DAFC.net
Home 05 February 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Formation playing at home
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:14

How on earth can he play one up top to start with .against the bottom team in the fourth tier beggars belief.

F muller
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Formation playing at home
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:17

And yet we still score 4 goals?? Mcpake oot
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dd23  

Is 4-0 not enough for you? I’d have bitten your hand off for that result before the game started.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  

Think I speak for everyone when I say WTF are you complaining about.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:24

Quote:

FRED1981, Sat 26 Nov 17:14

How on earth can he play one up top to start with .against the bottom team in the fourth tier beggars belief.

1 main striker with 2 guys supporting him, quite attacking if you ask me..........
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:25

It was 4-3-3...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:37

I it was great the first 20 minutes and surely we have to play two strikers at HOME against SH@T opposition ,by the way we sure didn’t carve them out playing 4 3 3.

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Benny74  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:37

Unbelievable post.
We have just won 4 scud. Not only that but we only have 2 strikers fit. The striker scores twice.I hope this is a wind up.

Benny74
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Kessel  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:40

Absolutely mental thread. What a state to get into after a 4-0 win.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Football_Par  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 17:58

you on the Bevvy fred ? :)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 18:05

Glad I wisnae sittin in front o` Fred. He was probably moaning the whole game about an imagined team formation that just didn`t exist. Cheer up Fred, we won 4-0 and Forfar were trying to waste time at 3-0 down.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 18:48

"surely we have to play two strikers at HOME against SH@T opposition ,by the way we sure didn’t carve them out playing 4 3 3"

no we dont and even when we did have 2 strikers for a spell we didnt create anything more.

and it wasnt 433 either.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:08

If you want to be pedantic, it was actually 3-4-2-1 and I thought it suited the players we have

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sat 26 Nov 19:08)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:11

Unbelievable post my backend we should be playing two up front every home game in this league ,everybody has there own options so I didn’t think it would start world war three.I have been coming to EEP for 65 years good times and bad all I want to see is attacking football and I think the majority would admit nearly every game at home in the first half has been poor.

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:14

Quote:

FRED1981, Sat 26 Nov 19:11

Unbelievable post my backend we should be playing two up front every home game in this league ,everybody has there own options so I didn’t think it would start world war three.I have been coming to EEP for 65 years good times and bad all I want to see is attacking football and I think the majority would admit nearly every game at home in the first half has been poor.

I`m worried you`ve been watching football for 65 years and don`t realise that you don`t need 2 strikers to play attacking football. Genuinely concerning.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:15

Absolutely dominated the game and won 4-0.

Chill the F out with the 2 up top.

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/12099928
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:17

Quote:

DBA, Sat 26 Nov 19:14

Quote:

I`m worried you`ve been watching football for 65 years and don`t realise that you don`t need 2 strikers to play attacking football. Genuinely concerning.

To be fair there are folk on here that don`t know how league systems work.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:22

I am just trying to point out the opposition was Forfar for feck sake no Celtic or the rest of the top division.

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:24

Quote:

FRED1981, Sat 26 Nov 19:22

I am just trying to point out the opposition was Forfar for feck sake no Celtic or the rest of the top division.

Good job you`re here to point that out. No one noticed.

Do you really believe that you need 2 up front to play attacking football?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:25

Quote:

Well after 65 years you`d think you know something about the game.........
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bazzler1981  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:35

Fred they were never in the game bud, I prefer 2 up top and get a bit annoyed when we play only 1 against lesser teams but you can’t argue with player selection or formation when we win 4-0

Post Edited (Sat 26 Nov 19:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:38

I kind of agree Fred. I like to see 2 up top, however the timing of your post after a 4-0 victory wasn’t the best perhaps 🏁🏁
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: k76  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 19:40

We won, formation was spot on.
Our GK never had a save to make for the entire 90mins and we scored 4 goals, I will take that every week.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 20:04

City played 4 5 1 with Aguero up front and they are hardly known as a defensive side..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 20:08

Another game where our manager trumps the brainless mutants on .net

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 20:10

Quote:

da_no_1, Sat 26 Nov 20:08

Another game where our manager trumps the brainless mutants on .net

Name calling makes you as bad as them ...........
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 20:14

Four four facking Two!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bazzler1981  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 20:28

Alwaysapar- just ignore that poor excuse of a human that is da_no_1 his wife beats him up so he feels the need to come on here and abuse his fellow pars

Andrew283- BOOM!! Drop that mic

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 21:09

We were more dangerous and attack-minded before going ‘2 up front’ today. Having Mochrie and KRH in behind Wighton was more effective and certainly not negative/defensive. Having Mochrie and KRH getting on the ball, running at Forfar and causing their defence problems meant we controlled the game, drew defenders out of position and created space. It also meant that they were pressing/hassling their defenders when we didn’t have the ball. That was crucial for the 3 first half goals. I really don’t understand why people are suggesting that a team with both of them, Todd and wing backs that played as wingers when we had possession set up negatively. Truly baffling stuff.

