DAFC.net
Home 28 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Game off (Tues 10th Dundee)
Topic Originator: livipar2  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 18:59

Waterlogged pitch

Mon the Pars!!!!!!!!!!!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Game off
Topic Originator: DulochConvert  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:07

Just pulled up in Dundee and not raining here, so surely they knew there was a problem an hour ago!!!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RMGpar  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:10

Does not even look that bad on the pic on twitter

40 mins before kick off is a poor show though

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ianoappar  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:11

An absolute disgrace calling the game off so late in the day,fans already at the ground.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:11

It`s very odd, work next to Dundee and the weather hasn`t been that bad at all, rains been off and on but nothing torrential.

To call it off this late is absolutely baffling.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dafc1996  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:22

Should send dundee fuel receipts for reimbursement...shocking

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:36

Bit late fans out of pocket again. They should make the rearranged game free entry for anyone who had a ticket and refund their ticket cost.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dover par  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 19:40

Shocking late call off, why can’t a local
Official be Called in if there was any doubt?

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing."

Post Edited (Tue 10 Jan 19:47)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:03

It wasn’t raining in Dundee. It wasn’t dry underfoot but where is anywhere in Scotland dry underfoot at this time of year. They should have called it earlier. Poor show again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Toun Clock  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:28

No tweets on their Twitter in the last 10 hours prior, I think they knew this wouldn’t be on. Amateurs.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:30

Probably not enougb cash to be made with small gate expected .

Go for a re schedule not on tv and pull in more gate money :):)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 20:33

Had a nice wee bus run to Perth and back

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 22:04

Over the years more games off at Dens than I can mind off - and late notification is standard.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 10 Jan 22:39

It was obviously called off by the match referee when he arrived at the ground. The club say it had been raining all day so why didn`t they arrange an earlier inspection? Amateur behaviour and as usual the poor old punter pays the price.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 00:34

Such a farce. Fans that made the journey should be compensated somehow. I was a midge`s scrotum hair from heading from Glasgow to the game before going against it. I’d have been absolutely apoplectic.

I Know There's Gonna Be (Good Times)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 08:45

I can`t imagine BBC Alba were too impressed by Dundee`s handling of this, being told about half an hour before their broadcast was due to start that the game was off.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 09:21

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 10 Jan 22:39

It was obviously called off by the match referee when he arrived at the ground. The club say it had been raining all day so why didn`t they arrange an earlier inspection? Amateur behaviour and as usual the poor old punter pays the price.

That’s not unusual at Dens Park.

They work on the basis of the groundsman’s opinion if the pitch is playable.

Amateur is a gross understatement.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fergie  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 09:41

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 11 Jan 08:45

I can`t imagine BBC Alba were too impressed by Dundee`s handling of this, being told about half an hour before their broadcast was due to start that the game was off.

No one was impressed. We got as close as the Tay Bridge only to find out that the game was off when a tweet came out that we thought was the team announcement. Absolutely no indication from Dundee through the day that the game was in danger. Dundee showed SFA levels of consideration for fans, I.e none
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 09:44

At least it was only Dundee and not Cove or QOTS or the likes.

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/12099928
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 11:23

Seen games played with pitches in far worse conditions than what that showed the Dens pitch. Obviously they thought the game would go ahead.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 11:38

Here`s a fabulous video on YouTube from 1985 of a game between Morton and Rangers played in the most appalling conditions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNzPa-iDR9M

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 15:11

Dundee FC were really negligent in their poor decision making yesterday. Surely with the history of waterlogged pitches at Dens they should have been looking at the pitch and arranging an earlier inspection, say 5.30pm and going public with it so that fans could be on alert about travelling. Presumably, players were changed when it was called off and Dundee should be compensating DAFC for the costs expended, but I wouldn`t hold my breath on that one.
I`m surprised at the lack of media condemnation of such poor practice, there`s a bit in the Courier and the Press but just reporting on the the fact not expressing any criticism. It does not even appear as an item on the BBC Scotland Sport website. They prefer to tell us important stuff like Kyle Rafferty is `bursting` to play against Celtic this weekend.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 15:40

Banner par. Was the Morton game played on the same day as our trip to play Threave Rovers. I think that our game only went ahead because of our friendly chants to Louis B Thow of your going to get your f*%""n head kicked in. This probably reminded him of a game played at Stenhousemuir. We did win 5-0.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 16:03

"Here`s a fabulous video on YouTube from 1985 of a game between Morton and Rangers played in the most appalling conditions."

