DAFC.net
Home 20 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Negativity
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 17:21

Not understanding the negativity so early on In the season .

We are in 4th spot if we wing our two games in hand, we can move into third .

We have what would normally be 5 first team choices, still out injured and close to returning .

Have some faith
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Negativity
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 18:23

Quote:

Rigger Al, Sun 5 Nov 17:21

Not understanding the negativity so early on In the season .

We are in 4th spot if we wing our two games in hand, we can move into third .

We have what would normally be 5 first team choices, still out injured and close to returning .

Have some faith

Agree. We almost beat Dundee Utd and deserved something from the last Raith game. That’s the two teams at the top. Granted we have problems with two very poor performances (PT and Ayr) , in converting chances into goals and our strikers are having a lean patch and we still have a few out injured and currently we lack height in defence. However, there is a long way to go and have a couple of games in hand. We have players like K R-H to come back and a couple of games where we maybe can get that bit of luck and can build confidence. We have a great spirit and cohesion in the squad and for me that is a big positive.
Yes it is a very competitive league, and it won’t be easy but if we can make the play offs - then there is always a chance. You have to believe you can do it to have a chance of doing it. I can’t see the likes of Sir Alex, Jock Stein or Roy Barry being so negative and giving up on promotion possibilities so early in the season. Let’s have some of that never give up spirit the Springboks showed to win the World Cup despite losing their first match.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 18:40

I can understand it. Our frontline is looking extremely weak and we are relying on the midfield to get us goals.

To me Wighton found his level last season he’s probably a better attacking midfielder than out and out striker (his stats in the championship and above don’t lie). Jakubiak is not a natural goal scorer. I worked at Dundee FC for a big part of last season and while he has some good touches and movement he doesn’t seem to get into goalscoring positions.

Our midfield seems a bit light too and needs a bit of steel especially when Bene is out.

After going 2-0 up at Morton they were shellshocked, a top team would’ve went in for the kill yet we could easily have lost that game if it wasn’t for some Do or Die 6 yard box defending.

While we did some decent business in the close season with the likes of KRH and Otoo coming in, we needed more, we needed to spend some of that money from the Nisbet sell on and get a proper goalscorer and a midfield general.

So yes I understand the negativity, if we can’t score goals regularly we are gonna drop points regularly

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: istvan kozma  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 18:59

We are 4th. If we finish 4th that would be a fantastic achievement.

KOZMA

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 19:03

Istvan nails it for me .. COYP

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 19:26

I don`t think there has been too much negativity, more concerns due to a lack of signings and frustrations about the injuries. It`s a shame we didn`t manage to bring in Ruairi Paton. I wasn`t too sure he`d make the step up but he`s scored 6 in 12 for an underperforming Queen`s Park side. He could have been the difference in the tight games against Ayr and Raith (twice). I think it`s clear how badly we miss Benedictus when he`s injured as well. He seems to organise the defence and we seem a lot less mistake prone when he plays. We are 4th with a game in hand over some teams though so it`s been a decent start. Hopefully when the injured players return we can go on a little run!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Parfect69  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 19:57

Quote:

istvan kozma, Sun 05 Nov 18:59

We are 4th. If we finish 4th that would be a fantastic achievement.

Absolutely this
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Sun 5 Nov 20:24

If we had a striker like Brian Graham we would be top of the table
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 06:18

Quote:

ParfectXI, Sun 5 Nov 18:40

I can understand it. Our frontline is looking extremely weak and we are relying on the midfield to get us goals.

To me Wighton found his level last season he’s probably a better attacking midfielder than out and out striker (his stats in the championship and above don’t lie). Jakubiak is not a natural goal scorer. I worked at Dundee FC for a big part of last season and while he has some good touches and movement he doesn’t seem to get into goalscoring positions.

Our midfield seems a bit light too and needs a bit of steel especially when Bene is out.

After going 2-0 up at Morton they were shellshocked, a top team would’ve went in for the kill yet we could easily have lost that game if it wasn’t for some Do or Die 6 yard box defending.

While we did some decent business in the close season with the likes of KRH and Otoo coming in, we needed more, we needed to spend some of that money from the Nisbet sell on and get a proper goalscorer and a midfield general.

So yes I understand the negativity, if we can’t score goals regularly we are gonna drop points regularly

Not trying to be smart, but it doesn`t really matter who scores our goals, does it? If our midfielders or defenders chip in, instead of our strikers, we can still pick up points. In an ideal world, our strikers would be among the goals every week, our midfielders would create them and our defenders would help our goalkeeper to make lots of shut outs.

