DAFC.net
Home 27 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Match Thread -Dundee v Pars
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 18:59

Has anyone got a team sheet?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Match Thread -Dundee v Pars
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:00

Postponed
[IP address logged]

Damn... that`s short notice.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Football_Par  

We tweeted the team then deleted it and now the games off, very weird

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:04

Waterlogged pitch per COWS; and folk said we were a shambles on 2 January! Nobody`s told the BBC!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:04

So that is three postponed matches that we have to reschedule now.

Hmmm...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:33

What was the team?

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SevenTay  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:13

Team was...

Mehmet
Comrie
Benedictus
Hamilton
Macdonald
Chalmers
Todd
Edwards
O`Hara
Wighton
McCann

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:18

Quote:

SevenTay, Tue 10 Jan 20:13

Team was...

Mehmet
Comrie
Benedictus
Hamilton
Macdonald
Chalmers
Todd
Edwards
O`Hara
Wighton
McCann

You`re jesting, thats probably the best side we could have put out. Should have been resting some of the first team for this Diddy Cup
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SevenTay  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:25

Not jesting red-star-par.

Somebody took a screenshot of the Twitter post before it was removed and posted it on the East End Bounce forum if you want to check it out.

I took a screenshot of that but don`t know how to post it on here.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:40

Given that all the loanees were cup tied , Breen out sick and Allan out long term that leaves Todorov and five or six 16:17 year olds. It doesnt leave much choice !

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parsfangaz  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:53

Quote:

red-star-par, Tue 10 Jan 20:18

Quote:

SevenTay, Tue 10 Jan 20:13

Team was...

Mehmet
Comrie
Benedictus
Hamilton
Macdonald
Chalmers
Todd
Edwards
O`Hara
Wighton
McCann

You`re jesting, thats probably the best side we could have put out. Should have been resting some of the first team for this Diddy Cup

diddae cup if you don’t go to games home and away and support your team
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 21:37

On the other side of the draw

Hamilton 3-2 Clyde FT

QotS 0-0 Kelly going to pens

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1970par  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 21:56

Dundee would have fielded a team that would have consisted of some fringe players etc, I’m sure they would also have loan players who were not clear play

Although it’s totally irrelevant I think we had a strong line up and had a reasonable chance should the game have gone ahead

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 22:36

I was on the Pars at 4/1. Certain we won`t get 4/1 when it`s played. Bookies alerted

It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 00:51

It was a no brainer that James McPake would opt to play the strongest side available to him.

The Pars were playing his old team and he had a point to make. There were no loanees available, cutting his options with such a small squad, and the match was on TV; the last thing he would want would be a very public hammering from the team that sacked him.

And for the umpteenth time, I shake my head when the subject of the "Diddy Cup" comes up. At our current level, this is our only realistic hope of winning a national cup. And as a League One team, it would normally be considered quite an achievement to pick up this trophy ahead of all the clubs in the Championship.

This is about perspective. If you are a Pars supporter, you haven`t had a lot to cheer about these past 50 years. Yes, there have been the intermittent lower league titles, but it`s fair to say that DAFC is not a comfortable destination for the glory hunter.

The collection of oldies on here who have distant memories of the so-called "Glory Days" is dwindling with the passing of time. I witnessed about half of those days, seeing my first Pars game in 1965. But I only saw us win the Scottish Cup once and I was 13 years old at the time.

Please don`t use the term "Diddy Cup". All you are doing is attempting to diminish the achievements of our team and insulting fellow Pars fans who only wish their team success in everything they compete in.

It does raise the question as to whether you really are a Pars fan at all, or just another glory hunter who took a wrong turn on his way to Glasgow...

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 01:38

I don`t think it matters what the game means. The objective should be to go out and try to win every game. It should be the culture within the club and sends the right message. We have a good squad of players who will win this league for us so why not try and win this cup too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 05:11

Ask the players and they will tell you if it is a diddy cup or not. I suspect you will get the answer that they want to win this cup. As any player does as winning a cup is something to treasure. Just ask the lads that won the Under 18 diddy cup.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 06:48

Quote:

parsmad68, Wed 11 Jan 05:11

Ask the players and they will tell you if it is a diddy cup or not. I suspect you will get the answer that they want to win this cup. As any player does as winning a cup is something to treasure. Just ask the lads that won the Under 18 diddy cup.

