DAFC.net
Home 04 June 2023 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Go to Topic  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 17 May 21:56

I`ve just watched an outstanding performance by City who absolutely pulverised the European champions.

We have a thread on Airdrie v Hamilton and another about a Man U friendly in the summer, but none about a CL semi-final between two top sides. Go figure. 🤔



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Wed 17 May 22:09

The other two games have a Scottish theme…….

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Wed 17 May 22:13

No offence intended, GG. I know Man City is your "other" team but ...... 1) I don`t have Sky 2) Although I`ll watch the highlights when they appear on YouTube I rather despise the obscene sums of money associated with the Champions League and find the whole thing a bit of a turn-off and 3) I would rather see a good game at EEP any day in preference to this Greedy League nonsense.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Connor560  
Date:   Wed 17 May 22:18

City were phenomenal tonight, Real couldn`t really lay a glove. Think it was about 35 mins in and Real only made something like 47 passes, City had made 5 times that.

I know there is a lot of money been spent but Pep is an absolute genuis!

C'mon Ye Pars!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 18 May 00:36

Yes, definitely worth a thread here GG. I suppose this result was just waiting to happen. Man City playing out of their skin and Real Madrid blowing hot and cold. There was always the Benzema factor at the back of the mind but he and Modrich failed to turn up. Man City are a special team. Usually I find them boring because they are just too clinically good but not tonight. That was a master class.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 18 May 05:17

Quote:

yorkiepar, Wed 17 May 22:13

No offence intended, GG. I know Man City is your "other" team but ...... 1) I don`t have Sky 2) Although I`ll watch the highlights when they appear on YouTube I rather despise the obscene sums of money associated with the Champions League and find the whole thing a bit of a turn-off and 3) I would rather see a good game at EEP any day in preference to this Greedy League nonsense.


None taken, Yorkie. Like you, I`m a Pars fan through and through. Saw my first Pars game on November 2, 1963 - a 4-0 win over St Johnstone and I was hooked. I`ve seen City in the flesh once - a 4-1 home defeat to Liverpool - so I hardly qualify as a fan, but I like watching them when I can because they play the game so beautifully when they`re on song.

I take your point about the "obscene sums of money" but it`s impossible to escape that if you want to watch top class football nowadays. If the Pars had been playing last night, I`d have been at the game, tried to avoid hearing the score of the City game and watched a recording of it, either when I got home or this morning. It was on BT Sport, btw.

Desparado, a rather tenuous Scottish theme for Man U v Lyon, wouldn`t you agree? Are you alluding to the fact that this pre-season friendly is to be played at a Scottish rugby ground or the Auld Alliance? 🙂



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 18 May 07:46

I can`t quite reconcile why, on another thread, we`re lamenting the fact that so many locals support the Old Firm rather than the Pars but on this thread those of us who watched Airdrie v Hamilton on cooncil telly are being questioned as to why we didn`t aspire to watching a higher standard of game on subscription telly.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 18 May 09:36

I used to love the European Cup and the initial format of the Champions League when it was the Champions only who qualified.

Since its become a competition where a team that were nowhere near being Champions of their league are automatically placed in Groups while Champions of other national leagues have to go through qualifying ties, and the seeding system means it`s effectively the same teams playing each other every year, I have lost all interest. I could probably reel off the names of all the winners up to about 10 years ago, and now I couldn`t really think of any games I had seen.
It`s a pity, because it was a great competition once upon a time
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
-
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 18 May 09:43

Had the Championship playoff game on, forgot about the City game and had no idea the Airdrie game was on telly.

Really good game and Coventry well worth the win. Gyokeres looks like he will go onto bigger things, guy absolutely ragdolled the opposing centre backs.

---------------------------------------------------------------


"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Citizen Par  
Date:   Thu 18 May 10:20

A terrific performance last night by City for the full 90 minutes with the 1st half mesmerising. Real didn`t come close to competing on the day and not alot of people do that to them.

Let`s not underestimate Inter Milan either. It will be a tough final with a different set of emotions to deal with as well. Nerves for a start as City will be under so much pressure to win.

