DAFC.net
Home 08 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Howcome....
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 12:49

When we are sitting just outside the playoff spots or fighting relegation, the table doesn`t lie, but when weare top of the table we are riding our luck?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Howcome....
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 13:19

One of life`s mysteries, PARrot. Any success is fortuitous and undeserved but any any perceived failure is inevitable and fully merited.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 14:32

Let`s hang in there, work hard. Get behind the team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 14:45

The table doesn’t lie… we are top of the league!

I think what’s actually happening is that people are concerned we’re there because others happen to be playing even worse than us, and not because we’re consistent/ playing good football.
I suppose their worry is that should another team actually start to click and hit some real form, they’ll run away with it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 15:03

I don`t see any team running away with this league not least us.
We are good with a fit squad but seriously lacking back up when injuries happen.
Can see the league going all the way this season.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 15:05

I think we’re capable of playing much better than we have so far. We’ve shown glimpses of that in games. But, rather than focusing on us only being top because others have been poor, I’m looking at the table and thinking that we could build up a lead at the top, if things ‘click’ soon.

We haven’t played well, but we’re top of the league. The fact that we should be capable of upping our game from here should be seen as a positive - as long as it happens fairly soon. We’ve just finished the first quarter (obviously had a game postponed though), so I think it is reasonable to expect more consistency and the manager should have an idea of the best system for these players, in order to win matches.

If a poor run of form sees us remain unbeaten and includes draws against other teams competing at the top end of the league (Falkirk and Airdrie), then we’ll be up the right end of the table come the end of the season. However, we need to start winning games again soon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Fallen Angel  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 15:35

Consistently 72 - 76 points tend to win you this league.

Break that down and its 18 - 19 points each quarter of the league.

We`ve 16 points and our last game of the 1/4 is Clyde (Who are on a great run of form...lost 5 in a row).

We might not be playing great football but carry on this current form and we`ll be thereabouts at the end of the season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 21:18

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Mon 03 Oct 15:03

We are good with a fit squad but seriously lacking back up when injuries happen.

I reckon we will win the league on either the 8th or 22nd of April big leish will declare the following week a public holiday and we will aw get mad wae it at various pubs around the toon mibby even a cheeky wee sing song doon the glen mcglynn will be left a shell of a man because the mighty pars have humped another of his teams for the league and McCabe and fordyce will be run out of airdrie and banished to a life in charge of athletico kebab

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 23:26

Quote:

back oh the net, Mon 3 Oct 21:18

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Mon 03 Oct 15:03

I reckon we will win the league on either the 8th or 22nd of April big leish will declare the following week a public holiday and we will aw get mad wae it at various pubs around the toon mibby even a cheeky wee sing song doon the glen mcglynn will be left a shell of a man because the mighty pars have humped another of his teams for the league and McCabe and fordyce will be run out of airdrie and banished to a life in charge of athletico kebab

See, this here is the main reason I post on dotnet. Just the hope that I get a reply or two like this.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Mon 3 Oct 23:40

Trust me feathered one the prospect of us winning the league away to either of them excites me immensely pretty sure I’m not alone on that

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 06:53

I don`t think many can look at our performances at home and think we have been impressive. Granted, there is heart, the defence has looked solid (apart from Saturday) but up front we have been badly lacking and have no one that can make a defence splitting pass. Chances have been limited but when we get into a good position we are very wasteful. We don`t have anyone that can finish with their feet, unless it`s a tap in. Hopefully these two new wingers we have signed can change that.

By all accounts we have played well away from home and hopefully that continues. I hate to say but Falkirk would be favourites in my eyes. They looked decent playing us at East End. Even though we were the better team in the second half, we needed a penalty to equalise and they could easily have won it at the end. We had our chances too and in the end, a draw was fair. They seem to be hitting a bit of form and have depth which is something we lack.

One positive I would say this season is that many of the players who were poor last season seem to have improved. Chalmers, Mehmet and Breen (apart from the Peterhead game) all look much better.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 12:19

It`s been a really strange league so far with teams taking points from everyone. If someone. We are definitely riding our luck so far. Payed Edinburgh before they kicked on were really lucky not to be out of sight at half time v Falkirk just to name a few. But if we can ground out results I don`t see why we can`t be in the mix although I can see Falkirk or Airdrie coming good at some point.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 12:34

So far we are out performing everyone else. The table doesn`t lie

I don`t see what makes folk think any of our adversarys are likely to improve any more than us. They have more depth than us in some cases, but that depth isnt good enough for their starting line ups..

You know, the starting lineups that are not performing as well as us. According to the table.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 12:46

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 4 Oct 12:34

I don`t see what makes folk think any of our adversarys are likely to improve any more than us. They have more depth than us in some cases, but that depth isnt good enough for their starting line ups..

You know, the starting lineups that are not performing as well as us. According to the table.

That`s far too simplistic.

If we were to go by your logic we could just call the leagues after 9 games, there`s a reason we don`t.

Likewise while the table doesn`t lie it also doesn`t count for everything for judging how a game, and how a league will progress going forward. There`s plenty of metrics that can be judged by that.

