DAFC.net
Home 08 May 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Jo chalmers
Topic Originator: forever black and white  
Date:   Sat 10 Feb 22:53

Can someone explain to me what he actually contributes to a game. Was out his depth in the championship first time round. OK in the 1st division but once again showing he is out his depth in this league this time round. Light weight, no physicality, goes backwards more than forwards, cant run and I can`t remember the last time he even looked like scoring . Has to be one of the worst midfielders on a two year contract I`ve seen at East End in a long time .

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Jo chalmers
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Sat 10 Feb 23:30

He is utterly gash, and way below the standard needed at championship level. Needs to be moved on in the summer if we manage to stay up.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: gordi-b  
Date:   Sat 10 Feb 23:46

Total waste of a jersey, no heart , watches opposition players run past him can,t tackle , just don,t see what Mcpake see,s in him, not even a good 1st div player

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Sat 10 Feb 23:58

Did anyone watch McCann today !!! Pathetic ,watching thru pars tv .didn`t look interested, walking more than running ,head down,something wrong here ,
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 00:01

Joe Chalmers was nowhere near the worst Dunfermline player today.

How do boys like Edwards escape criticism? Hamilton was terrible today and McCann dreadful so why just Chalmers
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 00:03

Joe actually produced the only defence splitting pass of the first half when a decent centre forward would have scored.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 00:18

Ffs if Jo chalmers wasn`t the worst player on the park the problems are bigger than I thought. Christ ma granny`s has more oomph doing her nitting

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Toddyrov  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 00:31

I get people go over the top with Chalmers but the main point of him not being good enough is true. He’s one of the more experienced players and people ghost through our midfield on a weekly basis

Effe
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 00:40

Quote:

LEGEND85, Sun 11 Feb 00:01

Joe Chalmers was nowhere near the worst Dunfermline player today.

How do boys like Edwards escape criticism? Hamilton was terrible today and McCann dreadful so why just Chalmers

Hamilton? The boy is playing (once again) out of position. With an unhealed broken cheek because he`s a competitor who bleeds black and white. He should never ever be mentioned in the same bracket as McCann or Chalmers. He doesn`t run away from the ball for instance. He`d be under considerably less pressure too if Chalmers didn`t pass every single ball BACK the way.

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NiallDAFC  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 00:43

Realistically the only players in our squad good enough for this level are -

Bene (injured)
Breen (injured)
Todd (injured)
Hammy
Edwards
Etoo
Comrie (Not done that well this season tho imo then again who has)

Not seen enough of KRH, Fisher or Tod yet at this level but believe they will improve us when fit.

Out of a full squad that’s pretty grim..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 03:55

Quote:

NiallDAFC, Sun 11 Feb 00:43

Bene (injured)
Breen (injured)
Todd (injured)
Hammy
Edwards
Etoo

Not seen enough of KRH, Fisher or Tod yet at this level but believe they will improve us when fit.

I`ve yet to see Otoo, todd and breen perform well at championship level either?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 06:24

Quote:

NiallDAFC, Sun 11 Feb 00:43

Bene (injured)
Breen (injured)
Todd (injured)
Hammy
Edwards
Etoo

Breen who plays 1 game and is injured for 4. He doesn`t play enough to see if he will be good enough.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: adj27  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 06:57

We were poor all over the park yesterday but Chalmers and Allen in the middle are just an embarrassment - it must be incredibly frustrating playing up front for us yesterday. We stopped playing out from the back but our one tactic seemed to be to launch high balls at McCann - with absolutely no-one going to support him. McCann started the game pressing their defenders but soon got tired of this when no-one else in a Pars shirt joined him.

Dom Thomas played in a number 10 role yesterday (new manager has come in and made a fundamental change to their shape) - he spent the game running into spaces and looking for the ball and was by far the best player on the park - although we made it easy it for him (looked to me like Chalmers was the man who was supposed to be marking him) - when the highlights come out just watch Chalmers (and Hamilton’s) attempted challenge for the ball with him on the halfway line for the 3rd goal - possibly the worst in a series of feeble efforts.

I don’t get the criticism of Otto - if Allen, Chalmers and Summers showed even half of his effort and drive we wouldn’t be in the mess in we are.

We currently have seven players out injured who’d walk straight into that team - with a fully fit squad we’d be comfortable but would still be weak in central midfield.