I wonder if there`s any chance Pars could get a pre-season v City game lined up at East End in preparation for winning the Championship next year.....Pars would certainly give them a tougher game than Real did 😉

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 18 May 10:47

Can`t stand watching City tbh. I can`t deny they are an outstanding team, arguably as good as there has been, but I tune into these games as a neutral and, I`m sorry, but watching one team with the ball ain`t that interesting to me. When a team like Madrid can`t muster more than 30% possession it`s not what i call entertainment. Didn`t enjoy watching Pep`s Barca either. On the rare occasions I watch a boxing match it`s nice to see both boxers hitting each other as opposed to 1 standing on the ropes with his hands up. Metaphorically nobody can lay a glove on them at the moment and, for the neutral, it`s boring.

I started watching last night but, by half-time, I too had switched over to the Coventry game which was, in contrast, a decent scrap.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 18 May 11:09

Quote:

red-star-par, Thu 18 May 09:36

I used to love the European Cup and the initial format of the Champions League when it was the Champions only who qualified.

Since its become a competition where a team that were nowhere near being Champions of their league are automatically placed in Groups while Champions of other national leagues have to go through qualifying ties, and the seeding system means it`s effectively the same teams playing each other every year, I have lost all interest. I could probably reel off the names of all the winners up to about 10 years ago, and now I couldn`t really think of any games I had seen.
It`s a pity, because it was a great competition once upon a time


I agree with every word.

Back in the day I was gripped by the European Cup and like RSP I could rhyme off the list of winners. Now I just don`t care.

Top clubs no longer represent their country or have players predominantly from that country - they are just playthings for unsavoury nation states and business conglomerates, filled with mercenaries and funded by merchandise sales and TV money (ie mainly by people who don`t watch live football.) Great skills, but I would rather go and watch Airdrie v Hamilton.

I know that on a much lower degree some of my criticism of the top clubs can also apply at all levels of football. So I won`t criticise anyone for preferring to watch the CL, but IMO something of value has been lost.

_________________

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5: text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Johan_Cruyff  
Date:   Thu 18 May 11:36

John Stones & Jack Grealish were absolutely brilliant last night - The way Pep makes good players better is really something to behold.

Regardless of money spent which is fair argument - he makes everyone a better player (for his system)

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 18 May 11:53

Thought City were mesmerising in the first half.

I don`t find it that interesting when they`re dismantling Nottingham Forest or Southampton but against a great Real Madrid side, with all the pressure of a CL semi-final, it was so impressive.

Maybe even more of an achievement than when his Barca side were sweeping aside all before them as they had Xavi, Iniesta and Messi - all of whom would have made everyone`s world XI over the best part of a decade. City have great players too but I don`t think they`re as far ahead based on raw talent.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: doctordandruff  
Date:   Thu 18 May 12:23

Have to say, first year I have had zero interest in the semi`s of a Champ league so doesnt surprise me no-one is talking about it. 3 fairly poor teams from Italy and Spain who are a mile from winning their domestic leagues, and the PSG of England. Next up the `Pep is the greatest manager of all time ever, changed the how the game is played` fawning garbage from the media.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Thu 18 May 12:56

`Greedy nonsense`.

1 Obscene amounts of money for sure but if it was the other way around with Scotland being the massive dominant league in Britain, would you really turn your nose up at Dunfermline receiving millions from TV revenue and sponsorship?

2 Nonsense it most certainly is not. Some of the football played by City was an absolute joy to witness, and even though the players earn more in a week than than the entire Pars team earn on a year, their work ethic is simply unparalleled.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: yorkiepar  
Date:   Thu 18 May 13:05

Didn`t describe Man City as "greedy nonsense", Kozma. It was the Champions League I was referring to.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 18 May 13:07

City’s Latinos were better than Real’s ?
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 18 May 13:17

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 18 May 07:46

I can`t quite reconcile why, on another thread, we`re lamenting the fact that so many locals support the Old Firm rather than the Pars but on this thread those of us who watched Airdrie v Hamilton on cooncil telly are being questioned as to why we didn`t aspire to watching a higher standard of game on subscription telly.


