DAFC.net
Home 05 July 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Penalty to Rangers!
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 09:00

A Sellick fan pal of mine sent me this article from The Fitbaw Gospel:

"Rangers captain James Tavernier has now scored more penalties than any other player in the history of Scottish football. His 58th strike from the spot today means he takes over from Johnny `The Penalty King` Hubbard who scored 57 between 1949 and 1959.

Rangers have now had 6 penalties in their last 4 domestic games - with 5 in their last 3 league games. They have now also gone a UK record of 67 league games without conceding a penalty - made even more remarkable that it comes during the VAR era.

A testament to the discipline of the Rangers defence over the last two seasons."

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Penalty to Rangers!
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 09:03

Easy money most weeks just like a Chris Hamilton yellow card.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 09:29

I don’t subscribe to the hyped theory about Favouritism to the ugly sisters and penalties.
If a team plays a pressing game with70% possession and much of this in the opposition penalty area, what do people think will happen. More decisions will have to be made in the penalty area. It is actually a clever ploy of the big 2 against weaker teams when using VAR. play more possession in the opposing box and decisions will have to be made. If the weaker team doesn’t like it then press higher up the pitch.

As for controversial decisions then there will be a percentage that are wrong, but again the TOTAL number of wrong decisions will be higher as total number of decisions for the ugly sisters will be higher. That is why this whole thing to me is a bit of a joke as people focus on single incidents without looking at the complete picture.

If someone can show the stats of the following it would make more sense
1: Amount of time each ugly sister plays in opponent’s penalty box
2: Amount of time the opposition stays in the ugly sister’s penalty box.
Amount of decisions in case 1
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 09:33

Basically if there is a reasonable difference 8020 rule then I wouldn’t consider it worth worrying about.

Sorry previous post was being truncated for some reason

Post Edited (Wed 15 Nov 09:42)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Roobz  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 09:44

I don’t disagree with your point that teams who spend the most time in the opposing half and attack more are more likely to get penalties but surely the overall percentage of goals scored or conceded should be roughly the same?

If you score 80 goals a season and 10 of those are penalties then a team scoring 50 a year should get about 6. And the same goes at the other end of the park. It’s inconceivable that a team plays 67 matches and doesn’t commit a single foul in their own penalty box.

I’m not saying refs are inherently biased, but I do believe they are influenced by crowds and the thought of the controversy if they make a decision against either of the two biggest supports in the country makes them shy away from giving decisions.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 09:46

Quote:

Roobz, Wed 15 Nov 09:44

I don’t disagree with your point that teams who spend the most time in the opposing half and attack more are more likely to get penalties but surely the overall percentage of goals scored or conceded should be roughly the same?

If you score 80 goals a season and 10 of those are penalties then a team scoring 50 a year should get about 6. And the same goes at the other end of the park. It’s inconceivable that a team plays 67 matches and doesn’t commit a single foul in their own penalty box.

I’m not saying refs are inherently biased, but I do believe they are influenced by crowds and the thought of the controversy if they make a decision against either of the two biggest supports in the country makes them shy away from giving decisions.

Not true as you are equating number of goals to penalties. You have failed to consider time in the opposition penalty box. The two are not the same metric.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 09:50

I suggest that there are more penalties given now due to VAR and modern interpretations of “deliberate” hand ball offences.

In the so called good old days many/most would have been waived aside by referees.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 09:55

The first penalty they got on Sunday was an absolute joke.

What`s even more staggering is that they haven`t conceded a penalty in 67 games.....

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:03

Quote:

da_no_1, Wed 15 Nov 09:55

The first penalty they got on Sunday was an absolute joke.

What`s even more staggering is that they haven`t conceded a penalty in 67 games.....

Hi DA, has anyone done the stats on the numbers to provide the information that it is a joke. If we place the penalty you mention as “contentious” then what are the numbers?
Do they correlate to this bigger picture of a corruption.
What I suggest is to collate all of their 67 games, review the stats and do the numbers.
Without them we will always point to single cases. This doesn’t shed light on any potential issues in the system.

