DAFC.net
Home 08 February 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Pele RiP
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 18:57

Just been announced on BBC news that he is now receiving palliative care.

May he be in peace.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63846935

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”

Post Edited (Thu 29 Dec 19:26)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Pele
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 19:12

Thoughts with him and Family .. we all wanted to be Pele when we played

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 20:30

Sad news.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 22:03

It was a thrill to see Pele play at Hampden in a friendly against Scotland in 1966. Back then, and for several decades later, he was acknowledged as the best player in the world. Pele`s skills were unrivalled.

As Busspasspar said, as kids we all wanted to be Pele when we played.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 3 Dec 23:19

Can`t remember where I got the entrance fee Ozpar. Probably from a milk or paper round but I too remember seeing Pele at Hampden in that game. But also saw Eusebio, George Best and Maradona there too.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 00:01

Quote:

Paralex, Sat 3 Dec 23:19

Can`t remember where I got the entrance fee Ozpar. Probably from a milk or paper round but I too remember seeing Pele at Hampden in that game. But also saw Eusebio, George Best and Maradona there too.

Managed to see the game with Pele and older and more wiser Maradona and what a player he was!

Can`t remember Best at Hampden but saw him for Manchester United at Highbury 1969, absolutely ran the game second half in an all star Manchester side.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 09:27

Pele was the undisputed greatest player of all time when I was growing up and that only changed when Diego Maradona almost single handedly dragged an average Argentina to a second WC triumph in 1986. Since then we`ve had folk advancing the claims of the likes of Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo, but none of them have 3 WC winner`s medals.....

It will be a sad day for all football fans when he leaves us, but I look forward to the inevitable plethora of documentaries which have already been prepared for the occasion.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 12:40

Stephen Hendry when he retired said something along the lines of `it`s for other people to decide who the greatest player of all time is. I`m just happy to be considered in that conversation`.
When it comes to debtating the greatest ever footballer it`ll never be answered but Pele will be mentioned.
I do wonder though, and this is something I remember discussing with Sammer on here, how Pele got to be as famed as he did especially in the 1960s? He made his breakthrough in 58 world cup and while he dazzled he wouldn`t have been the star of the tournament. In 1962 he missed most of the tournament after being injured in the second game. Brazil were knocked out of the world cup in 1966 after only three games of which Pele, due to injury again, only played in one. He did scored in 1966 though becoming the first player to score in three world cups.
I guess my point is in a time when even world cups wouldn`t of had the wall to wall live coverage that they do now, the British public and indeed world public would have only had a chance to see Pele play maybe something like half a dozen matches because I doubt his games for Santos were covered outside of Brazil. Even in Brazil I`m thinking other players, Garrincha maybe(?) were more highly rated. Did he benefit form good PR and catchy name for western audiences?
Anyway one of the all time greats and hopefully he`s a peace in his final days. Might even see his nation lift the trophy one more time.

Post Edited (Sun 04 Dec 12:43)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 13:50

I don’t think Pele needed any PR to establish himself as a great footballer: all the evidence was already there at the 1958 World Cup where he scored a hat trick in the semi final and a double in the final itself. Every time he received the ball he looked dangerous for he had mastered the most difficult skill in football: running at cruising speed with the ball so well controlled that defenders simply could not cope. Hit two trademark tricks- the quick feint and the sudden stop to watch defenders stumble past him- were on full show.

There have been attempts to downplay his career in Brazil, to claim he was only tested at regional level, but Sao Paulo was bigger than Scotland and scoring 58 goals in a 30 league season was an astonishing feat for a teenager. Naturally enough the Brazilian media hailed him as a footballing God but European journalists who saw him play against Benfica in the early 1960s were in no doubt they were watching a unique talent.

By the 1970 World Cup most of us could watch him on live TV matches and judge for ourselves. The verdict was unanimous: we all wanted to play like Pele. He was a football natural; according to one Brazilian coach Pele was almost unbeatable when he played in goals during training.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 18:19

It was reported that he was in good spirits despite his grave condition and was keeping his pecker up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 19:51

Quote:

Par, Sun 4 Dec 18:19

It was reported that he was in good spirits despite his grave condition and was keeping his pecker up.

New levels of bad taste right there

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 20:09

Quote:

Par, Sun 4 Dec 18:19

That`s an awful attempt at humour

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 4 Dec 21:54

Back in the Sixties, when a couple of kids got together with a football, inevitably one lad would say to the other... "Okay, you be Scotland and I`ll be Brazil".

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: mikeod  
Date:   Tue 6 Dec 09:23

Lochgelly Albert - Arsenal 2- 2 Man Utd at Highbury in 1969 with George "Stroller" Graham scoring for Gunners. I was in the Clock end for this game!

