DAFC.net
Home 27 November 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 German owners
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sat 1 Oct 22:47

What’s everyone’s opinion on them so far? For me, we’ve went backwards as a club. The football has been dire for the last 12 months, keep hearing how we are getting new training ground etc yet it might not even actually happen. Personally something doesn’t sit right with me. Backing grant and Hughes last season has done some damage when looking at the squad we have the now. These guys must take the blame

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: German owners
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sat 1 Oct 22:59

We have had two decades of bad management, it`ll take a while to put that right. They seem to have a long term plan, so we have to trust them
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Sat 1 Oct 23:29

I trust them, .However, it is up to each supporter to form their own opinion on what they believe.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 1 Oct 23:38

I’d agree we’ve been run poorly on football decisions for many years now and it doesn’t appear to be getting better. Performances haven’t been good enough and we are top of an extremely poor league

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Sat 1 Oct 23:52

We are sixteen games in fo0r this season with Approx 29 all in to play. We have just come out of one of the worst seasons ever, and we had the turmoil of losing our Chairman Ross McArthur, so please let`s not start all the doom and gloom. We drew today down to some mistakes and a brutal referee, but hey we are still up there. Let us start to get it right and keep the heads up , a wee bit positivity.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 01:13

We have 100 percent gone backwards.....is it their fault, not qualified to say.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 01:25

Sorry but how can we blame the referee for drawing the game?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gadgie59  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 03:16

There is no excuse for our failure to win against Peterhead. We lost two absolutely horrendous goals, against a team that posed very little threat all game and their overall quality of play was pretty abysmal…

The referee certainly didn’t make any attempt to prevent time wasting and was hugely inconsistent in his decision making … so certainly contributed to making it a poor spectacle of a game.

I think we also need to consider that winning football matches in any league in Scotland, you not only have to overcome the opposing team but have to expect that the officials are deliberately prejudiced ….. and very rarely, it seems, in our favour.

I know the referee job is not an easy one; far from it. But they are paid very well, and as paying customers every fan should expect fairness and consistency as a bare minimum. Too many individuals that take on the responsibility (and privilege) of officiating football believe that they can indulge their own preferences and prejudices, and clearly attempt to influence the outcome of games. It shouldn’t happen, but I believe it is endemic in Scottish football; and I doubt it is going to change any time soon.

“Football is a beautiful game,
It should be played beautifully.”
Brian Clough.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: dafc-chris1  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 07:49

I back them completely it will take time for their long term plan to develop
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 08:03

For me next season is the big one. All the dead wood will be gone and there will hopefully be plenty budget left for mcpake so assuming he can find some quality we should be odds on to win the league. I’m assuming falkirk will win it this year.

If we somehow sneak up this year that will be a total bonus.

Things will be looking up……..now yogi is gone!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 09:03

No issue with the investors. I think decisions like bringing in Cook as CEO are solid and good to see the training facility develop.

Poor decisions in the past couple of seasons are an issue though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StackPar  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 09:05

How can you write our chances off of winning when we’re top of the league? We’re going up this year

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JimDAFC  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 09:29

I would have preferred if we had stayed a fan owned club but maybe that would have been unsustainable with the outbreak of covid. However I have no beef with the German owners this far but think it will take us at least 5 years before we can even manage to compete to winning the championship league. We haven`t got a potential goal scoring striker like last time to help us get there quicker this time round.We seem to be not much better or worse than near all of the teams in this league, so it`s just a case of getting your head down and striving on and see where that takes us, you never know we may get lucky and manage to get up this year somehow.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 09:40