You`re point about squad is also again, far, far, far too simplistic. You can only fit 11 players onto a pitch, it`s inevitable that through a season you won`t manage to play your best 11 for the whole of it. What happens when that occurs? Is the drop-off in Falkirks squad bigger than ours? Do they have players on there bench capable of stepping in better?

If you don`t listen to me, then listen to McPake. He`s been saying since we went top that it`s pointless looking at the table this early.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 13:23

It`s also unfair to repeatedly dismiss our league position when we`re top & repeatedly say our rivals will "kick-on" whereas we`ll just fold. And repeatedly say we`ll struggle when suspensions/injuries kick in while other teams won`t

I don`t see this "strength in depth" that other teams have. Falkirk have an OK first 11 with a couple of players (McGinn/Coll) who would get in our team but the rest of their squad is pretty average tbh. And exactly who have Airdrie got waiting in the wings when they get injuries/suspensions?

There`s no guarantee we`ll win this league but it`s ridiculous to say we`ll not be in the mix.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 13:40

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 4 Oct 13:23

It`s also unfair to repeatedly dismiss our league position when we`re top & repeatedly say our rivals will "kick-on" whereas we`ll just fold. And repeatedly say we`ll struggle when suspensions/injuries kick in while other teams won`t

I don`t see this "strength in depth" that other teams have. Falkirk have an OK first 11 with a couple of players (McGinn/Coll) who would get in our team but the rest of their squad is pretty average tbh. And exactly who have Airdrie got waiting in the wings when they get injuries/suspensions?

There`s no guarantee we`ll win this league but it`s ridiculous to say we`ll not be in the mix.

I get you, I don`t think our league position is meaningless, and it certainly says that we`ve been one of the better teams so far, but it doesn`t dictate that we`ll be the best team for the rest of the season, loads of twists and turns left.

Falkirk do have better squad depth than us currently, even with quite allot of injuries they are in a position where they can make five first team subs, and still have a first teamer not getting minutes.

There`s not allot between us so fair play to anyone who can say with certainty they`ll do better.

I`m not particularly concerned about Airdrie, they have even worse squad depth than us and I`m not convinced they`ll have the consistency.

I think we`ll be top two, I`m just not sure whether we`ll win the title...

Another thing that matters, and could be massive is the January transfer window, Falkirk are absolutely rooked and will not be able to afford much, if anything more. Whereas surely we still have room?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 13:49

Your thoughts are appreciated Grant but my post wasn`t specifically aimed at you....😉

Post Edited (Tue 04 Oct 13:50)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 13:55

It`s the Fife way, unfortunately. When something good happens we`re lucky, when something bad happens we brought it on ourselves.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 14:24

Quote:

da_no_1, Tue 4 Oct 13:23

Don`t think anyone has said we won`t be in the mix ?

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 15:57

desperado said as much on the Final League positions thread. A few reckon we`ll "scrape" the playoffs

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 16:09

He didn't say we definitely won't make it? Nobody can really say yet as it's still too early to tell as we haven't played everyone in the league yet. There is a few good teams in this league. It will be tough asking the same guys to play week in week out especially if we go far in the cup. But we have good players our 2 CB are building a good relationship. If we get the same Paul Allan back that plays like he was before getting injured he will improve us O`Hara gives us a different option as well when he returns. Top 4 will be the aim where in that 4 is anyone`s guess this early.

c'mon the pars

Post Edited (Tue 04 Oct 16:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 16:36

"Another thing that matters, and could be massive is the January transfer window, Falkirk are absolutely rooked and will not be able to afford much, if anything more. Whereas surely we still have room?"

This is what I am clinging on to. Anyone who has been out the picture at their Premier League/Championship team might fancy some football at the business end of the season. Especially if we are challenging and, even more so, if they are coming to the end of their contract.

Hopefully, the thin squad we have now can navigate us through the next dozen league games or so and put us in a position where a few months at EEP becomes an attractive prospect.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 16:42

Quite happy where we are sitting at the moment , not quite so happy with the performance level, we have a bit of luck on our side at the moment which is not the usual for us, if we can get the front two " whoever that may be " firing we may be able to put a bit of distance between us and the chasing pack, perhaps our two new signing will give us a bit of extra ammunition for the front two, and maybe we should start on the front foot instead of the 2nd half . C.O.Y.P

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Oct 22:12

Quote:

Grant, Tue 4 Oct 12:46

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 4 Oct 12:34

That`s far too simplistic.

If we were to go by your logic we could just call the leagues after 9 games, there`s a reason we don`t.

Likewise while the table doesn`t lie it also doesn`t count for everything for judging how a game, and how a league will progress going forward. There`s plenty of metrics that can be judged by that.

You`re point about squad is also again, far, far, far too simplistic. You can only fit 11 players onto a pitch, it`s inevitable that through a season you won`t manage to play your best 11 for the whole of it. What happens when that occurs? Is the drop-off in Falkirks squad bigger than ours? Do they have players on there bench capable of stepping in better?

If you don`t listen to me, then listen to McPake. He`s been saying since we went top that it`s pointless looking at the table this early.

I agree in total.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net