It`s true our strikers haven`t scored many goals this season, but they have been involved in creating some. It`s still early in the season, Jakubiak is still settling in - let`s not write them all off yet. I said we`ll finish in the Top 4 in the predictions thread and feel reasonably confident we can if we steer clear of any further injuries to key players.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 06:46

I will be quite rightly celebrating when we are mathematically clear of relegation 👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 07:11

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Mon 6 Nov 06:46

I will be quite rightly celebrating when we are mathematically clear of relegation 👍

At least you used "when" rather than "if"; alwaysaPar, so you don`t belong in the Negativity Camp. 😀

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 10:16

I have to say I don`t think the negativity is all that bad really. Folk are entitled to have a pop if they think our recruitment hasn`t been great (which I disagree with) or if a couple of matches have been crap (which I do agree with). There`s a couple of punters who are relentlessly negative and I just tune them out (same with relentlessly positive too) but most folk are decent and just want what`s best for the club.

I think it`s a work of fiction to imagine us sustaining a title push versus someone with the resources of Dundee United unless they make a binfire of the season, which there`s no evidence to suggest that they will.

I also see no evidence to suggest we can`t compete with anyone else in the league and 3rd or 4th is absolutely achievable.

Absolute banter outcome this season is Raith finishing a clear second and us dumping them out the play offs.

I`m cautiously optimistic about next year with another year`s development of Otoo, KRH, Todd, Tod, Allen, Fisher etc.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 11:29

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 6 Nov 07:11

Quote:

alwaysaPar, Mon 6 Nov 06:46

At least you used "when" rather than "if"; alwaysaPar, so you don`t belong in the Negativity Camp. 😀

Spot on GG 🤣👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 11:30

Quote:

red-star-par, Sun 5 Nov 20:24

No, we really really wouldn`t
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RhinoPars  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 11:34

I agree ParfectXI - while Jakubiak holds the ball up well and has his strengths he doesn`t appear to be a natural goalscorer and the stats support this. Wighton has shown last season he has the ability to finish, but this season it hasn`t really worked out for him although some of that will be down to the service he is getting. Let`s hope after one or two go in, his confidence will get a boost and he will go on a roll. I also agree with Istvan, that for a first season back (and especially considering the horrendous injury record we have had so far this season); that getting into the playoffs in such a competitive league would be an achievement. My comments were more aimed at some who seem to have a defeatist attitude and have already given up hope we can do this. On our day we can beat anyone in this league. We still have to get R K-H and Matty Todd back too. Out lack of goals and failure to take enough of the chances we create have cost us so far this season. Hopefully things can improve, and it isn`t too long before we can get Kane R-H and Matty Todd back.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 11:36

People who are consistently negative about the club must really lead negative lives in general. Its only a game…

We could have had a win at Tannadice, 2 wins v the Rovers and at least a point v Ayr (had Jakubiak scored)…..all these games were decided by breaks of the ball not falling for us at the right times.

To think we are in a relegation scrap if we lose 1 more game after just 10 games really are panic merchants that should probably follow another sport 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 11:44

I am sure the club will have a target in mind albeit they are not advertising it. I think making the playoffs is achievable . Sitting 4th with the injuries we have keeps us on target. When the injured players return we should start to improve. At this stage, it shows we have the strength and flexibility in the squad to pick up results. Every cloud has a silver lining, and I think that our situation has given opportunities to the rest of the squad to get game time, improve, and become more experienced. We have a young squad, so with each passing game, they gain experience even if that means experiencing losing games. You have to crack a few eggs to make an omelette after all. Dundee Utd will have thrown a lot of money on gaining promotion. Lucky for them that they have it. All you can ask of the squad is to go out every game and try and win and give 100%. The 2nd half performance on Friday wasn`t great, but more importantly, it is the resilience they displayed. We know that the players have the skill. The mental toughness is less tangible and more difficult to build. I saw Fridays result as very much an indication of the teams determination to win. That was the biggest thing from my perspective. It could have been easier, but the goalkeeping error but backs to the wall to hold on to the win is another kind of positive experience the squad has faced up to.

Post Edited (Mon 06 Nov 13:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 12:12

Don`t see why talk of a relegation scrap has to be seen as negativity. If we know one thing about this league it`s that come March/April time the majority of teams will be looking both above and beneath them. Getting dragged into the relegation play -off mix is as much of a reality as the promotion playoffs in this tightest of tight leagues. There is no such thing as mid-table safety - it`s what makes this league so compelling. With the exception of Dundee Utd and Rovers I think most teams will have one eye on what`s going on beneath them. Is that not just the reality of the championship?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 13:10

Quote:

1985Par, Mon 6 Nov 12:12

Don`t see why talk of a relegation scrap has to be seen as negativity. If we know one thing about this league it`s that come March/April time the majority of teams will be looking both above and beneath them. Getting dragged into the relegation play -off mix is as much of a reality as the promotion playoffs in this tightest of tight leagues. There is no such thing as mid-table safety - it`s what makes this league so compelling. With the exception of Dundee Utd and Rovers I think most teams will have one eye on what`s going on beneath them. Is that not just the reality of the championship?