I don’t understand the odd mentality of counting the number of strikers to determine how attack-minded teams are. Liverpool under Klopp tend to play one ‘striker’, so do Man City under Pep. Barcelona did under Pep. None of those teams’ tactics could be described as negative. Trying to be more positive/attack-minded is the main reason Hamilton rarely gets a game right now. Yet a lot of people that are calling our tactics negative complain about him not playing.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 21:25

The enforced change, which meant Todorov coming on, emphasised exactly why the manager started him on the bench

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sat 26 Nov 21:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 22:28

Yip, totally agree.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 23:14

Quite puzzling to see it described as 4-3-3 above when we were quite clearly playing 3 at the back, unless I was having a really bad day. That 3-4-2-1 shape has worked OK for us a few times this season, along with the slight variation of the basic 3-5-2. It`s always a trade-off but I always find complaints about `one up front at home` totally weird - it`s about finding an effective shape that gives you a balance between defence and attack and whether you go 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 3-4-2-1 or whatever else, those numbers are only ever a shorthand that conceals a lot of the detail.

I`d call it 3-4-2-1, but you could reasonably describe today`s shape as 5-4-1, and if you don`t know anything about football you`d probably look at that and think it was ultra defensive. You could also describe it as 3-6-1, which might look like it was a case of flooding the midfield. Or you could describe it as 3-4-3, which might make it look like a very attacking setup. As it happens it wasn`t ultra defensive, a flodded midfield or wide open for attacking, and you can only tell that by watching the game rather than looking at the formation in isolation.

The formation is important but the application of it matters just as much. Most formations allow the balance between defence and attack to be adjusted by small tweaks in the application. Although I think we have issues with slow passing in the first half of games, I don`t have a problem with the shape today at all, as it gave a good balance. If you think that it`s necessary to play 2 up to have any attacking intent, then I think you`re talking nonsense.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 26 Nov 23:28

I was in the main stand today and you really get a good perspective of shape as apposed to my usual seat in the Norrie. Definitely 3 at the back. Edwards,Comrie pushing high up. Wighton well supported up top by Hosler and Todd and Mochrie. Chalmers a little deeper than usual. I think against this team it worked very well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 08:12

DA NO1 insulting others whose opinion differs from his shocker.

Nothing changes with this no mark poster. Can we have an ignore feature please admin???

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 08:34

Aye, mea culpa, meant to say 3-4-3 but fat fingers got in the wat and typed 4-3-3. My fault for not checking. Definitely looked worse when we went 2 up top too, although of course we did get the 4th through Todarov missing his chance and Wighton following up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 09:02

I`m not sure they`re a decent partnership so far. Can totally understand having ball players like Mochrie and Hosler supporting Wighton as he`s our main threat.

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 09:11

Quote:

GG4, Sun 27 Nov 08:12

Nothing changes with this no mark poster. Can we have an ignore feature please admin???

Sounds good to me. Fingers crossed it happens soon.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 09:13

Quote:

Bazzler1981, Sat 26 Nov 20:28

Alwaysapar- just ignore that poor excuse of a human that is da_no_1 his wife beats him up so he feels the need to come on here and abuse his fellow pars

That`s a terrible thing to level at anyone but whatever floats your boat chap

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 11:14

Topic Originator: da_no_1
Date: Sun 27 Nov 09:11

Quote:

GG4, Sun 27 Nov 08:12

Sounds good to me. Fingers crossed it happens soon.

Excellent. You`d be 1st on it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 11:38

Back on topic. I agree with those who maintain that playing with one up front needn`t be a negative tactic, although I`d agree it tends to suggest a cautious approach.

I remember Parma playing 4-5-1 at home to Milan, who were the best in Europe at the time, playing a 4-3-3. Baresi, Maldini and Co, couldn`t cope with the 5 midfielders flooding forward, with Tino Asprilla laying passes off left, right and centre. Parma won 4-0.

