DAFC.net
Home 05 February 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Aussie Aussie Aussie
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 16:56

Oooohhh ya beauty!!!

:))

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Aussie Aussie Aussie
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 16:58

Fantastic result!

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 17:16

A stunning result for Australia. A prime example of how teamwork and togetherness can overcome a perceived lack of quality. Hopefully, no more pretentious nonsense about the lack of worthiness of the Asian Group.

We won two games out of three. We finish the group stage on equal points with the world champions, France. Next up its the knockout round of 16 and probably Argentina. Anything from here on in is a bonus.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Hay Fever  
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 17:45

Oz, how many Scots are in that team, Souter and Jamie MacLaren definitely and Boyle and Cummings I know off in the Squad as well

Good on them all👏

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DunfyDave  
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 17:51

You must be dead chuffed OzPar. It`s was bum clenching watch at times BUTT you got there and well deserved

DunfyDave
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 17:51

Scored in every game and rewarded for being willing to give it a go.Well done!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 17:53

Yes, there is a fair contingent of Scots, or as we would prefer to call ourselves... Aussie Scots. There are also several players who are with Scottish clubs, so if you are looking to adopt a team in the WC, look no further than Australia...

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 18:40

Great result Oz .. and a very good goal to win the game

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Townsvillepar  
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 23:00

Great result for the Socceroos. I watched the game live at 1am in the morning, and I am sure I woke a few people up in the neighbourhood when Australia scored, and then again at the end of the game. Harry Souttar has become a hero, and has played so well.
This can only be good for football development in Australia and there will hopefully be money available, (although I have doubts about FFA in doing a good job).
The whole country will be watching the Argentina game early on Sunday morning.
Well done Graham Arnold who has been a very easy target for the critics.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Wed 30 Nov 23:09

Shows what’s achievable with the right mental attitude,unlike us Scots we think we are inferior and in a battle from the start.

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 07:30

Dead chuffed for you Aussie Scots, but please don`t refer to your team as the Socceroos, Townsville. It`s so American... 😨😃

Argentina will be very tough - they`re wily and cynical and they know how to dig out a result. A lot of people had them out when they lost their opening game and here they are, group winners.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 10:01

GG you had me thinking, probably for the first time why to the yanks call it Soccer, here is the reason.

The game played under the Football Association’s rules thus became known as association football.

Inevitably, the names would be shortened. Linguistically creative students at the University of Oxford in the 1880s distinguished between the sports of “rugger” (rugby football) and “assoccer” (association football). The latter term was further shortened to “soccer” (sometimes spelled “socker”), and the name quickly spread beyond the campus.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 10:20

Not just Americans that call it soccer...

Here in the uk, if I go to my relatives in Northern Ireland (and across Ireland) and say, asked them what was the score of the football last weekend, they wouldn`t think I was talking about soccer but would tell me the GAA score.
Id have to say soccer for them to know I was talking about what we would call football

Obviously it can context shift to football once the topic is clear

Post Edited (Thu 01 Dec 10:21)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 13:24

My PE teacher called it soccer, due to this I`ve got a tendancy to also call the game soccer. This has led to me getting called an American!

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 13:36

Quote:

dover par, Wed 30 Nov 23:09

Shows what’s achievable with the right mental attitude,unlike us Scots we think we are inferior and in a battle from the start.

A massive difference of course being the ease of qualifying that Australia have compared to Scotland...
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 17:29

Shame we couldn`t convince Harry Souttar to play for Scotland - he`s been immense all tournament..

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 20:32

The top professional league here in South Africa is called the PSL ((Professional Soccer League)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 23:03

In reply to GG, I agree that Socceroos sounds Americanised.
Australia is becoming more Americanised throughout the country. I used the term Socceroos as a term of endearment for the national team, and that is the name that has been around for many years.
However I admit to hating the word soccer and I have had hundreds of arguments over the last 42 years with afficiandos of the other 3 football codes, namely AFL, Rugby League and Rugby Union who all claim that their sport is Football. It is frustrating as the media still use the word soccer despite that the national body is FFA (Football Federation of Australia). This was initiated about 15 years ago and gave rise to the A league. One day it will be referred to as football but in the meantime I will continue to have the same arguments!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 23:11

I`ve never understood how games, whose main distinguishing characteristic is that the ball can be handled, are called `footie`.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 00:43

I hear you, Townsvillepar, and I share your misgivings. Very few football fans in Oz are comfortable with the word `soccer`, especially, as wee eck points out, the other codes are not really dominated by foot and ball.

As for Grant`s throwaway comment that Australia had an easier route to Qatar than Scotland... we have dealt with this already.

