DAFC.net
Home 04 June 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Team statistics
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 7 May 19:38

Home - W10 D8 L0 GF30 GA10 GD20 Pts 38
Away - W13 D4 L1 GF33 GA11 GD22 Pts 43

Total - W23 D12 L1 GF63 GA21 GD42 Pts 81

Points won - Q1 19 Q2 20 Q3 23 Q4 19

Results by opponent

Airdrie - DWDD GF7 GA6 Pts 6
Alloa - WWWW GF8 GA0 Pts 12
Clyde - WDDW GF7 GA4 Pts 8
FCE - WWWD GF5 GA0 Pts 10
Falkirk - DWWD GF6 GA3 Pts 8
Kelty - DWWD GF4 GA2 Pts 8
Montrose - WLWW GF6 GA3 Pts 9
Peterhead - DWWW GF10 GA2 Pts 10
QOS - WDWW GF10 GA1 Pts 10

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Team statistics
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 7 May 20:20

Jings wee eck .. ye must have been up all night compiling that .. human dynamo .. guid tho .. great season .. COYP

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Socks  
Date:   Sun 7 May 22:21

On the way home yesterday, I was thinking about Alloa being the only team we didn`t drop any points to, despite them being far from the worst opposition this year.

Another stat that came to mind was that we ended up with the best home record in the league. We were always miles ahead of everyone else in terms of away points won, but for a long time we were just about average in home form. We had plenty of disappointing draws at home, but a big reason for the title win was that they were poor draws rather than poor losses.

When looking at the opposition we`ve faced this year, in games against the Pars I`d rank them as follows:

Montrose
Airdrie
Falkirk
Kelty
Clyde
Alloa
Queen of the South
Edinburgh City
Peterhead

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Sun 7 May 22:24

11 out of 18 away clean sheets i reckon as well. Incredible.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 8 May 12:35

Here`s another stat - our average home gate in the League was 4,776. The highest was of course 9,530 against Falkirk on Tuesday 7 March and the lowest was 3,639 against Alloa for the opening League game of the season so the trend was upwards after that!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 8 May 12:57

2nd highest average crowd in the lower leagues behind Dundee, yet still above Ross County and Livi. Decent effort by the fanbase.

Has our potential increased? I can mind we would sometimes get crowds of 4000 in the SPL.

Ep. 8 of East End Tales is out now with CRAIG BREWSTER!

https://eastendtales.buzzsprout.com
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Mon 8 May 13:58

Quote:

EastEndTales, Mon 8 May 12:57

2nd highest average crowd in the lower leagues behind Dundee, yet still above Ross County and Livi. Decent effort by the fanbase.

Has our potential increased? I can mind we would sometimes get crowds of 4000 in the SPL.

The potential has always been there. Fans will always flock to a team at the top of the table.
Sadly, we spent a lot of time in the SPL at the bottom end of the table.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmanout  
Date:   Mon 8 May 18:36

Even in the Jimmy C era we never got huge home crowds.
I`m quite sure after beating ICT to reach the Scottish Cup final we played Motherwell at home with a crowd of 3.5K.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 9 May 03:30

I always think back to Jim Leishman`s sacking as the day the music stopped as far as our crowd potential was concerned.

Until then, a 10,000 crowd at EEP against decent non-OF sides like Hibs or Hearts was quite realistic. After that, the potential virtually halved, and the decline continued in the following decades, despite a tiny and disappointing revival under JC.

We seem to be entering a new upward swing under James McPake, and who knows where it will take us? If progress on and off the field continues, I would not be surprised if crowds settled around the 7k mark within a couple of years. The key is attracting the younger folk, for they are the future.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 9 May 07:26

Some of that is true, but there was a massive revival during Bert Paton`s time at the helm.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 May 08:25

Jeez, DA-go, you are right, I can`t believe I forgot that!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 9 May 08:32

Quote:

OzPar, Tue 9 May 08:25

Jeez, DA-go, you are right, I can`t believe I forgot that!

Go to the bad corner.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: rikaka  
Date:   Tue 9 May 10:13

The way attendances are reported as change over the years
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 9 May 10:56

Interestingly (although others will be the judge of that), when the Pars got promoted from the 3rd tier in 1985/86, the average attendance was just under 2,900.