Post Edited (Wed 15 Nov 10:08)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:08

Rangers` propensity to win lots of penalties and concede few pre-dates the introduction of VAR and teams adopting `pressing` tactics.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:10

Quote:

wee eck, Wed 15 Nov 10:08

Rangers` propensity to win lots of penalties and concede few pre-dates the introduction of VAR and teams adopting `pressing` tactics.

Then we can stage the results before and after VAR introduction. This would be even better as then it could test the success of VAR
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:13

I`ve no idea mate.

What I do know with absolute certainty is that the 2 "contentious" penalty decisions that went against us in the last 2 games, involving Hammy & Lewis, would definitely have been given if they involved Rangers and probably Celtic also

Post Edited (Wed 15 Nov 10:13)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:17

I know I would look at this data for sure to validate VAR and to review the single instance cases to show how accurate VAR is (if it is accurate). However I probably give the SPFL more professionalism than they deserve.

Post Edited (Wed 15 Nov 10:19)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:31

If the narrative for winning more penalties is that it`s down to Rangers being an attack- minded team that spends a lot of time in their opponents` penalty area, it`s hard to argue with that. My pal says there should be similar domestic stats for Celtic, over the same time scale - they have won 10 of the last 11 league titles, after all. He maintains Celtic are around midtable, both for penalties awarded and conceded, although I haven`t seen the stats for that.

Tough one to explain if that is true......🤔

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 10:41

Maybe Celtic can learn from their opponents how they do it. For example, watch The Rangers defend shots in the penalty box before and after VAR. do they do anything different to Celtic, do they push the ball into the box earlier?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 11:14

Quote:

GG Riva, Wed 15 Nov 10:31

If the narrative for winning more penalties is that it`s down to Rangers being an attack- minded team that spends a lot of time in their opponents` penalty area, it`s hard to argue with that. My pal says there should be similar domestic stats for Celtic, over the same time scale - they have won 10 of the last 11 league titles, after all. He maintains Celtic are around midtable, both for penalties awarded and conceded, although I haven`t seen the stats for that.

Tough one to explain if that is true......🤔

There was a table posted on Twitter the other day with stats from aug 2020 to the 2nd of November this year. In that time Rangers have had 30 penalties awarded, Celtic are next on 26 then Aberdeen on 23, St mirren 19, Hibs 19, Hearts 18.

Conceded. Rangers 3, Celtic 14, Aberdeen 25, st Mirren 24, Hibs 22 and Hearts 12.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 14:32

Penalties were pretty evenly distributed over the whole of last season.

Hearts and Rangers 10
Aberdeen 9
Livi & St Mirren 8
Celtic, Motherwell and Dundee Utd 7
St Johnstone & Hibs 4
Killie and Ross County 2

The season before that Ross County had the most on 9, with Hearts on 8 and Rangers and Celtic 7.

Post Edited (Wed 15 Nov 14:40)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 16:34

Rangers will always be awarded penalties when they need them and will not concede them as long as match officials, and now the VAR operators, who support Rangers continue to be appointed for their games.
Until referees are required to declare allegiance the ridiculous statistics regarding Rangers penalty bias will continue.
Unfortunately the Scottish football bodies demand a strong Rangers to compete with Celtic to ensure its survival. Rangers can`t compete financially so relies on help from match officials.
Hence officials will never have to declare allegiance.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Stanza  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 16:43

I saw this on Facebook, with even more about Rangers` amazing (non) penalty record. You may be able to view it without a Facebook account, but I`ve copied the text below anyway.
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid0WG3z5ceZ2nQhieUGs8zAmz2S6hGkXs7SAdEQm8McVjYWJ8Zh8PaJ17muQhR9VRcYl&id=100071850737533

PENALTY TO RANGERS (part 2) Since our penalties post from yesterday is doing a bit of traction - we thought we’d break it down a bit more

⚽️- Rangers are currently on a British record run of 67 games without conceding a penalty in the league

