DAFC.net
Home 25 September 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Will games be cancelled
Topic Originator: Parsdaft  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:20

With the queen Passos I’ll this weeks fixtures be cancelled?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Will games be cancelled
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:22

I`d imagine so

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:25

Did for Diana so i`d assume so for this. My mate does the ticketing for rugby games and he`d already been briefed to expect cancellations.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:26

Hope not
Most folk couldn`t give two flying ***** about it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:31

It`s not confirmed yet but we`ve been told at our work there will be 10 days mourning so if the games are cancelled in that period it could extend to next week as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:35

This week and next week will be cancelled. Funeral likely next Saturday.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:37

I see Hearts stopped playing tonight when they heard the news.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:37

A minutes silence will surely be enough
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:43

10 days` mourning would seem a bit excessive. Can the country afford it?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:47

Why would games need to be postponed? Last time a monarch died was Wednesday 6th February 1952. Pars beat Clyde 4-3 away on the following Saturday in the Scottish Cup when all fixtures were played as normal.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 19:49

I don`t think that means absolutely everything stops for ten days but think some games might be impacted. Believe the plan is only for one bank holiday based on what i know which could be wrong.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 20:06

Quote:

vasco, Thu 8 Sep 19:47

Why would games need to be postponed? Last time a monarch died was Wednesday 6th February 1952. Pars beat Clyde 4-3 away on the following Saturday in the Scottish Cup when all fixtures were played as normal.

A good precedent for Saturday, though I would hope our defence is a bit more miserly this time.

10 days off work did you say?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 20:10

Wish it was!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 20:10

If I`m right Diana was buried on a Saturday to stop works and schools getting time off.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 20:13

I don`t think games should be cancelled but I`m 100% certain that they will. The ideal thing would be to move the matches that clash with her funeral just in case people want to watch it, but apart from that it would be best to carry on as normal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 20:21

It’s all online. 10 days mourning with national day of mourning on funeral. However her wishes was for all business and everyday life to continue.
So any events being cancelled will be entirely up to each governing body same goes for workplaces, it is not a requirement.
If games are cancelled then it is what all clubs have agreed too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 20:25

Talk of this weekends GreatNorthRun being cancelled. 10s of thousands of folks out of pocket for accommodation etc. Absolute horse cack.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davepars  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 20:49

D-day + 10 is the funeral. Week Sunday

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:07

No domestic games were put off in 1997 - Scotland were due to play Belarus on the Saturday at Pittodrie but it was moved to the Sunday because of the funeral. I remember Jim Farry being absolutely determined that the game should be played as scheduled, citing `insurmoutable logistical difficulties`, but eventually he had to back down when some players, including Ally McCoist, said they weren`t prepared to play on the Saturday.

No games should be put of for this either. If people feel they don`t want to go to a game in such circumstances that`s fine, but that`s not really any different to what happens after the death of someone who we actually knew.

If someone is genuinely upset on a personal level then there should be no problem with that, but forced observance of grief is a disturbing thing.

I`d love for the Pars and Falkirk to say that we`re going ahead and playing next weekend as scheduled. If you surveyed both sets of fans, I`m pretty sure a big majority would care far more about football than a monarch. That, really, is the only thing that should matter. Imposing grief on people who don`t really care is not acceptable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:12

Quote:

the saline hill puma, Thu 8 Sep 19:26

Hope not

I think you will find most folk do care. By quite a massive majority.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:13

Diana wasn`t royalty by that time? It was just this weird mass grieving thing that snowballed, luckily I was in Hong Kong at the time.

If people want to grieve etc fair enough, but there`s no reason to stop anything.

Clearly anything that clashes with the funeral should be rescheduled, and in my opinion probably anything that day- this is more a common sense thing though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:16

Quote:

PARrot, Thu 8 Sept 21:12

Quote:

Hope not

I disagree
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:22

Don`t think that`s quite true Socks:

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co.uk/comment/princess-dianas-death-change-history-27876116

Kilmarnock game was cancelled prior to the international.