That`s quite a quantum leap, eck, although I suspect you`re just being a bit mischievous. The OP was merely expressing surprise that there wasn`t a thread on what is undoubtedly (in the eyes of many fans all over Europe and beyond) the biggest game of the season so far. There was no suggestion on my part that anyone should be supporting City or Real. You`ll perhaps forgive me for choosing to watch a CL semi-final over Airdrie v Hamilton. It was a no brainer for me, given the quality of football on view and I have absolutely no issue with those who chose to watch the Lanarkshire derby, even if they have access to BT Sport.

It`s different if you call yourself a Pars fan and choose to watch a game on TV rather than get along to the game, unless it`s for financial reasons. It`s my turn now to make a comment which some may find offensive but none is intended. I`ve seen posts with comments such as "If a CL game was being played in my back garden, I`d close the curtains."

Such posters leave themselves open to accusations of inverted snobbery.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 18 May 13:42

You quite often accuse me of being `mischievous`, provocative or stirring things up, GGR, but in truth I just express my point of view and don`t expect everyone to agree with it. I too was surprised there was no thread on the Man City/Real game as you`re usually the arch-promoter of the Champions League on here and, in due course, you didn`t let us down.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Thu 18 May 14:50

Grealish has been fantsastic.

Even at the top level, as an oulet, if you are knackered or under pressure it must be amazimg to have someone to give the ball to and know he`ll hold onto it, get you up the pitch and won`t give it away cheaply.

Some of the tackles he is on the receiving end of are scandalous but he just smiles, sorts his shinguards & socks and gets on with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------


"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 18 May 16:21

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 18 May 13:42

You quite often accuse me of being `mischievous`, provocative or stirring things up, GGR, but in truth I just express my point of view and don`t expect everyone to agree with it. I too was surprised there was no thread on the Man City/Real game as you`re usually the arch-promoter of the Champions League on here and, in due course, you didn`t let us down.


"Quite often..."? My memory must be even worse than I thought, eck. I can`t ever remember making even one such accusation, but can think of plenty of other posters who do. 😃

As for the rest, guilty as charged in previous seasons, but I`ve calmed down a bit this season, if I`m not mistaken. (I may do a wee search to see when my last such thread was.)

Eta. The only post I found from me referring to the CL was back in August 2022 - and it was started by NikNak Par. Give a dog a bad name, huh? 🤔



Not your average Sunday League player.


Post Edited (Thu 18 May 16:40)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 18 May 16:59

I like to watch sport at the highest level. That’s why I enjoy the Champions League and the EPL.

I like to watch the best players in the world playing golf.

I love watching the four tennis slams.

Last night, you had to marvel at how City dismantled a top class opponent in Real Madrid




It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983


Post Edited (Thu 18 May 17:00)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 18 May 17:02

Imagine wanting to discuss a top level mens fitba match on a fitba forum.

Whatever next....?

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Thu 18 May 17:03

Extract from an article by Jonathan Liew in the Guardian:

"And so one of the world’s richest states spends years trying to hire the world’s greatest coach, succeeds, and then gives him literally everything he needs. Every other club in the world, with the exception of Paris Saint-Germain, has to operate within the constraints of finance or fortune. Every other club in the world has flaws or problem areas that they can’t address right now, but hope to at some point in the future. Guardiola, by contrast, gets the staff he wants, the players he wants when he wants them, gets their replacements ahead of schedule.

So you don’t just sign Erling Haaland, you sign Julián Álvarez to give him a rest. Kalvin Phillips arrives for £45m, doesn’t play all season, and it’s fine. You decide – and just reflect on the breathtaking audacity of this for a second – that you need an upgrade on Phil Foden, and so up pops Jack Grealish. If someone accuses you of breaking the rules, you hire the world’s greatest lawyers to shoot them down. This is perfection, but not so much the perfection of great art as the perfection of a finely-executed military campaign, the perfection of unlimited wealth, the perfection of political strength, the perfection of a pointless mile-high crystal pyramid in the middle of the desert. No academy players and no Mancunians started for City last night. Does this matter? Does anything matter?

Nobody should begrudge City fans their joy at this point. This has been their journey and their success as much as anyone else’s, and with a little perspective they may even realise that they are not as hated as they sometimes assume. Rather, the overwhelming sensation here for the neutral is indifference, a shrug at the inexorable inevitability of hard power. Everybody in this sport is tainted a little, and even on this unlevel playing field City fans have earned their moment of consummate triumph. By the same token, nobody else is obliged to feel anything about it whatsoever."