Spot on.It`s a tight league.In our last 6 seasons in the Championship only once, in 17/18 when Brechin and Dumbarton stunk the place out, have we been more than 10 points from a relegation playoff.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 13:20

Quote:

parathletic, Mon 6 Nov 13:10

Quote:

Spot on.It`s a tight league.In our last 6 seasons in the Championship only once, in 17/18 when Brechin and Dumbarton stunk the place out, have we been more than 10 points from a relegation playoff.

What about the 2 years we were in the playoffs? If we were only 10 points clear of safety it would still be virtually impossible for all the teams below us to catch and relegate us, although I`m sure someone on here would be sitting frantically working it out!

Post Edited (Mon 06 Nov 13:29)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 13:27

Quote:

The part that makes it negative is the fact that people just completely forget (or ignore) that we would only be 3 off the promotion play offs….panic merchants just looking for a reason to have a dig at the club/manager/players. The Morton game was a “must win” according to some in here, despite us having games in hand.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 13:32

I`d be worried if the word `relegation` cropped up in any discussions amongst the players and management team, especially at this stage of the season. Fans are entitled to their opinions but surely the omens are good rather than bad?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 13:41

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 6 Nov 13:20

Quote:

parathletic, Mon 6 Nov 13:10

Quote:

What about the 2 years we were in the playoffs? If we were only 10 points clear of safety it would still be virtually impossible for all the teams below us to catch and relegate us, although I`m sure someone on here would be sitting frantically working it out!

One was 17/18 which was the exception.

The other was Crawfords last season which was a shortened season.We had a great start and were top but with 5 games to go we were 6 points clear of relegation.We only lost one of our last 6 games which took us into 4th.

Post Edited (Mon 06 Nov 14:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 14:11

There is still a long way to go yet. We are 4th in the table with games in hand that hopefully we can take points from. In this league, I suppose to be realistic and transparent relegation is just as possible as a playoff spot. My gut tells me that once we have a full squad back, we are more than a match for any team in this league, and that includes Dundee Utd. On that basis, I believe a playoff spot is far more likely than a relegation battle for us this season. Whilst we are not the finished article and promotion would be a big ask, we are going in the right direction in my view.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 17:02

Good Post Indiapar

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AJ27  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 17:12

This league could be so tight (as is the case most seasons) we could conceivably be in a “relegation battle” for the vast majority of the season and still finish in a play off spot.

Andy J
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 18:45

There`s was one year last time round where, with three games to go, along with QoS, we were in a position where we could still be relegated or promoted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The universe is ruled by chance and indifference

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 20:53

Quote:

Andrew283, Mon 6 Nov 11:30

Quote:

With a couple more goals in either the Utd and raith games.....yes we could.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 21:36

Once we get everyone back we should mostly have a team of at least competent players at mid table level which should be enough. We really have no idea how the likes of KRH will fair at this level but he should make an impact just by putting some quality into the box.

The team from Friday with Bene in for Hamilton who moves into midfield and Todd coming in and Allan and chalmers coming out and McCann making way for KRH and I think that’s our best team.

If the midfielders help out with goals then we should be just about fine and should always be clear of the battle at the bottom, do we have enough upfront to make the difference in tight games against the better teams? No but that’s to be expected given the personal we have.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 21:50

Imagine the person you could be Berkey, with a more positive mental attitude. I feel depressed for you, reading your posts
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 23:21

Quote:

red-star-par, Mon 6 Nov 21:50

Imagine the person you could be Berkey, with a more positive mental attitude. I feel depressed for you, reading your posts

Nothing he has just said is incorrect 🙄
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 6 Nov 23:21

Quote:

PARrot, Mon 6 Nov 20:53

Quote:

Quote:

If my gran had wheels, she`d be a bike...
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Nov 01:51

Quote:

Andrew283, Mon 6 Nov 23:21

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Your smartass comment doesn`t alter the fact that Red Star was possibly correct and you were very likely wrong.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Nov 09:06

[Post Deleted] - Intimidating or offensive message
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Nov 09:55

Quote:

red-star-par, Tue 7 Nov 09:06

Quote:

Andrew283, Mon 6 Nov 23:21

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

deleted . . . . . .

See, if you`re going to insult my deceased family, at least try and be a little creative and now reword what I`ve just said. Absolute pleb
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Tue 7 Nov 10:08

As the originator of this thread ,before it gets out of hand, can someone please close this thread for my ,for some reason, I`m not able to do so
Appreciated
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Tue 7 Nov 10:24

Don`t see anything particularly negative in what Berkey said, still short of a goal scorer but if we can get our strongest team out most weeks then we *should* be nowhere near the bottom.

We were fortunate last year, between a good disciplinary record and very few injuries (credit to medical staff too) but no so far this year. Full spine of team missing effectively from GK, two centre halfs and our best midfielder.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 7 Nov 11:27

Quote:

red-star-par, Tue 7 Nov 09:06

[Post Deleted] - Intimidating or offensive message

Jings min he was obviously joking. You walked right into that Andrew.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Tue 7 Nov 12:24

I thought Paul Allan had a great game on Friday night!
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net