DAFC.net
Home 25 September 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Minute`s Silence
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 06:47

Whether football matches in Scotland are postponed this weekend or not, following the death of the Queen, there`s sure to be a move to observe a minute`s silence when games resume.

How well this will be observed in this country, is anybody`s guess. I think it may vary from one ground to the next. There can be little doubt that the Royal Family is not held in such high regard North of the border as it is in England, although many Scots did have a soft spot for the Queen herself.

Individual clubs will be in a no win situation. If they don`t hold a minute`s silence for fear that their fans won`t respect it, they`ll be panned by the media. If they do hold it and their fears prove correct, there will be even more outrage.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Minute`s Silence
Topic Originator: elvis_lives  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 07:00

Every club will have one so I look forward to the mock outrage and point scoring especially where the two bottom cheeks are concerned.

Talking of bottom cheeks mine will remain firmly planted in my seat during the minutes silence.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 07:34

I would expect that if a minutes silence is undertaken, Pars fans as normal will show the utmost respect no matter what their feelings are for the person who it is to respect.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 07:36

A minutes applause may be an easier one. In a stadium with thousands of people there will always be one idiot who can`t keep quiet. The Hearts game last night had the minutes silence by some idiots shouting things and then some even bigger idiots retaliating by singing God Save the Queen, which was met by boos.

As a society, it`s quite pathetic that people can`t put their views aside for one minute, but that`s modern life.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 08:05

I will keep quiet if we do hold a minutes silence, will probably just read the programme or have a look at my phone while remaining seated. If other people want to stand and observe a minutes silence that`s their choice. If people want to boo during the silence that`s also their choice.
You can`t be a queen of a country that has around 30 percent of its children living in poverty, while you hide the billions taken out of the nations coffers in offshore accounts without expecting not everyone thinks you deserve silence
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 08:06

Poor elvis and his bottom cheeks. Never mind, perhaps they won’t be lonesome tonight

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 09:09

I shudder to think what the Green Brigade will do to commemorate the event. Something they think is `edgy` no doubt. Their choir was in full voice last weekend singing songs about Walter Smith and Andy Goram being dead so I gold little hope that they will display any sort of decency.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 09:18

Let Celtic/whoever worry about that.

I`m one of the ones who won`t be watching TV much until all this is done, but there will be a minute`s silence, and like others, I would probably just sit and observe it- but it absolutely should be done in silence.

Minute applauses are childlike, appropriate for much loved figures but not for, let`s face it one of the world`s most recognisable heads of state.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 09:18

I’ll be staying in my seat and won’t be particularly pleased that by staying quiet, I’ll be complicit in showing respect to an establishment I would disband tomorrow as I detest the privilege and patronage it represents.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 09:33

I will stand in respect for a lady who was still serving the Country two days before she died.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: incognito  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 09:51

If there is a minutes silence you can bet your bottom dollar I wont be silent along with many others! She paid millions of our taxes to silence her paedophile sons victims. If this was anyone else there would be outrage.

Our country is in the worst financial state since before the the war and we`re about to spend an obscene amount of money on someone who sat on a golden throne with a hat worth 10`s of millions every Christmas and preached about equality when over 30% of her people are living in poverty!

I never have and never will have time nor respect for paedo sympathisers regardless if they were privileged enough to be born to rule.

Out of date, backwards thinking royalty that offers nothing to the normal person.

Keep this tripe out of Football and get on with your day as normal! I highly doubt she would of cancelled her plans if an old lady from the toon passed away.

"Did you see what happened to the magic car?

It turned into a street!"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: oapar  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 10:40

Same as Steaua, how many people are still carrying out their duties 2 days before they die at 96? Appreciate many people have different ideas about the Royal family, but if our club holds a minute`s silence, it is about respect for a 96 year old and by failing to follow it and keep quiet during it, will reflect badly on our club. Unfortunately, respect is something sadly lacking in many nowadays.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 10:49

My first experience of a minute’s silence at a match was for President Kennedy.
That wasn’t observed very well to put it mildly.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 11:11

I expect there will be a diktat from either UK or Scottish government that football grounds must adhere to a minute`s silence whenever the next games are played.