Andy
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kozmano1  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 07:16

Brings absolutely nothing to the table. No desire to win the ball, gets turned over 9 times out of 10

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 07:35

I don`t get it with Chalmers and his supporters on here. It`s cult like.

Poster A: I don`t think Chalmers is very good.
Poster B: He wasn`t the worst player today!
Poster A: I didn`t say he was, just don`t think he`s very good.
Poster B: No other player gets criticism!
Poster A: That`s not true and even if it was, I`m just saying I don`t think Chalmers is very good.
Poster B: Pars fans love a scapegoat!

And you get the gist.

It gets to the point where surely there are so many people saying essentially the same things (his perceived strengths such as vision and passing aren`t as strong as people think they are, he doesn`t score goals, he isn`t physical, he isn`t a leader despite being one of the senior players, he puts his teammates under pressure by giving them the ball in uncomfortable places, he is too slow - both in terms of physical speed and speed of thought, he is extremely one-footed, he doesn`t track runners often enough) that you`d think maybe they`d accept that he just isn`t very good.

He wasn`t very good last time we were in this division and he wasn`t very good when he played for Ayr in this division. He may well have started at Celtic and he may well have had a decent season or so for Inverness but those days are long gone. I`m sure he`s a likeable guy and that he tries, but I`m sorry, he`s not got it to be a player in this division, especially for a team struggling. And for those still wanting to come out with "he wasn`t the worst" or "nobody else gets critisism" then feel free to post a thread and we can discuss other players. Don`t go onto a Chalmers thread and complain about folk saying Chalmers isn`t very good!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 07:43

My thoughts on Joe are well known on this forum.

His game perfectly encapsulates what wrong with the way we currently play. It’s like we have built the team in his image. No pace, no forward impetus, no tackling, no pressing, no marking, no goal threat, no physicality, no protection for back 4 I could go on…

I agree quite a few others can be bad and some can escape criticism ie Edwards but they don’t play every week in such an important position in midfield. Allan is a worse player for example but because he came through from the youth folk give him a break despite the fact he’s 24 and should have been shipped to Forfar or east fife some time ago. McCann another who gets by with some folk on here as he has the build of a footballer but unfortunately isn’t good enough and hasn’t improved bar 2-3 games here and there in the last 3 years.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 07:47

Quote:

Berkey, Sun 11 Feb 07:43

My thoughts on Joe are well known on this forum.

His game perfectly encapsulates what wrong with the way we currently play. It’s like we have built the team in his image. No pace, no forward impetus, no tackling, no pressing, no marking, no goal threat, no physicality, no protection for back 4 I could go on…

I agree quite a few others can be bad and some can escape criticism ie Edwards but they don’t play every week in such an important position in midfield. Allan is a worse player for example but because he came through from the youth folk give him a break despite the fact he’s 24 and should have been shipped to Forfar or east fife some time ago. McCann another who gets by with some folk on here as he has the build of a footballer but unfortunately isn’t good enough and hasn’t improved bar 2-3 games here and there in the last 3 years.

Chalmers is probably a good player to bring on at 1-0 up to sure the game up unfortunately we aren`t in that situation too often and can`t afford passengers.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 07:57

Fair enough I should’ve had Breen down beside the others. Tbf Breen, Todd, Otoo and even KRH were superior to the quality of L1 so I would rate them at championship level personally. They may not be experienced but they certainly have the ability to perform well in this division imo. Whether or not they can all do it consistently once fit will pretty much determine our season, along with whoever these experienced loans JMP referred to are going to be.
We better hope they can get up to speed quick or we’ll be getting the bucket and spade oot again for our trip back to the seaside!
All the fight and passion from last season and even the start of this has seemingly vanished in the last 2 games. Even at Utd we looked solid and created a few decent chances and that was what, 3 weeks ago? Fast forward 2 games and we’re 0-8 and I can hardly even think of any decent attempts at goal. Utterly woeful, negative and depressing football and I can’t see where the next goal is coming from, never mind the next win.
Fail to win next week with the same p*sh tactics and formation then it’s surely time up for JMP for even the happiest of clappers among us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 08:27

I did notice Edwards and McCann are both being played while obviously needing to rest injuries. Edwards has a foot issue, he lumps a lot especially after hard tackles. McCann is pulling back on his runs, he probably has a groin issue. Without these 2 in the team things would be a farce. Deniz is not being given cover from defenders. About 10 times in the second half the goal was left gapping towards the far post on his left, that cost us 2 goals overall. Coupled with few chances being created and lack of a centreforward we struggle. Holmes showed he deserves to start the next game at centreforward. Let`s hope Edwards and McCann are fit to play against Arbroath.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 08:38

No sure I understand pars11, if homes deserves a start then surely it will be to replace the largely ineffective (even when fully fit) McCann?