Australia had to play twice as many games as Scotland to qualify, they had to play most games away from home because of covid restrictions, had to travel across half the globe for most matches, and then had to face a tough play-off against Peru, nominally a stronger team.

Yes, there are some quality issues in the Asian Group, just as there are in the European Group... Gibraltar? San Marino? Montenegro? Faroe Islands? Moldova? Luxembourg? There are plenty more weak nations we could mention.

It is a tired old argument, Grant.

In this WC, Asian Group countries like Australia, Japan, Saudi Arabia and South Korea have performed pretty well against top line opposition. Arguably, Asia has jumped past Africa and is now 3rd in the group rankings behind Europe and South America.

You could say that the USA, Mexico and Canada had far easier routes to Qatar, hopping around the islands of the Caribbean and the poverty stricken nations of Central America.

As for Scotland, their route to Qatar was not that difficult. They just made it difficult for themselves and bottled it when it really mattered. Viewed from this side of the world, that is the painful truth.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 03:50

Superb Ozpar. I have been supporting them and Japan from the outset. I have relatives in Australia and I am really pleased for them. Well Done.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 11:01

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 2 Dec 00:43

I hear you, Townsvillepar, and I share your misgivings. Very few football fans in Oz are comfortable with the word `soccer`, especially, as wee eck points out, the other codes are not really dominated by foot and ball.

As for Grant`s throwaway comment that Australia had an easier route to Qatar than Scotland... we have dealt with this already.

Australia had to play twice as many games as Scotland to qualify, they had to play most games away from home because of covid restrictions, had to travel across half the globe for most matches, and then had to face a tough play-off against Peru, nominally a stronger team.

Yes, there are some quality issues in the Asian Group, just as there are in the European Group... Gibraltar? San Marino? Montenegro? Faroe Islands? Moldova? Luxembourg? There are plenty more weak nations we could mention.

It is a tired old argument, Grant.

In this WC, Asian Group countries like Australia, Japan, Saudi Arabia and South Korea have performed pretty well against top line opposition. Arguably, Asia has jumped past Africa and is now 3rd in the group rankings behind Europe and South America.

You could say that the USA, Mexico and Canada had far easier routes to Qatar, hopping around the islands of the Caribbean and the poverty stricken nations of Central America.

As for Scotland, their route to Qatar was not that difficult. They just made it difficult for themselves and bottled it when it really mattered. Viewed from this side of the world, that is the painful truth.

It`s not a tired old argument Oz, it`s simply the truth.

If Australia had to go through Scotlands qualifying process they wouldn`t be in Qatar, or any world Cup anytime soon.

The nations you mention are inconsequential to Scotland qualifying.

However to become the side in the playoff qualifier Australia had to overcome some truly massive sides, the strongest seed two they could`ve gotten was Iraq (and you mentioned Central America and it`s poverty stricken Island hopping, oaft) as it is they managed to get past Kuwait and Jordan in there first group (I could like you did mention there lowest placed side, Chinese Taipei but I realise they were probably also inconsequential), however Australia could only then finish third in a six team group, finishing one point above Oman. Now they aren`t an inconsequential rubbish side, they are in fact apparently almost as good as Australia.

Despite finishing third Australia then had a playoff against the footballing powerhouse of the United Arab Emirates.

You mention those other sides who have done, and performed well, but for Australia to qualify they didn`t have to match or even exceed them, they just had to be better than Oman and the UAE.

But hey, if the Australians think Scotland route is just as easy that says allot more about the football knowledge of those silly Aussies than anything else.

Oman and the UAE 😂 😂 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tad Allagash  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 12:08

Australia just knocked out Denmark, who comfortably won Scotland’s group in qualification.

The only decent European side that failed to qualify for the World Cup is Italy.

Good luck tonight(tomorrow morning?) OzPar and TownsvillePar.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 12:17

Quote:

Tad Allagash, Sat 3 Dec 12:08

Australia just knocked out Denmark, who comfortably won Scotland’s group in qualification.

The only decent European side that failed to qualify for the World Cup is Italy.

Once you`re in the raffle Tad anyone can win! That`s the joy with tournament football.

Scotland also beat Denmark last time we played, over a three game period/one of game almost anything can happen. Scotland beat Italy and France (twice) over one qualifying campaign, we didn`t qualify above either though. The more games you have the more chance you have of quality shining through.

All credit and fair play to Australia, I`m delighted for our Pars fans who reside over there and I hope they`ve loved the World Cup, it`d be some story if they progressed further.

To make out that they`ve had as difficult a qualifying process as Scotland is just an absolute nonsense though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 12:31

Quote:

Grant, Sat 3 Dec 12:17

Quote:

Once you`re in the raffle Tad anyone can win! That`s the joy with tournament football.