When we got promoted to the premier league in 86/87, the average was just over 4,100.

Leishman undoubtedly built something, but it was mostly the last 3 seasons where the crowds reached the really impressive numbers that we all remember - as shown in the 88/89 season, where we beat Falkirk to the title and averaged close to 6,500.

Historically then, this season`s numbers look decent. They are even higher than Paton`s first year in charge where we challenged for the title and had over 13,000 for the Falkirk match at the end of March.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 12 May 07:51

I seem to remember that we averaged just over 11, 000 towards the end of Jim Leishman`s first spell in charge. That made us the 5th highest attendance in Scotland - ahead of Hibs, Dundee and Dundee United. Only Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and Hearts bettered our total home attendance.

EEP had standing terracing then, of course.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 12 May 08:06

According to Wikipedia in Leishman`s last season(89/90), the average gate was 13500, which was the 3rd largest in the country.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Fri 12 May 09:06

Quote:

parathletic, Fri 12 May 08:06

According to Wikipedia in Leishman`s last season(89/90), the average gate was 13500, which was the 3rd largest in the country.

Average Home league attendance for 89/90 was 10980.

(8,987 + 8,573 + 17,765 + 7,656 + 19,580 + 10,804 + 11,882 + 9,303 + 11,295 + 9,282 + 8,525 + 17,350 + 7,086 + 8,228 + 14,044 + 6,945 + 10,829 + 9,500) ÷ 18

Including away games it's just over 13400.

Post Edited (Fri 12 May 09:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 May 09:09

I don`t think the average was 13,500. That was more like the biggest crowd. Eleven thousand sounds about right for the average for that season.

It just emphasises the insanity of that decision by the board back then. But it is also a reminder of the potential for crowd growth at Dunfermline.

Handled with care by the club, and with continuing success on the pitch, we could see crowds of 10k as a regular feature at EEP in the next two to three years. It is a big ask, for sure. But who is to say that it is not possible?

Edit to add:-

I have just checked the average home crowd stats for 2000 and compared them with 2023 for Hearts, Hibs, Aberdeen and Dundee United. Hearts crowds have grown from 12.7k to 18.5k. Hibs from 11.3k to 17.4k. Aberdeen from 12.6k to 15.4k. And Dundee United from 8.0k to 9.3k.

So, in this time, Hearts have increased their crowd by 46% and Hibs by 54%.

In 2000, the Pars were in the Premier too, and our average crowd then was 6.8k. So, to achieve 10k, our crowd would have to increase by 47% compared to then. If Hearts and Hibs can do it, then with the right approach, we can do it too.

Post Edited (Fri 12 May 09:37)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 May 09:27

89/90 was very much the outlier in terms of attendances. It came at the end of a period of extraordinary success as the team went from bottom division to top, down then immediately back to the top division. Maybe not that different to what happened at Kelty in recent seasons, just on a bigger scale and from a bigger starting base.

While that attendance stat for 89/90 is often quoted, the average the following season when Iain Munro was manager on his own was over 8000, despite being pulled down by some small attendances towards the end of the season which had become meaningless after the mid-season announcement of no relegation that year.

The Leishman success was a passing phenomenon and our support would have regressed back towards the long-term mean, with or without him as manager. In the present day, the only way we get anywhere near those numbers is by being in the top divisioin with away supports pulling it up, but even then it won`t happen to that degree. Regardless of what happens on the park, we will never again average anywhere near 10000.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 12 May 09:39

I`m afraid I have to disagree with you on this, Socks. Other clubs have done it, and we can do it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Fri 12 May 10:30

Based on current population estimates, Edinburgh is ten times the size of Dunfermline and even if you split that base in two between Hearts and Hibs and say its 5 times the size its still a much bigger base.

With some folk always going to support Celtic and Rangers and Hearts and Hibs having been historically successful clubs which has a knock on impact of creating a historical support base in West Fife too, it makes it extremely difficult to expand our support. When we were being relatively successful under the Calderwood years, the board at the time were budgeting for average attendances of about 8k but we were hitting 6 to 6.5k.