_________________

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club when you shop online with one of 7000 firms: http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc
Or donate £5: text "DADSC" to 70970
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 18 May 17:12

That pretty much sums up my attitude towards it.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 18 May 18:32

Quote:

Stanza, Thu 18 May 17:03

Extract from an article by Jonathan Liew in the Guardian:

"And so one of the world’s richest states spends years trying to hire the world’s greatest coach, succeeds, and then gives him literally everything he needs. Every other club in the world, with the exception of Paris Saint-Germain, has to operate within the constraints of finance or fortune. Every other club in the world has flaws or problem areas that they can’t address right now, but hope to at some point in the future. Guardiola, by contrast, gets the staff he wants, the players he wants when he wants them, gets their replacements ahead of schedule.

So you don’t just sign Erling Haaland, you sign Julián Álvarez to give him a rest. Kalvin Phillips arrives for £45m, doesn’t play all season, and it’s fine. You decide – and just reflect on the breathtaking audacity of this for a second – that you need an upgrade on Phil Foden, and so up pops Jack Grealish. If someone accuses you of breaking the rules, you hire the world’s greatest lawyers to shoot them down. This is perfection, but not so much the perfection of great art as the perfection of a finely-executed military campaign, the perfection of unlimited wealth, the perfection of political strength, the perfection of a pointless mile-high crystal pyramid in the middle of the desert. No academy players and no Mancunians started for City last night. Does this matter? Does anything matter?

Nobody should begrudge City fans their joy at this point. This has been their journey and their success as much as anyone else’s, and with a little perspective they may even realise that they are not as hated as they sometimes assume. Rather, the overwhelming sensation here for the neutral is indifference, a shrug at the inexorable inevitability of hard power. Everybody in this sport is tainted a little, and even on this unlevel playing field City fans have earned their moment of consummate triumph. By the same token, nobody else is obliged to feel anything about it whatsoever."


Lazy lazy journalism for lazy/stupid football fans.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 18 May 18:45

I`m no lover of City or the Champions League but I like watching the best teams/players at the top of the game. City tick both boxes. If it wasn`t them signing these players some other club would.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 18 May 19:10

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/100-most-expensive-football-transfers-all-time/ikr3oojohla51fh9adq3qkwpu

As a point of reference on transfer fees.

And everybody`s favourite tournament, the net spend trophy:

https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city

Haaland and Alvarez combined cost £20m less than Darwin Nunez and £21m less than Antony and £10m less than United spent on Lukaku or £40m less than Chelsea spent on him.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 18 May 19:25

Quote:

londonparsfan, Thu 18 May 19:10

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/100-most-expensive-football-transfers-all-time/ikr3oojohla51fh9adq3qkwpu

As a point of reference on transfer fees.

And everybody`s favourite tournament, the net spend trophy:

https://www.football365.com/news/transfers-premier-league-five-year-net-spend-man-utd-man-city

Haaland and Alvarez combined cost £20m less than Darwin Nunez and £21m less than Antony and £10m less than United spent on Lukaku or £40m less than Chelsea spent on him.


It`s strange that City are fair game but no one on this forum ever takes a pop at United - apart from you right now, lpf. 🙂



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Thu 18 May 19:34

That actually wasn`t deliberate it was just examples that popped into my head on spending on attackers.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 18 May 21:00

Arsenal planning to spend £170m on Rice and Caicedo.
Won’t get the same headlines as City, though

Last 5 year net spend

Chelsea. £654m
Man Utd. £540m
Arsenal. £485m
West Ham. £356m
Newcastle. £351m
Spurs. £332m
Wolves. £276m
Villa. £271m
Liverpool. £254m
Man City. £224m




It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983


Post Edited (Thu 18 May 21:04)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Thu 18 May 23:00

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 18 May 21:00

Arsenal planning to spend £170m on Rice and Caicedo.
Won’t get the same headlines as City, though

Last 5 year net spend

Chelsea. £654m
Man Utd. £540m
Arsenal. £485m
West Ham. £356m
Newcastle. £351m
Spurs. £332m
Wolves. £276m
Villa. £271m
Liverpool. £254m
Man City. £224m


Is that transfer fees and/or wage bill?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference



[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Thu 18 May 23:09

They have spent more than any other club in Europe on transfers over the last 10 years (£1.7 billion 2012-22-£994m net) Man U were the only club in Europe with a greater net spend in that period.

