DAFC.net
Home 27 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Darvel v Aberdeen
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 20:09

Proper tasty cup tie on BBC Scotland tonight. Looks like a good set up Darvel have. Deserving their 1 nil lead at the moment
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Darvel v Aberdeen
Topic Originator: buffy  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 20:32

Jim Goodwin’s jacket surely now on a shoogily peg.

”Buffy’s Buns are the finest in Fife”, J. Spence 2019”
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 20:33

Sensation waiting to happen!! Something strange has happened to Scottish football when someone with a wee bit of money can take over a Scottish "junior" team which looks like knocking Aberdeen out of the Scottish Cup.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pars4life1  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 20:44

There’s something horrible about darvel that takes away from the excitement of a big cup upset. I’d be willing to put quite a lot behind them being bust within the next 5 years.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 20:48

Yep, Aberdeen are in an awful run of form, if they don`t get through tonight I can`t see him surviving as manager.
I do worry where you see what essentially are small sides getting bank rolled above their level, we`ve seen it with Ross County, Cove Rangers, Kelty Hearts and now there`s Darvel and others coming through. They must be well run clubs too, for it to be sustainable, but it`s hard to take seeing teams like that above us in the leagues
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:09

Andy sterling on for darvel. Ex par
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:22

Shocking offside flag from linesman there. Corruption or total incompetence? Darvel living on borrowed time now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:25

I find myself questioning VAR until I see linesmen making decisions like that , that may well end up costing a man his job.

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:27

I like Jim Goodwin. He deserves better

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:34

agree with the comments about Darvel just another kelty, Queens Park etc hard to get excited about them
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:40

Fantastic result for Darvel !!!!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:42

Quote:

LEGEND85, Mon 23 Jan 21:34

agree with the comments about Darvel just another kelty, Queens Park etc hard to get excited about them

I hate to think what would get you excited......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:42

Not quite unbelievable. I would have made Darvel favourites, having beaten Montrose 5-2 in the last round and Aberdeen being in such a poor vein of form.

Falkirk up next. Let`s hope they put the fear of death into them and they take their eyes off their league campaign.

Post Edited (Mon 23 Jan 21:46)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:48

Aberdeen were rank rotten ! same thing all the time throw in a lot of misplaced passes and no end result too
some good saves at the right time from Darvel`s keeper and the defenders did well to get blocks in
Would say Aberdeen were cheated out of a goal by the linesman and unfortunately it could actually do a man out of a job

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:48

Looking from afar it looks like a fairytale story but reading a bit deeper they are very well financed and wouldn`t be surprised if paying better than senior clubs which explains why they have so many ex pro`s who are still in their prime who dropped down three or four levels.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wetherby  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 21:54

Enjoyed the game , but how poor were Aberdeen. Thoroughly deserved by Darvel and top marks to their groundsman pitch looked excellent. I see Andy Stirling has lost none of his pace !!!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 22:08

Fair play to them, I did fancy a shock there and at 14/1 it was rude not to have a flutter.

On a side note though, is it just me that is getting sick of looking at the draw for the 5th round every year and seeing teams like Darvel, Drumchapel Utd, Auchinleck, Cove Rangers still in there, while we are kicking our heels
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 22:23

I doubt, very much red star par if any of the above mentioned would have beaten an above average Championship team like Partick Thistle at Firhill. To be honest for me at least it feels better to be able to concentrate on our league campaign. We have a pretty bare squad and too many cup games I don`t consider would suit us.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 22:23

Don’t knock the wee teams - we all started somewhere.

A Darvel fan has already been on Wikipedia 😂

“WIKIPEDIA

Darvel F.C.
Article Talk
Darvel Football Club are a Scottish football club based in the town of Darvel, Ayrshire. Nicknamed
"The Vale" and formed in 1889, the club play at Recreation Park, and currently compete in the West of Scotland League Premier Division.Darvel have recently pumped the sheep shaggers in the Scottish Cup”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 22:34

Well done Darvel. Played well, rode a wee bit of luck with possibly worse ever offside call. But that’s what happens with a little investment and being a well run and ambitious team, eventually all the ambitious lower league teams
Will prevail and we will eventually lose a lot of dross in league 2.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 22:34

I must admit I always find myself rooting for the `establishment` club in these games - maybe because I can imagine the Pars being in a similar position some time!

