DAFC.net
Home 27 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Roberto Martinez
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 12:39

Appointed head coach of Portugal.Seems a likeable enough guy but I`m not sure how he keeps getting these high-profile jobs?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Roberto Martinez
Topic Originator: aaaaaaaaaargh  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 13:25

I suppose its because he isn`t a bad manager. I think he did a good job with a difficult bunch in Belgium. It is difficult to manage world class players who only turn up when they feel like it.

These jobs might seem high-profile, but they are at best the equivalent of a low mid-table premier league side in terms of wages.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 14:15

Quote:

aaaaaaaaaargh, Mon 9 Jan 13:25

I suppose its because he isn`t a bad manager. I think he did a good job with a difficult bunch in Belgium. It is difficult to manage world class players who only turn up when they feel like it.

These jobs might seem high-profile, but they are at best the equivalent of a low mid-table premier league side in terms of wages.

Fair enough.Sure its difficult to ` manage world class players who only turn up when they feel like it` but that was literally his job. His task at Portugal will be pretty much the same?
Their one win against Canada at the World Cup was extremely fortunate imo.They then drew blanks against Morocco and Croatia.For them to score once, it was severely underachieving imo.
They also lost to Egypt, drew with Republic of Ireland and Wales (twice)in the last year or so-I just thought they should have done much better than that?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 14:57

Quote:

parathletic, Mon 9 Jan 12:39

Appointed head coach of Portugal.Seems a likeable enough guy but I`m not sure how he keeps getting these high-profile jobs?

Maybe he`s a better manager than you give him credit for? I saw a documentary about him a few months back and he prepares every detail meticulously. His CV is not too shabby either. Perhaps your doubts about him are based on the fact that the "golden generation" of Belgium players have failed to win a trophy.

It may be that the failure of the likes of KDB to reproduce his club form for his country was the manager`s fault but maybe not. Kenny Dalglish was a great player for Celtic and Liverpool, but he rarely shone for Scotland, in spite of amassing over 100 caps. The one time I think he deserves criticism was in the WC semi-final defeat to France in 2018. His team was far too cautious, showing France too much respect and when they lost the opening goal the eventual world champions managed the game extremely well.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 15:20

Like I say decent enough guy but I just think he struggles to put out a balanced side.He did win the cup for Wigan which was obviously a good achievement but he also got them relegated after 8 years in the PL.(They conceded 73 goals)They went into freefall after that but can`t really blame him for that.Steve Bruce also took Wigan to a final I think?
He spent a lot of money at Everton with very little success although he wouldn`t be the only one there.
Whilst I wasn`t expecting Belgium to win the World Cup I think even he would admit they under performed and offered very little going forward.
I saw the Fort William documentary and I know he used their ex-manager as a scout but would be interested to see the documentary on him.Like to see the good guys doing well so would be happy to be proved wrong.

I was too young to see Dalglish playing for Scotland but we would take anyone to get 30 goals for us these days😀

Post Edited (Mon 09 Jan 15:22)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 16:36

Just checked, parathletic. The documentary is free on YouTube.

Roberto Martinez - Whistle to Whistle.

Well worth watching. He is a good guy and a decent manager, I believe. Lots of good managers out there who don`t get that wee bit of luck that`s always needed to win trophies.

Winning the FA Cup with Wigan is some achievement. Perhaps on a par with Leicester winning the EPL under Claudio Ranieri?

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 9 Jan 16:57

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 9 Jan 16:36

Just checked, parathletic. The documentary is free on YouTube.

Roberto Martinez - Whistle to Whistle.

Well worth watching. He is a good guy and a decent manager, I believe. Lots of good managers out there who don`t get that wee bit of luck that`s always needed to win trophies.

Winning the FA Cup with Wigan is some achievement. Perhaps on a par with Leicester winning the EPL under Claudio Ranieri?

Thanks appreciate that.I will check it out👍 I had a flat-mate who was an Everton fan that moaned about him so perhaps I let that sway my judgement.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net