Personally I have zero respect for the monarchy and would love there to be a Scottish republic during my lifetime, I`m 68.

I will not stand for the silence just as I have never stood for the UK national anthem. I`ll not boo though, there`s a difference between no respect for the monarchy and disrespect of the old woman that died.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 13:09

Can I turn my back and remain seated?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:08

Quote:

Andrew283, Fri 09 Sep 13:09

Can I turn my back and remain seated?

Aye but on those seats a canny imagine that it would be very comfy could always go for a dump during said minute though 🙃

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 14:44

Personally, I`d rather not be involved in a minute`s silence but I respect that others might, so staying seated seems like a good approach to me.

Or how about a minute`s slow hand clap 😉
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 15:15

"My first experience of a minute’s silence at a match was for President Kennedy.
That wasn’t observed very well to put it mildly."

Pars v Rangers at EEP, the day after JFK was assassinated.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 15:20

if I don`t want to take part in a minute silence I just stand in the concourse until it`s finished
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 16:00

Indeed vee, wasn’t it awful.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 16:51

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 9 Sep 15:15

"My first experience of a minute’s silence at a match was for President Kennedy.
That wasn’t observed very well to put it mildly."

Pars v Rangers at EEP, the day after JFK was assassinated.

I was meant to be going to that game, but it was raining heavily and the family friend who was taking me didn`t fancy standing on an open terracing (there wasn`t much cover at EEP then) so we went to the Regal Cinema instead. I think Rangers won 4-1 so I was rather glad I missed it. Can one of you elaborate? I`m guessing the disrespect came from visiting fans?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: neils  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 17:44

As above, personally I am a lifelong Independence supporter, but personally dislike nationalism.

For me, I would respect most protocol, but would not stand, ditto would not embrace the Union Jack, but it would be unthinkable not to have a minutes silence and not be observed.

I think of this like going to any religious occasion (which as an overseas employee for years) I have frequently done, as an atheist I respect the occasion at that moment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bazzler1981  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 20:52

This is embarrassing guys,

red-star-pars, the royal estate contributed £19 billion yes £19 billion to the British economy and received back £85million I 2019-2020 which was not from the coffers as you put it, it actually comes out of the £19billion she put in to the economy. Child poverty is due to government not the monarchy

Incognito, prince andrew was accused of sexual abuse not paedophilia which he’s never actually been charged or convicted of and like I said poverty is down to government not the monarchy

If my club wants to have a minutes silence for whatever reason I will stand and observe that minutes silence due to respect for my club regardless of my beliefs.

I’m not a nationalist or a monarchist I’m just fed up of people spouting 💩

Post Edited (Fri 09 Sep 20:53)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: k76  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 21:10

Fully agree Bazzler.

I am a nationalist and want Scotland to be be ruled by a Scottish parliament but we should always have a royal monarchy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 21:18

Where does that £19 billion come from? And why should they receive anything when the Crown and the Dutchy of Cornwall are two of the biggest landowners in the country, land that should belong to the people?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 21:54

Well if you want more facts Iv got them

Windsor castle and Buckingham palace provided £80 million alone from tourism you also have to consider balmoral holyrood house and the other umpteen estates that technically every British person owns its no theirs it ours
The royal collection took in over 79 million also
The crown estate which is the biggest land holding in the uk like you rightly pointed out contributed £486 million you also have things like the duchy of Cornwall that contributed to our economy

You want anymore??

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:14

"I think Rangers won 4-1 so I was rather glad I missed it. Can one of you elaborate? I`m guessing the disrespect came from visiting fans?"

