DAFC.net
Home 28 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Player interviews
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 01:48

In the midst of the nightmare that was the period when Peter Grant was Pars manager, Josh Edwards was pulled out to be interviewed after another disappointing result. It was quite concerning to witness the obvious anguish the young lad was going through and predictably, the distracted Josh responded to questions from Burty with flat, monosyllabic answers.

This seemed to be a common theme among Pars players during the Grant and Hughes periods. Rarely did one get anything more than a tightly scripted, thoroughly predictable response from players.

Compare and contrast with these interviews now. Josh, for example, confidently strides through them, expressing himself well in a pleasant manner. And players are far more open about tactics and the team`s approach, their particular role and the role of those around them. That makes for an interesting and sometimes enlightening interview.

It was watching the latest one with Craig Wighton, previewing the Dundee game, that prompted me to write this post.

Craig used to be a terrible mumbler and there were times when I struggled a bit to catch everything that he was saying. Now, he is articulate, expressive and thoroughly engaging when talking about games. He makes it a very interesting interview.

Clearly, being on a winning side does add to confidence, but I sense other influences at play.

Management will certainly be part of it, for sure. McPake is a boss who both talks the talk and walks the walk. Importantly, unlike his two predecessors, he is not driven by his ego.

Dave Mackay, his assistant, is another high achiever who apparently is very well thought of by the players, and Greg Shields has a fine record training the youngsters who are coming through the ranks. That`s is as good a core management team as we have had in 20 years.

On the field, we have strong leadership from Kyle Benedictus, sound experience from players like Wighton, Chalmers, Mehmet and Toderov, and several young players who clearly have a future in the game, like Edwards, Todd, MacDonald, Breen, Hamilton and McCann.

You can see from the way our players respond in interviews that, as a group, they are comfortable with each other and enjoy being part of this team.

You might just summarise this as the "feel good factor"... and that usually culminates in success.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Player interviews
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 02:58

I think good morale adds 20% to your game. It breeds cibfidence and resilience. A good squad of players becomes more than the sum of its parts. Its not always tge best players make the best team. It is more nuanced than that. I think we have a good squad and I for one think that the squad we have will win us the league. I wouldnt compare players performance in the championship last year with this irrespective of the fact we are in league 1. Indeed i think more of them for staying and trying to get the team back up. That says alot.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PAR57  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 07:37

I agree totally with both India an Oz PAR......
Confidence is back in the squad......this mental attitude will allow
all these youngsters to mature.....unfortunately for us a few of them will move on......
I have absolutely no fear whatsoever if we are promoted after this season
I expect a playoff position at the end of the season.....you can have all the talent in the world.....but if you lose a bit of confidence after a few defeats
It`s a downward spiral.......BUT with our present management team, I don`t think they would let things fester for too long.....
SO to end my ramble......I am sure our present squad can handle the likes of Morton, Partick, Ayr etc etc and become established in the Premier
After all we are the PARS.....with our crowds etc etc better than, Livvy, St Mirren, Ross County etc etc.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 08:08

What a good, thoughtful and insightful post, Oz. 🙂

I agree with all of the deductions you have arrived at. There`s no doubt that good interviews are much harder for players to give when the team is performing poorly and losing games and vice versa. You can also factor in that players like Josh Edwards are now a bit older and more experienced.

I`ve been privileged to meet and work with most of our current squad during our visits to local schools and every one of them has made an excellent contribution. There`s no doubt in my mind that any nerves they might have about public speaking (and if you`ve never done it, it is very scary) are dissipated by the fact that the Pars are winning games and sitting proudly at the top of the table. It`s quite remarkable how confident and articulate the players are, more especially the younger ones like Mochrie, McCann, and Todd.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: New Model Army  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 00:05

I agree. A great post. And the squad we have are genuinely good guys. They care. They hurt when we lose. And they get on as a squad. The senior leadership team among the the players is Kyle B, Chris H and Craig W. The most engaging team member is Matty Todd. But none of them has let us down this year. This is the most committed squad I have seen in a long time, so the management team need to be praised too; they have told us what they wanted - 100% effort - and that has been delivered. Yes, some of the home games have been hard to watch but teams set out to frustrate us. We are going back up. The Babies are going nowhere. I am loving this season.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Digs  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 11:30

It`s not just interviews and I`ve been saying this for years. Every time we go through a tough spell the usual cliches of `tHeY`rE nOt tRyiNg` or `tHeY arEN`t fIt eNOuGh` get trotted out.