For us to hit an average of 10k that would be about 18% of the population turning up which looks a lot higher than other cities even allowing for better away supports as other tip flight teams draw those fans too.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Fri 12 May 10:41

Our current pay at the gate price is £21 ,for category B games in the Premier League ,will be at least £25-26 ,and Cat A games old firm and Edinburgh teams probably £30 ,old firm games will be on tv ,so I doubt we would even sell out those games ,and our capacity is now just over 11,000

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Fri 12 May 11:33

Would be interesting to know the population of Dunfermline circa 1990 but it has gone up by about over 15k since 2000.Probably a few more Jam Tarts and Hibees though.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: JamesAndrew74  
Date:   Fri 12 May 11:54

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 12 May 09:39

I`m afraid I have to disagree with you on this, Socks. Other clubs have done it, and we can do it.

All skewed now as clubs include season ticket holders attending when they haven’t. I’m sure back then it was physical sales so the huge increases aren’t as good
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 12 May 12:35

Back in Leishman`s managerial time it was £4 adult walk up price (if memory serves) - now it`s £20.

Have incomes risen in proportion ?

Wishful thinking that EEP will be filled to those "good old days" levels again, except on a few occasions.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Fri 12 May 12:58

£4 in 1990 is around £12 today.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 12 May 15:11

Quote:

jake89, Fri 12 May 12:58

Says it all.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 May 10:59

Think Celtic losing yesterday means we have lost the fewest games from all the senior leagues in Scotland and England.

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Sun 14 May 11:17

Re average crowds, the capacity of our ground is a lot smaller than it used to be so we can no longer accommodate the massive old firm gates that we used to be able to get to boost the average.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Sun 14 May 14:07

Quote:

OzPar, Fri 12 May 09:39

Not sure. A lot of the reason for the 10000 average was the capacity of East End back then. 18,500 I remember.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Sun 14 May 15:02

Quote:

veteraneastender, Fri 12 May 15:11

Quote:

jake89, Fri 12 May 12:58

Says it all.

£4? Seems pretty low. Maybe when he took over in 1983?

£4 in 1983 is £16.80 with inflation.

A bit of a pointless comparison I suppose unless you can be absolutely certain about the price.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Sun 14 May 15:15

Aberdeen FC, with regular Top 4 Premiership finishes and no big club within 60 miles, have averaged 14k-16k over the last few years, boosted by 4 matches against Celtic and Rangers.

I very much doubt that those who do the finances for Dunfermline will be budgeting for 10k averages ...

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5: text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 May 17:23

I don`t know what the price was in 1990, but £4 is probably about right based on what I do remember with certainty.

In 94/95, in the first division, it was £6/£3. In 95/96 it went up to £7/£4, then went to £10/£5 in the premier division in 96/97. It certainly would have been less than £4 in 1983.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 May 18:18

At no point did I say we could average 10k at EEP; I said we could regularly achieve crowds of that order against the Old Firm, Hearts, Hibs, and other larger clubs like Aberdeen and United. In other words, in about half of our home matches when we eventually get to the premier league.

When I read the comments above, I see a perfect illustration of why Scotland so regularly underachieves. When presented with a challenge, the immediate instinct of the Scots is to list the obstacles rather than the opportunities.

We have a 12,000-capacity stadium, and for suitable games, we can fill our ground in the right circumstances.

Look at our home crowds this season in the third tier… Falkirk is not a big side, but we managed 9,500 against them because of a sense of excitement about the game.

Out of that crowd, how many fans were paying full price? Perhaps 50-60%? One of the reasons crowds have grown at EEP, where they have fallen elsewhere, is because we have incentive pricing for youths. So our board is wisely investing in our future fanbase.

This is a prime example of thinking outside the box and exceeding expectations.

This sort of thinking wins Leicester City the EPL or Denmark and Greece the Euro Championships. Or, in a more local example, a so-called "unknown" manager called Ange can turn immediate universal criticism into universal adoration in a year or two through positive thoughts and actions.

Dunfermline, Rosyth, Inverkeithing and the surrounding area have a population of around 90,000. And as we know from here, the Pars have fans regularly travelling from all over the central belt, sometimes further. So, realistically, you could say DAFC`s catchment area is, at the very least, all of Fife (population 375,000 at last count).