Lower League games in England were moved too and I believe England`s international was postponed as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:24

Quote:

the saline hill puma, Thu 8 Sept 21:16

Quote:

PARrot, Thu 8 Sept 21:12

Quote:

Hope not

I disagree

So do I
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:25

This shouldn`t effect our games. The game should be on, and if anyone feels so strongly about it, they can stay at home in mourning while everyone else gets on with life. Personally, I`m not a massive fan of minutes silences at football when it`s not for someone that meant something to either of the teams playing or a huge figure in the game. I do remember they had a minutes silence for her mother, I didn`t feel it was required, some people around me chose to stand in silence, I just sat and read my programme.
I do see the club have updated their profile pictures on Facebook to a black badge, again, not sure why they felt that was necessary, certainly didn`t make me feel more positive about the club
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:26

British Future think tank commissioned a survey in April up here in Scotland and found only a minority of Scots supported the monarchy… so maybe not?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:32

Junior games cancelled for the weekend. Getting mad first covid lockdown vibes about tonight 😂

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19, 10/07/20
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:33

Games will probably be cancelled but i don`t agree with that decision if it does happen
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:41

A few events cancelled already https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/62840622
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:41

Most people in Scotland had respect for the Queen but by and large are not in the least bit interested in the Royal family as was shown by the general lack of interest during the Jubilee.

England will be a nation in mourning in stark contrast to Scotland where most folk will just carry on as if nothing had happened.

We will however be subjected to a constant barrage from the broadcasters which will be very much Anglocentric. Not surprising really as the passing of the Queen is very much a big news story.

Me? I am sick listening to it already and will just leave the TV and Radio off and get on with life until the storm has passed.

I was more upset at the passing of an old lady in my street recently than I will ever be for the Queen.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:44

Quote:

desparado, Thu 8 Sep 21:41

Most people in Scotland had respect for the Queen but by and large are not in the least bit interested in the Royal family as was shown by the general lack of interest during the Jubilee.

England will be a nation in mourning in stark contrast to Scotland where most folk will just carry on as if nothing had happened.

We will however be subjected to a constant barrage from the broadcasters which will be very much Anglocentric. Not surprising really as the passing of the Queen is very much a big news story.

Me? I am sick listening to it already and will just leave the TV and Radio off and get on with life until the storm has passed.

I was more upset at the passing of an old lady in my street recently than I will ever be for the Queen.

Fair comments

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:46

The Queen wanted life to continue as normal but they will postpone things out of fear of bad press no doubt.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:54

Topic Originator: arpar like
Date: Thu 8 Sep 21:46

The Queen wanted life to continue as normal but they will postpone things out of fear of bad press no doubt.

The right wing rabid press will indeed slate any organisation that dared carry out one of the Queens dying wishes which apparently was to carry on as normal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 21:58

Quote:

desparado, Thu 8 Sep 21:54

Topic Originator: arpar like
Date: Thu 8 Sep 21:46

The right wing rabid press will indeed slate any organisation that dared carry out one of the Queens dying wishes which apparently was to carry on as normal.

They`ll keep selling their newspapers no doubt.

As for the games, they shouldn`t even be postponed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 22:19

Quote:

arpar, Thu 8 Sep 21:46

Did she tell you that herself aye?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 22:25

The Scottish Championship game on Friday between Cove Rangers and Dundee has been postponed.

Further announcement tomorrow regarding the weekend fixtures

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 22:34

Thanks LPF. I meant Scottish domestic football and my memory was that Pars games were completely unaffected, which was confirmed on a quick look on soccerbase. I hadn`t noticed that midweek games had been due before that for some clubs.

Saturday`s games seem almost a lost cause, even though I think it`s totally wrong for them to be off. However, I really feel we as fans and as a club should be vocal about our game against Falkirk next week going ahead. The complication is the unspoken intertwinement between football, politics and religion in Scotland, of which the monarchy is one part. However, we should have the strength to effectively say that we want no part in that - we`re two moderately sized clubs from moderately sized towns, the games between us are among the biggest of the season for fans of both clubs, and we want to play simply because we want to play football. Move it to Sunday if absolutely necessary, but get the game played next weekend.

Even though I was only 15 at the time, I respected Jim Farry over his stance on that Belarus game. Farry was one who seemed to almost enjoy constant criticism, but do we have anyone stubborn enough and willing to stand up for football to continue as it should this time? Probably not.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 22:38

No danger will games be on.

No matter your views on the Royals, the reigning monarch for 70 years has died IN SCOTLAND - games won`t be on. There`ll be a load of stuff on at Holyrood before her body travels from Waverley to London.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Sep 22:43

Quote:

AlterPar, Thu 8 Sep 22:19

Quote:

arpar, Thu 8 Sep 21:46

Did she tell you that herself aye?