Scotland also beat Denmark last time we played, over a three game period/one of game almost anything can happen. Scotland beat Italy and France (twice) over one qualifying campaign, we didn`t qualify above either though. The more games you have the more chance you have of quality shining through.

All credit and fair play to Australia, I`m delighted for our Pars fans who reside over there and I hope they`ve loved the World Cup, it`d be some story if they progressed further.

To make out that they`ve had as difficult a qualifying process as Scotland is just an absolute nonsense though.

Italy actually beat us twice in that qualifying campaign, the one result that undid all our good work against France was getting beat away in Georgia .......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 12:53

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Sat 3 Dec 12:31

Quote:

Grant, Sat 3 Dec 12:17

Quote:

Italy actually beat us twice in that qualifying campaign, the one result that undid all our good work against France was getting beat away in Georgia .......

Right enough you are! Luca Toni last minute winner. People complain it wasn`t a free kick, but then our equaliser was absolutely offside...

The Georgia away game was a shocker, wearing a maroon kit with Georgia fielding a 12 year old in goal we had a shocker.

As I said though, the more games you play the more likely you are to get a true representation of where the clubs stand in regards to how good they are, we beat France twice but we fair rode our luck in Paris, if that had been at a world Cup tournament though we`d have been going through.

It`s why cup and tournament football has such a fond place in people`s hearts, it`s hard to have a massive shock over a whole season because in the end, the best side is going to end up on top, but in a tournament it might not be the best side, just the side who turned up at the right time!

Greece weren`t the best in Europe when they won the Euros for example.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 13:03

There is no doubt that the Asian qualifying is easier than the European one.

Fair play to the Australians though, I don`t think many of their side would get in a Scottish first XI but they`re well-organised, work extremely hard and have got through a group that nobody thought they had a chance in.

A big, big ask for them to get any further but if they score the first goal today, that Argentinian jersey will start to get very heavy on the backs of their players.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 19:25

Wishing Oz and Townsville good luck for their team
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 19:42

Messi is just a genius

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 22:14

Ah well, that`s the adventure over for another four years. The Aussie`s have nothing to be ashamed of. They acquitted themselves very well, scoring in every game. With a little bit of luck, they might have squeezed an equaliser right at the death, but it was not to be.

The Aussies demonstrated that solid teamwork and unity of purpose can enhance a relatively average squad. But, in truth, that will only take you so far... when you come up against the individual genius of Lionel Messi.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 22:38

Thanks for your good wishes Tad Allagash and Rhio Pars for the Australian team. It was mountain to climb and not to be. However Australia left nothing and played their hearts out. I feel for Matty Ryan who`s dreadful mistake gave the game to Argentina. He has been immense for Australia. As Oz said with a bit of luck Australia could have equalised through Kuol in the last minute, but for a great save by Martinez. Just before that the run by Behich before a brilliant interception would have been the goal of the tournament.
The Australian performance at this World Cup has ignited the people of Australia, and hopefully football can progress as a result. We will wait and see.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 22:44

Assuming it`s changed for a while now but i seem to remember certain areas being so weak - for lack of a better term - that they only got a playoff against another continent for the right to get to the WC proper.

Have a memory of a relatively strong Australia team beating teams by scores you`d see at a primary school Boys` Brigade game only to bottle it in the eventual playoff game and miss out on the World Cup.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Sat 03 Dec 22:45)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: brian  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 23:06

fantastic effort by Austrailia.
could have eqaulised in the last minute.
well deserved superb performance

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 00:04

Only time Jason Cummings could say he was on the same pitch as Messi?😲
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 07:39

Great second half - Messi led Argentina were very good but the Aussies just wouldn’t give up - if Behich had scored that it would have been the new “Gemmil” World Cup goal and they were so close in the last minute. Great to see so many Scots and Scottish based players doing so well (and not just in the Australia team) - and Harry Souttar has been absolutely outstanding.

Don’t agree with the World Cup being there and wasn’t intending watching it but it’s drawn me in and has been great - no drink for the punters and we’ve had great crowds who seem to be really enjoying it with no need for segregation.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 08:42

I hadn`t noticed how little Messi actually runs in a game until this tournament.I thought he may actually be carrying an injury last night for the first half hour, so little was his effort.Of course he can still change a game in a moment but Rio Ferdinand calling it a god like performance was way over the top imo.Unsurprisingly given it was his 1000th game he looks way past his best.

If Argentina go behind(like Saudi Arabia game)I reckon they could struggle as there is very little pressure on the ball.I think the Dutch look over-priced to beat them next.If Messi does lead what is, in my opinion, a bang average Argentina side all the way he will deserve all the accolades that come his way but I don`t see it.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net