Not sure I agree with the implied suggestion that teams should adopt different tactics and formations for home and away games. Surely a team should adopt an approach which gives them the best chance of winning against each team they play, irrespective of the venue?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 12:05

“The formation is important but the application of it matters just as much.”

Good point.

Yesterday 3-4-2-1 worked in an attacking format.

Falkirk away 3-4-2-1 worked in a defensive format.

Same formation different tactics.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 12:13

we didnt play 3421 at Falkirk....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 12:44

I`ve long been curious as to whether `one up front` is treated with the same contempt in other countries as it often is here, and whether we suffer from a sort of blindness to it because football has been so well established for so long throughout Scotland and England.

Reading of the aftermath of Hungary`s famous 6-3 win at Wembley in 1953, it seems that there was a reluctance to accept that football outside the UK bubble had moved on and left the original powers behind. Part of that was the tactical innovation with a deep-lying centre forward and, even though it was obvious to those watching carefully, it was not widely accepted that having fewer forward players was more effective and aided a team in both defence and attack.

Is our aversion to one up front a throwback to this, where collectively we were used to seeing at least two forwards in each team, and particularly so for older fans?

Does anyone here from places like South Africa, USA or Australia - countries where the professional game developed more recently - have any views on this, and whether formations with one up front are treated with the same scepticism we often see here?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 12:50

There was a season where Roma played Totti up front on his own - until he got injured.

Spaletti devised a 4-6-0 formation with, I think, 1 holding and 5 forward thinking midfielders, bombing on. I think they won 10 or 11 games in a row and nearly won the title.

I`m sure it was described as mesmerising rather than dull or defensive.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 13:01

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Sun 27 Nov 12:50

There was a season where Roma played Totti up front on his own - until he got injured.

Spaletti devised a 4-6-0 formation with, I think, 1 holding and 5 forward thinking midfielders, bombing on. I think they won 10 or 11 games in a row and nearly won the title.

I`m sure it was described as mesmerising rather than dull or defensive.

Craig Levein took all the credit for the 4-6-0 as well!
Horses for courses-depends on the make up of your squad.If we had a Crawford or Brewster on the bench then you could understand folk crying out for another striker on but we don`t.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 13:03

Yep it was 4-3-3 against Falkirk

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 13:22

I think Levein came up with the idea having watched Rubin Kazan hold Barcelona (back when they were Barcelona) 1-1 in the Champions League with the same formation.

Don`t think either Scotland or Rubin Kazan`s take on the formation was anywhere near as progressive as the way Roma applied it!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 13:28

Just checked. Roma`s version was in 2006 and it was actually Vucinic that got injured - their big striker - and Totti was one of the six midfielders, albeit the most forward thinking.

There`s an argument it was a 4-5-1 or a 4-1-4-1 with Totti playing as, what is now called, a false 9.

But, aye, just chuck Todorov and Wighton up front because it's Forfar... Interestingly, that would likely have meant our best player, KRH (reportedly, as I couldn't make it yesterday), would have been on the bench.

Post Edited (Sun 27 Nov 13:31)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 13:29

"Spaletti devised a 4-6-0 formation with, I think, 1 holding and 5 forward thinking midfielders, bombing on"

5 is the base number to work from in terms of forward thinking players in most games, in some games for us like yesterday you can get away with a 6th and in tougher games you go down to 4.

if we are going to play like we did yesterday, we could do with another midfielder who can pick that pass forward in to the attacking midfielders.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 13:39

Falkirk away was definitely 4 at back as Breen came on as a late sub.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 27 Nov 18:55

65yrs?

I didn`t think you were that old!🤔😲
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Mon 28 Nov 02:14

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Sun 27 Nov 18:55

65yrs?

I didn`t think you were that old!🤔😲

Is 65yrs no the standard number of years people use to justify making stupid posts like Freddie boy here?

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Mon 28 Nov 14:30

Quote:

Socks, Sun 27 Nov 12:44

Does anyone here from places like South Africa, USA or Australia - countries where the professional game developed more recently - have any views on this, and whether formations with one up front are treated with the same scepticism we often see here?

Socks - here in South Africa I would say formations with one up front are not treated with such an attitude, as this doesn’t preclude teams attacking in numbers with wing backs and midfielders and sometimes central defenders bombing forward during attacks.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Mon 28 Nov 15:33

Who tf plays with two strikers up front anyway these days?

Moon howlers!

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 28 Nov 15:44

Man city played with no strikers last year

Very defensive team city

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net