No
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 06:33

Quote:

desparado, Thu 8 Sep 21:41

My feelings exactly, Desparado.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 06:57

Exactly GG? Surely even such a dedicated coat tail rider must have a drop of original drizzle of your very own to add?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 07:03

A lot of love on here for the lady in that street.

Episode 2 of East End Tales is out with Jim Leishman!

https://eastendtales.buzzsprout.com/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 07:24

I`m a nationalist through and through , but I`ll show respect for a woman who showed nothing but respect to Scotland .
If that means observing a silence , or even enduring a match postponement .
I personally don`t think that`s really such a big deal .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 08:09

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 9 Sep 06:57

Exactly GG? Surely even such a dedicated coat tail rider must have a drop of original drizzle of your very own to add?

Rightly taken to task for a lazy post. 🙁

I should have said "Pretty much sums up my feelings." I`ve never really minded the Queen, but I`ve no time for all the hangers on that make up the extended Royal Family, mostly funded by taxpayers money. A monarchy is an anachronism in the 21st century, but if that`s what a country`s citizens want.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 09:12

Well we are always looking to the Nordic nations as examples of enlightened, progressive countries.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 09:16

There will be no sporting events until after the funeral is what i think will be announced later today so that would mean we will have to postpone next weeks games as well
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 09:49

They shouldn`t be but I think they will be. There will be justifications about "respect" but also about the need for police to be elsewhere. Annoying as I can`t make a rearranged midweek game (which will cost Clyde more to host and will generate less income - so much for the energy crisis) and if the Galkirk game is postponed for the funeral I`ll be even more annoyed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 09:57

My own thoughts - Postponing this weekends games - fair enough. Next weekend as well? No.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 10:10

I`d think it would be the other way around if the funeral does take place next Saturday.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 10:12

move funeral to the Monday - games go ahead and we get a day off.

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 10:31

It was her wish for everything to carry on as normal.
I think they will honour that.
10 days of mourning will be voluntary, covering a lengthy enough period for everyone to be flexible and make their own choices.
Funeral will probably be a Sunday to avoid disruption.

Well thats what she asked for I believe.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 10:35

Cancelling a lower league Scottish football match is absurd. There`s no level of logic where a grown up society behaves that way. What am I meant to do? Sit still facing a wall until I`m told it`s ok to go about my normal business?

There`s respect and then there`s a form of collective hysteria. Hate this stuff. Britain needs therapy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 10:35

Quote:

Parsweep, Fri 9 Sept 07:24

I`m a nationalist through and through , but I`ll show respect for a woman who showed nothing but respect to Scotland .

Played a blinder in denying you independence

[Url]https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/14/scottish-independence-queen-remark-welcomed-no-vote[\url]
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 10:45

I heard on the news this morning that the period of national mourning would end 7 days after her funeral but it was still to be decided when the funeral would be.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 10:46

Quote:

jake89, Thu 8 Sept 22:38

No danger will games be on.

No matter your views on the Royals, the reigning monarch for 70 years has died IN SCOTLAND - games won`t be on. There`ll be a load of stuff on at Holyrood before her body travels from Waverley to London.

The moving of her body to Holyrood will possibly be sometime this weekend, expected to take up to 5 hours to allow people to pay their respects.

She is then moved up the Royal Mile to St Giles at some other point, so quite a bit of pomp and ceremony happening in Scotland before they even enter London.

Long week ahead, with a lot of money being spent, Police Scotland will be stretched to the limit, 12 hour shifts and leave cancelled according to a Plod I was speaking to.

Dress rehearsal was last weekend.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:06

All football in N Ireland tomorrow has been called off.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:13

Cabinet office guidance says no obligation for sporting events to be cancelled. Hopefully games go ahead as planned, but I suspect they may not.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dave67  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:18

https://strettynews.com/2022/09/09/premier-league-games-cancelled-following-the-queens-death/

April 2024
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:25

In Cycling, The Tour of Britain has just cancelled the remaining 3 stages! Madness

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:31

Now that the official recommendations have been released I hope that people will see sense and everything can go ahead as normal (with a minute`s silence or applause) from tomorrow. If the Great North Run is cancelled that would be scandalous.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:36

All 4 divisions in England postponed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:37

“Played a blinder in denying you independence”

Did she have a postal vote?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:38

Some will call it madness.
Some will call it respect.
Different mindsets.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:41

Quote:

Tenruh, Fri 9 Sept 10:35

Quote:

