely understand.

But I just can`t buy into an argument that Celtic and Rangers losing matches in European competition will somehow IMPROVE the game in Scotland.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 14:09

Depends how you measure "improvement", Stanza.

For me, improvement would see clubs like Aberdeen, Hearts, Hibs etc put a meaningful challenge in for the title every now and again. Improvement would see a genuinely exciting top division rather than the procession it is at the moment and nothing but a gateway to champions league riches for the OF. Improvement would see the obvious gap close a little rather than widen.

If we are to accept that that`s just the way it is then you could argue that champions league cash does allow provincial clubs to buy a better standard of player. But it is a standard of player who will take that club to , at best, 3rd place. Furthermore, better players does NOT mean better games and better entertainment. We all know that, in terms of entertainment, the premier league offers nothing better on a Saturday than the league we are in. Many premier league games are every bit as turgid as ours and those involving the OF are usually ridiculously one-sided.

Post Edited (Thu 25 Aug 14:13)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 14:11

There`s a BBC article on the subject, setting out some of the issues on both sides of the debate.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61413676

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 14:13

Depends on your slant, Stanza. Anything that increases revenue for the former OF, will mean those two clubs can attract better players. As such, the standard of player in Scottish football will improve.

However, it also causes an even bigger gulf between the top 2 and everyone else - and less competition, when there is already none, isn`t beneficial to the game as a whole.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 14:30

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 25 Aug 08:51

They sneer, point & laugh at everything to do with Scottish football that doesn`t involve them.

I hope they get pumped in every single game they play, never mind Europe.

Absolutely this. They are scum.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 14:35

For many years now, the only interest I have in Scottish football is the league Dunfermline play in and Scottish teams in Europe. I doubt, unless we have another emergence of a "new firm" that anyone other than Rangers or Celtic will win the Premier league. It has become a procession but at least we have two vying for the title because for 8 or 9 years, there was only one. I suppose Real Madrid and Barcelona have ruled supreme in their league but possibly not to the same extent. It doesn`t look like football will die any time soon in Scotland so I guess we have to grin and bear it and satisfy ourselves with lesser glories at East End Park.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 14:51

Only way I can see it being positive is if allows the OF to sign big name players, like the era of Laudrup and Gazza did.

Unlike every other country, our Big 2 are a total turn off to home fans and, as we can see, if they don`t have any big names most home fans don`t turn up
(Which leads to them moaning that they should get more away tickets).
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 15:55

When I`m in charge of the Pars, they`ll get 500 tickets max. They`ll be put in the top corner of the away stand (250 top left and 250 top right) and they`ll have the police and stewards all around them, ready to throw out anyone who is abusive or sectarian.

F*** the situation we saw in 2004. Our last league game, highest finish in 35 years, a cup final next week and the "security" position themselves around the perimeter of the Pars fans, and watch as the fans of the former Rangers invade the pitch, following their own terrible season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 16:30

I dare say I`m pleased for the players and the manager. No one can deny that they eliminated a good team, even more praiseworthy when you consider they had to win last night after failing to capitalise on home advantage,

That being said, I take no pleasure on behalf the club and a significant proportion of its fans. As others have pointed out, any institution founded on sectarian bigotry - and one which fuels its Neanderthal following - is rotten to the core and should be weeded out of Scottish society. It`ll never happen, of course, because the political will isn`t there and the Establishment will continue to turn not one but two Nelsonian eyes, to an issue they refuse to see.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 18:09

Might be a long competition for Rangers from here on in....
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 18:10

Hope their new club dies. Today. Before 8. Quicker preferably.

Ep. 4 of East End Tales is out now with Colin Miller, talking about Tannadice from 1996

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/11735127
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 19:40

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 25 Aug 15:55

“When I`m in charge of the Pars, they`ll get 500 tickets max. They`ll be put in the top corner of the away stand (250 top left and 250 top right) and they`ll have the police and stewards all around them, ready to throw out anyone who is abusive or sectarian.”