Players will have different names for it, see below for what a lower league player called it.

Click here

For me? Diddy cup. Its got B teams, the vast, vast, vast majority of teams quite rightly don`t take it seriously and bang out reserve and youth sides, and the attendances speak for themselves.

B teams FFS. I`d be far happier if they just scraped it.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 07:38

Quote:

Grant, Wed 11 Jan 06:48

Quote:

Players will have different names for it, see below for what a lower league player called it.

Click here

For me? Diddy cup. Its got B teams, the vast, vast, vast majority of teams quite rightly don`t take it seriously and bang out reserve and youth sides, and the attendances speak for themselves.

Well right now we can`t scrap it. It`s lowest on the list of priorities but I just want to see us win every game .

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/12099928
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 08:01

Quote:

Quote:

Click here

Hello Grant from the current Kilmarnock manager. Not everyone thinks alike. Winning a trophy for players who are never likely to win anything is important whether we like it or not.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/ayrshire/derek-mcinnes-opens-up-personal-26357873
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gthyde  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 08:24

How many of us have seen us win a cup (except the Fife cup!)??? I’ve saw league wins but never a cup win. We’re not going to win the Scottish or league cup anytime soon so I’d love us to win this. Diddy cup??? Maybe it can be called that but we are a diddy club after all who deserve to be playing in it these days!!!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 08:50

Quote:

OzPar, Wed 11 Jan 00:51

And for the umpteenth time, I shake my head when the subject of the "Diddy Cup" comes up. At our current level, this is our only realistic hope of winning a national cup.

A ‘national cup’ would not exclude clubs in the top flight. It’s a trophy we’re competing for though and it’s a trophy that McPake and a few players have stated that we want to win. We’re taking it seriously. But it’s definitely not a national cup. Any competition that includes B teams rather than the top teams in the country cannot and will not be considered a national cup competition.

I agree with the majority of your post. We should take this seriously and have stated that it’s our intention to do so. But we will only prioritise it as long as it doesn’t interfere with/adversely impact our higher priorities. In terms of prioritising competitions, the league comes first, then Scottish cup, then league cup (although we’re now out), then it would be the challenge cup.

It can’t be hard to understand why the competition is classed as the ‘diddy cup’ given the inclusion of B teams and exclusion of top flight teams. Quite rightly, it has never and will never be regarded as a national/major trophy. But that doesn’t mean a third tier team should disregard it as irrelevant. We’ve been in this competition for 15 out of the last 16 seasons for a reason.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 09:03

If the Pars won the Scottish Cup, or even the League Cup, and got relegated, it would be a successful season.

If we win fail to get promoted but win the Challenge Cup, it will be absolutely no consolation.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 10:20

"This is about perspective. If you are a Pars supporter, you haven`t had a lot to cheer about these past 50 years. Yes, there have been the intermittent lower league titles, but it`s fair to say that DAFC is not a comfortable destination for the glory hunter."

And from the same post:

"It does raise the question as to whether you really are a Pars fan at all, or just another glory hunter who took a wrong turn on his way to Glasgow..."

So, no contradiction there...

That last line is just plainly insulting, and insulting towards people who routinely go to watch their team when they can. For some, that will mean the odd home game here and there, for others it will be most games, home and away.

You are entitled to your view on how credible or worthwhile this competition is but making such an insulting comment towards people who do not share your view seems quite wrong to me.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 11:14

Absolutely no contradiction, Socks.

And if you care to read my second last paragraph, you might understand the context of my final paragraph... and the fact that it was an attempt at humour rather than an insult. Clearly, my joke fell flat on you.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 12:09

Well, clearly it did. Even after another read and specifically taking unto account the second-last paragraph (which I happen to think is also rubbish), I still don`t see any humour there. It still reads as quite an insulting comment, but maybe that`s just me.