Jak apparently back this week, not seeing how that helps us to be honest?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 08:43

I`d like to think Jakubiak at least keeps the opposite defenders kn their toes and he`s a good defensive forward (to be fair McCann is decent at this too) but when the midfielders don`t press then it doesn`t help as much as we should. Arbroath struggling for numbers and us bringing players in/back should hopefully mean we have the upper hand in the latter stages but it`s a sad state of affairs when we have to hope we can keep it tight at hone to Arbroath so we can get a win in the final quarter!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bucuresti Par  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 08:52

The combination of him and Allan is dire. On a good surface, we can possibly get away with one of them beside Hamilton/Otoo.

But neither are good enough, it is simple as that.

How many of the squad are good enough is a fair debate, as is if the management team are as well.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 09:01

Said for this whole season Chalmers has been a waste of a jersey and been shot down in flames every time. Thank god other people are realising now. Quite simply does not bring enough to the table for being one of the “experienced pros” in the squad. I’m afraid he brings Paul Allan down to his level.

As for McCann, again, escaped criticism for long enough, the laddie is not a striker, never mind a lone striker. Much more effective n useful coming off the wings. But hey, Mcpakes formation don’t allow for that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 10:36

Joe Chalmers was not even a regular in an average Ayr United team when we purchased !!!! him, the frightening thing is Mcpake obviously rates him to give him a long contract along with the other chancer that is Craig Wighton , makes me wonder what Mcpakes idea of a footballer is .

G.B
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 10:43

I don’t agree that he’s poor in every game (although like many he is on a bad run just now), he’s just extremely inconsistent and at the extremes, he has been seen to control games for us and spread the passes about well, or alternatively to be so poor and look miles off it - no middle ground and so inconsistent
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 10:53

The problem is we are looking for our senior players to step up and not one of them have done.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: CrossPar  
Date:   Sun 11 Feb 12:17

Chalmers was ok last year in the seaside league. In the tough championship where you have to scrap and fight for everything, he is a man down. Unfortunately there is more than him of the same ilk. We get out muscled far too easily, especially in the midfield. Right from the start yesterday, our midfield were not in it and it got worse the longer the game went.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: NW 1966  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 06:24

He`s actually one of our best players. Anyone who can`t see his value isn`t clued up at all about what he actually does bring to our team.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 06:32

Enlighten us, oh wise one!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 07:24

He`s a magician; he can instantly turn forward motion into reverse...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 07:53

Quote:

NW 1966, Tue 13 Feb 06:24

He`s actually one of our best players. Anyone who can`t see his value isn`t clued up at all about what he actually does bring to our team.

I don`t think family members of players should be able to post on here.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: nick_dafc1  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 07:54

The problem is the manager thinks chalmers is the answer as he signed him up for 2 years.

O Halloran 2years
Mehmet 3 years
Wighton 2years

Deary me
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 09:29

I think maybe up until November Chalmers probably was one of our best players but like every other Dunfermline player the last few months his form has dipped, in normal circumstances he would get dropped or rested for a few games but the lack of strength and depth in that area means he can`t be dropped.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jealous Furniture  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 09:41

It`s not all Joe`s fault, I think other teams have figured out that 90% of our play goes through Chalmers because he`s the only midfielder we have that can pick a pass. They`ve worked out that if they press him aggressively we lose the ball or resort to punting it. Our whole game falls down with him

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ladswell_Thistle  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 13:36

Pretty clear there`s some who hate (or at least really dislike Joe as a footballer) and some who see what Joe brings to the team when he`s on form.
If he had a tough tackling midfielder in with him and some forwards who actually look to run into space I think more people would appreciate him.
At the moment he`s got nowhere to go but pass backwards. And he`s not the tough tackler. He is always looking for the ball though.
Personally think he is capable in this league. Just need the right guys around him and he would thrive.
Opinions eh! 🤷‍♂️

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 13:47

Quote:

