DAFC.net
Home 02 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Twitter Updates  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 16:21

A casual glance at the Scottish Premiership table is eerily reminiscent of the table of the 2002/3 season, going into the final round of games. Then, as now, both Celtic and Rangers were tied on points and had almost identical GDs. Still a long way to go this season, but if it happened before, it could happen again.

Apologies for reminding Pars fans of this but our team visited Ibrox and Celtic were at Rugby Park. A 4-0 victory for Celtic was not enough to secure the title because the Pars lost 6-1 at Ibrox, so Rangers were Champions by a single goal. There followed lots of conspiracy theories and allegations that Jimmy Calderwood had set the Pars up to lose heavily because he was "a Rangers man."

I was sure the SPL bosses would have wanted to ensure such an unnecessary state of affairs could ever happen again, by adding extra layers to separate teams level on points and GD, such as H2H records, but no, more than 20 years on nothing has changed. In 2003, there had been talk of a playoff between the Ugly Sisters if they had finished level on points, GD and goals scored and conceded.

Strangely, the Glasgow Polis were none to chuffed at the prospect.



Not your average Sunday League player.


Post Edited (Wed 07 Feb 17:25)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: eastendalloapar  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 16:27

From what I remember we normally played a back 5 against the old firm. We didn`t that day, plus Jason Dair scored for us but I don`t think that he every played fo us again! Was that a punishment from JC.

matt forsyth
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 16:32

Often forgotten is the fact that Celtic missed a penalty that day too. Obviously it was all our fault.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 16:47

If memory serves, in the Ibrox encounter, Klos had an outstanding save from a Brewester effort that was heading for the top corner in the second half.

Obviously that would have changed the respective comparative scorelines had it gone in.

Maybe even more significant was Alan Thompson making a right erse of a second penalty at Rugby Park - conveniently forgotten by the Celtic conspiracy theorists led by principal numptie Chris Sutton.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: gthyde  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 16:53

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 7 Feb 16:47

If memory serves, in the Ibrox encounter, Klos had an outstanding save from a Brewester effort that was heading for the top corner in the second half.

Obviously that would have changed the respective comparative scorelines had it gone in.

Maybe even more significant was Alan Thompson making a right erse of a second penalty at Rugby Park - conveniently forgotten by the Celtic conspiracy theorists led by principal numptie Chris Sutton.


Correct about klos save. Also prior to that weekend Celtic bear Dundee I think 6-1 with Dundee scoring a late consolation. Nothing is said about that game or Dundee lying down even when it was a similar scoreline

Post Edited (Wed 07 Feb 16:53)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: General Zod  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 17:07

Everyone seems to forget some Celtic players having a go at Gordon Marshall for putting in too much of an effort for Kilmarnock. Him lying down was ok but not us. Also, we almost always got an absolute battering from both old firm teams back then.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 18:01

Deja Poo

When you’re sure you’re heard this ‘laying down’ shiiite before

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 18:52

Quote:

gthyde, Wed 7 Feb 16:53

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 7 Feb 16:47

If memory serves, in the Ibrox encounter, Klos had an outstanding save from a Brewester effort that was heading for the top corner in the second half.

Obviously that would have changed the respective comparative scorelines had it gone in.

Maybe even more significant was Alan Thompson making a right erse of a second penalty at Rugby Park - conveniently forgotten by the Celtic conspiracy theorists led by principal numptie Chris Sutton.


Correct about klos save. Also prior to that weekend Celtic bear Dundee I think 6-1 with Dundee scoring a late consolation. Nothing is said about that game or Dundee lying down even when it was a similar scoreline


I thought the score was lower for Celtic. I vividly remember the commentators saying that Celtic should have won by a barrowload that day. The commentators actually said that Celtic may regret the missed chances.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
-
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 18:58

Alan Thompson missed Celtics penalty but of course it was all our fault.

Can`t remember Sutton / Celtic fans complaining when THEY beat us 6 - 0 /8 -1 etc.

We regularly lose by barrowloads to both sides but that was the only time I recall us ever being accused of "lying down"

Still can`t stand Sutton .....


COME ON YE PARS!


Post Edited (Wed 07 Feb 18:59)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 20:10

to be honest, I`ve forgiven Sutton for this - it was heat of the moment stuff and, frankly, anyone who thinks the Scottish Football wasn`t, and isn`t, biased towards Rangers (perhaps unconsciously so) at that time wasn`t there. I mean - a few years prior to that the head honcho of the SFA had to resign because he consciously, and deliberately, delayed Celtic`s signing of Cadete. I don`t like that he targeted Dunfermline, but I can understand why he said what he said.

but now, in fairness to him, he sticks his neck out and champions Scottish Football down South, when everyone else sticks the boot in and calls us a diddy league. I give him huge credit for that.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: d3monstrate  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 20:15

Larsson also hit the post when clean through one on one with the keeper late on if I remember rightly?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 21:12

I never thought we lay down that day and I was no fan of Calderwood. We were right in the game until after that save from Klos which would have made it 2-2 had it went in.
We then crumbled to be fair losing goals in quick succession
We weren’t there to help Celtic who, as said missed a penalty.
Their fans were paranoid as usual though.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: gthyde  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 22:39

Quote:

parsmad68, Wed 7 Feb 18:52

Quote:

gthyde, Wed 7 Feb 16:53

Quote:

veteraneastender, Wed 7 Feb 16:47

If memory serves, in the Ibrox encounter, Klos had an outstanding save from a Brewester effort that was heading for the top corner in the second half.

Obviously that would have changed the respective comparative scorelines had it gone in.

Maybe even more significant was Alan Thompson making a right erse of a second penalty at Rugby Park - conveniently forgotten by the Celtic conspiracy theorists led by principal numptie Chris Sutton.