If people used the term (or generally said they weren`t bothered) only when their side won, then you would have a valid reason for saying it was attempting to diminish whatever achievements. However, if the same people shrug and say `aye, whatever` when we get knocked out, then logically your argument doesn`t work.

If we each just want to have our own view, from opposite sides of the argument, without feeling that others want to sneer at that view, then I think we agree on that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 12:55

I couldn`t really care if fans want to go to these games & cheer the team on. Fair enough. I`m in the "not arsed if we win or lose" camp - although I understand it`s always good to win a game, I just don`t get the same buzz that a league or major cup win brings. Same goes for a challenge cup defeat - I just don`t care. I can`t remember if I have ever been to any challenge cup game.

Ozpars` post fair drags on a bit but I eventually got through it & the last paragraph is probably aimed at fans like myself, personally I couldn`t care what he thinks. It`s my opinion that he is wrong.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 13:29

Re-scheduled for next Tuesday 17th according to DAFC Twitter.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parak obama  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 14:22

Light snow forecast in Dunfermline that day. No snow forecast in Dundee but will be below zero

[IMG]https://share2.co.uk/f/1152_471_P300411_16.49_[02].jpg[/IMG]
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 14:25

It`s clearly not completely binary. I want the Pars to win every game and I`m happy whenever we win. However, I`d enjoy, for example, a win at The Falkirk Stadium in April which seals promotion more than I would a victory in a Tuesday night Challenge Cup match at Dens.

Similarly, I`d look forward to both getting a takeaway curry and going on a date with Margot Robbie. I`d just look forward to one slightly more than the other...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 14:38

I know what you mean, DA-go. I like a chicken buna myself.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 14:43

Quote:

Quote:

Click here

You are bound to get one or two players who will say this. Especially in teams that have no chance of winning it.

I would like to see a poll from all the players and managers involved.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: davie moyes the first  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 20:21

Just for clarity….the Trust Trophy is an international tournament 😉
Don’t believe we’ve won any of those before
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 21:22

We`ve won the Dunfermline Bulding Society cup

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 22:05

Raith in the semis, surely a packed EEP :⁠-⁠)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 22:28

There were 650 at the QP v Raith tie !

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: onandupthepars  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 22:43

Ref: wee eck
Wed 11 Jan 14:38

I know what you mean, DA-go. I like a chicken buna myself.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two white puddin`s for me please.

And BTW, the Pars won my Subbuteo league in 1970. They would`ve won it more but I got fed up playing myself.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 00:02

Quote:

onandupthepars, Wed 11 Jan 22:43

I got fed up playing myself.

Suppose you saved money on glasses though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 00:24

Quote:

wetherby, Wed 11 Jan 22:28

The 3 attendances for the quarter finals were 636, 630 and 602!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 00:34

Quote:

parathletic, Thu 12 Jan 00:24

Quote:

That`s because it`s a Diddy Cup and only a small amount of die hards are interested
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 06:37

Quote:

Quote:

These numbers don`t make good reading. It certainly not worthwhile for these clubs on gate money alone. Do the SPFL put up a substantial amount of prize money? How is it structured?

Am I right in thinking that lower league clubs are not allowed to opt out of this competition? It would be interesting to see how many would take part if it was voluntary.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Thu 12 Jan 06:38)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 07:13

Pretty poor that the rearranged game is not on ALBA. Quite surprised to see that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 07:23

Quote:

Quote:

For a national competition with such significance, wow!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 08:09

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 12 Jan 06:37

Quote:

Quote:

These numbers don`t make good reading. It certainly not worthwhile for these clubs on gate money alone. Do the SPFL put up a substantial amount of prize money? How is it structured?

Am I right in thinking that lower league clubs are not allowed to opt out of this competition? It would be interesting to see how many would take part if it was voluntary.

We forfeited a fixture against Elgin last season, don`t think anything stops that happening again.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 08:11

Quote:

Grant, Thu 12 Jan 07:23

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe we can break the 650 mark that the other games couldn`t reach for this mouthwatering tie
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 10:08

Quote:

red-star-par, Thu 12 Jan 08:11

Quote:

Grant, Thu 12 Jan 07:23

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe we can break the 650 mark that the other games couldn`t reach for this mouthwatering tie

There are only three significant competitions - League, Scottish Cup and (to a lesser extent perhaps) League Cup.