Aye, Greenock.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 16:17

I was thinking does football ever now need an orange ball? Seems the slightest whiff of snow and the game is cancelled
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bannerpar  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 16:24

How it all enfolded last night reminded me a bit of when I was around 12 years old and boys from our area of Dunfermline would arrange a game with boys from other areas of Dunfermline and surrounds. Occasionally you would have a long walk or get the bus to the other place only to find they hadn`t been able to raise a team (no telephones far less mobiles then). You just had to accept it and make your way home disappointed. So it`s amateur stuff.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: arpar  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 17:18

Quote:

bannerpar, Wed 11 Jan 15:11

Dundee FC were really negligent in their poor decision making yesterday. Surely with the history of waterlogged pitches at Dens they should have been looking at the pitch and arranging an earlier inspection, say 5.30pm and going public with it so that fans could be on alert about travelling. Presumably, players were changed when it was called off and Dundee should be compensating DAFC for the costs expended, but I wouldn`t hold my breath on that one.
I`m surprised at the lack of media condemnation of such poor practice, there`s a bit in the Courier and the Press but just reporting on the the fact not expressing any criticism. It does not even appear as an item on the BBC Scotland Sport website. They prefer to tell us important stuff like Kyle Rafferty is `bursting` to play against Celtic this weekend.

They could have just played the game in those conditions. It wasn`t unsafe or anything like that. I remember watching internationals at hampden in the last few years where the ball kept stopping in the water and they kept playing. I think the ref is more to blame not wanting to get cold and muddy.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 18:17

Good idea to play on a dodgy surface and risk injuries ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 18:27

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 11 Jan 18:17

Good idea to play on a dodgy surface and risk injuries ?

Good long sliiiiiiidde tackles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJFZ_O7GScI

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 19:04

remember game in 80,s pars v east fife water was about foot deep but ref put game on ended 1-1 pars player beat goalie but water stopped ball crossing the line think it was grant jenkins lot of players nearly got hypothermia i was at it was freezing as well

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Angus_W  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 19:44

Yes the NYD game against East Fife was played in brutal conditions & it wasn’t much better for the spectators. I was never sp grateful to make it back to the car!

If I remember correctly Shaggy scored both the goals that day.

“.........your on mute Jordan” 😀
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 11 Jan 23:45

Topic Originator: bigdonnie like
Date: Wed 11 Jan 19:04

remember game in 80,s pars v east fife water was about foot deep but ref put game on ended 1-1 pars player beat goalie but water stopped ball crossing the line think it was grant jenkins lot of players nearly got hypothermia i was at it was freezing as well

Remember it well for the wrong reasons. It was the Ne’er day game 1987. Got food poisoning on Boxing Day and was bed ridden for a few days. Somehow managed to drag myself from my sick bed and go to the game. Went to main stand as there was no way I could have stood on the terracing. Think that may have been my first time in Main. Brutal day all round. Sure it set my recovery back a few more days. I was literally a die hard back then……

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 10:17

Who minds a farcical New Year game v Hearts at EEP when they had Henry Smith in goal ?

There were remnants of snow on the pitch but most had melted into pools of water on top of a hard surface.

Grant Jenkins did a fair impression of an Olympic diver sliding through a large pool - it ended in a draw if memory serves, Shaggy scored I think.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Zimbo  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 16:01

I think it was John Donnelly that was taken off with hypothermia at half time v East Fife NY game.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parfection  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 16:04

I was at that game too and it was definitely John Donnelly who fell victim to hypothermia.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 16:46

I have a recollection of a game against QOS at EEP in which one of their players (Tony Gervaise?) was affected by hypothermia. I think a Pars` player brought his distress to the attention of the ref so he could stop the game. Looking at Gervaise`s career on wikipedia he only spent season 1985/86 with QOS and per ParsDatabase we played them at home on 09/11/85, winning 2-1. We pipped them for promotion by two points that season. Does anyone remember that game? 9 November seems a bit early for hypothermia, even in Scotland!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 17:28

Think the Pars player in question might have been Ziggy Bowie Eck ?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 18:30

That would make sense, ML, as I think Gervaise was a full back so he could have been marking Ziggy.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 19:30

It was indeed Ziggy, he saw the QOS lad was in trouble and brought it to the attention of the referee.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 19:36

It’s always cauld on ma birthday, Wee Eck. Always

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 20:25

Were you old enough to be at that game, buffy? 😊😊😊

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Thu 12 Jan 21:24

Only just 😂 - I was 17.
Crikey

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 14 Jan 10:05

Dundee v PT off today due to a waterlogged pitch!

[IP address logged]
 Re: Game off (Tues 10th Dundee)
Date:   Sat 14 Jan 12:52

Dundee should sign up Matt McGinns big orange whale wi that pitch.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Sat 14 Jan 12:55

Mate says the problem is a broken drain which they cant dig down and fix till close season

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Steve mcgregor  
Date:   Sat 14 Jan 19:01

There could be a good chance the game gets called off again on Tuesday with the weather the way it is. I’d love to go to the game but just can’t afford to take the chance
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sun 15 Jan 09:54

Quote:

Steve mcgregor, Sat 14 Jan 19:01

There could be a good chance the game gets called off again on Tuesday with the weather the way it is. I’d love to go to the game but just can’t afford to take the chance

Looking at the forecast for Monday and Tuesday, I reckon there`s more chance of me being on the bench for the Pars than the game going ahead.

A waterlogged pitch followed by sub zero temperatures? 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net