“Dire for the last 12 months”? If only. We’ve been dreadful for several seasons now. Under Stevie Crawford we gradually began losing the plot and that was followed by the Grant debacle and then the failed Yogi Hughes recovery. McPake has inherited a squad that is largely not of his choosing and, to be fair to him, he does seem to be making inroads. Of course mistakes will be made - like yesterday’s substitutions - but the man’s only human and as Steaua says we are (remarkably perhaps) still top of the league and unbeaten; so it’s hardly the time for twisted knickers.
As far as the German owners are concerned, our club is run on a shoestring budget so any form of investment is welcome, even if their cash input is hardly going to be a game changer. None of us know what their actual involvement is but we have been given to believe that they view it as a longer term project. Therefore I think we’ve just got to be patient and see how things pan out. Cook’s appointment does seem to be a step in the right direction.
And as far as the actual football is concerned, considering our starting point I don’t think we’re doing badly. Of course I’d like us to win this league but realistically if we make the playoffs that would be considered progress. Building a team is an organic process. Dead wood has to be cut out and growth encouraged, and since we haven’t got loads of money to splash about that ain’t going to happen quickly.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 09:42

Quote:

yorkiepar, Sun 2 Oct 09:40

“Dire for the last 12 months”? If only. We’ve been dreadful for several seasons now. Under Stevie Crawford we gradually began losing the plot and that was followed by the Grant debacle and then the failed Yogi Hughes recovery. McPake has inherited a squad that is largely not of his choosing and, to be fair to him, he does seem to be making inroads. Of course mistakes will be made - like yesterday’s substitutions - but the man’s only human and as Steaua says we are (remarkably perhaps) still top of the league and unbeaten; so it’s hardly the time for twisted knickers.
As far as the German owners are concerned, our club is run on a shoestring budget so any form of investment is welcome, even if their cash input is hardly going to be a game changer. None of us know what their actual involvement is but we have been given to believe that they view it as a longer term project. Therefore I think we’ve just got to be patient and see how things pan out. Cook’s appointment does seem to be a step in the right direction.
And as far as the actual football is concerned, considering our starting point I don’t think we’re doing badly. Of course I’d like us to win this league but realistically if we make the playoffs that would be considered progress. Building a team is an organic process. Dead wood has to be cut out and growth encouraged, and since we haven’t got loads of money to splash about that ain’t going to happen quickly.

Can`t argue with any part of this. Exactly how I feel.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: incognito  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 15:15

We`re worse than all the teams in the league but are top? honestly this site is full of absolute morons!

Top of the league, playing crap, scraping points with a limited squad and now with a few additions we should kick on.

McPake is a very good manager at this level highlighted with his changes against Falkirk at half time. We were never going to win every game but if you said before that start of the season at this point that we`d be sitting top unbeaten we would of bitten that hand of.

I am 100% confidant that we will win the league this season and that the board is planning on a big push for the big one next season.

Lastly people need to remember we`re Dunfermline not Dortmund.

"Did you see what happened to the magic car?

It turned into a street!"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kba  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 15:47

Quote:

incognito, Sun 2 Oct 15:15

We`re worse than all the teams in the league but are top? honestly this site is full of absolute morons!

Top of the league, playing crap, scraping points with a limited squad and now with a few additions we should kick on.

McPake is a very good manager at this level highlighted with his changes against Falkirk at half time. We were never going to win every game but if you said before that start of the season at this point that we`d be sitting top unbeaten we would of bitten that hand of.

I am 100% confidant that we will win the league this season and that the board is planning on a big push for the big one next season.

Lastly people need to remember we`re Dunfermline not Dortmund.

👏👏👏👏 Well said.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 16:05

Dortmund got their backsides handed to them yesterday 😎

Ep. 4 of East End Tales is out now with Colin Miller, talking about Tannadice from 1996

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/11735127
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 18:16

We’ve gone backwards for years before the Germans got involved.

We could just start calling them the owners now and drop the German bit as that seems to present some sort of illusion of something different or foreign players coming in and I don’t see them doing anything particularly groundbreaking

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Aylesbury_Par  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 18:34

Maybe `Hobbyists` would be a more suitable terminology for the current owners.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 19:06

It`s a pretty expensive `hobby`.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 19:18

With three directors leaving the board (McArthur, McBay and Leishman) and Cook joining, I suspect that the new owners will start to have more direct involvement than in the past, when they would have been respecting the existing directors and taking a softly/softly approach. They`ve always said this is a long term project for them and I`d rather they walk before they run.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 19:26