⚽️- the world top flight record is 74 held by Barcelona in the 2011/12 - 2012/13 seasons (which is currently under investigation by Spanish FA)

⚽️- Barca averaged 80% possession during that time (Rangers averaged 58% during their run)

⚽️ - before the current 67 game run, Rangers went 44 league games without conceding a penalty

⚽️ - so they have only conceded 1 penalty in their last 112 league games

⚽️- Since August 2020 they have the highest penalty differential in Europe’s top 20 leagues, ie pens for minus pens against (as shown in the graph below)

⚽️ - Since the 20/21 season they have conceded a penalty on average every 42 league games (Celtic every 9 games)

⚽️- from 2018/19 season they have a penalty differential of +43 ( Celtic are +15 for the same period)

⚽️ - since 2018/19 Rangers have been awarded 52 penalties and conceded 9 (Celtic have had 39 and conceded 24)

⚽️ - Since last season (when VAR arrived in Scotland) Rangers have had 16 penalties in the league with 0 against (Celtic have had 12 with 7 against)

⚽️ - They are only team in a league with VAR that has never conceded a penalty since the technology was brought in anywhere in the world

⚽️ - If Rangers don’t concede a league penalty before the end of this year (8 games) then they will have set a new world record

⚽️ - James Tavernier is now in the top 10 for the most penalties scored of all time

⚽️ - out of everyone on the list the Rangers captain has the highest percentage of goals from penalties

Top 10 penalty takers and % of goals that are penalties (via TransferMrkt)

C. Ronaldo 157 (18%)

Messi 109 (14%)

Totti 86 (27%)

Ibrahimovic 85 (15%)

Del Piero 77 (22%)

Shearer 72 (18%)

Ronaldinho 70 (30%)

Cavani 61 (14%)

Lampard 60 (20%)

Tavernier 58 (48%)

Post Edited (Wed 15 Nov 16:52)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 17:13

Some staggering stats there!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 17:21

`so they have only conceded 1 penalty in their last 112 league games`

That is certainly staggering.

A shout out for Pars penalty king of the 1950s, George Duthie, whose 32 goals (in 200 games) were all so far as I can see scored from the penalty spot. I think he only missed one.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 18:00

The difference in the conceding numbers is so significant that it does make you wonder about bias.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 18:04

""Rangers captain James Tavernier has now scored more penalties than any other player in the history of Scottish football. His 58th strike from the spot today means he takes over from Johnny `The Penalty King` Hubbard who scored 57 between 1949 and 1959."

I remember seeing Hubbard take penalties when my parents took me to Ibrox as a boy. It was just a given that Hubbard would score. I see that the article GG refers to only credits him with 57 goals, but Wikipedia credits him with 65 goals from 68 penalties, a far higher success rate than Tavernier. I don`t know what is the correct figure.

Pub questions: Who was the first African to play in the European Cup? Who was the first African to score in the European Cup? Apparently the answer is Johnny Hubbard, born in Pretoria, South Africa.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 20:35

In Ibrox the VAR machine is called Brother VAR...allegedly.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Wed 15 Nov 21:44

What are you suggesting GG, that the masonic brotherhood is coming into play!!! And you were accusing me of paranoia???`

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 06:56

Quote:

Paralex, Wed 15 Nov 21:44

What are you suggesting GG, that the masonic brotherhood is coming into play!!! And you were accusing me of paranoia???`

I`m not suggesting anything, Paralex, and I certainly didn`t mention any secret organisation. 🤭 I merely put some remarkable stats (claims) out there and invited our fellow Pars fans to comment on them.

You`ll see that some folk have attempted to explain them, even regard them with a degree of contempt, while others have suggested that Rangers enjoy some sort of favourable bias. The starting point in any discussion must be to determine whether the information put forward is accurate or not. Is it not the case that the numbers in my OP are genuine?

