DAFC.net
Home 28 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Niall Mcginn
Topic Originator: kba  
Date:   Wed 28 Dec 20:27

Anybody heard anything about him signing for us in Jan??
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Niall Mcginn
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Wed 28 Dec 20:40

Not happening. Likely going back over to Ireland / NI.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Wed 28 Dec 20:51

todays Daily Record transfer blog...

Glentoran want Northern Irish international Niall McGinn.

The Belfast side are keen to land the Dundee winger in the January window.

Manager Mick McDermott wants to persuade the veteran to return to Northern Ireland. The Glens, however, will face growing competition from within Scotland where the likes of Morton and Dunfermline are watching the situation closely.

McGinn has gone into the last six months of his contract and Dundee are unlikely to stand in his way because he has fallen out of the picture under Gary Bowyer.

Glentoran are also ready to give former Aberdeen star McGinn the chance to start coaching in a bid if that could help them swing the deal.

The 35-year-old has made it clear that he wants to continue playing and to keep representing Northern Ireland for as long as he possibly can.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 28 Dec 21:44

It is a no for me but if our very astute manager thinks that he can improve us then it is a Yes.

It is similar to the summer. Trying to attract a player to the third tier of Scottish football ain’t easy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Wed 28 Dec 23:29

Quote:

desparado, Wed 28 Dec 21:44

It is a no for me but if our very astute manager thinks that he can improve us then it is a Yes.

It is similar to the summer. Trying to attract a player to the third tier of Scottish football ain’t easy.

The benefit we have now is that, given league position, players might be willing to spend 6 months in this league with a view to establishing a place in the team in the Championship.

Obviously no guarantee we`ll go up, but we`re in a good position and that might make it slightly easier to convince players.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 08:07

Would rather we went for Alfie Ageyman from Kelty. Connor Shields not getting a game either.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 10:14

Do we really need a striker at this stage? We`ve just successfully come through a period where we had only two available and with a bit of luck we could have four to choose from for the rest of the season. Connor Shields played for Motherwell last night by the way.

I think the January transfer window is always a bit of a gamble and is mainly for those clubs who are desperately trying to avoid relegation, like us last year, or on the fringes of the promotion contest. What`s the point of spending money you don`t need to, which might be more valuable as part of next season`s budget?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 10:26

I think he`s been a winger previously?
At 35 I have no idea how effective he`d be out wide, haven`t seen him play for ages. Trust McPake`s judgment either way.

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/12099928
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 10:36

I was referring to GG4`s post. Niall McGinn is indeed a winger and, if we are going to add to the squad, that is probably the area that needs improvement. McPake must know his capabilities, commitment, fitness etc from his time at Dundee.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 10:40

Got it. Aye I don`t see a striker being a priority either. Let`s get the best out of Wighton, he`s one of the best players in this league.

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 11:48

Agyeman`s more a winger and Shields more a no 10. Neither are strikers.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 17:44

wouldnt class Agyeman as a winger and definitely not Shields as a number 10.

"What`s the point of spending money you don`t need to, which might be more valuable as part of next season`s budget?"

not saying McGinn would be one but they will be looking at signings for next season and beyond, it wont only be about the rest of this season and that would go for any position.

Post Edited (Thu 29 Dec 17:46)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 18:19

Would rather we had Agyeman as well. He`s one of the few players I`ve seen this season that could easily make the step up to the championship. He`s young and could definitely improve with the right coaching.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 18:39

Agyeman has impressed me when we’ve played Kelty. Would be happy to sign him. Not convinced January’s the best time to make the switch from PT to FT though. That being said, I’m also not convinced a player lacking game time will be ready to hit the ground running.

At the end of the day, McPake clearly knows a lot better than me and I’ll get behind him and any signings that we make this window.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 19:06

You can`t really plan for next season when you don`t know for sure what league you`ll be in and potential signings will be thinking the same. There are also a lot of players whose contracts expire at the end of this season. The manager may want to keep some but they may want to move on which has a knock-on effect on recruitment of new players.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 20:00

At the moment the top scorer at the club with five goals (Todorov) has 18 players above him in our league’s scoring chart !
Just imagine where we’d be with a striker that scores goals!

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Dec 20:18

Wighton will be double figures by March.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 12:15

an "improved" offer made for McGinn according to the Courier

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/4039219/exclusive-dunfermline-bid-to-gazump-glentoran-with-improved-offer-for-dundee-forward-niall-mcginn/

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 12:30

has now left Dundee by mutual consent....

and signed for Glentoran...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/irish-league/glentoran/glentoran-seal-deal-for-northern-ireland-international-niall-mcginn-42272356.html

Post Edited (Mon 09 Jan 12:32)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 12:49

Was always going to happen. Presumably has family over there so likely makes more sense given this could be his last professional contract.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 15:52

Quote:

dover par, Thu 29 Dec 20:00

At the moment the top scorer at the club with five goals (Todorov) has 18 players above him in our league’s scoring chart !
Just imagine where we’d be with a striker that scores goals!

Aye we would still be top of the league and x amount of points clear of Edinburgh and Falkirk like has already been pointed out to you where will we or in fact any club for that matter find a 20 goals + striker in January? Still waiting for an answer from you on that one but I suspect you know as well as I do that there isn’t a striker like that to be had

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SevenTay  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 16:22

Wighton and Todorov are both on 5 league goals now and Wighton has 2 assists.

Counting cup games as well, Wighton and Todorov are on 8 and McCann and Todd on 6 each. O`Hara has yet to score.

McCann was the lone striker for a lot of games at the start of the season with O`Hara and Wighton playing on the wings.

McCann, Wighton and O`Hara have also all been out injured (Wighton has scored 8 goais in 14 games since recovering from the issues with his knees).

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net