Aberdeen seemed to lack leadership on the pitch but that was a shocking offside decision that went against them.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Levrad  
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 22:58

Just about landed again. What a result on the pitch that I grew up playing on. At that time I chose DAFC as my team - to be different. As a result I am now a season ticket holder at EEP. On a few sites including here and Pie and Bovril there are a few unkind comments. Many people don`t like a small team that have money to back them. If, as I understand, it is sustainable at Darvel then they may get a few years of reasonable success. If not they will disappear from the headlines. At the moment it gives the town, which seen a marked decline in the last 50 years, a much needed wee boost. It went from 20 odd lace factories to 0 in a matter of a few years. At least Sir Alexander Fleming keeps it sort of famous.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 23 Jan 23:01

Well said Levrad.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 02:54

Quote:

Paralex, Mon 23 Jan 21:42

Not quite unbelievable. I would have made Darvel favourites, having beaten Montrose 5-2 in the last round and Aberdeen being in such a poor vein of form.

Falkirk up next. Let`s hope they put the fear of death into them and they take their eyes off their league campaign.

Favourites 😂😂 Away and spraw shoit
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 06:47

The chairman is an ego maniac and also on the Kilmarnock board I believe, and the money they are paying to players is very high compared even to some League One and Two sides. Having said that, for all I like Goodwin, he clearly failed to prepare for the game - didn`t know which league they are in, didn`t know the names of their players etc, so for that reason it`s hard to feel any sympathy. I don`t think McGlynn will make the same mistake sadly.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Grant  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 07:25

Aye, while the gap in league placings is massive, the gap in finances isn`t as big as you`d think. They`re massively financed by there chairman.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 08:31

Aye but come on seriously, Aberdeen are still miles and miles ahead financially.

Ep. 6 of East End Tales is out now with AUSTIN McCANN! Reminisce with us about the big Fife derby in 2011, otherwise known as BMMMH day!

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/12099928
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 08:42

You only have to look at the reaction on the news channels today. It`s very obviously a shock. Aberdeen should be embarrassed at last night`s performance and result. Doesn`t matter about finances. They should be going there and winning.

McGlynn can do all the research he wants. He's very limited as a manager and highly overrated. I think they'll be very nervous about this game. Hope they get pumped

Post Edited (Tue 24 Jan 08:43)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 08:58

I`m hoping Goodwin survives. Cos if he gets the heave I suspect they`ll be looking to replace him with a young and ambitious yet grounded manager with a bit of Premier League experience 😬

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 09:13

Posted from the Android app Topic Originator: Grant like
Date: Tue 24 Jan 07:25

Aye, while the gap in league placings is massive, the gap in finances isn`t as big as you`d think. They`re massively financed by there chairman

Behave, the gulf is massive. Aberdeen spent 1.4million in transfer fees alone over the summer.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 09:36

Quote:

yorkiepar, Tue 24 Jan 08:58

I`m hoping Goodwin survives. Cos if he gets the heave I suspect they`ll be looking to replace him with a young and ambitious yet grounded manager with a bit of Premier League experience 😬

That thought occurred to me as well ...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5: text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 09:58

Quote:

Athletico, Tue 24 Jan 09:13

Posted from the Android app Topic Originator: Grant like
Date: Tue 24 Jan 07:25

Aye, while the gap in league placings is massive, the gap in finances isn`t as big as you`d think. They`re massively financed by there chairman

Behave, the gulf is massive. Aberdeen spent 1.4million in transfer fees alone over the summer.

I didn`t say there wasn`t a gap, just that people quoting the differences in league tiers are missing out that Darvel have a budget comparable to a league one/two side.