Parsweep, Fri 9 Sept 07:24

Played a blinder in denying you independence

https://amp.theguardian.com/politics/2014/sep/14/scottish-independence-queen-remark-welcomed-no-vote

Nah . The sheeple of Scotland denied our independence .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:47

The Scottish voters who were not convinced by the independence debate chose to remain in union.
They werent sheep, they were sensible people who made their choice.
Ive often said it isnt the SNPs job to deliver independence. It is their job to present the information that will convince the Scottish voters to deliver independence.
They have failed to do that so far.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:51

I can`t understand why it is taking the SFA/SPFL so long to issue a statement about this weekend`s games. I would have thought this sort of eventuality would have been planned for well in advance.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:56

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 9 Sep 11:51

I can`t understand why it is taking the SFA/SPFL so long to issue a statement about this weekend`s games. I would have thought this sort of eventuality would have been planned for well in advance.

It probably is and rightly should be debated between the clubs. There`s no need for mass postponements. None whatsoever

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 12:01

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 9 Sept 11:56

Quote:

It probably is and rightly should be debated between the clubs. There`s no need for mass postponements. None whatsoever

I agree which will more than likely mean mass postponements!

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 12:04

All football in Scotland is off this weekend per SFA website.

`Following meetings this morning, the Scottish FA, Scottish Professional Football League, Scottish Women’s Premier League, and Scottish Highland and Lowland Football Leagues have agreed that all professional football matches will be postponed this weekend as a mark of respect following the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II.`

Post Edited (Fri 09 Sep 12:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 12:18

Quote:

PARrot, Fri 9 Sept 11:47

The Scottish voters who were not convinced by the independence debate chose to remain in union.
Ive often said it isnt the SNPs job to deliver independence. It is their job to present the information that will convince the Scottish voters to deliver independence.

They bought Cameron`s lie abt the only way to guarantee EU membership was a no vote .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 12:42

An absolute joke. No-one in this country gives a toss. Scottish FA have totally soiled themselves and just went along with the English FA.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: helensburghpar  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 12:49

Ice hockey still on this weekend. Flyers away to Glasgow tonight and home to Dundee tomorrow. Think I`ll take in Dundee game.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 12:57

Quote:

Parsweep, Fri 9 Sep 12:18

Quote:

They bought Cameron`s lie abt the only way to guarantee EU membership was a no vote .

Politics forum for this p*sh

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 13:04

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with that.
That is why I believe a 2nd referendum is justified.
They still havent made a good enough case for it though. They are failing to convince enough people that it is in our best interest.

They aren`t answering the important questions convincingly enough.
If it was as sure as they claim, you would think it would be easy enough to convince a sovereign nation to rule itself.
They are struggling to get over 50%.

I dont think unionists are any less patriotic than separatists. They are just as passionate but believe union is in our best interests

We should focus less on anti english rhetoric and build a convincing case for an amicable divorce.
They have been trying for a long time and despite long periods of despised Tory governments, they are still not clear.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARadise  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 13:09

We live in such a strange backwards country
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 13:20

Quote:

PARrot, Thu 8 Sep 21:12

Quote:

Hope not

Yeah, I really don`t think that`s remotely true anymore...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 13:28

Quote:

da_no_1, Fri 9 Sep 11:56

Quote:

100% agree
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 13:30

Quote:

PARrot, Fri 9 Sep 13:04

Quote:

Quote:

I agree with that.
That is why I believe a 2nd referendum is justified.
They still havent made a good enough case for it though. They are failing to convince enough people that it is in our best interest.

They aren`t answering the important questions convincingly enough.
If it was as sure as they claim, you would think it would be easy enough to convince a sovereign nation to rule itself.
They are struggling to get over 50%.

I dont think unionists are any less patriotic than separatists. They are just as passionate but believe union is in our best interests

We should focus less on anti english rhetoric and build a convincing case for an amicable divorce.
They have been trying for a long time and despite long periods of despised Tory governments, they are still not clear.

Prior to the last vote I`m sure support was around 30%. Now it`s 48% before campaigning even starts. No surprise Truss is capping herself to introduce Referendum reform
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:00

Respect is normally paid but having a silence or applause etc. I don`t see how cancelling all the matches is a mark of respect. Even the guidance says that it`s not necessary but once a bandwagon has formed they were always going to jump on it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:07

With some clubs living from game to game if the games are going to be postponed for a couple of weeks, will any of them fold.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:12

I reckon they have just pandered to Sevco tbh and sh@t it.