This is of course, nonsense. When you are struggling, at the bottom of the table can`t buy a win for love nor money, it is the single hardest thing in football to turn around. You subconsciously have doubts of confidence in your own ability, your team mates ability and the teams collectively, even if you are trying to implement a positive mindset and so implementing the fixes to turn it round are even harder.

The body language that makes people who have never been in that situation believe in the cliches above are no different to what the OP describes above. Players are human beings and as such will be affected by their environment.

Stair Maistreas na Beatha
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AlterPar  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 11:45

Quote:

Digs, Fri 13 Jan 11:30

It`s not just interviews and I`ve been saying this for years. Every time we go through a tough spell the usual cliches of `tHeY`rE nOt tRyiNg` or `tHeY arEN`t fIt eNOuGh` get trotted out.

This is of course, nonsense. When you are struggling, at the bottom of the table can`t buy a win for love nor money, it is the single hardest thing in football to turn around. You subconsciously have doubts of confidence in your own ability, your team mates ability and the teams collectively, even if you are trying to implement a positive mindset and so implementing the fixes to turn it round are even harder.

The body language that makes people who have never been in that situation believe in the cliches above are no different to what the OP describes above. Players are human beings and as such will be affected by their environment.

This 100%. It’s extremely annoying reading some of the garbage on here through tough spells. We would all support our loved ones through tough times, why is this any different?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 12:39

Without a doubt there WERE players in previous seasons who weren`t trying as hard as they could have and perhaps didn`t care, but they were very few and far between. Football forums are difficult places (hats off to the admin!) as emotions ride high at times and people will post things they don`t really mean.

I think we`ve got a good, solid team right now. My only concern is losing some of the loanees. In an ideal world we`d sign them or be looking for comparable permanent replacements. It`s not easy though.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: gthyde  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 12:46

Quote:

jake89, Fri 13 Jan 12:39

Without a doubt there WERE players in previous seasons who weren`t trying as hard as they could have and perhaps didn`t care, but they were very few and far between. Football forums are difficult places (hats off to the admin!) as emotions ride high at times and people will post things they don`t really mean.

I think we`ve got a good, solid team right now. My only concern is losing some of the loanees. In an ideal world we`d sign them or be looking for comparable permanent replacements. It`s not easy though.

Out of the loanees, Mochrie and Hosler have extended to end of season, and Fisher was to end of season anyway I believe? Only other one is Mahon who hasn’t really featured
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 13:30

The team I most enjoy watching just now is Arsenal. The reason for their present success isn`t by having a team of outstanding individuals, although they do have one or two. It`s the way they pass the ball about in quick one touch movements as if they have a telepathic understanding of the space their teammate is going to move into.

We haven`t quite reached that standard of excellence at EEP yet but for the level we are playing at our movement of the ball between players is better than most. The one aspect that seems to frustrate fans is the conversion percentage of good chances created.

The game has changed over the last few decades due to the generally good condition of grass pitches, particularly in the English Premiership and the introduction of plastic pitches elsewhere. I was watching some footage of Derby County and Nottingham Forest games in the Brian Clough era and due to the pitches in midwinter being mud heaps, Arsenal style football would have been impossible.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 14:04

I don`t think the present team gets enough credit for its passing and movement. It stems from the back with everyone being `comfortable on the ball` and looking to make a pass rather than launch the ball hopefully downfield. Mehmet is always alert to opportunities to get things started as evidenced by last week`s goal and generally he is a good distributor.

Once the fans get used to good possession and a reasonable number of chances being created the focus inevitably turns to the rate of conversion which can always be improved of course but I`m always happier when we`re making chances and missing them rather than not making many at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 14:38

Quote:

gthyde, Fri 13 Jan 12:46

Quote:

jake89, Fri 13 Jan 12:39

Out of the loanees, Mochrie and Hosler have extended to end of season, and Fisher was to end of season anyway I believe? Only other one is Mahon who hasn’t really featured

I`m meaning for next season and the future in general. I think one of the contributing factors to us being where we are has been squad turnover resulting in players having to start over in terms of understanding how to work together to win.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 21:38

Given the original post, it was a timely coincidence that Josh Edwards was picked out as the latest team spokesman. Apart from having trouble gaining control of his hair in the wind, he came across as comfortable and confident. And those closing words, said with conviction...

"There`s a great spirit about the boys. We`re loving life the now, and long may it continue..."

That is precisely what you want to hear one of your players say.

Post Edited (Sun 15 Jan 21:39)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net