The claims made by my (paranoid?) Celtic fan pal are just that claims, and I never suggested they were facts. I`m happy for others to confirm these claims or shoot them down, but they should be able to back them up with incontrovertible evidence. Curiously, some folk have used different starting points `re the Celtic stats, perhaps to support their stance on this debate. 🤔

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 08:10

It seems they are now closing in on a world all time record for games played without a penalty conceded. I suspect this further scrutiny this will receive if it goes beyond that will mean that they will concede a penalty in a game coming up soon. Probably in a game where they are 4 nil up with 2 minutes to go. Then they can reset the timer for another long run.

It`s like when they went on that long run of only ever been drawn at home in the cup. I think the odds of it happening were something like the same for winning the lottery jackpot twice. The game in Scotland is corrupt. Everyone knows it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 08:25

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 16 Nov 06:56

Quote:

I`m not suggesting anything, Paralex, and I certainly didn`t mention any secret organisation. 🤭 I merely put some remarkable stats (claims) out there and invited our fellow Pars fans to comment on them.

You`ll see that some folk have attempted to explain them, even regard them with a degree of contempt, while others have suggested that Rangers enjoy some sort of favourable bias. The starting point in any discussion must be to determine whether the information put forward is accurate or not. Is it not the case that the numbers in my OP are genuine?

The claims made by my (paranoid?) Celtic fan pal are just that claims, and I never suggested they were facts. I`m happy for others to confirm these claims or shoot them down, but they should be able to back them up with incontrovertible evidence. Curiously, some folk have used different starting points `re the Celtic stats, perhaps to support their stance on this debate. 🤔

The stats I posted weren’t mine. They were posted by an Aberdeen fan on Twitter after Rangers first penalty on Sunday. It was quite obvious from his further comments what his stance is on this debate.

Edit. Looking at Stanzas post, the table he posted a pic of is in the same format and the same date range as the one the Aberdeen fan posted on Twitter. His showed Scottish Premiership teams though as opposed to European teams in Stanzas pic. They must have been compiled by the same person.

https://x.com/kennyaberdeen/status/1723678351196340468?s=46

Post Edited (Thu 16 Nov 09:43)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 09:45

Quote:

red-star-par, Thu 16 Nov 08:10

It seems they are now closing in on a world all time record for games played without a penalty conceded. I suspect this further scrutiny this will receive if it goes beyond that will mean that they will concede a penalty in a game coming up soon. Probably in a game where they are 4 nil up with 2 minutes to go. Then they can reset the timer for another long run.

It`s like when they went on that long run of only ever been drawn at home in the cup. I think the odds of it happening were something like the same for winning the lottery jackpot twice. The game in Scotland is corrupt. Everyone knows it

After Kris Boyds embarrassing "performance" on Sunday its obvious that you can say pretty much whatever you want, including questioning non OF teams motivation and commitment, without fear of recrimination. He`s an absolute f@nny at times.

Also, while we`re on the subject of OF favouritism, it`s a scandal that Aberdeen are not initially being given an equal split of tickets for the league cup final. Cup finals should ALWAYS be as neutral an occasion as possible.

Post Edited (Thu 16 Nov 09:46)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 10:28

Quote:

allparone, Thu 16 Nov 08:25

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 16 Nov 06:56

Quote:

The stats I posted weren’t mine. They were posted by an Aberdeen fan on Twitter after Rangers first penalty on Sunday. It was quite obvious from his further comments what his stance is on this debate.

Edit. Looking at Stanzas post, the table he posted a pic of is in the same format and the same date range as the one the Aberdeen fan posted on Twitter. His showed Scottish Premiership teams though as opposed to European teams in Stanzas pic. They must have been compiled by the same person.

https://x.com/kennyaberdeen/status/1723678351196340468?s=46

I wasn`t having a go at anyone, allparone, but I can see how you might have taken umbrage at the last sentence in my previous post. I thought Stanza`s illustration gave quite a different perspective from the one you posted. Apologies if you felt I was having a pop at you.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 11:05

No worries but Stanzas stats were the exact same as mine. We got them from the same place. The only difference is that someone had added another stat that goes back to 2018 in his bullet points above his pic.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 11:21

To be clear, the stats I posted were not from my own research, they were taken from a Facebook Group called The Fitbaw Gospel.

