DAFC.net
Home 04 December 2022 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 France v Australia
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 21:08

I don`t think I`ve ever seen a quicker player off a standing start than Mbappe. Jason Cummings hardly got a touch after he came on.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: France v Australia
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 21:12

Thought the French were showing their opponents a clean pair of heels throughout the game, Wee Eck. Some fitness levels!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 21:41

I would say Willie Johnston was the best I saw in Scotland for pace off a standing start. The Dutch player Overmars was also exceptional and there was a Danish winger from the 80s who was sprinter level but I can`t remember his name. Robben of Holland was untouchable once he hit top gear as Sergio Ramos discovered in a 5-1 mauling at the WC.

Pace matters of course, but the ability to move the ball accurately at speed is more important. England for me don`t have it, no matter if they have fast forwards. They think slower than either Holland or Senegal who I saw play last night, yet someone on here claimed on here England would `annihilate` Senegal if they meet. Koulbilyl, the Senegal centre half, is as far above McGuire or Stones as they are Benedictus. England scored six goals against a substitute keeper, lost two to a workman line attack, yet are being touted as contenders?

France tonight were a level above that pedestrian performance. They might lack a leader in defence of the Marius Tresor, Desailly type but their forward play is dynamic at times. You might argue that Saka and Demboule are of a par, as with Kane and Giroud. But Mbappe is in a class of his own.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 22:32

That was me. We`ll find out soon enough anyway but as someone pointed out Senegal might not even make it out of their group for England to pump. Koulibaly and Mane are about the only two Senegalese players that would get in the England squad.

The rest of the squad are playing for bottom half Premier League sides whereas most of England`s are top half sides.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 23:04

Beware of EPL or Champions League snobbery. Your judgment of players will be better informed than mine since I see little and hear little less from the pundits who cover these arenas. But international football is a different set up which Saudi Arabia showed today. As Kevin Keegan used to boast in the studio: `Never heard of the lad.`

England will probably qualify from their own group although their last two big matches against the USA and Wales ended in draws. There`s also the perplexing fact of a defeat to Iceland not so long back, and that was against a team of players none of whom would have made the England bench. Status and reputation, like Lewandowski discovered today, count for nought. He`s still to score at a WC finals despite his great career. That`s a few less than Valencia, a lower EPL player, who England might have to face if Senegal don`t qualify.

Since I`ve watched international football England lack speed of thought and that remains unchanged despite having quick forwards at the moment. They imported Celtic fringe players for a century to cover that gap in their national league and now draw from a global pool, but they can`t produce it themselves from home grown talent.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 23:37

I`ve watched most of them more than once as I go to the games. I`ve only not seen three of them playing in the flesh from the starting line up in the last game. They`re decent players there`s no doubt about that but they aren`t at England`s level either individually or collectively. The goals they lost to the Netherlands were terrible. At least Iran had a bit of craft to their goals.

I`m not sure what the relevance to the Iceland game is in comparing Senegal to England. It was six years ago under a different manager and only two starters in Kane and Sterling are still playing. If the point is anyone can beat anyone then that`s a given but England will cruise past either Ecaudor or Senegal and I`d expect them to beat the Dutch as well if they lined up with the same starting 11 that they did against Senegal.

The USA game that was 1 1 was 2010 so again has very little relevance to the the current sides and England have won their last six against Wales so not sure what is being classed as a big game there?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 22 Nov 23:46

France are a class apart and look a great bet to retain the trophy. Mbappe is surely the best player in the world today. Fabulous.

Pity any right back tasked with the job of constraining him. The Australian lad, Nat Atkinson, will not sleep well tonight. I chuckled when a reporter said he was roasted to a crisp by Mbappe and then feasted on by the overlapping Hernandez.

Once you add Griezmann, Dembele, Rabiot and Giroud, it is obvious that France have got a hell of a side this World Cup.

A commentator noted that the valuation of the French squad was approximately 800 million pounds more than the Australian squad. Yet, for the first half an hour we Australians lived the dream, leading the world champions after scoring a beautifully constructed goal.

But, just as after Skerla`s goal at Hampden, there was always an underlying sense that the inevitable would happen, as it surely did, and we were outclassed and swamped.

We still have Tunisia and Denmark to face, and to be honest, I don`t see us getting anything from either game.

