DAFC.net
Home 28 January 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Milos Drizic
Topic Originator: DAFC_Mike  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 13:48

Writing a piece on the Yugoslavian for the Former Player`s Association magazine, and considering there is very little on his time at the Pars. I am just wondering if anyone has any memories of the towering centre back

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Milos Drizic
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 14:04

Yes. I remembering him rugby tackling Roddie Grant after a failed nutmeg at the edge of our own box. He deservedly received a red card.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 14:05

Probably the biggest feet in Pars history? Liked to try and nutmeg folk in his own 6 yard box and give everyone in the stand a heart attack.I was only young but those are certainly my memories of him.Didn`t play many games at all for us?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 14:09

I remember being really excited by the news of his signing, I`m sure Leishman said he was a 6ft7in Centre Back who had scored 45 goals in ONE SEASON for Red Star Belgrade, who were a good team at the time. I`m not sure how true that is though, I think it might have been due to someone being misheard saying "he PLAYED 45 MINUTES ONCE for Red Star Belgrade"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 14:18

At a time when defenders were told - " If in doubt, kick it out", someone had obviously told him - " If in doubt, drag back, step-over, cruyff turn, nutmeg".

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 14:59

I remember in a home game v St Johnstone, Drizic standing at the edge of his own box, motioning with both hands to Roddy Grant to come and take the ball off him. Grant tried and Drizic took the absolute pith out of him, dragging the ball back and nutmegging him. Grant wasn`t at all chuffed and complained to the ref, asking him to pull out a card. šŸ˜ƒ

Was Drizic red carded in the same game? I`ve no recollection of it at all. I think Ian Munro was or manager then. He was having kittens in the dugout at Drizic`s antics. šŸ˜ƒ I don`t think he featured in too many games after that, which was a shame - he was worth the admission money by himself.

Not your average Sunday League player.

Post Edited (Wed 25 Jan 15:00)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 15:33

Did he not have a super long throw in aswell?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 16:21

Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle like
Date: Wed 25 Jan 15:33

He may well have done but Mark Haro was around at about the same time and he was probably up there with the longest throw for a Pars player.?

Managed to find some footage of Drizic on youtube here including some at East End Park near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3jEhcRzeQ

Saw some other footage of a ranch in Montenegro that he had something to do with and he is also briefly in a film about Ivan Gudelj

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 16:24

Was he not also a central character in one of the fanzines of the time, playing the Darth Vader role in a Par Wars cartoon strip?

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate Ā£5: text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kaiser  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 16:28

Iā€™m sure in a tackle he took one of the biggest divots in history on a football pitch on his debut game for the Pars.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 16:36

Quote:

parathletic, Wed 25 Jan 16:21

Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle like
Date: Wed 25 Jan 15:33

He may well have done but Mark Haro was around at about the same time and he was probably up there with the longest throw for a Pars player.?

Managed to find some footage of Drizic on youtube here including some at East End Park near the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3jEhcRzeQ

Saw some other footage of a ranch in Montenegro that he had something to do with and he is also briefly in a film about Ivan Gudelj

That`s it. Mark Haro. Apologies. Got them mixed up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 16:58

Ally McCoist playing for Rangers at EEP tied to run through Drizic`s legs.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: maradona86  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 17:02

Signed for Southampton in February 1989 but was shrouded by mystery, an excerpt from World Soccer Magazine 1990.

"Mystery surrounds Southampton`s signing of Yugoslav defender Milos Drizic from Rad Belgrade. When his identity first leaked out after he turned up to watch a reserve game at The Dell it was claimed he was a Yugoslav International who had played six times for his country.

But when he signed a reported Ā£200,000 transfer under the watchful eyes of manager Chris Nicholl the story had changed. Now Drizic was said to have played three times for his country and been a member of their squad at the 1982 World Cup finals in Spain.

A close check through International records could produce no record of anyone named Drizic ever having played a senior International for Yugoslavia. Also, FIFA`s official squad lists from the 1982 World Cup have no note of anyone e named Drizic registered for Yugoslavia. Miles Hristic and Milos Sestic are both there but both men are now in their early 30s; Drizic 28.

The next step was a telex to to Ante Pavlovic, general secretary of the Yugoslav federation in Belgrade. His answer only added to the Mystery. Drizic, said Pavlovic after checking his own records, had plated for Yugoslavia`s B team in a 2-0 win over Rumania B on May 9, 1982, in Albayulia. He was a substitute (not used, apparently) when Yugoslavia played Switzerland on October 26, 1983 and the next month he was called up (but again did not play) for a friendly against France,

If Drizic were an EEC citizen all this would not matter. He could come and work/play here. But non EEC nationals need to justify their value to secure a work permit. In football terms that has, in the past, meant full internatiol caps.... "
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 19:47

Topic Originator: GG Riva like
Date: Wed 25 Jan 14:59

I remember in a home game v St Johnstone, Drizic standing at the edge of his own box, motioning with both hands to Roddy Grant to come and take the ball off him. Grant tried and Drizic took the absolute pith out of him, dragging the ball back and nutmegging him. Grant wasn`t at all chuffed and complained to the ref, asking him to pull out a card. šŸ˜ƒ

Was Drizic red carded in the same game? I`ve no recollection of it at all. I think Ian Munro was or manager then. He was having kittens in the dugout at Drizic`s antics. šŸ˜ƒ I don`t think he featured in too many games after that, which was a shame - he was worth the admission money by himself.

I actually remembering as you say GG, that he did motion to Grant to come to him and did successfully nutmeg him. But I am sure he then dragged the ball back and tried it a second time and failed. Then he brought Grant down and was sent off. I may be confused though due to the fact it was a long time ago.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 25 Jan 21:37

`They tell me, he`s a dud.` An old Pars fan from the time we signed him
That`s what Drizic was unfortunately. A talented player totally unsuited to the hurly burly of the Scottish game and forever looking for a pass that wasn`t there. An expensive mistake. Would be a dream player under the present set up. Like Kozma, slightly out of time.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DAFC_Mike  
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 14:34

Thank you for all the contributions, they are much appreciated.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 17:14

Quote:

Stanza, Wed 25 Jan 16:24

Was he not also a central character in one of the fanzines of the time, playing the Darth Vader role in a Par Wars cartoon strip?

He was Chewbacca.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bletchley_Par  
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 17:38

I recall him scoring a cracking header at home v St. Mirren after costing us the opening goal in a 2-2 draw.

He was championed by Chick Young before a Rangers game at Ibrox, the second one of the 1990/91 season about making his debut Chick saying he had confirmed with Milos he was playing, then when the lineups were announced he was not on playing or on the bench, much to the hilarity of Chick.

Reminded me of Tony Adams, with added nutmegs, drag backs, kamikaze defending, good in the air and a cultured left foot.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 26 Jan 19:43

Topic Originator: sonofpetrie
Date: Thu 26 Jan 17:14

Quote:

Stanza, Wed 25 Jan 16:24

He was Chewbacca.

Ah, that`s correct!

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate Ā£5: text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
Ā© 2021-- DAFC.net