It`s always a risk posting information from the Internet without an independent validation, but I thought the comparative lack of penalties given against Rangers was sufficiently significant to take that risk.

If anyone has alternative information that challenges the stats, then it would be worth seeing.

Support Dunfermline Athletic Disabled Supporters` Club (DADSC) when you shop online with one of 8000 firms: https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/dadsc[
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 15:30

Exactly what I said on the Celtic / Atletico post and was shot down in flames, referees, no matter how professional you think they are, can quite easily be swayed by the crowd, an aggressive management team or personal bias for that matter.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 15:44

Quote:

allparone, Thu 16 Nov 11:05

No worries but Stanzas stats were the exact same as mine. We got them from the same place. The only difference is that someone had added another stat that goes back to 2018 in his bullet points above his pic.

I didn`t realise both you and Stanza had quoted from the same source, but in my defence, his post is far more detailed and wide ranging. Leaving aside my antipathy towards Scotland`s Establishment club, some of the stats not a good read for any objective and fair-minded person.

I must concede that whoever compiled "Stanza's stats" is probably about as fond of Rangers as I am. 😄

Post Edited (Thu 16 Nov 16:02)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 15:54

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 16 Nov 15:30

Exactly what I said on the Celtic / Atletico post and was shot down in flames, referees, no matter how professional you think they are, can quite easily be swayed by the crowd, an aggressive management team or personal bias for that matter.

Oh, come on, Paralex. You gently had your leg pulled for saying you could see the fear in the ref`s eyes as he walked towards the monitor, prior to sending Maeda off. I agree that refs can be swayed by a noisy home crowd - they`re only human - but you picked a poor example above. In that incident, the ref was put under far more pressure by his VAR colleague than the crowd. Being called over to re-evaluate his decision is tantamount to telling him he`s made "a clear and obvious error."

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 18:07

Oh aye GG but even if he didn`t think he had made a clear and obvious error and was of a mind to stick to his guns, the sight of the player still writhing about, the noise of the partizan crowd and the mobster lookalike manager dancing about on the touchline and gesticulating for all he was worth, put an end to any remnant of justice he may have had.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 16 Nov 18:46

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 16 Nov 18:07

Oh aye GG but even if he didn`t think he had made a clear and obvious error and was of a mind to stick to his guns, the sight of the player still writhing about, the noise of the partizan crowd and the mobster lookalike manager dancing about on the touchline and gesticulating for all he was worth, put an end to any remnant of justice he may have had.

Can`t argue with any of that....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 13:58

Penalty to Rangers in added time and Tavernier scores the equaliser!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 14:05

How`d have thought it?🤔😲🙈
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: vasco  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 16:03

And another league game that they didn`t concede a penalty. What decade will this amazing run end?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG4  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 16:03

Like I said. Easy money.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 16:08

I here Andrew Dallas is in pole position to be named Rangers Player o4f the Year. 😀

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 16:43

You have to wonder about the football intelligence of some players to so blatantly pull an opponent`s jersey in th box now that we have var in operation.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 16:56

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 26 Nov 16:43

You have to wonder about the football intelligence of some players to so blatantly pull an opponent`s jersey in th box now that we have var in operation.

You see them not given though. Rangers got one today and Celtic got one for the same thing yesterday. I’d doubt that Aberdeen and Motherwell would have got one if it had happened at the other end.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 19:15

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 26 Nov 16:43

Doesnt help when Goldson goes down after his shirts been released like he has been shot…refs need to also clamp down on that.

It should be like the NFL - there were 2 fouls in the box in that incident - the tug and the clear block by Lammers. If 2 fouls are committed, 1 on either side, it should even out and nullify each other.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 19:46

"If 2 fouls are committed, 1 on either side, it should even out and nullify each other."

The first offence should be penalised.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ormiston_Par  
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 22:43

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 09:05

GG, you`ll have to ask your Sellick minded friend what he thinks about penalties now after Celtic get two more last night bringing their league total to twelve, three more than their city rivals.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: FRED1981  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 14:35

That equals up with Sevco penalties against Goldson plays basketball in the box every so many games ,the only way he is getting penalised if he grabs the ball with both hands.