Looking at the teams from France and England, it is hard in these troubled times to escape the irony that neither side would be up to much without the players whose families originate in the colonies. However, I doubt that ultra-nationalists like Marie Le Pen or Nigel Farage would appreciate anyone pointing that out to them.

Of course, without immigration, Australia would not have a football team at this or any other World Cup; Aboriginals much prefer Aussie Rules.

:)

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Nov 08:15

LPF,

My error regarding Wales; they were beaten by a late England goal in 2016 Euros. England’s tournament form has been impressive since Southgate took over although I can’t see them being able to ‘cruise’ past teams in the last 16. However I’m sure England have one big performance in them and that might come if they play France despite what we saw from Mbappe and co.last night. Too much is being read into the first match a team plays and that certainly applies to the media reaction regarding England performance against Iran.

sammer
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 23 Nov 10:15

I don`t think you can ever pay too much attention to the media in regard to England`s chances as those articles are ultimately written by football fans. They often flip between the extremes of losers and winners.

England simply have better players than Iran, Wales, USA, Senegal and Ecaudor and whilst anyone can beat anyone it would be more of a surprise if England got turned over by any of those sides than England beat any of those sides.

That being said, although England have some very decent players, I do think a couple of squads such as France have better all-around quality.

I`m always happy to back my opinions with a punt so my thoughts on the respective teams chances and the returns are as follows and either reflect a genuine belief they will win or presented an opportunity to lay them at a shorter price so it turned into a free bet:

Brazil £4
France £144
Argentina £60
Spain £137
Netherlands £140
Portugal £10

I don`t think the Dutch will win it but do think they`ll win their group so can hopefully lay that bet off. I think Brazil and Argentina are a bit overhyped but wanted to cover them just in case and I haven`t backed England, Germany or Belgium as I don`t think England are good enough to win it and Germany and Belgium have hard routes to the final but I might put saver bets on if they start to look good.

Two bets on group winners:

Dutch, Belgium and Brazil to win their groups and the same with England and Argentina to win their groups.

If we want to get really specific I`ve also covered:

England to score 2+ goals every group game

Croatia, Denmark, Switzerland go out in the last 16, England and Dutch go out in Quarters and Argentina, Brazil and France to make the semis.

Denmark, Poland and Switzerland to go out in the last 16, Dutch out in Quarters, France and England to make the Quarters and Argentina and Brazil to make the semis.

That was all before a ball was kicked. I do think the side of the draw that has Argentina and Brazil is a bit easier but we`ll see I guess.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 23 Nov 10:48

England tend to struggle against technical sides that can keep the ball.When they went out of the last 2 majors to Croatia and Italy from memory the opposition dominated possession.

I`ve never been a great follower of xg stats but for England v Iran it was 2.13 v 1.46-surely makes a mockery of those? It wasn`t like England scored 6 from 25 yards out.

France looked excellent going forward but not sure they are as defensively strong as in the past and the midfield is pretty inexperienced without Pogba and Kante but they are definitely contenders.

Your predictions can`t be too far off mine LPF.I ended up with quarters of Netherlands v Argentina, Spain v Brazil ,England v France and Belgium v Portugal and I had Brazil winning it against France in the final
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 23 Nov 13:13

Iran scored a penalty, which I think is worth 0.77 xG so can skew the stats significantly. England`s xG feels a bit low - but I didn`t watch the game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 23 Nov 14:59

Wrong thread

Post Edited (Wed 23 Nov 15:00)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 23 Nov 15:27

Quote:

parathletic, Wed 23 Nov 10:48

England tend to struggle against technical sides that can keep the ball.When they went out of the last 2 majors to Croatia and Italy from memory the opposition dominated possession.

I`ve never been a great follower of xg stats but for England v Iran it was 2.13 v 1.46-surely makes a mockery of those? It wasn`t like England scored 6 from 25 yards out.

France looked excellent going forward but not sure they are as defensively strong as in the past and the midfield is pretty inexperienced without Pogba and Kante but they are definitely contenders.

Your predictions can`t be too far off mine LPF.I ended up with quarters of Netherlands v Argentina, Spain v Brazil ,England v France and Belgium v Portugal and I had Brazil winning it against France in the final

Great minds or fools?
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net