Seriously, folks, it`s time to think about the glass being half full rather than half empty.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 May 18:28

Agreed, Greece won with help from their massive fan base.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Sun 14 May 20:47

When I read the comments above, I see a perfect illustration of why Scotland so regularly underachieves. When presented with a challenge, the immediate instinct of the Scots is to list the obstacles rather than the opportunities.

Not all Scots to be fair ………but a sizeable proportion of the population for sure…..

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 14 May 23:45

Oz, you did say you disagreed with my comment and, given that there isn`t much to argue with in the first two paragraphs, it does read as if you disagree with me saying that we will never average near 10000 again. From other comments above it seems that others read it that way too. If you don`t see us averaging 10000 again either, I`m not sure what it is you disagree with in what I said?

I don`t think anyone doubts that we`re capable of getting decent numbers in some home games, but I also think those of us who have been regulars in recent years probably have a better perspective on it than someone who has watched from a distance for some time. For example, I remember a game against Hibs a few years ago where you seemed quite sure that the game would be a sell-out, despite everyone who was going to games saying there was no chance of that. I think the crowd was about 7000 that day, in line with what most expected.

Dundee Utd can bring good numbers when they`re going well or for a big game, but they`ve never once needed more than the 3000 spaces in the Cowden end since it was built. The biggest game against them in recent times was the playoff game in 2018, with about 6500 at the game. We are just not ever going to regularly get 10000 for games against them, though might manage it as a one-off for something like a play-off final or a Scottish Cup quarter final if both teams are going well.

And I don`t see that as an explanation for any underachievement. The only thing I can do to keep our attendances as high as possible is to keep going to games myself, and I have no plans to stop as long as my circumstances allow it. Whether or not I, or anyone else, agrees with your view on this ultimately makes no difference to how many people actually turn up.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 May 00:27

Topic Originator: OzPar like
Date: Sun 14 May 18:18

At no point did I say we could average 10k at EEP

Sorry, but I think you did....

Date: Fri 12 May 09:09

So, in this time, Hearts have increased their crowd by 46% and Hibs by 54%.
In 2000, the Pars were in the Premier too, and our average crowd then was 6.8k. So, to achieve 10k, our crowd would have to increase by 47% compared to then. If Hearts and Hibs can do it, then with the right approach, we can do it too.

We would all love to see the stadium near enough packed for every match, but sadly it`s not going to happen.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 15 May 06:48

Back to sock`s lost of teams he`s liked the looks of, I can`t disagree too much but would have Airdrie top. They gave us a right good game in the first match at EEP, and I remember thinking that they would well be in the hunt (think they then lost 0-6 v Edinburgh a week or so later! Shows you what we know!)
. They are also one of the few who managed to come back from a losing position in that game through a well taken goal by Frizell I think - usually when we went ahead we stayed ahead.

Crowds will be interesting next year. I think the NW will be pretty full most weeks which will help, and hopefully we get a fee more in the Norrie (which can look quite sparse even when there is a decent crowd in). I think my old man is considering going back to the Main Stand for next year so anyone in section A can get more of their pals along to the family section as the shouty man (me!) might be moving...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 May 06:53

I like to think I`m a reasonably optimistic person, but can`t help thinking that Oz`s optimism is more like wishful thinking.

Apart from that one season under Leishman, we`ve never broken the 10,000 ave attendance mark. That was down partially to the feel good factor after years in the lower leagues, but mainly because we were also in a league of 10 with the best supported clubs in the country, playing each twice at home. We were also in a relegation battle, making every point and game vital and as others have pointed out, the stadium capacity was much larger than it is now, meaning big crowds v Celtic and Rangers boosted the ave attendance.

We never got anywhere near this average in the early years of this century when we enjoyed relative success under the 2 Jimmys or in the 60s when we were challenging in the league, winning SCs and playing regularly in Europe. Stadium capacity then was around 25,000 and football was dirt cheap - as a child, I could get in and buy a programme for 2 shillings (10p). Of course the First Division consisted of 18 clubs playing each other home and away just once. The big home crowds v the big Glasgow and Edinburgh clubs were balanced by meagre attendances of 5 or 6,000 against the likes of Airdrie, East Stirlingshire, Stirling Albion and Third Lanark.