The attendances at peripheral trophy games speak for themselves.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 22:16

Any idea what the average home crowd is for Hamilton, QoS and Queens Park
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bazzler1981  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 22:46

Hamilton - roughly 1500 but a couple games have been as low as 500
QOS - round about 1000
Queen’s Park - this is a strange 1 they struggle for 1000 but the odd week they do , when they played Hamilton there was a crowd of 3000 strange!!

Post Edited (Thu 12 Jan 22:47)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 23:03

Quote:

Bazzler1981, Thu 12 Jan 22:46

Hamilton - roughly 1500 but a couple games have been as low as 500
QOS - round about 1000
Queen’s Park - this is a strange 1 they struggle for 1000 but the odd week they do , when they played Hamilton there was a crowd of 3000 strange!!

QP Vs Hamilton crowd was boosted by the fact the match was played at Hampden. QP fans have been on their travels this season with the redevelopment of lesser Hampden.

From their website:-

`Queen’s Park’s ‘Back to the Future’ fixture with Hamilton Accies at the National Stadium at Hampden ran smoother than a DeLorean at 88 miles per hour with the Black and White Hoops enjoying a 4-0 success over Hamilton Academical.

A bumper 3,231 crowd including over 1,000 special guests from local schools and community groups, as well as club heroes Tony Quinn and David Galt, were in place before kick-off with the Spiders shooting towards the Aitkenhead Road of the ground.`
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 23:06

"Queen’s Park - this is a strange 1 they struggle for 1000 but the odd week they do , when they played Hamilton there was a crowd of 3000 strange!!

The Hamilton game was played at Hampden.

The bulk of QP`s "home" games this season have been played at Ochilview, so if they are managing to get several hundred to trek there regularly they`re not doing too badly.

Post Edited (Thu 12 Jan 23:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 23:07

It was reduced admission fee at Queens Park last night too(£10). Not sure about the other games.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 23:19

Don`t forget, for cup games, unlike league games, the "crowd" doesn`t include people who weren`t there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 23:49

Interesting to hear ex-Dundee player Dave Mackay say on COWS that in his experience matches have been played at Dens when the pitch was in worse condition than it was on Tuesday.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 00:50

I am still at a loss as to why folk want to dismiss as unimportant this tournament, when clearly it was designed specifically to exclude the premier league teams and give those in the lower leagues an opportunity for silverware.

Looking at the seven winners of the trophy in the past ten years, I think it is significant that five of them are currently playing in the premier league. This suggests to me that, no matter how humble the trophy might be in comparison to others, approaching it with a winning mentality can be a precursor to greater success.

I agree with those who say the introduction of B teams was not a great idea, but I support the principle of having teams from Ireland, Ulster, Wales and England taking part. It adds a different dimension; but they need to be less scattergun in who they choose from England.

Finally, I don`t object to folk having a go at me for a comment that they perceive to be abusive. I have already explained that it was meant to be in jest and you accept that or you don`t.

The problem as always with message boards is that the written word can easily be misinterpreted. Rest assured, I would never write anything on here that I wouldn`t be prepared to say directly to you were we in the same room.

Ask yourself the same question the next time you plan to insult someone.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 07:01

The list of former winners also includes Stenhousemuir Stranraer Falkirk Airdrie Hamilton and Alloa, suggesting it could also be a precursor to utter mediocrity.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 07:45

My favourite Challenge Cup game happened at Easter Road and involved our wee neighbours.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 07:59

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 13 Jan 00:50

I am still at a loss as to why folk want to dismiss as unimportant this tournament, when clearly it was designed specifically to exclude the premier league teams and give those in the lower leagues an opportunity for silverware.

Looking at the seven winners of the trophy in the past ten years, I think it is significant that five of them are currently playing in the premier league. This suggests to me that, no matter how humble the trophy might be in comparison to others, approaching it with a winning mentality can be a precursor to greater success.

I agree with those who say the introduction of B teams was not a great idea, but I support the principle of having teams from Ireland, Ulster, Wales and England taking part. It adds a different dimension; but they need to be less scattergun in who they choose from England.