I believe St.Mirren intend to reduce the allocation of two stands to Rangers’ fans down to one at their next visit………..and add £5 to the home support tickets to balance the loss of income.

Great way to alienate both sets of supporters.

Post Edited (Thu 25 Aug 19:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 19:56

Don`t worry, I`ll not be adding £5 to a ticket to subsidise it.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 20:01

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Thu 25 Aug 19:56

Don`t worry, I`ll not be adding £5 to a ticket to subsidise it.

Therefore the club would lose income due to the half empty away stand.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 20:32

We`d actually lose income due to a 5/6ths empty stand...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 20:36

I`m firmly with Da-go for president 👍👍

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 22:36

Sticks in the craw to hear talk about it being good for Scotland when both Celtic and Rangers have suggested they`d happily jump ship to the English Premiership. Both massive clubs who will never fully prosper in the SPFL but equally hold back other clubs by effectively hoovering up all the prize money and fans.

The Premiership would be better as a bigger league with clubs playing twice. It`s obvious to fans yet will never happen because that pair need as many opportunities as possible to play each other.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 25 Aug 22:50

Not good for Dunfermline so I don’t give a hoot.
They will make plenty money now but hope they finish bottom and get scudded every game ?

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 00:16

Raymie the Legend wrote:

> Not good for Dunfermline so I don’t give a hoot.
> They will make plenty money now but hope they finish bottom and
> get scudded every game ?
>
>

Would I be out of order in asking you if you have the same sentiments towards Celtic, Raymie?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunPar  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 00:19

Nope – I can’t stand them. They don’t represent Scotland in Europe with their union flags ……..same goes for their wee brothers in maroon………I wanted them both humped……..even though the jambos played brilliantly in first half tonight………

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 05:35

Remember when rangers were relegated and they threatened us all with Armageddon? Remember when that happened? No? All I remember was other teams flourishing. Imagine what would happen if both the OF disappeared? I’d imagine it’d be worse than what killed the dinosaurs. Armageddon ffs! The utter cringe!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 08:03

VEE you need to do more research on S Mirrens approach.

Their fans were consulted and voted for that approach. That’s how much they don’t want to give over more than their standard away allocation to the bigot brothers.

I’m all for that approach. And loving the whining that’s coming from them too, despite the irony of allocating away teams restricted view or indeed at start of returning to stadiums, no away allocation at all, imagine if that had been boot on other foot….!?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 08:51

I only had a quick look at the St.Mirren story.

It seems the extra £30 is being asked of the season ticket holders after they’ve purchased them.

In effect home fans (some of them at least) are being asked to subsidise the absence of away supporters - not sure how that will effect the home turnout.

It remains to be seen the effect on non ST holders, presumably their ticket price will be increased accordingly ?

Some reports indicate that St.Mirren don’t sell out their two home stands when the Big Two are in town, if that’s true then their approach to this matter is difficult to follow.

Prices for football are too high IMO, however that is a separate discussion.

I can’t think of any other business that wants to limit potential paying customers or turn them away.

It’ll be interesting to see how this pans out on the day.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 09:10

Maybe St Mirren will increase their attendance in their own stands if they restrict the number of Rangers fans?

It`s not as simple to say that they don`t get more than 3,000 now so they should just punt 5,000 to the Billy Boy Brigade.

That`s why I`d give them 500 and offer a minimal welcome. Mightn`t be financially optimal in the short-term but it might be more enticing in the long-term if you`re a Pars fan and know you`ll be outnumbering them 10 to 1.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 09:32

DA-Go for president for me too.

I`ll admit I don`t want Celtic to get scudded quite as much as I do Rangers. I used to detest both equally but since 2012 when the original Rangers cheating came to light, their total lack of contrition, and the zombie club that arose from the ashes of the cheats, I definitely loathe Rangers more than I loathe Celtic.