Ladswell_Thistle, Tue 13 Feb 13:36

Pretty clear there`s some who hate (or at least really dislike Joe as a footballer) and some who see what Joe brings to the team when he`s on form.
If he had a tough tackling midfielder in with him and some forwards who actually look to run into space I think more people would appreciate him.
At the moment he`s got nowhere to go but pass backwards. And he`s not the tough tackler. He is always looking for the ball though.
Personally think he is capable in this league. Just need the right guys around him and he would thrive.
Opinions eh! 🤷‍♂️

Agree with this 100%
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 15:40

Passes back most of the time , can,t tackle , lets opposition run past him, was very poor last time in this league, not very capable in my opinion ,

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 15:52

Ladswell that’s nonsense, I’ve seen plenty of times where Joe passes back when under little to no pressure, he didn’t even take a touch and look up either.

People seem to think there’s very few players about who can do what chalmers can, I’d argue there’s more players about that can do what he can and so much more.

Yeah if we get the right players around him to do all the stuff he’s not capable of doing he’ll shine….doesnt feel like much of an arguement for keeping him in the team.

If we bring a decent midfielder in and we get a defender back he’ll find himself out of the team, next year I suspect he’ll be a benchwarmer.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 17:34

"Pretty clear there`s some who hate (or at least really dislike Joe as a footballer) and some who see what Joe brings to the team when he`s on form."

And therein lies the problem. He`s not "on form" nearly enough for a Championship team, and when he`s not "on form" he`s mot much use at all, as the other parts of a midfielders game, whether that is energy, defensive positioning, tacking, strength, shooting, etc aren`t good enough at the best of times.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 17:57

It`s interesting that this thread wasn`t opened until 6 hours after full-time on Saturday. It`s almost as if someone thought `Oh wait, we haven`t had a pop at Chalmers this week` and then, of course, the usual suspects piled in and they`re still at it 3 days later.

The manager gets criticised for repeating himself every week but it`s OK for Chalmers` critics to do it apparently.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 18:47

This a forum , where everyone is entitled to voice their opinion after each game , be it good or bad ,after we signed him we went back to Ayr for a game and their supporters couldn,t believe we paid a fee for him after a couple of games i was of the same opinion and that hasn,t changed. a few good games in the seaside league hasn,t swayed my opinion, i am not a " usual suspect " who picks on him after a bad loss , nobody in the last 2 games desrves pass marks 2 atrocious displays but as one of our senior players Joe along with others are expected to get a grip on the game unfortunately he doesn,t have that in his locker along with a few more , and im sure if we had a fully fit squad he would not be a regular in the side.

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 18:55

As I said, you just repeat yourselves every week.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sonofpetrie  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:08

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 13 Feb 18:55

As I said, you just repeat yourselves every week.

As does Chalmers every week. If he played a blinder I would be on here saying "he played a blinder".

"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:11

"I don`t think family members of players should be able to post on here"

Fortunately it`s not your call.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:13

Praise when its due , Criticism when its appropiate, its a forum

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:23

You`re very perceptive.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 19:49

It`s amazing the amount of people that can`t differentiate between criticism and abuse.

It`s amazing the amount of folk that expect Chalmers to morph into Roy Keane.

I`m not a fan of his but all midfielders are not the same. There`s room in squads for players like him. He can thread a pass if the run is on but he`s not a hard tackling grafter of a midfielder in the old fashioned sense. Our trouble is as it stands we have no one else.

I think he`s another one who under normal circumstances would be due a spell on the sidelines

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 20:01

Personally I like Joe Chalmers. I don`t see him as a player being the problem. We need a bit more movement upfront to give him options to pass the ball.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 22:26

I would suggest that the mop-haired Joe has had more assists than any of our players in the last two seasons. He can be very creative when we are on the offensive but not when we`ve had our backs to the wall as we have in the last few games. But absolutely not right to make him a scapegoat.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 13 Feb 23:23

Joe needs creative players ahead of him who make positive movements. We have none of that, so he either passes back or plays it to the space where our attackers should be. It must be so frustrating for him to constantly pick up the ball in the middle and see hee haw ahead of him. We can see it from the stands clear as day. Our forwards are murder, we have zero out wide and our CAMs, although decent on the ball, are utter sh1tebags off it.
Joe really would need to be a magician to create anything in this team.
But yet he continually looks for the ball and the next pass, even when he’s having a shocker he still finds the space to be available and wants the ball. Which we certainly cannot say about those further up the park. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion but for me, on his day, Joe is a very good player. Canny really blame him for our lack of movement and creativity which causes him to play a more negative pass to keep possession.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 18:29

Niall do you think if we had otoo and Hamilton in midfield and Joe as the attacking midfielder making runs into the box and much closer to the strikers he would be more effective?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Gaz3822  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 19:19

Joe Chalmers tries his best every game, i can`t knock him for that.

