DAFC.net
Home 25 September 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Father and son
Topic Originator: kozmanout  
Date:   Wed 21 Sep 18:59

Amazing to see Wullie Gibson and his son Lewis both playing for QOTS at the weekend.
Not often that`s happened.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Father and son
Topic Originator: Zimbo  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 08:30

Arnor Gudjonsen came on for his dad Eidur in a friendly against Estonia in the 1990s.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 09:42

Wullie was a player that could make things happen and was good entertainment during his spell at EEP but he could be a bit huffy when things weren`t going his way. Back then I wouldn`t have put him down as somebody who would look after himself well and be as fit as he is at 38 years old.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 11:24

“I wouldn`t have put him down as somebody who would look after himself well and be as fit as he is at 38 years old.”

This is a good point. I hadn’t actually thought about it, and while all individuals are different, it’s fair to say that slightly moody, flair players like Willie, don’t exactly have a stellar record in terms of maintaining fitness and dedication to a training regime.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 11:29

When all else fails - fire up a Google search !!!

https://talksport.com/football/243830/when-fathers-and-sons-play-professional-football-together-170615242696/

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 12:24

Think I could honestly say Wullie has the shortest fuse I`ve ever witnessed on the pitch. He`s brilliant entertainment. One of the few players who can grab a game by the scruff of the neck & win it on his own, equally he could be sent off in the first 10 minutes arguing about a throw-in.

Man is a genius!

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 12:35

"This is a good point. I hadn’t actually thought about it, and while all individuals are different, it’s fair to say that slightly moody, flair players like Willie, don’t exactly have a stellar record in terms of maintaining fitness and dedication to a training regime."

On the not-award winning "Black & White Noise" podcast, Dan Pybus told us that Gibson used to track his activity during training. Once he got home, he`d go out running to make sure it was topped-up to 10k - and he`d do that every single day.

He also said that he got the impression that Gibson himself wished that he`d taken his fitness as seriously earlier on in his career.

Having said that, although he could blow a bit hot and cold, I can`t recall him struggling too much fitness-wise when he played for us.

Happy days though, especially the first dozen games or so of the 2010/11 season - with Gibson, Graham and Cardle causing chaos, Steven Bell at the peak of his powers alongside Gary Mason in midfield and Kirk upfront. Some team.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Lambo1885  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 12:59

His performance in a midweek game against Dundee was one of the best I`ve seen form a Pars winger. He totally roasted their full back, so much so they subbed him at half time, only for Wullie to proceed to doing the exact same to the replacement.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 14:47

Quote:

Lambo1885, Thu 22 Sept 12:59

His performance in a midweek game against Dundee was one of the best I`ve seen form a Pars winger. He totally roasted their full back, so much so they subbed him at half time, only for Wullie to proceed to doing the exact same to the replacement.

That was the game where our young keeper broke his leg, conditions were absolutely atrocious.

Gibson was fantastic, there`s not many players we`ve sold for three figures that`s for sure.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 14:56

Gibson, Graham and Joe made going to EEP a pleasure after years of watching us playing unfortunate randoms like Steven Bell on the wing.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 15:30

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 22 Sept 14:56

Gibson, Graham and Joe made going to EEP a pleasure after years of watching us playing unfortunate randoms like Steven Bell on the wing.

Playing Burke out wide was awful.

He was a revelation as a deep lying centre mid though. Pretty much Pirlo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 15:41

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 22 Sep 14:56

They were excellent. Having three meant if one wasn`t having a great game there was another on the bench to come on and create something, or we could play all three and push Graham a bit further forward. We also had Steven McDougall who could play wide or up front. McDougall and Graham scored the goals away at Morton to make us champions.

Sorely missing those kind of attacking options now.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 16:36

Quote:

Jeffery, Thu 22 Sept 15:41

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 22 Sep 14:56

They were excellent. Having three meant if one wasn`t having a great game there was another on the bench to come on and create something, or we could play all three and push Graham a bit further forward. We also had Steven McDougall who could play wide or up front. McDougall and Graham scored the goals away at Morton to make us champions.

Sorely missing those kind of attacking options now.

All those options, yet that season it was actually Willis who started out wide on the opening day against Falkirk IIRC.

It was a very good and balanced midfield we had, which helped cover up some of the other defincies we had in the squad.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 16:43

Saw a good interview with Ian McCall recently and he was talking about Gibson and comparing him to Stephen Dobbie in terms of having all the ability but potentially wasting it by not realising & appreciating things untill they were a bit older.

Gibson was best player on the park in that game at EEP towards end of last season , played at rightback and strolled it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Thu 22 Sep 16:44)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 17:56

I`ve been impressed with what I`ve seen of him over his time at Queens too.
My memory of him in the famous black and white stripes was a midweek game against the Rovers where he tore them a new one to the extent that they had to foul him on a rota system to stay on the park. He was unplayable that night.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 18:09

Quote:

JTH123, Thu 22 Sep 17:56

I`ve been impressed with what I`ve seen of him over his time at Queens too.
My memory of him in the famous black and white stripes was a midweek game against the Rovers where he tore them a new one to the extent that they had to foul him on a rota system to stay on the park. He was unplayable that night.

That was Dundee? The night the young keeper broke his leg?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AB Loyal  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 19:21

Nah there was a Raith game midweek in the march of 2010 when he was unplayable

The Prophet - 12/07/18, 13/06/19, 10/07/20
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 22:17

I couldn`t have told you the year let alone the month but it was definitely Rovers.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 23:15

He may have had a great game against the Rovers but his best ever performance was definitely the midweek game against Dundee.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 22 Sep 23:56

Since we beat QOS 2-0 they`ve beaten FC Edinburgh twice, 4-1 in the league on Saturday and 4-0 in the Challenge Cup tonight.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 23 Sep 00:08

Quote:

Lambo1885, Thu 22 Sep 12:59

Completely agree with that. How cold was that night? Felt so sorry for the players

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 23 Sep 02:38

Dundee game he roasted the fullback, then likewise his replacement and when he got bored tormenting him he swapped flanks with David Graham and had a go at the other fullback for good measure !

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Fri 23 Sep 13:14

....did Stephen Bell score in that game from 30yds out. An absolute skelper of a shot. It was very cold that night.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net