Post Edited (Tue 06 Dec 09:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Dec 09:38

Quote:

mikeod, Tue 6 Dec 09:23

Lochgelly Albert - Arsenal 2- 2 Man Utd at Highbury in 1969 with George "Stroller" Graham scoring for Gunners. I was in the Clock end for this game!

Was it not John Sammels scoring at Clock End, hit it from just over the halfway line, never went higher than 4 feet?

I`ve still got the programme!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Dec 09:55

"Was it not John Sammels scoring at Clock End, hit it from just over the halfway line, never went higher than 4 feet?

I`ve still got the programme!"

Sammeis also scored but can`t remember the scoring sequence. I have a load of programmes in the garage - not sure if I`ve still got that one.

My last year in London, I watched all Arsenal home games when they won the league and also the Ray Kennedy clincher at White Hart Lane.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Dec 10:40

Was up the North Bank with my cousins and pals that game along with Spurs match midweek, time of the skinheads, it was like world war 3!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 6 Dec 11:11

I left work in West London at 4pm to get to Spurs game. My abiding memory was the crush at the turnstiles getting in - nearly gave up. Glad that I didn`t!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LiviPar  
Date:   Thu 8 Dec 23:38

Lets not forget his overhead kick against the germans whilst having bruised/cracked ribs. All during a world war too. A class act 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 9 Dec 07:18

Quote:

LiviPar, Thu 8 Dec 23:38

Lets not forget his overhead kick against the germans whilst having bruised/cracked ribs. All during a world war too. A class act 😂

Funnily enough Pele was one of the few players of his generation, who refused point blank to play with painkilling injections. "I need to know what damage I`m doing to my body if I`m carrying an injury", he once said in a TV interview.

Santos played lots of exhibition games at that time and Pele was the star attraction - the match fee was considerably less if he didn`t play.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Dec 12:42

“Pele is obviously infantile. He lacks the necessary fighting spirit. He is too young to feel aggression and respond with appropriate force. In addition to that, he does not possess the sense of responsibility necessary for a team game.’’

A harsh judgment from the mouth of Brazil’s psychological advisor in 1958 who advised against Pele being included in the squad. But there might be a glimmer of truth in there. Pablo Picasso once remarked: ‘It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.’ Pele was so good he just played playground football against the best in the world.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 19:08

Died today aged 82

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 19:18

Sad news.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 19:26

So Sad another great gone .. RIP Edson Arantes do Nascimento

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 19:27

It was a bewildering moment from Brazil’s opening game in the 1970 Mexico World Cup. Pele, under no pressure inside his own centre circle, had just whacked the ball aimlessly into the opposition half. The TV commentator said nothing. I assumed play had been pulled up and that Pele had acted out of frustration. Then came the slow motion replay and an astonishing revelation: Pele had taken on the Czech goalkeeper from 60 yards, cleared him, and missed the corner of the goal by no more than a foot. He’d done this with a leather polka dot ball struck clean off the ground, without any hint of his intention. It was barely credible. Nor was this some fancy piece of showmanship late in a game already won: it came during the first half with scores level at 1-1. He was disappointed not to score.

Pele’s greatest gift to the football world was letting his imagination run wild. The famous leap that brought the Banks’ save; the first time volley from 35 yards when he anticipated a Uruguay bye kick; the sublime dummy which had the same keeper pawing the ground and looking the wrong way. Every game Pele played he produced something different, something that no other player had till then thought possible. He was, and remains, unique.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jacko Par42  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 19:27

Another football legend gone. RIP Pele 😔⚽️

[IP address logged]
 Re: Pele RiP
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 19:40

Pele played in, and indeed won the World Cup in 1958 - that’s the year in which I was born. Growing up in the ‘60s with no social media or mobile phones and certainly no Sky Sports, Pele was still a legend to kids of my generation - his passing marks the loss of a part of my childhood. As boys we would argue over who got to be Pele - it mattered to us!
It is thus with real sadness that I heard today’s news. Goodbye Pele and thank you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 20:19

Absolute pioneer of our game, hopefully remembered fondly for all generations of football fans to come.

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/12099928
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 20:20

Very sad news. The greatest footballer to ever play the game, and the greatest sportsman of all time too. What an amazing life he led, he did more for the sport than anyone. A master artist in the beautiful game.

Mind when The Pars asked him to sign for us? George Farm met him on a plane and offered him the chance to test himself against Europe`s elite for 25 quid a week.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 20:29

Sammer, I remember that shot by Pele he was so close. RIP Pele you were a true hero to my generation.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsweep  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 22:08

Thanks Pele .
R.I.P.

Bobvo
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 23:14

Another great gone.

As a young lad, I always pretended to be Pele. Nobody was fooled, however

RIP Pele.

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 30 Dec 16:05

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UzRsvCsC4c

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Fri 30 Dec 16:14

The footage that I saw earlier showing him (before) doing all the skills that others got credit for (like the Cruyff turn) was quite remarkable. Nearly as surprising the pictures of him in Troon in 1966!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net