Correct.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:17

Quote:

Bazzler1981, Fri 09 Sep 21:54

Well if you want more facts Iv got them

Windsor castle and Buckingham palace provided £80 million alone from tourism you also have to consider balmoral holyrood house and the other umpteen estates that technically every British person owns its no theirs it ours
The royal collection took in over 79 million also
The crown estate which is the biggest land holding in the uk like you rightly pointed out contributed £486 million you also have things like the duchy of Cornwall that contributed to our economy

You want anymore??

How do you have time to post ***** like this should you not be in mourning for your queen?

as has been pointed out elsewhere I felt more sadness for the passing of the old fella in my street the other week than I ever will for the queen or any other member of her family let’s face it none of them would p*** on you if you were on fire yet we are supposed to bow and feel sadness?

Nah I tell you what I’ll do I’ll feel immense sadness for the thousands of pensioners who will sadly freeze to death this winter **** the tories and **** the royals

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:22

GG, yes the noise and hate from a considerable number of the visiting support was bewildering and upsetting for a young lad.
In my young innocence I had no idea of the underlying religious aspect, I’ve been wary ever since.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:33

OK Bazzler, just pretend for a minute that you and I are pals, and I say to you, `I read that, according to his own website, Charlie made $24 million from the Duchy of Cornwall last year. I understand that the nation - by that we mean the Treasury? - makes quite a lot from it - and it mainly comes from rent collected from land owned by the Duchy? Let`s just say it might be $ X million to the Treasury? So isn`t it that, effectively, Charlie gets commission from the Duchy? $24 million might not sound like much but, what`s he do for it? It`s still a lot o` dosh that could be put to good use elsewhere. It`s just a line of thought.

And apparently Balmoral is a private estate that was owned by the Queen.

Quote: `Balmoral is a private estate owned by the Queen.`

Ref:
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/real-estate/g14106752/queen-elizabeth-homes/

Post Edited (Fri 09 Sep 22:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:35

19 billion my hoop. Show me those figures.

Episode 2 of East End Tales is out with Jim Leishman!

https://eastendtales.buzzsprout.com/
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: usurpar  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:44

If anyone seriously wants to understand the value of the Queen over the last 70 years, watch the ITV programme ‘The Longest Reign’. The extended Royal Family can be severely chopped, but the benefits of having a Monarchy, including the points made by Bazzler, are to my mind indisputable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:51

Some folk think it`s more than a matter of money though.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:56

Quote:

usurpar, Fri 9 Sep 22:44

If anyone seriously wants to understand the value of the Queen over the last 70 years, watch the ITV programme ‘The Longest Reign’. The extended Royal Family can be severely chopped, but the benefits of having a Monarchy, including the points made by Bazzler, are to my mind indisputable.

Was it a balanced show, offering similar time to both sides of the debate?

It can be quite easy to find something `indisputable` if you`re watching a programme which 100% backs up your existing viewpoint, with no dissenting voices.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Fri 9 Sep 22:57

The point I was making was - wouldn`t the Duchy of Cornwall and maybe other things as well - even Buckingham Palace, for example, make even more, if they were public owned and there was no Royal to take `commission` ?

I mean wouldn`t the Palaces etc. all make huge dosh e.g. as hotels, as well as for being historic attractions? Do they need to be owned by Royals any more to be attractions?

Under public ownership, might they make even more for the public purse than they do now?

It`s only fantasy anyway. Never happen in a zillion aeons.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 06:32

Quote:

Bazzler1981, Fri 9 Sep 20:52

This is embarrassing guys,

red-star-pars, the royal estate contributed £19 billion yes £19 billion to the British economy and received back £85million I 2019-2020 which was not from the coffers as you put it, it actually comes out of the £19billion she put in to the economy. Child poverty is due to government not the monarchy

Incognito, prince andrew was accused of sexual abuse not paedophilia which he’s never actually been charged or convicted of and like I said poverty is down to government not the monarchy

If my club wants to have a minutes silence for whatever reason I will stand and observe that minutes silence due to respect for my club regardless of my beliefs.