There are two main obstacles to consistently high attendances for provincial clubs nowadays;

One is the relatively high cost of watching football. When I started following the Pars in 1963, an adult could stand on the terracing for the equivalent of 6 Mars bars. How many can you buy now for £20?

The other is an age old problem. The vast majority of Scottish fans who regularly attend matches follow Celtic or Rangers. These allegiances are handed down to their children. I`m in local primary schools every week during the football season, coordinating the Pars Tackle Health programme. As an ice breaker, I usually ask the kids if they have a favourite Scottish team. It`s quite depressing. The Pars are at best a distant 3rd behind the Glasgow clubs. In RC schools, as you might expect, Celtic fans are the most numerous, in non denominational schools, Rangers fans hold sway with some real hotspots in villages like Kelty, Kincardine and Cowdenbeath.

How can we ever reverse this trend?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Mon 15 May 10:15

I don`t think we can. Success will bring you a bit more but I can`t ever see us filling East End on a weekly basis

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Mon 15 May 18:29

We are seeing a change in the amount of folk working Monday to Friday 9-5 has changed meaning Saturdays when they do get them off can`t always
a) be a home game
b) be spent at a football match

I know that I work 6 on 3 off so miss a good few games and with the chance of overtime meaning more money in the bank I can`t always justify taking it off to go to watch a game. This I`d assume wasn`t as big a thing back in the leishman era.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 May 18:54

I thought a lot of businesses were now squeezing their working week into Monday to Thursday? That`s what`s happened at my old firm since I retired.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 15 May 20:46

It`s hard to believe, especially when your team has a defence like a duck`s erchie, but Leicester have gone 21 consecutive games without a clean sheet.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 May 00:38

Stanza/Socks here`s what I said...

If progress on and off the field continues, I would not be surprised if crowds settled around the 7k mark within a couple of years. The key is attracting the younger folk, for they are the future.

My point about 10k is that it could be achievable in about half of our home games in a premier league containing the teams I mentioned.

Of course, pricing is an issue, especially in the premier, but if the club continues to invest in young fans and harnesses and develops the enthusiasm of the North West, does it matter that a sizeable proportion of your 80% full stadium is not paying full price?

A well-run club can recover revenue shortfall through increased merchandise sales and other marketing avenues. And, of course, TV money in the premier is much larger, and clubs become less reliant on gate money.

GG Riva asks how we can reverse the trends he mentioned. The answer to that is by not accepting these outcomes as a given. In other words, be proactive; what he does with schools` initiative is precisely that.

You may call my views "wishful thinking". I think it is because I live in Australia, where optimism tends to be a byword for success.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 May 01:26

Date: Tue 16 May 00:38

Stanza/Socks here`s what I said...

If progress on and off the field continues, I would not be surprised if crowds settled around the 7k mark within a couple of years. The key is attracting the younger folk, for they are the future.

My point about 10k is that it could be achievable in about half of our home games in a premier league containing the teams I mentioned.

OzPar, Had you left your comment at "settled around the 7k mark within a couple of years" I don`t think anyone would have taken issue with you, that`s a perfectly reasonable and achievable figure if we get back to the Premiership. Kilmarnock average about 6.5k in the Premiership and they are a similar club - similar achievements, similar over-sized stadium etc.

But you then went on to say that just as Hearts and Hibs had increased their average attendances by 46%/54%, with the right approach DAFC could do the same to get our average crowds up to 10k.

You`re now rowing back on that and saying that half our home games could reach 10k - I still think that`s a bit optimistic and would depend how well the big city clubs were doing when they came to EEP, but it`s a lot more achievable than an average of 10k.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 May 01:31

I give up!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 May 06:38

Quote:

OzPar, Tue 16 May 00:38

GG Riva asks how we can reverse the trends he mentioned. The answer to that is by not accepting these outcomes as a given. In other words, be proactive; what he does with schools` initiative is precisely that.

You may call my views "wishful thinking". I think it is because I live in Australia, where optimism tends to be a byword for success.