There`s more than quite a few rumours that go around regarding Darvel aswell, so I`m probably not as taken with the "fairytale" line as others.

All that being said I hope they absolutely thump Falkirk.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 10:01

I don`t mind a wee team having a moment of glory and it`s certainly a surprise result with Aberdeen being by far the better funded team. However, for it to be made out as the biggest of all Scottish cup shocks is clearly ridiculous. Stenhousemuir beating Aberdeen was probably a bigger surprise, and this one is probably comparable to something like Hamilton Accies at a low ebb beating Aberdeen or this season`s struggling Forfar team beating Dundee.

I don`t see how Goodwin can survive this one, but I don`t think anyone should be worried about them coming for our manager. Clubs like Aberdeen and Hibs are simply not going to go for a manager two leagues down who has taken one of the two `big` clubs in that league to top position after half a season. They aren`t going to do so based on his prior experience at Dundee either, given that it was not a success. If we were going well a league up it might be a serious possibility but at the moment it just isn`t.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 10:08

This forum is hilarious at times.

I love the job he`s doing for us but there is no danger Aberdeen will be appointing James McPake.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 10:20

Very glad for that da no 1, cos we very much want to keep him. But I emphasise again that the Darvel result was no major surprise. Would it have been a total shock if we had beaten a struggling premiership team like Aberdeen at EEP? No way. And yet Darvel beat Montrose 5-2 away from home, a team that beat us 2 nil on our last visit there. I saw it coming and wasn`t at all surprised. It was Darvel`s cup final and just another game for Aberdeen.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 10:54

"Would it have been a total shock if we had beaten a struggling premiership team like Aberdeen at EEP?"

Yes, of course it would.

"I saw it coming and wasn`t at all surprised." Nonsense

"It was Darvel`s cup final and just another game for Aberdeen." More nonsense.

Darvel beating Aberdeen was a shock result. Please stop.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 11:26

The Darvel chairman was coy when asked what bonus the players were on to beat Aberdeen. He said it was nil because their bonus will be based on how far they get in the competition and he didn`t divulge any figures.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 11:57

Darvel were 33/1 at the bookies to win at the weekend.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 12:04

In response to the infallible wisdom of da_no_1.

Hearts beat Aberdeen 5-0. Would Hearts beat the current DAFC 5-0. Sorry da I don`t see it. So would DAFC have reasonable shout at beating Aberdeen at EEP? Certainly would be no shock at all.

Is da a mind reader? When I say I saw it coming, it was a genuine sense of anticipating that a win for Darvel, based on their previous result, was not out of the question and certainly not and earth shattering shock.

In a situation where Darvel had everything to gain and Aberdeen everything to lose, it`s no surprise that the misfiring premier club, with their manager`s job on the line froze on the night and with no VAR a dodgy linesman aided the Darvel cause.

Sorry da your one liners of nonsense and rubbish need a wee bit more thought.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 12:24

"Hearts beat Aberdeen 5-0. Would Hearts beat the current DAFC 5-0. Sorry da I don`t see it. So would DAFC have reasonable shout at beating Aberdeen at EEP? Certainly would be no shock at all."

Is this some sort of attempt to strengthen your case? It`s like a playground argument. FWIW Hearts could quite easily dismantle most teams in the championship never mind League 1 by 5 or more, going by their performance on Sunday alone. Again, not really sure what point you`re trying to make. Us beating Aberdeen would be a shock. Darvel beating Aberdeen most definitely was a shock. Most of the football world & the majority of bookies agree.

I`m done discussing it now. You`re just wrong.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 12:49

It`s the context of it though.

McShane was playing for Falkirk and QOTS year or two ago (think he might even have been captain) and hadn`t even turned 30 when he dropped down 4 or 5 levels.

Craig Moore another one, dropped from Championship with Ayr down to WOSFL to join them.

They did similar with the Forfar captain last year albeit he would be part time anyway.