Grealish, de Bruyne and Haaland on over £300k each a week for starters on top of that.In saying all that Chelsea have been throwing about the cash recently and it hasn`t done them any good.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Fri 19 May 00:01

Quote:

parsfan, Thu 18 May 23:00

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 18 May 21:00

Arsenal planning to spend £170m on Rice and Caicedo.
Won’t get the same headlines as City, though

Last 5 year net spend

Chelsea. £654m
Man Utd. £540m
Arsenal. £485m
West Ham. £356m
Newcastle. £351m
Spurs. £332m
Wolves. £276m
Villa. £271m
Liverpool. £254m
Man City. £224m


Is that transfer fees and/or wage bill?


Transfers only




It's bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 19 May 06:53

It seems to me that a fair number of PL clubs are throwing large sums of money around like confetti. Some of that undoubtedly comes from their owners with deep pockets, but it also comes from TV revenue, gate receipts and merchandising. As long as these sources continue to produce these vast sums of money, clubs will continue to spend it. The odd club may overstretch and get into trouble, especially if a rich owner pulls out and new backer cannot be found.

Fans of clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man City, Man U, Newcastle and Spurs, don`t really care where the money comes from, how much their club spends or pays its players - they just want to see their team win games and pick up trophies. I can`t understand the sanctimonious stance of folk who refuse to watch any CL or PL football, on the grounds that "obscene amounts of money" are sloshing around in those competitions. I`m broadly in line with Raymie and da no 1, in that I enjoy watching the best players in the world playing against each other for the top sides. This in no way detracts from my 60 year old love affair with the Pars, nor does it prevent me from attending their games.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: halbe  
Date:   Fri 19 May 07:35

"Rather, the overwhelming sensation here for the neutral is indifference, a shrug at the inexorable inevitability of hard power"

Just cant stand watching them...

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Fri 19 May 09:42

It`s interesting that in the US, the epitome of capitalism and the free market, they operate a draft system in major sports in an attempt to spread the talent around, encourage competition and reduce the likelihood of a few rich clubs dominating.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Fri 19 May 09:58

"It`s interesting that in the US, the epitome of capitalism and the free market, they operate a draft system in major sports in an attempt to spread the talent around, encourage competition and reduce the likelihood of a few rich clubs dominating."

... and so ironic that the vehemently left wing and socialist Celtic support couldn`t give a stuff about "competition" and " spreading the talent around" as they stand on the brink of yet another treble.



Post Edited (Fri 19 May 10:00)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 19 May 10:55

Quote:

1985Par, Fri 19 May 09:58

"It`s interesting that in the US, the epitome of capitalism and the free market, they operate a draft system in major sports in an attempt to spread the talent around, encourage competition and reduce the likelihood of a few rich clubs dominating."

... and so ironic that the vehemently left wing and socialist Celtic support couldn`t give a stuff about "competition" and " spreading the talent around" as they stand on the brink of yet another treble.



Aye, normal rules don`t apply when it`s your own team. I don`t think we`d be any different, tbh. (Maybe this topic is worth a separate thread?)



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 19 May 11:11

It`s an interesting chat I think. What defines your club and your attachment to it?

Personally when I look back at the eras I`ve been part of its Paton first, the late days of Leish second and current one third. As much as I admired the football we played and loads of the players we had at the time, the Calderwood era is forever tarnished for me. The success was built on false assumptions at best and pure financial fantasy at worst. It nearly killed the club.

How would it feel if I were a Man City fan? I don`t know is the honest answer. But it`s not the same Man City from a couple of decades ago, that`s for sure.

I think as a neutral it`s possible to separate out the issues and have two conflicting thoughts at the same time. On the one hand, we`re witnessing the sport being played at the very, very highest level. On the other hand, I absolutely deplore everything about the financial side (along with many others in that league, plus the big two in Spain plus PSG etc)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Man City v Real Madrid
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 19 May 11:19

Good post, Rusty. I`ve gone ahead with my threat to start a new thread on this issue. 🙂



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net