I’m not a nationalist or a monarchist I’m just fed up of people spouting 💩

Excellent post.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 06:38

I thought this was a football forum area.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 06:43

Quote:

Parboiled, Fri 9 Sep 22:22

GG, yes the noise and hate from a considerable number of the visiting support was bewildering and upsetting for a young lad.
In my young innocence I had no idea of the underlying religious aspect, I’ve been wary ever since.

Ah, thanks for that, Parboiled. I was just a wee laddie myself. It would probably have gone right over my head. I attended a very sheltered Aberdour PS for the first 3 years after emigrating to Scotland and wasn`t aware that there was a sectarian divide in the country at large. Now that I`m an old cynic, I can work out that JFK, with his Irish Catholic background, would not be universally popular among the Ibrox faithful

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 08:24

I would add that not long after that the other half of the OF were the visitors.

A long serving employee, a groundsman if I recall correctly, had passed away. The requested silence was observed without a whisper.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 08:27

A lot of people showing their ignorance on this thread. The Queen clearly loved Scotland and through her life helped promote our wee country all over the world. Have some respect Instead of greetn like wee lassies.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."

Post Edited (Sat 10 Sep 08:29)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 08:46

The main ignorance on show here is that folk are entitled to their opinion, and are allowed to express it.

ETA my gran loved Scotland too. What was your point?

Post Edited (Sat 10 Sep 08:47)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 09:16

Quote:

Parboiled, Sat 10 Sep 08:24

I would add that not long after that the other half of the OF were the visitors.

A long serving employee, a groundsman if I recall correctly, had passed away. The requested silence was observed without a whisper.

I have to say that I`m not overly surprised to hear that. Apart from the obnoxious Green Brigade, they are largely OK and don`t appear to suffer from the same sense of entitlement which is so manifest in their Ibrox counterparts. Having said that, had the groundsman been a prominent member of the OO, he might well have been accorded the same "respect" given to JFK. 🙁

Eta. I was at that game. Charlie Dickson scored the only goal with his knee after a mistake by Billy McNeil in the 10th minute. Big crowd, too. Happy days,

Post Edited (Sat 10 Sep 09:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DrumRoad  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 09:27

A minutes applause would solve the dissent issues, a minutes silence is a whole new ball game as a single action from within a crowd of thousands will skew the anti monarchy feelings

Don’t want to, then don’t clap & stay seated, you will still be noticed by those around you but won’t risk embarrassing the club who without doubt will wish to follow protocol

2015/16 League one Winners
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 10:27

Quote:

fcda, Sat 10 Sep 08:46

The main ignorance on show here is that folk are entitled to their opinion, and are allowed to express it.

Nobody is criticising your gran. Folk are defending someone who they believe is being unfairly criticised.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 10:51

GG I remember Charlie snapping at Billy’s heels as he was trying to get the ball back to the keeper. I thought it ended up as an og when the Celtic pair got into a right old fankle with a toe poke pass back rolling into the net!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 11:06

The keeper was John Fallon if memory serves - he and McNeill got their knickers in a twist leaving it to each other and Charlie D nipped in to accept their kind offer.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 11:14

I`m indifferent to the royals but feel the need to do a "I fink you`ll find on this". I fink you`ll find it`s 1.5-2bn generated by the Royals. No idea where that original figure has come from.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 12:16

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 10 Sep 10:27

Quote:

Nobody is criticising your gran. Folk are defending someone who they believe is being unfairly criticised.

