DAFC.net
Home 31 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 08:41

James McPake has won the award for League 1 again for the club`s success in November. He must be attracting the attention of bigger clubs now.

There`s also a feature on the SPFL website about the Pars by David Buick who says he has followed the club since 2006/07. He can`t shed any light on our nickname though!

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 10:21

It seems to me that along with the previous award it has gone largely uncelebrated on here.
It`s great recognition and if he wins it every month......🏆⬆️

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 11:16

That`s an interesting comment, SP77. I`ve always thought there`s a general reluctance on here to celebrate any kind of success the club achieves. It`s obvious any weekend when we have a good result. There are always fewer posts than when we lose or draw.

I wonder why that is? Are we averse to blowing our own trumpet or maybe superstitious about getting ahead of ourselves? Maybe some of us think winning and success should be the norm for our club and don`t merit celebration. My own view is that success in football for a club like ours is so fleeting and hard to achieve on a consistent basis that we should take every opportunity to enjoy it and congratulate those who achieve it on our behalf.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: JnrB  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 12:24

I think a large part of that is when we lose/have a bad result it generates more debatable topics, people being pee’d off and jumping in on threads all with differing views which can quickly branch off.

When we have a good result the majority of folk are content, normally in agreement which creates less debate/animosity and probably don’t feel the need to add post as their views have already been posted.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 16:53

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 1 Dec 11:16

That`s an interesting comment, SP77. I`ve always thought there`s a general reluctance on here to celebrate any kind of success the club achieves. It`s obvious any weekend when we have a good result. There are always fewer posts than when we lose or draw.

I wonder why that is? Are we averse to blowing our own trumpet or maybe superstitious about getting ahead of ourselves? Maybe some of us think winning and success should be the norm for our club and don`t merit celebration. My own view is that success in football for a club like ours is so fleeting and hard to achieve on a consistent basis that we should take every opportunity to enjoy it and congratulate those who achieve it on our behalf.



Think you`re looking far, far, far too deeply into that.

People won`t be posting about the manager of the month award because FoE the vast majority of fans, it means nothing.

The point about post activity after a loss has been covered above, simply put when we lose you`ll have different opinions on why we lost, that generates debate, debates generate more posts.

If we win though what is there to debate? Most of the time people won`t bother replying to a post they agree with because what`s the point?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 17:05

Most of the stuff that is posted after a loss is a total over-reaction and doesn`t just relate to the game. When things go well you won`t hear the directors or backroom staff being praised or the manager`s demeanour or dress sense being admired. How hard is it to say `Well done, James!`

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Bazzler1981  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 20:44

Why would you celebrate a man doing what he’s paid for?? He’s arguably the best manager in the league with the best team he should be winning it every month

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 1 Dec 21:00

Well done James!

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
-
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 13:07

James has some interesting comments on the World Cup on COWS. Because of the timings he and his staff and the players have been able to watch some of the games together.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 14:51

Quote:

Grant, Thu 1 Dec 16:53

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 1 Dec 11:16

That`s an interesting comment, SP77. I`ve always thought there`s a general reluctance on here to celebrate any kind of success the club achieves. It`s obvious any weekend when we have a good result. There are always fewer posts than when we lose or draw.

I wonder why that is? Are we averse to blowing our own trumpet or maybe superstitious about getting ahead of ourselves? Maybe some of us think winning and success should be the norm for our club and don`t merit celebration. My own view is that success in football for a club like ours is so fleeting and hard to achieve on a consistent basis that we should take every opportunity to enjoy it and congratulate those who achieve it on our behalf.



Think you`re looking far, far, far too deeply into that.

People won`t be posting about the manager of the month award because FoE the vast majority of fans, it means nothing.

The point about post activity after a loss has been covered above, simply put when we lose you`ll have different opinions on why we lost, that generates debate, debates generate more posts.

If we win though what is there to debate? Most of the time people won`t bother replying to a post they agree with because what`s the point?