Spineless.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:15

What about the Falkirk game… take it that’s still going ahead then?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:18

Cricket is back on tomorrow as is the golf no consistency. Unless the funeral is next Saturday I expect the games will be played.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:28

Rugby going ahead as planned. Excellent statement from their governing body. Football is so full of sh1t sometimes

Post Edited (Fri 09 Sep 14:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:54

Only in England I believe and the games today were postponed so not quite as normal. Scotland and Wales the games are off I think.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:56

Sorry I meant this weekend

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 17:29

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-union/death-of-the-queen-scottish-rugby-matches-called-off-as-a-mark-of-respect-3837241

So did I mate!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 21:12

Italian news media reporting that the Queen`s funeral has been set for 19th of Sept. That`ll be our game v Falkirk off then? 🙁 I wonder if they would be prepared to play us the following day? 🤔

Would be better than midweek for attendance.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 21:15

Nah, I vote for midweek GG.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: obiwanyouknowme  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 21:17

19th September is a monday

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:19

That`s what I reckoned.

If so, no need for a Saturday postponment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dafc1996  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 23:30

Just read in the guardian that they expect the funeral to be on monday the 19th...and that also officials have said there was no need for sporting events to be canacelled...and that everything should run as normal up to the day of the funeral

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 00:00

Quote:

Dafc1996, Fri 9 Sept 23:30

Just read in the guardian that they expect the funeral to be on monday the 19th...and that also officials have said there was no need for sporting events to be canacelled...and that everything should run as normal up to the day of the funeral

Just like this weekend...oh, wait!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 05:31

Quote:

obiwanyouknowme, Fri 9 Sep 21:17

19th September is a monday

Doh 😩 It`s the friggin Auldtimer`s !

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 06:29

Thats what she said she wanted so nothing should be cancelled.
Respect is doing what the deceased requested.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 11:29

Is it possible this weekend`s cancelled matches will simply be rescheduled for this midweek?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 14:33

Falkirk game should definitely be rearranged - I go on holiday on Wednesday 😉

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 15:27

It`s unlikely that games will go ahead next weekend
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 16:18

Quote:

dafc-chris1, Sat 10 Sep 15:27

It`s unlikely that games will go ahead next weekend

Been speaking to Neil Doncaster, Chris? 🤔

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 16:28

Games are off because some fans of 2 clubs can’t be trusted to behave so every game is off to obfuscate the real reason. Applies right down to grass roots as the same tribal roasters playing amateur football will use it as on opportunity to goad opponents.

Already seen the Lizzies in a box chant at a game in Ireland so just delaying the inevitable and I wouldn’t be surprised if games were off next weekend to prevent that being chanted here in advance of the funeral.

Post Edited (Sat 10 Sep 16:28)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 16:33

P, I don`t think you`d have to worry about Rangers fans showing any disrespect to the Queen so if your theory is correct it`s only the fans of one club that will have caused the cancellations.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 16:42

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sat 10 Sep 16:33

P, I don`t think you`d have to worry about Rangers fans showing any disrespect to the Queen so if your theory is correct it`s only the fans of one club that will have caused the cancellations.

I’m also referring to the inevitable escalation away from the grounds that could come from acts of disrespect

Post Edited (Sat 10 Sep 16:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 20:18

Quote:

P, Sat 10 Sep 16:28

Games are off because some fans of 2 clubs can’t be trusted to behave so every game is off to obfuscate the real reason. Applies right down to grass roots as the same tribal roasters playing amateur football will use it as on opportunity to goad opponents.

Already seen the Lizzies in a box chant at a game in Ireland so just delaying the inevitable and I wouldn’t be surprised if games were off next weekend to prevent that being chanted here in advance of the funeral.