Also, the Pars got caught in the crossfire when the corruption Scottish football authorities decided, against every precedent in football, to promote an additional club, rather than `un relegate` another. It was shameful.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: incognito  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 09:46

It`s an absolute myth that the OF getting further in Europe is a benefit to Scottish football! The distribution of the funds is horrific and only makes the gulf bigger and bigger in Scotland that ensures no other team can get close.

They swan about with entitlement that they should be gifted everything because of their success in a two horse race. The fans themselves are a joke and presume if you have a dislike to one of them then you must support the other erse cheek. Neither of them support any other teams success so why should we?

The way the behave when travelling away is disgraceful and brings shame on Scottish football! It tarnishes us all with the same brush and to top it all of they are the only reason you can`t get a pint at a game.

I never have and never will support either of the ugly sisters! I hope they get pumped every game and relish in the moment when they do.

Scottish football will continue to go backwards with the OF in it and no one will change my opinion on it.

Here`s hoping they both get hammered every game.

Post Edited (Fri 26 Aug 09:47)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 10:53

How and when did it benefit us and for example Stenhousemuir or Peterhead when Celtic got to the final against Porto?
Or Rangers getting battered in Manchester?

Complete nonsense. It benefits them only, which is all they`ve ever wanted.

The rest of Scotland needs to seriously band together and fight for a more equal prize structure and setup because the gap will only grow wider. It shouldn`t go without saying that without all of our competition, there is no game whereas they`d both happily pop off ro England or a European super league.

Ep. 4 of East End Tales is out now with Colin Miller, talking about Tannadice from 1996

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 11:16

The distribution of funds and prize money is signed off and agreed by all member clubs, not sure how many times it has now been agreed on. This is not the OF fault they finish top 2, our club voted for this as did every other club.
It’s not like OF get more votes than anyone else.
Same goes for playoffs into top league, clubs voted for it.
Stop moaning about how successful other clubs are and find a sustainable model ourselves.
As we’ve saw during covid everyone was only interested in themselves Pars included sporting integrity goes out the window if you’ve a £ or 2 to consider.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 11:27

All of the foregoing posts above being relevant and well thought out and establishing real need for change, it occurs to me that such change isn`t going to happen any time soon. We could feel bitter about the situation and/or attempt in some small way to change it. For my part I`ll do what I`ve always done, support the Pars in Scotland and enjoy the European adventures of the two ugly sisters here in Glasgow, while remaining completely neutral to both in Scottish competition but enjoying real friendships with (admittedly aging) supporters of both. When it comes down to it, for me at least, it`s just 11 men on a football pitch giving their all in honest endeavour to win a football match and most of us can appreciate that.

Post Edited (Fri 26 Aug 11:52)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 12:00

Nah I`ll not stop complaining about it. If it`s the clubs fault then so be it. However, everything is geared towards two clubs and I`ll be damned before I accept things as they are with a quiet whimper.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 12:15

The Rangers can GTF. So can the other airse cheek.

Hope they both get pumped.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 16:25

Quote:

GG4, Fri 26 Aug 12:15

The Rangers can GTF. So can the other airse cheek.

Hope they both get pumped.

This.

Close this ridiculous thread

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 26 Aug 23:22

I only had a quick look at the St.Mirren story.

It seems the extra £30 is being asked of the season ticket holders after they’ve purchased them.

In effect home fans (some of them at least) are being asked to subsidise the absence of away supporters - not sure how that will effect the home turnout.

It remains to be seen the effect on non ST holders, presumably their ticket price will be increased accordingly ?

Some reports indicate that St.Mirren don’t sell out their two home stands when the Big Two are in town, if that’s true then their approach to this matter is difficult to follow.

Prices for football are too high IMO, however that is a separate discussion.

I can’t think of any other business that wants to limit potential paying customers or turn them away.

It’ll be interesting to see how this pans out on the day.