Agreed ;)

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 15:26

I still don`t understand why there should be a bandwagon effect for criticism but not for praise. Don`t we go to the football to be entertained and see our team win? Why not celebrate with fellow-fans when it happens?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 15:27

Some people aren`t happy unless they`re unhappy.

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/12099928
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Malcolm Canmore  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 15:28

Why would you celebrate a man doing what he’s paid for?? He’s arguably the best manager in the league with the best team he should be winning it every month.

On that basis why would you celebrate what Messi, Ronaldo etc. do? They`re just doing their jobs.

The fact is, every manager in avery division is competing to be the best and our manager has achieved that, so well done to him.

My dog eats meat
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 16:12

Quote:

Bazzler1981, Thu 1 Dec 20:44

Why would you celebrate a man doing what he’s paid for?? He’s arguably the best manager in the league with the best team he should be winning it every month


Arguably and should be. You seem to be arguing with yourself?!

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 16:47

Quote:

Malcolm Canmore, Fri 2 Dec 15:28

Why would you celebrate a man doing what he’s paid for?? He’s arguably the best manager in the league with the best team he should be winning it every month.

On that basis why would you celebrate what Messi, Ronaldo etc. do? They`re just doing their jobs.

The fact is, every manager in avery division is competing to be the best and our manager has achieved that, so well done to him.


Its recognition.Same as any work place, so would you say people should not get recognition ! How about companies paying bonus does that fall under your same mindset ? After all a bonus is the same a recognition of achievement
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 16:57

Quote:

Rigger Al, Fri 2 Dec 16:47

Quote:

Malcolm Canmore, Fri 2 Dec 15:28

Why would you celebrate a man doing what he’s paid for?? He’s arguably the best manager in the league with the best team he should be winning it every month.

On that basis why would you celebrate what Messi, Ronaldo etc. do? They`re just doing their jobs.

The fact is, every manager in avery division is competing to be the best and our manager has achieved that, so well done to him.


Its recognition.Same as any work place, so would you say people should not get recognition ! How about companies paying bonus does that fall under your same mindset ? After all a bonus is the same a recognition of achievement


You`re going after the wrong guy

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 17:19

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 2 Dec 15:26

I still don`t understand why there should be a bandwagon effect for criticism but not for praise. Don`t we go to the football to be entertained and see our team win? Why not celebrate with fellow-fans when it happens?




It`s not a bandwagon effect, it`s just that if we`re doing well everyone tends to agree we do well, if everyone`s in agreement that equates to less posts.

Whereas if we lose people might beleive it was the tactics, the selection, the weather etc etc, and all these disagreements just equate to more and more posts.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 17:31

Totally disagree...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 17:32

I would have thought that those who are interested in tactics, formations, subs, etc would be just as keen to discuss why we won as why we lost. Football pundits do it all the time.
.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 18:28

Quote:

Bazzler1981, Thu 1 Dec 20:44

Why would you celebrate a man doing what he’s paid for?? He’s arguably the best manager in the league with the best team he should be winning it every month


Based on this nonsense, can we assume you’ve never celebrated a striker scoring goals, or praised a goalkeeper for a good save/saving a penalty? After all, they’re just doing what they’re paid for.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 18:41

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 2 Dec 17:32

I would have thought that those who are interested in tactics, formations, subs, etc would be just as keen to discuss why we won as why we lost. Football pundits do it all the time.
.


Not particularly, because what`s the payoff from that discussion "I would`ve went with x Formation and y Subs" is just met with "Well we won so what does it matter?" people just don`t engage with it as much.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 19:00

The thread is about why the manager isn`t given credit when it`s due but gets pelters when we have a bad result. The answer`s no clearer to me.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 20:24

No it isn`t. The thread was originally to mention the manager winning an award, with no hint that it was to turn into a lament about why managers don`t get more praise when things go well. That was a twist that came later, along with the other points made. A thread is not just about something that you chose to bring in a few posts in.