Defending by saying that respect is deserved because the queen loved Scotland?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 12:16

The Queen did rather well with the cards she was dealt in her life. She didn`t volunteer to be Queen but fulfilled the role with dignity and respect. Our constitutional system may not be perfect but it has given some stability to the UK for many years. The alternative would be having a Boris, Nicola, Salmond or Blair as head of state or as in the US, a Trump or a Biden. I know what I would prefer. As for those who think there is a magic formula in any type of human government, in the present age, to produce Utopia and bring peace and harmony to all, that will never happen.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 12:36

Jake89- where do you think these millions of people sleep eat travel etc?? That’s where the original figure comes from I did say contributed to the economy it doesn’t necessarily come directly from the queen

Onsndupthepaes- so let’s say you inherited thousands of acres of land and made a tidy amount of cash from it would you hand it over to the state?? I think not.

Back oh the night- is there any need for the venom and anger in your post?? I think you have a little bit to much tension in your anus let’s calm down and remember regardless of there stature in the community a old lady has died a family have lost a loved one and let’s not forget the amount of charitable work that old lady done surely that alone should be worthy of a small “wee shame” for her passing

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 12:44

The tributes that have been paid to the Queen rightly acknowledge the service she has given the country over the 70 years of her reign but it seems to me that there has been little acknowledgement of the life of extreme privilege she and her family have been granted in return.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 12:58

Extreme privilege, no doubt Eck, but they didn`t ask for it. And apart from all of that they live their lives in a goldfish bowl, their every word and movement recorded. While the Queen`s offspring have in a few instances demonstrated their fallibility as imperfect human beings and in one case criminal propensity, I wonder if some, or all of us, may have strayed off the straight and narrow if faced with similar temptations and opportunity.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 13:05

Quote:

Bazzler1981, Sat 10 Sept 12:36

Jake89- where do you think these millions of people sleep eat travel etc?? That’s where the original figure comes from I did say contributed to the economy it doesn’t necessarily come directly from the queen

That assumes they come to see the Queen specifically rather than the historic buildings. How would you even quantify that figure?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 13:16

No they didn`t ask for it, Paralex, but they are groomed for it from an early age. Do they perhaps believe that they are somehow superior to the rest of us? One interesting fact that has come out about the Queen is that she never went to school. What effect is that likely to have on the adult such a child turns into?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 13:20

France is the country with the biggest tourism industry in the world. A great many people go specifically to visit the Palace of Versaille. Are you now saying that France would generate billions of Euros more than they do currently if they had a King rather than a President? That`s some amount of mental gymnastics!

Anyway, as Peter Crouch (!) said, there are plenty of ways to show respect that don`t involve cancelling matches (about which nobody has ever mentioned why it`s respectful). Armbands, minute silence, flags at half mast, national anthem etc.

And we all know each club will feel the need to have the same at their next home game like the Rememberance Sunday has now turned into. Some teams will probably have 3 or 4 by the end of it all.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 13:21

Jake89- what do you assume made these buildings historic?? Possibly the queen and monarchy in general is possible?? I don’t pretend to know the formulas or calculations to support these facts but I tend to listen to economists who have spent a lot of time educating themselves through various colleges universities and all other forms of higher education

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 13:44

The 19 billion is probably correctly calculated, but the big question is `what is it measuring?`.

If you take every single pound spent in the UK with a direct or indirect link to the royal family or a royal residence then you might reach this figure. This will mostly consist of money spent by UK residents. This can`t really be considered money brought in by the royals because it was already in the UK and could have been spent on something else instead.

Likewise, the 19 billion also includes tourist tat bought by people in shops. A reasonable proportion of this will go to China for manufacture and shipping.

This is why Jake`s figure of 1.5-2 billion probably better reflects how much is brought in by the royals. That`s a decent amount of money, but it is only about half as much as the UK gets from exporting measuring instruments. Maybe royalists should spend more time championing the measuring instrument industry instead.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 13:55

Bazzler1981 wrote:

> Jake89- what do you assume made these buildings historic??
> Possibly the queen and monarchy in general is possible?? I
> don’t pretend to know the formulas or calculations to support
> these facts but I tend to listen to economists who have spent
> a lot of time educating themselves through various colleges
> universities and all other forms of higher education
>

Exactly it`s the history attached to the buildings. When I went to Versailles it was the life and times of the Sun King and Mairie Antoinette that captured the imagination. And when I visited Holyrood Palace, the history of Mary Queen of Scots.

