DAFC.net
Home 27 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Old Lady Guilty
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Fri 20 Jan 23:21

Juventus: Serie A giants docked 15 points for transfer dealings - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64355497

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5: text "DADSC" to 70970

Post Edited (Fri 20 Jan 23:22)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Old Lady Guilty
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 07:52

Hell mend her, Stanza. It`s not the first time Juventus has been found guilty of significant transgressions. In 2006, the club was stripped of 2 Serie A titles, relegated to Serie B and docked 30 pts for the following season (later reduced to 9 on appeal) for influencing referees in not only their own games but those of title rivals.

Their main defence at the moment appears to be that another 10 clubs were investigated, so how come they`re the only one found guilty. Everybody hates us but we don`t care.

Remind you of any club nearer home? 🤔

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 07:55

Back in the 1980s, when I was a journo in London, I was sent out to Italy to report on the Turin Motor Show. As part of the international press contingent, I was invited by the chairman of Fiat and their truck partner Iveco, Gianni Agnelli, to a dinner in the stadium of Juventus FC.

There were probably about a hundred guests at the dinner, and at each table there was an executive of Fiat/Iveco and a Juventus player. I wasn`t near the top tables where then players Michel Platini and Michael Laudrup sat, but I was more than happy to be sitting directly across from a very friendly defender called Sergio Brio; no superstar I suppose, but a man whose long footballing career I followed with interest thereafter.

The reason I relate this is that, back then it would have been impossible to imagine Juventus getting into financial trouble. Gianni Agnelli was by a comfortable margin the richest man in Italy. His main companies, Fiat and Iveco, were the largest contributors to the Italian economy. He was seen as totally impregnable, a giant in European business, and his financial support for Juventus seemed to be gilt-edge guaranteed.

Of course, ten years later, it was a very different story as the fortunes of many of the large car and truck manufacturers plunged, and the story has progressively got worse since then.

It is depressing to see that one of his nephews, Andrea, is involved in this scandal. I have no doubt that Gianni Agnelli would be spinning in his grave.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 08:40

If he`s spinning in his grave about this Oz we should probably look into using it to generate power because he will be constantly spinning given the behaviour of Juventus over the last few decades. They seem to have a taste for flagrant cheating.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 09:24

I only know what I saw, wotsit. It was only one evening; hardly a full picture. I guess, an Italian journalist shown the same courtesy on an evening at Ibrox in the 1980s may well have drawn a similar conclusion.

Certainly, Gianni Agnelli was one of the most impressive human beings that I have met in my life. And, in case you are wondering, yes I have met both Roy Barry and Jim Leishman...

:)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Sat 21 Jan 10:50

Quote:

OzPar, Sat 21 Jan 09:24

I only know what I saw, wotsit. It was only one evening; hardly a full picture. I guess, an Italian journalist shown the same courtesy on an evening at Ibrox in the 1980s may well have drawn a similar conclusion.

Certainly, Gianni Agnelli was one of the most impressive human beings that I have met in my life. And, in case you are wondering, yes I have met both Roy Barry and Jim Leishman...

:)

Gianni Agnelli was very rich, but he wasn`t arrogant with it. He always conducted himself like the quintessential English gentleman.

Juve, on the other hand, have employed some unscrupulous people for as long as I can remember. Have a Google for their European Cup semi-final v Brian Clough`s Derby County.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net