DAFC.net
Home 28 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 A great three points
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 19:43

Whatever way we achieved it, getting three points today from a team that was two nil down away from home to Airdrie last week and managed to win 5-3, is a brilliant result. Edinburgh have proven to be a thorn in the flesh to all of the other teams in this league and it looks like they will continue to be so. A draw would have been a good result but getting the win is fantastic. Our away form continues to be incredible.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: A great three points
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 20:00

There`s a reason we don`t concede many goals. We are very well organised and players continually put their bodies on the line to defend our goal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 20:01

From the three games we have played them I`m surprised they are second and scoring so many goals. Barely laid a glove on us the three games.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 20:29

Quote:

Ladswell_Thistle, Sat 7 Jan 20:01

From the three games we have played them I`m surprised they are second and scoring so many goals. Barely laid a glove on us the three games.

Neither has anyone else.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 20:36

Apart from Montrose Parrot 🦜 and Peterhead might be losing every week but after our last game at EEP against them we have to be on our toes next week.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 21:29

Our away record and the number of clean sheets is incredible. A credit to both the players and the management team.

http://www.agiftfor.net
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 21:52

We are doing well but do not score enough goals for a team in our position, that is fact.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 21:56

We’re top of the league, we’re clearly are scoring enough goals. It may not be as high as normal for 1st place but with our incredible defensive record we don’t need to be scoring 3-4 to win.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 23:10

Yes we should have won handsomely today with the amount of chances we had but the bottom line is its another three points towards the Championship well done team COYP

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Thursopar  
Date:   Sat 7 Jan 23:59

What’s the chant down south - 1-0 to the Arsenal? Doesn’t matter how many we score as long as it’s one more than the opposition

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Sun 8 Jan 09:16

Thurso- that`s exactly the thought I had about the arsenal song

Problem is can`t think how we`d rhyme with nil? 🤔
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Sun 8 Jan 09:42

Quote:

Pars11, Sat 7 Jan 21:52

We are doing well but do not score enough goals for a team in our position, that is fact.

It could be argued due to how little we concede we are scoring exactly enough goals,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Sun 8 Jan 10:46

Depends what you define as enough.

It would be nice to score more goals and to be more comfortable, I`m sure everyone would like that.

However to points you either needs to score as many goals, or ideally, one more goal than the opposition.

For this stage in the season we have scored enough goals, because the league table says we have done that better than everyone else in the division.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Sun 8 Jan 10:55

Quote:

weemike, Sun 8 Jan 09:42

Quote:

It could be argued due to how little we concede we are scoring exactly enough goals,

Thats simply not true. Another 4 or 5 goals across a number of games this season (let`s say to turn just 4 of those dodgy draws into wins) and the league would be over.

Our lack of creativity has just made things harder than they needed to be.

Our defensive stats are remarkable though and well deserved.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sun 8 Jan 15:04

Topic Originator: weemike like
Date: Sun 8 Jan 09:42

Quote:

We will get caught out if we do not convert our chances into more goals. At Montrose they wore us down and took advantage for a poor win, we never really got off the ground that day. Be interesting to see how Dundee line up against us, high press from them may expose our weakness.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 09:18

Quote:

EastEndBoy, Sun 8 Jan 10:55

Quote:

Quote:

Thats simply not true. Another 4 or 5 goals across a number of games this season (let`s say to turn just 4 of those dodgy draws into wins) and the league would be over.

It wasn’t a lack of creativity that saw us implode in the last 5 mins at home to Peterhead, or that saw us draw at home to Clyde. In fact, I wouldn’t even blame a lack of creativity for our lack of goals. We struggle to take our chances, rather than struggle to create them. Certainly wasn’t a lack of creativity on Saturday, when we could/should have been 4 up after half an hour.

I also don’t know how it’s “simply not true” that we are scoring enough goals, given the aim is to win the league and we’re currently 4 points clear. We’re on track to achieve our target. So, as it stands, we are doing enough.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 11:38

Milan won Serie A is 1994. They scored 36 goals in 34 games...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: p4r5f4n  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 12:01

In the days of two points for a win, one for a draw, Jock Stein’s mantra was “Win at home, draw away.” It’s not the goals that count, it’s the result.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 12:19

I meant to write this on Saturday but when there was a throw in and McDonald was slow to react to the attacking presence, Benedictus let him know in no uncertain terms that the marking was not what he expects.
It was good communication from central defence as they see more of the game.
This is all likelihood is why we are not conceding as many goals.