But as our dear Rabbie once said, "A man`s a man for a` that" and hopefully he would have added, a woman`s a woman for a` that too. Our new King Charles III didn`t suddenly become majestic in the space of a day. He`s still just like the rest of us fallible human beings. I would argue that he deserves the respect of his position and whether or not he thinks himself superior to the rest of us you won`t be able to ring him up and ask him down to your local for a pint. There is however another, much greater King that you can speak to any day of the week and He will give you a very warm welcome.
>

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 14:02

Quote:

dover par, Sat 10 Sept 08:27

A lot of people showing their ignorance on this thread. The Queen clearly loved Scotland and through her life helped promote our wee country all over the world. Have some respect Instead of greetn like wee lassies.

Agree dover par .
I`ll show my respect to a woman who served her country as Monarch for 70 years and before that , she also served in the armed forces during the war .
I`m no rmassive fan of the royals , but find some of the posts on here at the very least , distasteful .

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 14:04

Kelty par- do you know the history of the “ Château de Versailles” I’m guessing not it was the French royals who built it , we can assume this could be one of the main reasons for the tourist numbers?? History has a certain pull and without the monarchy theirs no history and no “Château de Versailles”
Crouchy’s took the huff because he cani get a coupon, I’m happy means we’re still top of the league for another week 👍

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 14:18

19bn comes from the value of the family estate. A far removed statistic from the income to the treasury every year.

Episode 2 of East End Tales is out with Jim Leishman!

https://eastendtales.buzzsprout.com/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 14:40

Yes of course Bazzler - the point being that while it was build by/for the Royals, they no longer have a Royal Family. You seem to be claiming that the reason people visit Buckingham Palace, etc is because we currently have a Royal Family and nothing else.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 15:04

Quote:

fcda, Sat 10 Sep 12:16

Quote:

PARrot, Sat 10 Sep 10:27

Quote:

Defending by saying that respect is deserved because the queen loved Scotland?

No but the level of criticism maybe isnt deserved.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 15:11

Quote:

kelty_par, Sat 10 Sep 13:20

France is the country with the biggest tourism industry in the world. A great many people go specifically to visit the Palace of Versaille. Are you now saying that France would generate billions of Euros more than they do currently if they had a King rather than a President? That`s some amount of mental gymnastics!

Anyway, as Peter Crouch (!) said, there are plenty of ways to show respect that don`t involve cancelling matches (about which nobody has ever mentioned why it`s respectful). Armbands, minute silence, flags at half mast, national anthem etc.

And we all know each club will feel the need to have the same at their next home game like the Rememberance Sunday has now turned into. Some teams will probably have 3 or 4 by the end of it all.

These are fair comments.
No doubt the historic buildings would still bring in revenue without the Royal family.
Iike any product though, revenue is increased with effective marketing and the Queen was value for money right there.

Whether the next generation will be value for money remains to be seen.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 10 Sep 15:29

Quote:

kelty_par, Sat 10 Sep 13:20

France is the country with the biggest tourism industry in the world. A great many people go specifically to visit the Palace of Versaille. Are you now saying that France would generate billions of Euros more than they do currently if they had a King rather than a President?

That`s some amount of mental gymnastics!

I`m sure you`re well aware that this is more accurately termed a quantum leap, KP. 😉

I`m wondering who this Bazzler chap is, suddenly appearing on this site to stick up for the Queen. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but I very much doubt he`s a brand new poster. If not, why the need to sign up with a new username?

As I may have said elsewhere, I think the monarchy is an anachronism in the 21st century but I`ve nothing personal against the Queen herself but I find it hard to stomach the fact that the taxpayer has to foot the bill to keep so many of the extended Royal Family in a lifestyle of extreme privilege.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net