It’s peanuts, Wee Eck! They’re all successful businessmen. This will be loose change to them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 19:29

In my experience successful businessmen don`t like throwing money away.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 19:30

They’re not throwing money away. To them it’s a long term investment.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 19:44

Agreed Incognito.
I don’t get the doom and gloom merchants when we’re sitting top. Who cares how we got there? We’re the same as every other team in this league.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 22:31

I’d say we’ve been extremely lucky in some games so far this season and that luck will run out soon. Hoping we change it up and play with natural wide players from Saturday onwards

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 2 Oct 22:45

Interesting how many threads are started about the Germans when we drop points

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: theparsman1885  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 11:13

da_no_1 wrote:

> Interesting how many threads are started about the Germans when
> we drop points
>
>

Exactly.

Club was going backwards on the park since that moment McManus didn’t pass at Tannadice.

Felt sorry for the new owners as they could do nothing but support the decisions being made by the old board last season. They provided cash and some input, and only Dunfermline could have near a million quid come in and get relegated 😂

Mostly positive this season so far though, and let’s see where it gets us.

Put it this way, I wouldn’t be having any money on Falkirk or Raith lasting the season without some drastic cost cutting or “exercises”….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 11:33

My view is that we`ve not been professionally run for some time. We`ve been reliant on volunteers providing goodwill, which is great, but far from ideal. I`m not having a go at those helping out as we wouldn`t have a club without them, and we still need them. However, I see the bringing in of Cook as massively aspirational.

This professionalism off the pitch should eventually lead to greater success on the pitch, but we`re in a really crap place right now. Full time club in a part time league trying to attract players to play on crappy pitches at a club that`s not exactly been a happy place the last couple of seasons.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 11:38

Quote:

jake89, Mon 3 Oct 11:33

My view is that we`ve not been professionally run for some time. We`ve been reliant on volunteers providing goodwill, which is great, but far from ideal. I`m not having a go at those helping out as we wouldn`t have a club without them, and we still need them. However, I see the bringing in of Cook as massively aspirational.

This professionalism off the pitch should eventually lead to greater success on the pitch, but we`re in a really crap place right now. Full time club in a part time league trying to attract players to play on crappy pitches at a club that`s not exactly been a happy place the last couple of seasons.

👏👏👏👏👏
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 12:23

I shudder to think where the club would have been without the financial injection from the Germans. Commercially, in the Championship, we were operating on the smell of an oily rag. Now that we are in League One? Phoa!

The timing of their investment was incredibly beneficial to the club, but certainly not for them as individuals.

There was Covid, then empty stadiums, two disastrous managerial appointments, relegation, and to top it all, the decision by Hibs to turn down a bid for Kevin Nisbet that would have bought about a million quid to Dunfermline, effectively repaying a very large proportion of their investment...

Despite all these factors, the new owners have said and done nothing to suggest anything other than that they are maintaining a long-term commitment to our club.

They committed to the second tranche of investment some months ahead of schedule, and stuck with it despite unexpectedly losing the services of the chairman. They brought in a very promising young football manager, appointed a full time CEO with an excellent background at big clubs, and they moved forward on the new training ground despite the club dropping down to a league where financial turnover will likely struggle to be 50% of what it would have been in the Championship.

Those of you who continue to cast doubt on the veracity of our new owners would do well to go back to the comments of the Germans in the early days after they bought into the club. They have outlined a broad vision, and they have given us a timeline... why don`t you just let them get on with it, instead of sniping from the sidelines and making quite ridiculous and unjustified criticisms?

For certain, their business plan would not have anticipated Covid. And it is unlikely that they would have expected relegation in anything other than a fanciful option 3 in Good, Bad or Bloody Awful forecasting scenarios.

So, please, cut these guys some slack. Put yourself in their shoes... they have had a shitty couple of years at Dunfermline, thanks largely to elements completely outside of their control.