Seems 100% correct to me.
Why else would they go against her wishes.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 20:27

Apparently the reason games North and south of the border were cancelled today were because they didn`t want to risk any potential embarrassment from the reaction of crowd, and the media attention that may generate across the world. The Royal controlled media here a toeing the party line and the won`t allow anyone to show even the slightest hint of dissent
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 20:47

Doubt there would have been any serious breaching of minute silences or chanting like was heard in Ireland on Thursday. The exception of course could have been Parkhead so it`s a pity the game was postponed as the media storm that would have generated would have seen Celtic`s sponsors run for cover.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 21:17

So just kicking the can down the road then? Pointless.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 22:09

Like how it was in Manchester and London on Thursday?
There will always be a few pieces of scum that look to be centre of attention at almost every minutes silence, and we all know the one club in Scotland where the club has little to no control of a section who will embarrass Not just Scottish football but Scotland as a country, while the media and politicians keep quiet. Likewise on the other side of Glasgow depending on the situation.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 06:11

Quote:

dafc, Sat 10 Sep 22:09

Like how it was in Manchester and London on Thursday?
There will always be a few pieces of scum that look to be centre of attention at almost every minutes silence, and we all know the one club in Scotland where the club has little to no control of a section who will embarrass Not just Scottish football but Scotland as a country, while the media and politicians keep quiet. Likewise on the other side of Glasgow depending on the situation.

What happened in London and Manchester on Thursday, dafc? Was it reported by the BBC? Genuine question, I`ve not watched much TV since then because the coverage is completely overboard.

And who are the Scottish clubs you allude to? Why be so coy? There is more than one club which has no control over the idiots in it`s support. As a general rule, the clubs with the biggest followings "boast" the most idiots. e.g. It wasn`t widely reported, in fact the commentary team at Tynecastle made no reference to it, but some Hearts fans behaved in truly embarrassing fashion during the minute`s silence before their Conference League game on Thursday evening.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 08:01

“It wasn`t widely reported, in fact the commentary team at Tynecastle made no reference to it, but some Hearts fans behaved in truly embarrassing fashion during the minute`s silence before their Conference League game on Thursday evening.“

Mainly those singing GSTQ. Anyone trying that **** at east end will count themselves fortunate if they are only booed over.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 08:27

Quote:

pars4life1, Sun 11 Sep 08:01

“It wasn`t widely reported, in fact the commentary team at Tynecastle made no reference to it, but some Hearts fans behaved in truly embarrassing fashion during the minute`s silence before their Conference League game on Thursday evening.“

Mainly those singing GSTQ. Anyone trying that **** at east end will count themselves fortunate if they are only booed over.

I really dont see what is wrong with some folk singing GSTQ on the day of her minutes silence. Why should unionists be deprived of showing respect in that way?

Different obviously singing FTP or FTQ or the Sash and other belligerent songs but GSTQ is, whether we like it or not, the UK national anthem.
I hate the song but we are a democracy and I wouldnt deny the unionists the right to sing it on this occasion.
Any other time would be unnecessary and provocative but not after or before her minutes silence.

Post Edited (Sun 11 Sep 08:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 08:40

would be unnecessary and provocative but not after or before her minutes silence.

1. They sang it during the silence so out goes that argument.
2. The world doesn’t stop just cos you want it too for a few minutes, it’s still unnecessary and provocative.
3. Football matches aren’t where you go to ‘respect’. There’s a shitload of more appropriate **** being arranged for them all to meet up and be weirdo’s together.
4. They aren’t being deprived but they just don’t have a right to not have a reaction.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 11:01

Quote:

pars4life1, Sun 11 Sep 08:40

would be unnecessary and provocative but not after or before her minutes silence.

1. They sang it during the silence so out goes that argument.
2. The world doesn’t stop just cos you want it too for a few minutes, it’s still unnecessary and provocative.
3. Football matches aren’t where you go to ‘respect’. There’s a shitload of more appropriate **** being arranged for them all to meet up and be weirdo’s together.
4. They aren’t being deprived but they just don’t have a right to not have a reaction.

No need for the reaction though.
Singing it during the silence is just wrong. Silence is silence.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 11:24

So on to next Saturday, with European ties occurring and going ahead as planned, surely the Falkirk game will take place?

Ibrox trying to get their tie switched, seemingly due to lack of police resources.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 13:02

I don`t understand why they couldn`t have just postponed yesterday`s lower league games until this midweek. Sporting events like the England v S Africa Test Match and the PGA Championship at Wentworth simply suspended play for a day as a mark of respect and then resumed immediately. I can`t see why football couldn`t do the same.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 13:43

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 11 Sep 08:27

Quote:

I really dont see what is wrong with some folk singing GSTQ on the day of her minutes silence. Why should unionists be deprived of showing respect in that way?

Different obviously singing FTP or FTQ or the Sash and other belligerent songs but GSTQ is, whether we like it or not, the UK national anthem.
I hate the song but we are a democracy and I wouldnt deny the unionists the right to sing it on this occasion.
Any other time would be unnecessary and provocative but not after or before her minutes silence.