VEE, I suppose it depends on the business itself. Where you have a strong loyal base of customers who demonstrate willingness and capacity to spend more then you look to cater for that demand. Restrict supply to increase demand, create a buzz, all the market force stuff in play. Certainly wouldn’t be the first time a business has limited “potential buyers” to create a prestige of their product and make more money.

St Mirren took a very considered approach to this issue through several Fan engagement exercises. The ticket sales in the home end when the big two come calling fall off a cliff when both stands are allocated to the away team. Much the same way it used to happen at east end, lots of home fans would simply stay away from such games (the 3-2 win v Old Rangers I recall there being less than 1500 in the home end). There is a balance to be had between looking after your regular clientele and any one off income takes.

I find it an enlightening approach, and the fans voted for the extra £30’option to keep the stands free of away fans. Having seen some of the fallout at Livingston where along wth the standard 3 sides allocated there, some old firm had entered the home end too, and caused a fair amount of trouble. How st mirren Would react in similar circumstances will be interesting.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 27 Aug 08:10

I wonder if Rangers and Celtic would do a similar thing where fans pay an extra £30 towards victims of bigotry?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:41

On my way to the match yesterday I listened to a discussion on Radio Scotland about the benefits to Scottish football arising from having three clubs in the latter stages of European competition. Of course all the `pundits` thought it was a good thing. Any widening of the gap between the top teams and the rest didn`t matter because it was never going to narrow any way!

They spoke to an academic expert in football economics about the financial benefits to other Scottish clubs. He said each club would benefit from a `solidarity payment` of c£500,000 but they had to have an academy which met certain standards. Does anyone know if ours will? These payments will be made next season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:47

Only to clubs in the Premiership though I think. We’ll not receive anything.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 13:47

Celtic looking like hitting double figures against one of our bigger clubs is what the euromillions has done for our game.

However, clubs like United will be able to console themselves with the fact that the crumbs from the CL table will sustain them long enough to be next years OF canon fodder, get a couple of second rate players on loan and buy some new cutlery for the corporate suite.

Post Edited (Sun 28 Aug 14:13)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 15:00

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 28 Aug 13:41

On my way to the match yesterday I listened to a discussion on Radio Scotland about the benefits to Scottish football arising from having three clubs in the latter stages of European competition. Of course all the `pundits` thought it was a good thing. Any widening of the gap between the top teams and the rest didn`t matter because it was never going to narrow any way!

They spoke to an academic expert in football economics about the financial benefits to other Scottish clubs. He said each club would benefit from a `solidarity payment` of c£500,000 but they had to have an academy which met certain standards. Does anyone know if ours will? These payments will be made next season.

I heard that too Wee Eck. Very interesting, I think they spoke to St Mirren CE who said it was probably going to be around £600k which is about 15% of their annual turnover. I did miss parts of the topic but I think they also said Championship clubs were getting something. Stuart Cosgrove was arguing the point that it wasn`t good for Scottish Football as it would widen the gap, not just between Celtic and the rangers but between the different tiers. He did use Dunfermline as the example of a big club who currently find themselves in League 1 being disadvantaged.
So, probably good for the financial directors at top tier clubs, but bad news for compensation as a whole and, for us getting anywhere near the top tier
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 15:27

I didn`t hear Stuart Cosgrove`s contribution which may have been on Off the Ball. He was getting pelters from the pundits for being so negative about what they considered to be good news.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 28 Aug 16:21

One of the other things Cosgrove mentioned, was how Premiership squads were becoming bloated compared to previous years, so we are now seeing players that would have been playing first team football in the Championship, League 1, etc, kicking their heels in the top league. Bigger benches, more subs. Another thing that will be effecting us getting players in
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 29 Aug 11:54

We lesser teams should take some pride in the fact that by allowing the two great Glasgow teams to walk all over us and gain excellent shooting practice, that we are helping to instill a confidence and winning attitude, that will bolster their chances of success in Europe. Thus we play a vital part in guiding them to greater European glory.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net