It was useful to be closer to the play as you can hear the players shouts as opposed to real football grounds where there is more atmosphere drowning the players shouts out.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 03:10

It`s more important to be able to win tight games consistently. I`d take the wins over the goals any day. You sometimes see a team that wins a number of games by large margins not being able to manage the tight game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 07:41

Quote:

USMac, Tue 10 Jan 03:10

It`s more important to be able to win tight games consistently. I`d take the wins over the goals any day. You sometimes see a team that wins a number of games by large margins not being able to manage the tight game.

Great point.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 08:12

I think anyone would take and enjoy watching free scoring team after all that is the aim of the game,

At the start of the season all I wanted was the team to be competing for the top spots in the league. As long as the keep this form up I will be extremely happy.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 08:48

Agreed it would be nice to get some goals & comfortable wins but tbh I`d take ANY win in any game (not just this season!)

It took us 3 or 4 years to get out of this league last time so to be top, with the added bonus of a small gap then that`s fine by me!

Keep winning the important games like Saturday`s, and we`ll not be far away from going straight back up 👏🏼👏🏼

COME ON YE PARS!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndBoy  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 14:21

Quote:

par-91, Mon 9 Jan 09:18

Quote:

EastEndBoy, Sun 8 Jan 10:55

Quote:

Quote:

It wasn’t a lack of creativity that saw us implode in the last 5 mins at home to Peterhead, or that saw us draw at home to Clyde. In fact, I wouldn’t even blame a lack of creativity for our lack of goals. We struggle to take our chances, rather than struggle to create them. Certainly wasn’t a lack of creativity on Saturday, when we could/should have been 4 up after half an hour.

I also don’t know how it’s “simply not true” that we are scoring enough goals, given the aim is to win the league and we’re currently 4 points clear. We’re on track to achieve our target. So, as it stands, we are doing enough.

You`re right. Creativity is the wrong word in this context, but there have been games when we`ve been sluggish and struggled with that too.

The point still stands. It really wouldn`t have taken many more goals to have us 12-16 points ahead with the two games in hand. That`s the only disappointing aspect of what has otherwise been a very good season so far.

...ken?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 15:22

If Higgy scores from point blank range at the end of the game at EEP, if Todd`s cross doesn`t find the net against Alloa, if Edinburgh scored their chance late on last Saturday, if Edinburgh don`t score a last minute own goal in the home game...

There`s 8 points for starters. Works both ways.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 15:34

Indeed, and claiming a few extra goals would see us much further ahead applies only if the extra goals came in the games we`ve drawn. But if you go that way, it wouldn`t have taken many more goals conceded in games that we`ve won by a single goal to see us 10 points further back.

To me, it`s all part of the same thing and I get frustrated when people look at stats and try to say that we need to be better in defence because we`ve scored plenty but conceded plenty, or need to be better in attack because it`s the other way round - as if the two are completely separate and a change in one aspect wouldn`t impact on the other.

We`ve done well to win as many of the tight games as we have. The concern is always that a few games will eventually go against us while there isn`t that much between the teams, and that usually a title-winning team needs a mixture of winning tight games and winning comfortably. Really, only the first game at Meadowbank was entirely comfortable, with Peterhead away pretty straightforward as well. However, a team that routinely wins narrowly probably ahs a better chance than one that scores a lot of goals but is wildly unpredictable, as Airdrie have been this year.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 15:53

When we open the scoring, we are - I think - 10 wins and 2 draws from 12 games.

Of those 10 wins, we`ve won 5 of them 1-0 and kept a clean sheet in 9 of them.

Maybe shows where the priority is for McPake?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 16:52

It`s certainly a different kind of season from the last time we won League 1 and were scoring goals for fun but losing a few as well. (Overall goal difference was 83-30). After last season I`ll take any kind of success though and I think our run has lasted long enough now to suggest these relatively narrow wins are not down to `luck`. Maybe somebody could ask JMcP at the Supporters` Meeting what his plan was at the start of the season assuming the target was to get promoted, preferably as champions.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 16:56

Indeed, losing 11 league goals and keeping 11 clean sheet in 19 games isn`t down to luck.

Where we have been fortunate is that Benedictus, Edwards and Mehmet have been available for all of the games - or very nearly all of them.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net