It would be a big problem since it would be GSTK that would have to be sung.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 15:09

Nae need whatsoever to cancel any games, respect could easily be shown at a match. I don`t believe that nice old lady would want to ruin football fans weekends.

Not cool!

RIP Qeenie, long live King Colin the Corgie as surely they can`t allow Prince Wingnut to be King, that would be madness on a sociopathic level.

Ps if that post was treasonous then I regret nothing and the magazines under my bed are not mine, I`m just after them for a friend as he`s having his..... er.....em........Stranger Things DVDs descratched.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 15:38

You can go the whole mile and tell us that your browser history was only for "research purposes", too!

I`m not sure what is treasonous and what isn`t at the moment. I guy got a bit shouty in Edinburgh earlier. Apparently it wasn`t appropriate for him to disturb a political event with a political protest.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 16:49

Quote:

arpar, Sun 11 Sep 13:43

Quote:

PARrot, Sun 11 Sep 08:27

Quote:

It would be a big problem since it would be GSTK that would have to be sung.

Jings min that was too obvious. Sung in retrospect obviously.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 21:11

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 11 Sep 21:18)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 11 Sep 22:58

Damn well better not cancel the Falkirk game. Will be thoroughly sick of all this fawning sh&te by next Saturday...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 06:37

Quote:

OzPar, Sun 11 Sep 22:58

Damn well better not cancel the Falkirk game. Will be thoroughly sick of all this fawning sh&te by next Saturday...

🤣😂🤣 I feel your pain, Oz. 🙁

Eta. You think it's bad Down Under? You can't turn the TV or radio on here, at any time of the day or night, without seeing or hearing a reference to our dearly departed Monarch. And they keep regurgitating the same stuff, too. Longest ever reign. 70 years. Only Queen most people have known etc.

I can`t see the logic in having football matches re-starting in midweek, both North and South of the border and then cancelling the weekend fixtures.

Post Edited (Mon 12 Sep 07:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 09:08

Anyone any idea when we might find out about this Saturday`s game. On or off. Thank You.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ianbd6  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 09:58

It was Bradford PAs annual beer festival this weekend. We organise it to coincide with a home game. Unfortunately our game was postponed. We share the stadium with a Rugby league club. No RL games were postponed. There were junior football and rugby games played as well as a couple of veterans games. There was also open age and junior teams having training sessions. A minutes silence was held before the games and I think the training sessions. I didn`t hear one person agree with the postponement. We have a game tonight (Monday) and we have been told that Saturdays games will be going ahead. An old Avenue supporter passed away on Saturday morning that was more of a talking point then the Queen passing. Anyway three points against Falkirk on Saturday and this inconvenience will be forgotten.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 10:08

"You think it`s bad Down Under? You can`t turn the TV or radio on here, at any time of the day or night, without seeing or hearing a reference to our dearly departed Monarch. And they keep regurgitating the same stuff, too. Longest ever reign. 70 years. Only Queen most people have known etc."

Thankfully we have Netflix !!!

Some of the mainstream coverage has been mindnumbing.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 10:19

Football starting back today in England, I’m sure our game Saturday will be on

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 10:59

Will probably hear news later today or Tomorrow on whether the games can go ahead at the weekend
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 11:09

Looking like plenty of games will be on? Those at risk will be where the police are having to redeploy officers to London in advance of the funeral?

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 11:49

EFL games are returning to the normal schedule from tomorrow.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Only one No4  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 11:49

Confirmed on SPFL website, games to go ahead as scheduled this weekend subject to police resources

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 11:54

Ok maybe now we can all stop complaining about decisions that were made and just focus on the football
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 12:04

GSTK should never be sung in Scotland, the words in the song speak about “crushing those rebellious Scots”
a minutes silence should be observed out of respect but I would soundly Boo GSTK

Post Edited (Mon 12 Sep 12:33)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 12:20

Quote:

1970par, Mon 12 Sept 12:04

GSTK should never be sung in Scotland, the words in the song speak about “quelling those rebellious Scots”
a minutes silence should be observed out of respect but I would soundly Boo GSTK

Those words were removed a long time ago and were likely never official as there have been various additions/removals.

Official lyrics:

God save our gracious King!
Long live our noble King!
God save the King!
Send him victorious,
Happy and glorious,
Long to reign over us,
God save the King.