There are a good few more.

Now you can drink the KoolAid with the "ambitious club" speel but at the end of the day (Grant and a couple others seemed tuned in) it`s obvious how they are able to recruit them. Whether is sustainable who knows? The chairmen is a successful businessman as is the manager in his own right.

It`s no massively different from Gretna, Crawley Town, Livingston in the mid 90s and probably a lot more i`ve forgotten.

It`s definitely an upset on paper but nowhere near the level that some people are making out IMO.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."

Post Edited (Tue 24 Jan 12:59)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 12:50

Hearts absolutely have it in them to scud us by five fwiw.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 13:26

On a good day Hearts beat Aberdeen 5-0. And agreed, on a good day they might beat us 5-0. That would make us no better or worse than Aberdeen (on current form) and therefore no great surprise if we beat them 1-0 in a cup game at EEP. Fairly logical, I think.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: back oh the net  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 14:07

If Jim Goodwin keeps his job off the back of this embarrassment for Aberdeen then he clearly has dirt on everyone on the board from the chairman down to the person who signs the checks if they keep him in place then we could quite easily have two trips to the dung heep next season no surprise then that this Saturdays hibs vs Aberdeen match has been dubbed el sackio

Come on ye pars ⚽️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 15:25

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Tue 24 Jan 12:49

It`s the context of it though.

McShane was playing for Falkirk and QOTS year or two ago (think he might even have been captain) and hadn`t even turned 30 when he dropped down 4 or 5 levels.

Craig Moore another one, dropped from Championship with Ayr down to WOSFL to join them.

They did similar with the Forfar captain last year albeit he would be part time anyway.

There are a good few more.

Now you can drink the KoolAid with the "ambitious club" speel but at the end of the day (Grant and a couple others seemed tuned in) it`s obvious how they are able to recruit them. Whether is sustainable who knows? The chairmen is a successful businessman as is the manager in his own right.

It`s no massively different from Gretna, Crawley Town, Livingston in the mid 90s and probably a lot more i`ve forgotten.

It`s definitely an upset on paper but nowhere near the level that some people are making out IMO.

The scenario you paint is reminiscent of Therangers 2012 debut season in League 2. They were able to attract players from Scotland`s top flight by offering wages higher ranking clubs simply couldn`t get anywhere near matching. I remember Kevin Kyle boasting that he asked for twice the salary he thought he`d no chance of getting and Ally McCoist immediately agreed it. Kyle was stunned but recovered enough to sign before laughing all the way home.

If Darvel can legitimately afford to pay top wages, good luck them. If the source is dodgy, it will catch up with them sooner or later, just as it has with several senior clubs in the last 20 years or so.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 15:59

It makes a great story for the papers and even the BBC news but it`s hardly your group of local amateur village artisans pitting their wits against a mighty city football team.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 17:38

Quote:

Paralex, Tue 24 Jan 15:59

It makes a great story for the papers and even the BBC news but it`s hardly your group of local amateur village artisans pitting their wits against a mighty city football team.

My god, how do you manage to get enough gusto to open your eyes in the morning.............🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 17:57

Just seen the result Bloody Hell !! that has to be the worst ever result for a premier team of all time

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 18:06

Quote:

Buspasspar, Tue 24 Jan 17:57

Just seen the result Bloody Hell !! that has to be the worst ever result for a premier team of all time

Only if the only yardstick you use is the no of tiers between the teams, BPP. If you consider the difference in resources between the teams I would argue that the following were bigger shocks:-

Berwick v Rangers 1967 and
Celtic v ICT. Can`t remember the year but the Sun came out with a memorable headline.... SuperCaley go ballistic, Celtic are atrocious. 😃

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Tue 24 Jan 19:25

1966/67 was the season horrilibus at Ibrox ……Celtic won everything they entered including the EC.

Rangers had the nightmare at Berwick - then lost the ECWC to Bayern in the final.

We gained “Dandy” McLean in the fallout though !!!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net