DAFC.net
Home 27 July 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Terry Venables
Topic Originator: NikNakPar  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 12:50

Passed away at the age of 80 after a long illness.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Terry Venables
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 17:45

That`s sad news.

Not sure if it`s been equalled as a record - but he was capped by England at all 5 levels, as then available, from schoolboy to full international.

RIP El Tel

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sammer  
Date:   Sun 26 Nov 23:42

I think Jimmy Greaves scored at all these five levels. And he was a much better player than Terry Venables.

Venables comes into the same category as Londoners who are puffed up by the media beyond their abilities. Johnny Haynes, Graeme Hoddle and David Beckham were all high quality players but made into world beaters by the English media. The problem is they won nothing at international level. Only Bobby Moore, and perhaps Greaves, really passed that test in my opinion.

As a manager Venables did well, but he changed nothing in the way football was played so far as I could see. He was George Farm rather than Jock Stein.

sammer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 01:41

Nobody was able to match Venables record of being capped at 5 levels as one was the England amateur team that has since been disbanded.
As far as I`m aware Greaves was only capped at 2 levels for England -the full team and under 23s? He wasn`t capped at Schoolboy or youth level either.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 07:52

Quote:

sammer, Sun 26 Nov 23:42

I think Jimmy Greaves scored at all these five levels. And he was a much better player than Terry Venables.

Venables comes into the same category as Londoners who are puffed up by the media beyond their abilities. Johnny Haynes, Graeme Hoddle and David Beckham were all high quality players but made into world beaters by the English media. The problem is they won nothing at international level. Only Bobby Moore, and perhaps Greaves, really passed that test in my opinion.

As a manager Venables did well, but he changed nothing in the way football was played so far as I could see. He was George Farm rather than Jock Stein.

Beckham was world class
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 08:56

Absolutely, boy wouldn`t have had the career he did without being one of the best.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Neil_Philp  
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 11:32

Beckham was one of the best players in the world from 1998-2002. Genuinely world class.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 11:47

Presumably Sammer also means Glenn Hoddle unless Graeme Hoddle was a player in the 1800s? If so Clough,Cruyff, Bergkamp, Wenger etc had a different opinion.

https://thesefootballtimes.co/2020/03/30/glenn-hoddle-and-the-stint-at-monaco-that-had-wenger-cruyff-and-platini-purring/

Post Edited (Mon 27 Nov 11:47)
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 13:36

"As a manager Venables did well, but he changed nothing in the way football was played so far as I could see. He was George Farm rather than Jock Stein."

Think that`s being harsh. Learned a lot at Barcelona where he is still seen as a great manager, then brought that to England and made a few tactical tweaks mid tournament during Euro 96 (where England were poor in the opening game v Switzerland). Speak to any player or coach around then and they`ll say that he was very tactically astute and not at all like the cheeky cockney chappy persona who people think was only there to keep spirits high.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 27 Nov 17:52

Terry Venables was a bit of an author on the side - co-wrote "Hazell" which became a popular TV series.

He wrote under the name P.B.Yuill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQyryhdvWBQ

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Tue 28 Nov 19:37

He struggled / failed to beat Dundee Utd ,home and away

Post Edited (Tue 28 Nov 19:48)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net