Oz, I didn`t mean to be insulting when I termed your admirable optimism as wishful thinking. There`s certainly no suggestion on my part that clubs like our own shouldn`t continuously strive to increase their fan base. The reality is that there is a glass ceiling for every club bar Rangers and Celtic, because they will always have a continuous stream of new fans, given their domestic dominance and sectarian traditions. The attendance at Parkhead and Ibrox often exceeds that of every other senior match put together each week. Factor in the way TV money is carved up and you can see why 40 of the 42 clubs have no chance of winning the League.

The schools initiative is aimed primarily at improving the health of local school children, by reinforcing the benefits of regular exercise and a balanced diet, which is already covered in the Health & Wellbeing curriculum. If it results in the club gaining some extra fans, that`s a very welcome bonus. I doubt these numbers will be very significant. The vast majority of kids who become fans are introduced to football by older family members or friends.

The vast majority of adult fans support one of two clubs.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 16 May 07:57

The battle for all clubs outside Celtic, Rangers, Hibs and Hearts is trying to convince local kids to support their local club rather than the club their dad supports.

That`s why these school initiatives are so important. Unfortunately, it won`t make a drastic difference. I see it at my kids school that there are Celtic and Hearts supporters because that`s who their dad`s support.

The target is probably the kids where the parents have no real interest in football or have come from out with Scotland. Even then, there`s a limit to how many you`ll attract. Dunfermline already punches above its weight in terms of attendances. The Masterton era displayed that even European nights (let`s not go there!) didn`t vastly improve crowds.

The community vibe the club is currently pushing is what will hopefully help things improve further. Might get some older kids wondering why they`re wearing a Rangers top when their dad only ever watches games on TV.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 May 08:34

A lot of these kids will want to go along when they hear their mates talking about the game on a Monday at school. What`s better than going to a football game?!
That was my thought as a kid and still is today. I can`t imagine I`m alone in that feeling.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 May 08:39

Agree with the above.

Would need some digging into stats but Livingston would be interesting; they`ve effectively had a full `generation` now of the free school tickets from the late 90s who will now be adults / parents themselves, wonder if there is any evidence to show growth in their attendances as they have yo-yo`d through the leagues.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par-91  
Date:   Tue 16 May 10:57

Quote:

EastEndTales, Tue 16 May 08:34

A lot of these kids will want to go along when they hear their mates talking about the game on a Monday at school. What`s better than going to a football game?!
That was my thought as a kid and still is today. I can`t imagine I`m alone in that feeling.

Agreed. This is why the cheap season tickets for younger fans also make sense. Get them hooked, make them want to keep coming back. Let them go to school/college/university/work and tell their friends about how great it is and encourage them to come along. They’ll struggle to find a cheaper activity that only costs £100 (or £50 for u18s) for 18 Saturdays a year!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 16 May 11:39

Quote:

par-91, Tue 16 May 10:57

Quote:

EastEndTales, Tue 16 May 08:34

Agreed. This is why the cheap season tickets for younger fans also make sense. Get them hooked, make them want to keep coming back. Let them go to school/college/university/work and tell their friends about how great it is and encourage them to come along. They’ll struggle to find a cheaper activity that only costs £100 (or £50 for u18s) for 18 Saturdays a year!

That is how I see it. Under 12’s at £18 is a no brainier as it causes the adults going to make a decision if they want a season ticket. If everyone takes up their previous season tickets options, could the the North West potentially be season ticket only locations next year.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 16 May 12:38

Quote:

TAFKA_Super_Petrie, Tue 16 May 08:39

Agree with the above.

Would need some digging into stats but Livingston would be interesting; they`ve effectively had a full `generation` now of the free school tickets from the late 90s who will now be adults / parents themselves, wonder if there is any evidence to show growth in their attendances as they have yo-yo`d through the leagues.

Livingston is probably an outstanding example of the polarised nature of Scottish football. A new town, with no real established tradition of having it`s own club. A large proportion of the population hail from the west, meaning even more cars and buses than from Dunfermline head through to Glasgow every week. As for free entry for U-12s, I`d add the following caveat; if the performances on the park are poor, these kids won`t keep coming to games.

Oh and another thing. We had to stop issuing these during our school visits because some were being used by unscrupulous adults....

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net