Unfortunately his best isn`t good enough for A, what we want to achieve in this league and B, looking for him to pull us out this mire. For me his level is a Championship/ league 1 yo yo team, which is what we`ve become at this moment in time. If all our players were fully fit he`d be a bench player I`m sure of it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Swifty  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 19:26

He is not a ball winning midfield player - tackling is not a strength!! But he can make a pass. Unfortunately our players who make decent runs into the box (Matty Todd and Kane Ritchie Hosler), have missed most of the season. If we could move Hamilton and or Otoo forward to win the ball we would see Chalmers in a better light?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 19:28

Topic Originator: NiallDAFC like
Date: Tue 13 Feb 23:23

Joe needs creative players ahead of him who make positive movements. We have none of that, so he either passes back or plays it to the space where our attackers should be. It must be so frustrating for him to constantly pick up the ball in the middle and see hee haw ahead of him. We can see it from the stands clear as day. Our forwards are murder, we have zero out wide and our CAMs, although decent on the ball, are utter sh1tebags off it.
Joe really would need to be a magician to create anything in this team.
But yet he continually looks for the ball and the next pass, even when he’s having a shocker he still finds the space to be available and wants the ball. Which we certainly cannot say about those further up the park. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion but for me, on his day, Joe is a very good player. Canny really blame him for our lack of movement and creativity which causes him to play a more negative pass to keep possession.

This ^^ nails it for me NiallDAFC

We are forever shaped by the Children we once were
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: adj27  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 20:25

Sorry, but I just don’t agree - I watched Chalmers closely on Saturday and he just doesn’t make himself available looking for the ball. For me he hides - partly because he will be very low on confidence at the moment. When he does have the ball he needs more time than he’ll get in this league and he doesn’t have the strength to hold on to the ball when challenged or the pace to recover it if he loses it - I feel sorry for the forwards, they get next to no support from any of their midfield colleagues.

Dom Thomas on Saturday was constantly on the move finding space and offering easy passes for his team mates - he made the game look easy.

Andy
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 21:31

I don’t think we should forget that Joe was a left back for most of his early career and presumable a lack of pace meant he ended up as a midfielder as he dropped down into the Championship.

He certainly isn’t an attacking midfielder in this league and carries no goal threat even last season where we were rarely under pressure until 30 yards from opponents goal.

So the question is, if he isn’t a defensive midfielder and isn’t an attacking midfielder then what la his role? And what’s he bringing to the team?

With more width in the team and more movement up front it would make it easier but do we really think he’s seeing passes that every other championship or good league 1 midfielders wouldn’t?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Wed 14 Feb 22:51

He has got 21 assists for us in about 80 games. He must be doing something right
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jacko Par42  
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 01:00

Red-Star-Par, just not enough

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rigger Al  
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 01:07

Quote:

Jacko Par42, Thu 15 Feb 01:00

Red-Star-Par, just not enough

More than others in midfield
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 09:18

"With more width in the team and more movement up front it would make it easier but do we really think he’s seeing passes that every other championship or good league 1 midfielders wouldn’t?"

It`s arguable that he sees and makes fewer passes than other Championship midfielders given his inability to use his right foot. I can`t remember the game but there was one this season where we had a promising break and McCann was in acres of space in the inside left channel and a simple ball to him would have given him a virtually unchallenged run in on goal. But xhalmers didn`t look to his left, presumably as it would have meant using his right foot, and instead looked to his right and played a sideways pass to the right wing back who was then closed down. You wouldn`t see an Iain Wilson, a Kyle Turner, a Sam Stanton, a Dom Thomas, etc doing that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Athletico  
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 10:35

15 of those assists are at League 1 level...he is a good league 1 player. His stats in the Championship are 3 assists in 36 games for us.

Joe`s biggest contribution to this side is an unfathomable amount of misplaced passes for a professional football who plays midfield.