Finally, I don`t object to folk having a go at me for a comment that they perceive to be abusive. I have already explained that it was meant to be in jest and you accept that or you don`t.

The problem as always with message boards is that the written word can easily be misinterpreted. Rest assured, I would never write anything on here that I wouldn`t be prepared to say directly to you were we in the same room.

Ask yourself the same question the next time you plan to insult someone.

It baffles me why some are so absolutely determined to belittle it at every opportunity.

I think its probably mostly down to our lowly position and a desire not to be distracted from the main aim of promotion rather than not recognising it as a reasonable and desirable achievement for a club outside the top division.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 10:05

Do you massively celebrate the Fife Cup?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 10:56

Quote:

Grant, Fri 13 Jan 10:05

Do you massively celebrate the Fife Cup?

The fife cup is only half a dozen local teams. I cant believe you used that as a comparison.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 12:14

Maybe the SPFL should persuade UEFA to inaugurate a European Diddy Cup open to the winners of national Diddy Cup competitions throughout the continent. The prospect of an away trip to some previously unvisited foreign Diddy club would surely spike the interest of fans in their domestic Diddy Cups. If the European Diddy Cup was a success it could be expanded to become a Diddy Champions` League which would give the fans the opportunity to go on even more trips to foreign Diddy clubs by having a group stage prior to the knockout rounds.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 12:25

A trip to lower league Estonia sounds fantastic

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 12:39

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 13 Jan 12:14

Maybe the SPFL should persuade UEFA to inaugurate a European Diddy Cup open to the winners of national Diddy Cup competitions throughout the continent. The prospect of an away trip to some previously unvisited foreign Diddy club would surely spike the interest of fans in their domestic Diddy Cups. If the European Diddy Cup was a success it could be expanded to become a Diddy Champions` League which would give the fans the opportunity to go on even more trips to foreign Diddy clubs by having a group stage prior to the knockout rounds.

So would the representative for the Scottish diddy team try to lose to be made a real diddy or would there be some kudos in winning the European diddy cup.

Actually not sure if anyone here remembers one of the greatest sendings off in the Fife Cup with John Holt who seemed to take loss of his senses in a game against Cowdenbeath many many years ago.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gthyde  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 12:43

Quote:

Just bring back the Intertoto cup!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 16:57

"The list of former winners also includes Stenhousemuir Stranraer Falkirk Airdrie Hamilton and Alloa, suggesting it could also be a precursor to utter mediocrity."

For the smaller part time clubs winning is a big deal.

Alloa, for example, had never progressed past the 1/4 final of the Scottish Cup in 120 odd years existence until they reached to final of the Challenge Cup 1999/2000........ having played all matches away from home.

For the referee, Jim McCluskey, it was his last appointment before retiring - he said it was the most satisfying game he`d handled at any level - both teams playing attacking football with only 2 yellow cards in 120 minutes play before going to penalties.

Post Edited (Fri 13 Jan 17:02)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 17:35

Quote:

Too late, such a tournament already exists- the Fenix Tournament. FC United of Manchester are the inaugural Champions

To be honest, I would probably be as interested in that as the Champions League, which is another Mickey Mouse competition
https://fanbanter.co.uk/english-non-league-club-become-first-ever-winners-of-new-european-tournament/
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 13 Jan 19:20

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 13 Jan 16:57

"The list of former winners also includes Stenhousemuir Stranraer Falkirk Airdrie Hamilton and Alloa, suggesting it could also be a precursor to utter mediocrity."

For the smaller part time clubs winning is a big deal.

Alloa, for example, had never progressed past the 1/4 final of the Scottish Cup in 120 odd years existence until they reached to final of the Challenge Cup 1999/2000........ having played all matches away from home.

For the referee, Jim McCluskey, it was his last appointment before retiring - he said it was the most satisfying game he`d handled at any level - both teams playing attacking football with only 2 yellow cards in 120 minutes play before going to penalties.

I was merely countering Ozpars post VEE. I`ve made my thoughts abundantly clear on this earlier in the thread

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net