They certainly have my support and good wishes.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: plainview  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 12:29

A lot of sense being spoken in this thread!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 12:41

Quote:

OzPar, Mon 3 Oct 12:23

I shudder to think where the club would have been without the financial injection from the Germans. Commercially, in the Championship, we were operating on the smell of an oily rag. Now that we are in League One? Phoa!

The timing of their investment was incredibly beneficial to the club, but certainly not for them as individuals.

There was Covid, then empty stadiums, two disastrous managerial appointments, relegation, and to top it all, the decision by Hibs to turn down a bid for Kevin Nisbet that would have bought about a million quid to Dunfermline, effectively repaying a very large proportion of their investment...

Despite all these factors, the new owners have said and done nothing to suggest anything other than that they are maintaining a long-term commitment to our club.

They committed to the second tranche of investment some months ahead of schedule, and stuck with it despite unexpectedly losing the services of the chairman. They brought in a very promising young football manager, appointed a full time CEO with an excellent background at big clubs, and they moved forward on the new training ground despite the club dropping down to a league where financial turnover will likely struggle to be 50% of what it would have been in the Championship.

Those of you who continue to cast doubt on the veracity of our new owners would do well to go back to the comments of the Germans in the early days after they bought into the club. They have outlined a broad vision, and they have given us a timeline... why don`t you just let them get on with it, instead of sniping from the sidelines and making quite ridiculous and unjustified criticisms?

For certain, their business plan would not have anticipated Covid. And it is unlikely that they would have expected relegation in anything other than a fanciful option 3 in Good, Bad or Bloody Awful forecasting scenarios.

So, please, cut these guys some slack. Put yourself in their shoes... they have had a shitty couple of years at Dunfermline, thanks largely to elements completely outside of their control.

Probably the best post I have ever seen on here.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 12:43

Excellent post, Oz.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 13:11

Good post Oz but did you have to remind everyone of that complete mess made by Hibs? Must be kicking themselves now. I don`t think they even play Nisbet!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 13:15

Apart from covid and hibs not selling nisbet, then the blame is firmly with them. It’s their disastrous managerial appointments that have us where we are today.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 13:22

I thought the managerial appointments were down to Ross McArthur?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 13:34

Well said Oz

Awa and troll somewhere else 97

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 13:58

Who knows wee eck, seems to change every time to suit someone’s argument

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 14:14

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 3 Oct 13:22

I thought the managerial appointments were down to Ross McArthur?

Ross appointed Peter Grant 🙁 but was not involved in the series of interviews which resulted in John Hughes getting the job. I bet he was glad, the way that turned out.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 14:32

Nisbet hasn’t been playing for Hibs as he’s injured - I believe he just returned to training last week.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 15:04

Maybe the German investment hasn`t been totally game changing but it has brought a bit of financial stability in hard times. You just have to read the concerns of Scott Gardner of Inverness about having to deal with cost issues this winter when trying to run a lower division full time club governed by fans only and with no rich benefactor(s). The split of the TV money is skewed so much in favour of SFL and the powers that be should be looking to the health of the game in general and changing the payout ratios between the Leagues.
One thing I do wonder about was I thought that one of the investors (name escapes me at the moment) was given a Sporting Director role. I can`t say that I have seen much improvement in recruitment or playing style coming from that although maybe he is doing a lot of stuff in the background. Maybe a question for the next supporters meeting or for the supporters liaison man would be to find out what that role entails to see if it`s of any consequence or just a bit of light touch window dressing. Usually every Director has to get responsibility for something but often with little direct involvement.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 15:24

Quote:

AJ27, Mon 3 Oct 14:32

Nisbet hasn’t been playing for Hibs as he’s injured - I believe he just returned to training last week.

Noticed that when I googled him. Real shame. You never know, he might be a superstar when he gets a run of games and then sign for Man City for 20m
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Roy Barry Fan Club  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 16:28

Oz Par is, of course, entirely accurate in his view.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 19:04

Quote:

OzPar, Mon 3 Oct 12:23

👏👏👏👏 Well said OZ
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 19:32

Great post
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 21:14

A well balanced post, Oz

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 21:37

Great post Oz. Fully agree with you.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net