Post Edited (Thu 15 Feb 10:38)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 11:35

He would be a great player to bring off the bench to defend a lead keep the ball and run the clock down. Unfortunately we are usually the team chasing games to get level or turn a draw into a win.

Having that with the static so called strikers in our squad and he really isn`t effective as mostly ends up passing it backwards or giving it away when pressed. Teams know that and press him all the time and end up winning the ball in our half.

Chalmers isn`t the only reason we are in this mess. But he definitely isn`t the guy who will get us out of it. It would be great to have a falkingham type player in there to inject some life into the squad, maybe kane could be the guy to do it.

c'mon the pars

Post Edited (Thu 15 Feb 11:36)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyDee  
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 12:06

Joe chalmers is easily our worst player

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 13:00

That`s an interesting comment. I wonder how the other players in the squad would stack up if they were subjected to the same degree of scrutiny as Joe Chalmers is?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 14:04

The irony of bumping this thread back up to the top of the board hasn`t escaped me but what is the point of it? It`s like a primary school argument.

See that Joe Chalmers? He`s rubbish!
No he`s no.
Aye he is.
Isnae
Is.
Nut.....

Now I`ve summarised it so succinctly, can we just close it right here, please? It`s utterly pointless.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 15 Feb 21:12

"Joe chalmers is easily our worst player"

That`s absolute nonsense.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 13:10

Out of interest, any of his backers think we missed him yesterday?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AveragePar  
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 13:21

Quote:

Berkey, Sun 18 Feb 13:10

Out of interest, any of his backers think we missed him yesterday?

Missed a level of control in the park that maybe he could’ve brought.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: 68guns  
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 13:21

Yip I think we missed him, summers was pretty poor and could have done with Chalmers after Hamilton was moved back.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 13:41

Joe becomes the focus of attention even when he doesn`t play. I`m surprised Craig Wighton hasn`t had a mention.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 13:59

Berkey, I back the team, not individual players.

Joe is a very important player on that team. He reminds me of Alexander-Arnold — receives a lot of criticism, but has vision and does things that others don’t do.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 15:18

Geezo usmac, please seek help!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 15:37

I suspect Joe wasn`t playing because it was a game we couldn`t afford to lose.

We are a bit shakey in defence until the new boys settle in, so it made sense to bolster the middle with CH

Post Edited (Sun 18 Feb 15:40)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 15:54

Quote:

USMac, Sun 18 Feb 13:59

Berkey, I back the team, not individual players.

Joe is a very important player on that team. He reminds me of Alexander-Arnold — receives a lot of criticism, but has vision and does things that others don’t do.

Absolutely delusional
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 16:20

I wasn`t there but the highlights suggest that we created some very presentable chances without this control Average Par. And if we want to make outlandish comparisons to TAA, how about Paul Allan winning a tackle on the right side line and putting in an excellent cross to the back post that should have been rewarded by a better headed finish. I think it`s interesting in itself that it was Allan rather than Chalmers who got the call at half time and Joe wasn`t called on at all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 16:58

needed the balance of a right footer with Otoo not willing to use his right foot most of the time and putting himself and others under pressure in doing so, the Benjamin booking the main example.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 18:00

Otoo and Hamilton in midfield is so much better but we need more from whoever is in there in the attacking sense, this is where relying on young raw loans like Moffat and summers falls over again as they are inconsistent or worse consistenty posted missing and this is a hard league.

Post Edited (Sun 18 Feb 19:30)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Never10yairds  
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 20:41

Our midfield looks far more dynamic yesterday, particularly in the first half, without chalmers in it. I hope he isn’t in the starting line up against partick.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Sun 18 Feb 20:54

We could have won 3/4-1 yesterday and our play looked better going forwatmrds bringing MOH in etc.

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: halbe  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 09:07

Been needing Otoo in midfield but defence injuries made that difficult. He is more combative and box to box than Hamilton, Allan, Summers and Chalmers etc. Think having Otoo in midfield created options for other players they haven`t had. Berkey and others never notice but for weeks there has been no one in forward looking spaces for Chalmers to find when he gets the ball. But people like Berkey love a scapegoat and can never see the bigger picture. You could have had a thread on 90% of the team over the last couple of months but how does that help anyone`s confidence. No wonder its hard getting players in...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 10:48

halbe, that`s nonsense and you know it. Even when there are forward he either doesn`t find them or plays the ball behind them anyway. You can cry scapegoat all you like, but when so many fans (and fans of other clubs, including his former team) all say the same thing it surely goes beyond simple scapegoating. Sometimes it`s fine just to say that someone isn`t at the required level for what we need.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 11:17

He’s made 73 appearances for the Pars in a little over two seasons.
Doesn’t make sense if he’s so bad a player, does it ?