The answer may be no clearer to you, but the suggestions given are entirely plausible, whether or not you accept them. One thing that`s curious is that you yourself often post much more after a bad result than a good one and therefore if it really is something worth moaning about, you surely must be part of the problem. A quick look shows that your input to post-match discussion on the match thread after last week`s comfortable win against Forfar totalled 2 sentences, right at the end. If it`s important to you to have a good discussion after a good win, would it not be logical to expect more discussion points to come from you on the specifics of what happened in the game? Or is it just that you don`t really have much to say because there`s little to debate, along the lines suggested above?

As for this:

"I would have thought that those who are interested in tactics, formations, subs, etc would be just as keen to discuss why we won as why we lost."

There are probably about 4 people who post here regularly who are interested in discussing the tactical side. I`m one of them, and after the win at Falkirk I said that the manager would be very pleased because his game plan worked out pretty much exactly as he would have intended. After the Kelty game, I wrote in some detail about how we struggled in the first half with 3-5-2 against 4-2-3-1, with the clear implication that the change in the second half helped us win the game. Last week, someone moaned about playing one up front, a criticism that was dismissed by almost everyone else. Did you just miss these points, or do you just ignore them because they`re not convenient for your argument?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 20:50

The first post after my opening post questioned why the award wasn`t celebrated and then it just grew legs as tends to happen on here as you said yourself so what`s the problem? I`m flattered that you are so knowledgeable about my posts. I tend to post something after most games, win or lose. I think you`re an exception in posting in detail after a win but that`s just an impression I have.I couldn`t back it up with the kind of detail you`ve taken time to research I`m afraid.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 21:33

There`s no problem with discussions diverging - I was simply pointing out that you were wrong to say that "The thread is about why the manager isn`t given credit when it`s due but gets pelters when we have a bad result", which seemed rather dismissive of the post before, as well as being incorrect.

My `research` into what you said after last week`s game took about 10 seconds.

I may well be an exception in posting detail after a win, but I`m an exception in posting detail after any result - just a different style to most with no claim to be better or worse. Brevity is just not my thing when talking about football. But, if you`re going to implicitly suggest that tactical discussion just does not happen after a win, you can hardly be surprised if I pick up on that and call it out as being untrue.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 22:31

I think most of us are agreed that James McPake fully deserves to be manager of the month. But maybe we don`t want to be thinking of him leaving us any time soon, since we like his style. Talking about fans who just seem to like a good old moan, I`ve tried to work out the logic of the serial moaner who sits behind me in the Norrie and it seems that being top of league 1 is not good enough for him because he is fast forwarding his mind to the Championship and ultimately the Premier league and suggesting that our current team wouldn`t do the business in a higher league.
Talk about taking one game at a time? This guy can`t even take one season at a time.



Post Edited (Fri 02 Dec 22:31)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 23:11

Paralex

I know how you feel, I have a guy who sits behind me in the Norrie and his understanding of tactics is outstanding, continuing to complain that “the keeper shouldn’t be in his box, we are winning keeper should be up”
The Draw against Clyde, “That Manager of Our is Rubbish he will definitely be in front of the board tomorrow, new guy in on Monday”

My son and me have actually started to predict which complaint will be first, tomorrow I have “the manager doesn’t even want us to will it”
My boy “that keeper isn’t going to be playing for us unless he changes”

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 23:34

Thanks DullochConvert but sorry you and your boy have to put up with that too. Because of the cup game last week, I was in a different seat so I`m thinking of moving from my season ticket seat permanently to increase my enjoyment of the game. Thankfully the vast majority of the fans are right behind the management and the team and turning out in numbers home and away.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Manager of the Month
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 2 Dec 23:40

Socks, you`ve obviously got a very analytical mind when it comes to football. For me, it`s mainly about emotion and I like to share my emotions with others. However, if you don`t think this thread is about differing reactions to success and failure we`re reading different threads.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net