DAFC.net
Home 04 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Livingston
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 09:23

We should be paying close attention to how Livingston are running their club. For a club with a very limited fanbase, they`re continuing to shoe they deserve to be in the top flight AND now seriously in the race for 3rd.

Ep. 4 of East End Tales is out now with Colin Miller, talking about Tannadice from 1996

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/11735127
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Livingston
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 09:40

I think it is superb for them and I watch for their results. Keep it going Livi.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 09:53

Credit to Livingston. Happy to see them doing well. But, and please correct me if I am wrong, to establish yourself as a competitive top tier club as they have done, you need a squad full of decent players, which they have. This doesn`t come cheap and I doubt they`re funding it from gate receipts alone given their small but spirited support. Do they have a rich backer, happy to throw millions at it like Roy MacGregor does at Ross County? In which case, us paying attention to how Livi run things is probably futile.

Is what Livi, Ross County and St Johnstone do achievable without the backing of someone who`s willing to lose a few quid? Maybe it is, I don`t know.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 10:30

Livingston are owned by the shareholders. They raised a good few million pre-covid.

Remember though that they had a massive investment from a lottery winner about 15 years ago too.

Always a shame that their following remains so limited. Too many Edinburgh/Glasgow supporters in West Lothian
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 10:59

Quote:

jake89, Wed 9 Nov 10:30

Remember though that they had a massive investment from a lottery winner about 15 years ago too.

And the lottery winner lost all his money after assuming responsibility for the club`s debts in what was (allegedly) a fraud case.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 retailers, insurance firms etc
http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5 - text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 11:53

All it needs us people at your club who knows what is required on the park.
Someone with a good eye for a player, a coaching team who instills confidence through the team and owners who not only live within their means but who will make funds available for the players who will fit in for Livi.
From the outside they certainly look like a club that the players enjoy playing for.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 12:34

I`ve nothing particularly against Livi but I`m eternally glad that I support the team I do, regardless of current league position, rather than a team like them.

Post Edited (Wed 09 Nov 12:35)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 13:16

Livi are an oddity. A relatively successful new club based in a new town that was originally made up of a load of weegies and Edinbuggers. I`m not sure how well they do in terms of attracting the young people given many will simply support whoever their dad supports (generalising, I know).

If they`ve had success in attracting the youth it may be one the Pars should look at given the volume of family homes being built that will attract people from elsewhere in Fife and probably the Lothians in most cases.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 13:28

Has Livingston`s onfield success resulted in higher attendances? I see there were 2.598 at their game last night and Aberdeen usually bring a decent travelling support with them, even in midweek.

In present-day Scottish football it seems to be common for clubs with modest crowds to achieve sporting success. Queen`s Park, Cove Rangers and Kelty Hearts are good examples of that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 13:58

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 9 Nov 13:28

Has Livingston`s onfield success resulted in higher attendances? I see there were 2.598 at their game last night and Aberdeen usually bring a decent travelling support with them, even in midweek.

In present-day Scottish football it seems to be common for clubs with modest crowds to achieve sporting success. Queen`s Park, Cove Rangers and Kelty Hearts are good examples of that.

It`s because with the finances in Scotland being so little wee eck that a rich benefactor can really elevate a club quickly, the three clubs you mentioned all spent outwith there normal means due to having a backer.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 14:01

Their success relative to their support is terrific. They came back from their admin period extremely well.

Ep. 4 of East End Tales is out now with Colin Miller, talking about Tannadice from 1996

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/11735127
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 14:07

On reflection Aberdeen deserved to win, they simply were not clinical with the finishing touch, including the penalty they missed. Jim Goodwins face at the end said it all for them. Well done to Livingston, they played to their strengths and got the result.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 14:15

We`ve got one thing in common with Livi already - they don`t score many goals! They`ve scored 14 in 14 games and only the bottom three clubs have scored fewer.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 15:04

They`ve got backers.

Not the kind I`d want anywhere near Dunfermline though.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 19:51

Quote:

EastEndBoy, Wed 9 Nov 15:04

They`ve got backers.

You`ve heard the same rumours as me, EEB. 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 20:22

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 9 Nov 19:51

Quote:

They`ve got backers.

I don`t doubt it.

Watch how quickly they tumble once they`re rumbled.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 20:29

What`s dodgy about them apart from the (alleged?) fraud committed by a few of their investors? This was widely reported at the time.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 21:02

I take it that it isn`t a coincidence with Martindale getting the managers job either?!