Thy choicest gifts in store
On him be pleased to pour,
Long may he reign.
May he defend our laws,
And ever give us cause,
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the King.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 12:21

Booooooo

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 12:23

Minutes silence yes
National Anthem no
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc123  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 12:24

Games are on, im hearing that the SPFL will announce the anthem being played across all stadia. and rightly so.

if you dont like it the put your fingers in your ears.

Post Edited (Mon 12 Sep 12:27)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 12:26

But now the games are on can we get rid of this thread. it confuses the main stand sitters

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 12:37

If they play the anthem then they deserve all the boos that will follow it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 12:39

If you don’t like it being booed then put your fingers in your own ears as you sing it

It will cause huge problems in places where the independence movement is strong and also where one half of the glasgow two are playing

It’s not the right thing to play in Scotland, perhaps they should suggest playing something different although FOS would be equally as controversial

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 14:09

Why bring polotics into this? Our longest serving head of state has just died. show some respect

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 14:31

We are not being disrespectful towards the late Queen, as stated there should be a minutes silence which enables us all to pay our respects, no need to sing a song which glorifies the killing of our own people

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 14:33

`Of Our Own People` im not aware lyrics in GSTK even mention `Our own people`.

Casual racism doesnt sit well with me either.

I`d as the admin to remove 1970 Post.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 15:12

I think the SFA/SPFL are well aware that playing GSTK will result in virtually every ground having a large element of the crowd booing, just like at Scotland home games back in the days before Flower of Scotland was recognised.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 15:14

A minute`s silence would be appropriate and I hope this is done. I believe most supporters would respectfully observe it.

But I think it would be a daft decision to play GSTK, it would be inviting trouble at a match which will have enough flashpoints as it is. And as has been said, the song has been adopted (wrongly IMO) as the anthem sung by teams representing England, which in football terms is a foreign country to us.

But I don`t agree with the suggestion that those who support independence are automatically in favour of a republic - that is most definitely not the case. In June Ms Sturgeon said that SNP policy for an independent Scotland is “to remain as part of the Commonwealth with the Queen and her successors as head of state”.

There are also those (perhaps not many) who want to retain the Union but who would like to see the UK become a United Republic.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 16:06

The supposed verse about Scots was about the Stuart`s and was never an official verse. It was also hundreds of years ago.

Personally, if someone wants to do a minute`s silence or applause, I think they should attend an official event. Same for playing GSTK. It`s a game between Dunfermline and Falkirk. A local derby rather than a national event.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 18:41

As previously stated, a minutes silence for the Queen is appropriate and fitting, the idea of a subsequent singing about the New King is not really required, the song is offensive to a great many Scottish people and this should be recognised

Whether the verse of the song has long since been sung it does not excuse the fact that the lyrics originally talked of Crushing those rebellious Scots,

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 18:52

According to the release the playing of GSTK or the minutes silence is up to the club.

"This week, as a mark of respect and in keeping with the period of National Mourning, home clubs may wish to hold a period of silence and/or play the National Anthem just ahead of kick-off, and players may wish to wear black armbands."

I don`t think playing national anthems is necessary at domestic sporting events.

Not sure what indapendence has to do with it though as Charles would still be King of Scotland even with indapendence.

Post Edited (Mon 12 Sep 18:53)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 18:55

Clubs are free to play it any game. It`s as stupid now as any other time. Royalist nonsense.

Episode 2 of East End Tales is out with Jim Leishman!

https://eastendtales.buzzsprout.com/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 21:02

Personally I don`t think a minute silence is appropriate at a game of football, except if its for someone with a close association with the club, or the opposition, or an important figure in the national game.
If you want to have a moment of silence there`s been plenty of opportunity this week and there will no doubt be plenty other chances to do it elsewhere.
If the club do decide to have a minutes silence, I`ll keep quiet, sit down and have a read of the programme.
If the club do decide to play GSTK, then I will boo it throughout
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 12 Sep 22:53

"Games are on, im hearing that the SPFL will announce the anthem being played across all stadia. and rightly so."

Is that what was said ? I don`t think so.

Isn`t it down to the club to decide if the erroneously so called "national" anthem is played or not ?

Could be an issue if the two clubs disagree, presumably the home club has the right to decide ?

Incidentally (pedant alert) - it`s King or Queen of Scots, not Scotland.......and they were addressed as Your Grace, not Your Majesty.

Post Edited (Mon 12 Sep 22:58)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net