DAFC.net
Home 26 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 When is a sending off not a sending off?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 25 Sep 10:04

When the mighty Juve met little Salernitana in Serie A recently, the game provided plenty of surprises and talking points:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62869027

For me, the most surprising of all was that Juve`s Milik was given a 2nd yellow for celebrating what he thought was the winning goal after his team had come back from 0-2 down. In the event, the goal was wrongly chalked off with the help of VAR, but Milik`s 2nd yellow stood, so he didn`t finish the game. Is this normal procedure?

OK, let`s fast forward to last night`s Scotland game. After 10 mins, the equisitly named Troy Parrott sped through the Scottish defence to score but the goal was correctly disallowed for offside. My question is this - If Parrot had been chopped down when he was clean through but before he could shoot, it would clearly be a sending off. If the offside flag then went up, would the defender`s red card be overturned?

If that`s the case, should Milik`s 2nd yellow not havd been similarly rescinded?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: When is a sending off not a sending off?
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sun 25 Sep 10:23

Yellow cards for goal celebrations are not removed if the goal is disallowed. That is normal.

In your other example, the red would be overturned. The red would have been for denying a goal scoring opportunity opportunity, something that VAR
Would have shown to be incorrect.

If we slightly change your 2nd example to parrot being tackled in a dangerous manner and a red card given for that then the red would not be overturned.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 25 Sep 13:21

Cheers for that, p4l.

I`m no Juve fan, in fact I was cheering for the southern minnows, but I felt for Milik. He must have known he`d get a 2nd yellow for the goal celebration, but having completed the comeback, he didn`t care. To then have the perfectly good goal ruled out by VAR, was adding insult to injury.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parboiled  
Date:   Sun 25 Sep 13:57

The ref has no discretion in this matter or for players leaving the pitch to glad hand or grab a hug with spectators. If he doesn’t penalise the offender he himself will be marked down in his report card.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net