Correct about klos save. Also prior to that weekend Celtic bear Dundee I think 6-1 with Dundee scoring a late consolation. Nothing is said about that game or Dundee lying down even when it was a similar scoreline


I thought the score was lower for Celtic. I vividly remember the commentators saying that Celtic should have won by a barrowload that day. The commentators actually said that Celtic may regret the missed chances.


Just checked it was 6-2 to Celtic v Dundee in their 2nd last league game. Dundee scored in the 90th minute though
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 22:43

"to be honest, I`ve forgiven Sutton for this - it was heat of the moment stuff..."

Except that after the dust had settled he still refused to apologise - and was therefore given an extra one game ban by the SFA to add to the four game suspension for abuse directed at the Rugby Park match officials.

He did eventually recant later - but that would be reluctantly through gritted teeth most likely.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: SusieQ  
Date:   Wed 7 Feb 23:53

I wasn`t at Ibrox that day as I was working. When I got home, we were already losing heavily so watched the Celtic game instead to see if they`d win (both games were shown simultaneously)

My jaw hit the floor as I watched Sutton`s interview live.

Absolutely do not forgive him, even this many years later - his unnecessary comments had consequences.

Not only did he accuse his fellow professionals of cheating, there was also the death threats to our players & after the first game at EEP the next season, some neanderthals decided to chuck rocks & boulders at us leaving the NW at the end of the match.

To this day, I find it incredible that a team who regularly lost heavily at Ibrox and Parkhead were suddenly cheats, whereas a team that usually gave the OF a hard game, especially at home, suddenly shipped 4 goals, which should have been 5, had Thompson not missed, suffered zero scrutiny.

Of course, neither us nor Killie cheated or lay down that day, so for anyone to suggest otherwise IS unforgivable imo.


COME ON YE PARS!
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 07:15

Celtic wanted to use their own ball boys at Killie that day.
Says it all. Both sides are utter paranoid scum.

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 07:24

My intention on starting this thread was quite different to the way it`s gone.

Nothing has changed since 2003. It`s not beyond the realms of possibility that Celtic and Rangers could go into the last game of the season level on points, with similar if not identical GDs and it`s all down to who can bag the bigger win on the day. Why should the unfortunate teams lined up to meet the Ugly Sisters be set up to have the same accusations levelled at them as the Pars had to suffer back then?

In Italy, they`re so scared of corruption that GD is much further down the pecking order. H2H may count in certain circumstances, otherwise teams finishing level on points have a playoff to determine final placings.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: Big T Par  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 09:55

Quote:

SusieQ, Wed 7 Feb 23:53

I wasn`t at Ibrox that day as I was working. When I got home, we were already losing heavily so watched the Celtic game instead to see if they`d win (both games were shown simultaneously)

My jaw hit the floor as I watched Sutton`s interview live.

Absolutely do not forgive him, even this many years later - his unnecessary comments had consequences.

Not only did he accuse his fellow professionals of cheating, there was also the death threats to our players & after the first game at EEP the next season, some neanderthals decided to chuck rocks & boulders at us leaving the NW at the end of the match.

To this day, I find it incredible that a team who regularly lost heavily at Ibrox and Parkhead were suddenly cheats, whereas a team that usually gave the OF a hard game, especially at home, suddenly shipped 4 goals, which should have been 5, had Thompson not missed, suffered zero scrutiny.

Of course, neither us nor Killie cheated or lay down that day, so for anyone to suggest otherwise IS unforgivable imo.


My dad got hit on the head, that day. Scum.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 10:09

"....there was also the death threats to our players..."

I thought it was only Derek Stillie ?

His situation did get media coverage as the numptie who made the threat put his name on the letter apparently !!!

Didn`t Sutton`s 5 game ban mean that he couldn`t turn out for Celtic in the early season game at EEP ?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 12:07

Pretty sure he played in the 0 0 opener the following season.

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 12:08

EDIT just checked and he wasn`t in the squad.

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 13:35

Neither Celtic as a club or Martin O`Neil made an apology, yet Dunfermline and Yorkston had to make an apology to Celtic about comments made re Bobo Balde, comments proved true by later events .

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 8 Feb 13:59

Did Balde break that Leicester players leg before or after Yorkston`s remark? Wesolowski I think his name was.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 10:06

In fairness the Bobo Balde comment was just as ridiculous.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 10:37

I mind listening to Yorkston’s comments on the car radio - what a car crash of an interview.

He was well out of order.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 12:21

Yorkie was saying tongue half in cheek. As always, got blown up out of proportion.
Balde WAS dangerous though, if anyone actually watched him they`d know.

Ep.14 of East End Tales is out now- The Draft

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14182410
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 12:27

It certainly didn`t come over that way.

it was ill judged to say anything along those lines on national radio.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 14:44

Was a great album back in the day...CSNY!✌️
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 16:09

Comparing Yorkston`s joke with Sutton`s assertion was and still is ludicrous.

Quote:

LochgellyAlbert, Fri 9 Feb 14:44

Was a great album back in the day...CSNY!✌️


🙂 Love it! and the first CSN album.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 16:23

Thing is, if H2H had been prioritised before GD when teams finish level on points, we wouldn`t have had to put up with all that conspiracy crap. It wouldn`t have mattered how may goals the Pars or Killie shipped that day.

Even more surprising is the fact that the SPFL bosses haven`t changed anything, so it could all happen again as early as next May.

At least it won`t be the Pars who are lined up for the slaughter.



Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Dèjá Vu?
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Fri 9 Feb 20:35

"At least it won`t be the Pars who are lined up for the slaughter."

Could also be two teams finishing bottom of the league with identical records I suppose.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 


Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:
   
 Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net