F muller
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 14:38

"GG, you`ll have to ask your Sellick minded friend what he thinks about penalties now after Celtic get two more last night bringing their league total to twelve, three more than their city rivals."

if you see both those incidents and don`t think they are penalties then I suggest another look at laws of the game and not relying on your own opinion of whether or not it should be a pen.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 15:38

P P The first Tic penalty was a clash of heads .. now if the ref thought it was intentional by the hibs defender he should have been red carded

Post Edited (Fri 09 Feb 10:25)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 16:25

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Thu 8 Feb 09:05

GG, you`ll have to ask your Sellick minded friend what he thinks about penalties now after Celtic get two more last night bringing their league total to twelve, three more than their city rivals.

No doubt he`ll claim they were stonewallers, TOWK. 🙄

I didn`t see the game, but from what I`ve heard from another pal of mine, Celtic were awful. They`re probably going to need two pens every week to have a chance of retaining the title. Rodgers is perhaps not quite the manager he was cracked up to be. 🤔

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 16:29

PP, I didn`t offer any opinion on the validity of the penalties last night. I assume they were both legitimate and warranted, especially in this var age, I was merely wondering if GGs friend agrees or if it`s only when the opposite backside cheek gets penalties that they think its dubious.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 22:34

Quote:

Buspasspar, Thu 8 Feb 15:38

P P The first Tic penalty was a clash of heads .. now if the ref thought it was intentional by the hibs defender he should have been re carded

Is that not the double jeopardy rule coming into play? You can’t concede a penalty and be sent off ?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Thu 08 Feb 22:34)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 23:00

Can`t say I`ve ever seen a penalty being given for a clash of heads before. Albeit the Celtic player got his head to the ball and the Hibs defender head butted the Celtic player. Not at all intentional for who would deliberately risk a head injury by forcing a head clash with another player. Even my died in the wool Celtic chum thought it was a very dodgy call by the ref.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 01:45

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 8 Feb 22:34

Quote:

P P The first Tic penalty was a clash of heads .. now if the ref thought it was intentional by the hibs defender he should have been re carded

Is that not the double jeopardy rule coming into play? You can’t concede a penalty and be sent off ?

I haven`t seen the incident so can`t comment on it - it may have come under the double jeopardy rule.

But Raymie`s suggestion that "You can’t concede a penalty and be sent off ?" is surely too sweeping.

My understanding is that double jeopardy only applies if there is a genuine attempt to play the ball that results in a foul. So, at the extreme, if a defender launches a Cantona-type assault on an attacker in the box he will be red-carded and a penalty will be awarded.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 09:58

Quote:

Stanza, Fri 9 Feb 01:45

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Thu 8 Feb 22:34

Quote:

I haven`t seen the incident so can`t comment on it - it may have come under the double jeopardy rule.

But Raymie`s suggestion that "You can’t concede a penalty and be sent off ?" is surely too sweeping.

My understanding is that double jeopardy only applies if there is a genuine attempt to play the ball that results in a foul. So, at the extreme, if a defender launches a Cantona-type assault on an attacker in the box he will be red-carded and a penalty will be awarded.

Correct Stanza - if deemed to make proper attempt at ball, with potential to win it, its double jeopardy. But you can still be red carded for some incidents, including keepers.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 11:05

"As a St Mirren player, I became aware of the dominance of the two teams ( Rangers and Celtic) that seemed to permeate everything and everyone - especially referees` judgements. A few minutes added on for injuries that didn`t happen, a penalty awarded for a hard but fair tackle, a handball ignored - all the stuff that the pundits argue about endlessly after the match. But, as a player, take it from me that many Scottish referees favour Rangers and Celtic. It could be religious bias or plain fear at the enormity of their support. Don`t ask me why - it is just so. For all other teams it`s like starting a goal behind."

Frank McAvennie

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net