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 21:30

Tin pot club.....can`t stand them

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 23:03

Steady on now Livipar or you might get a banger through your letterbox.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Livingston Par  
Date:   Wed 9 Nov 23:24

Haha Paralex 😄

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 17:59

Quote:

EastEndBoy, Wed 9 Nov 20:22

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 9 Nov 19:51

Quote:

They`ve got backers.

I don`t doubt it.

Watch how quickly they tumble once they`re rumbled.

No smoke without fire, allegedly. 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bazzler1981  
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 19:26

Wee eck- surely it doesn’t matter how many goals you score when you’re top of the league with the least conceded goals in any league in Europe?? I’m no professor but if you score more than you concede you win no??
Back to topic though livi are s*** they’re going through a purple patch but how long will it last?? I’m assuming the 2 million quid they got for Dykes helped a bit and if it has been invested/used proper then that could go a long way in Scottish football

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 19:56

I was simply stating a fact, not being judgmental. You`re telling me that all that matters is points and yet you say Livi are s***!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 20:43

As was I stating a fact eck you don’t need to score tons of goals to win games of course I would love to see our team score barrel loads every week but unfortunately we don’t, I would take 36 scrappy 1-0 wins if it means we win the league
In my opinion livi are s*** but that’s only my opinion some people will agree others like yourself won’t, I never mentioned points in my post I’m sure it was about goals and if you look at the league livi are only 6 points away from 9th a couple dodgy performances/results and they could drop a good few places in that league

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 21:17

I can`t remember the last time I saw them play so I have no opinion on them but they seem to punch above their weight.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 21:34

They’ve had a couple cracking results and put a wee run together but is that because they are a good side or is it more a case they are capitalising on other teams poor form/results??

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Thu 10 Nov 21:52

Livingston currently play in the Scottish Premiership and were founded in 1943 as Ferranti Thistle, a works team.

The club was admitted to the Scottish Football League and renamed as Meadowbank Thistle in 1974, and played its matches at Meadowbank Stadium in Edinburgh.

In 1995, the club was relocated to Livingston, West Lothian and renamed after the town. Since then Livingston have played their home games at Almondvale Stadium. In the ten years following the move to Livingston the club enjoyed notable success, winning promotion to the Scottish Premier League in 2001, qualifying for the UEFA Cup in its maiden season in the top flight (finishing third behind Celtic and Rangers) and winning the 2004 Scottish League Cup.

However, the club hit financial problems in 2004, and was relegated to the Scottish First Division in 2006.

In July 2009 the club faced further financial problems and were on the verge of suffering a liquidation event before a deal was struck. Livingston were subsequently demoted to the Scottish Third Division,[2] but the club achieved consecutive promotions and went on to regain its place in the top tier after winning the 2017–18 Scottish Premiership play-offs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Fri 11 Nov 05:50

I was at the Livingston match the other night and in the first half they were superb to be fair. Everything contrasted from a `typical Livi Team`. A decent high press, real quality in the wide areas and a tremendous tempo.

Second half they didn`t get out there half, didn`t lay a glove which is probably down to Aberdeens quality and patterns of play. Goodwin was sitting behind me and was interesting to hear his comments during the game on the phone down to the bench.

Really was a game of two halves but the first half Livingston were superb.

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Fri 11 Nov 10:50

I totally forgot they went into admin twice in all honesty untill reading through this.

Remember the guy who won the lottery getting done up like a kipper by the two guys who were previously involved with Celtic, allegedly of course, and ended up losing the lot.

They`ve had some cracking players over the years despite their relative lack of status and history: Fernandez, Brotto, Hoolihan, Snodgrass and even our very own manager who i bizzarely seem to remember playing as a centre forward in a few reserve games away back at the start of his career.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 11 Nov 12:07

Always wondered how they would do on grass.By my reckoning they have only won 17 away games out of 79 since they returned to the top flight in 2018 and 4 of those were also on astro.I`m not sure how this compares to other teams home and away records but their park always looks a nightmare to play on imo.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Benny74  
Date:   Fri 11 Nov 12:24

Im not really sure who owns them or whet their business model is but I know I would prefer that Dunfermline are completely transparent with the way we go about things. I am interested in what they they are up to though particularly with signings. Nouble wasn`t the only one who was signed and then put straight out on loan to the lower league although not many come back and have the impact he has! Good luck to them though. I don`t wish them any ill will.

Benny74
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net