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 11:29

It`s the same old story with people, they need a scapegoat when things are not going the way we want them to go,
Cannot remember any criticism of Chalmers last season, or Mehmet etc
But because we are not scoring or defending well at present it gives people plenty of ammunition about their least favourite players because someone has to be blamed, remember the players we have are with us for a reason , so we shouldn`t try and compare them to players we think they should be !
Much better if we get behind people and try and give them confidence
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 11:51

This thread was actually started after the QP game. It petered out last Thursday and then a certain poster resurrected it on Sunday, despite the fact that Chalmers didn`t feature at all on Saturday, with this post :-

`Topic Originator: Berkey like
Date: Sun 18 Feb 13:10

Out of interest, any of his backers think we missed him yesterday?`

The subsequent posts include suggestions that anyone who supports him is suffering from some sort of mental illness. One of his critics admits he wasn`t at the game but chips in anyway.

Sadly, this has become a bit more than a normal exchange of views about a player`s performance. It`s like a campaign to discredit an honest pro who has served the club well since he joined us. In the fiercely competitive world of professional football he has been able to make a living as a full-time player. He does not deserve the treatment he gets on here and the way some of the criticism is expressed.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wulliepar57  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 12:08

Well said Wee Eck , couldn`t have put it better myself
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: steaua  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 12:14

I am inclined to agree with you wee eck. I listen to the abuse at the games and read it on here and it is really like people need a scapegoat. At the game a week past Saturday, I saw another Pars player make a howler of a mistake , with not a word said . My advice to Joe would be, just work hard and show the fans who have got it in for you, and give them no reason to berate you. We should be supporting the Pars as a team and not as individuals,

COME ON YE PARS.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 12:16

I thought it was fair game to ask if we missed him given it’s the first time all season he’s been dropped and we still went with the likes of Benjamin even tho we could have dropped either Hamilton or otoo back into defence and kept chalmers in the team. Certainly right to question someone who said he was like Trent Alexander Arnold in seeing passes etc no one else would see, yeah maybe no one else in our squad but that’s not saying much.

I would have expected the people who rate Joe to say we did okay on sat but were missing something and then to advise that’s what Joe gives you.

The fact that didn’t happen tells a story. Instead we can blame those who don’t rate him and call it a witch hunt rather than consider he might actually not be up to it.

Post Edited (Mon 19 Feb 12:18)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 12:35

`I would have expected the people who rate Joe to say we did okay on sat but were missing something and then to advise that’s what Joe gives you.`

That`s just not true. Here are some of the responses to your question :-

`Missed a level of control in the park that maybe he could’ve brought.`

`Yip I think we missed him, summers was pretty poor and could have done with Chalmers after Hamilton was moved back.`

`He’s made 73 appearances for the Pars in a little over two seasons.
Doesn’t make sense if he’s so bad a player, does it ?`

Do any comments that contradict your opinion actually register with you?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 13:31

Nope sorry , chalmers, Allan and Benjamin not what we need when trying to dig out results need to get back to a midfield that grafts along with Moffat for summers going forward. Game of opinions and that`s mine

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 13:46

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 19 Feb 12:16

I thought it was fair game to ask if we missed him given it’s the first time all season he’s been dropped and we still went with the likes of Benjamin even tho we could have dropped either Hamilton or otoo back into defence and kept chalmers in the team. Certainly right to question someone who said he was like Trent Alexander Arnold in seeing passes etc no one else would see, yeah maybe no one else in our squad but that’s not saying much.

I would have expected the people who rate Joe to say we did okay on sat but were missing something and then to advise that’s what Joe gives you.

The fact that didn’t happen tells a story. Instead we can blame those who don’t rate him and call it a witch hunt rather than consider he might actually not be up to it.

Certainly, I wouldn`t miss you if you had a wee snooze Berky. Maybe til the end of the season. 2045

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 14:24

I`d rather have a team full of aggressive, direct ballers like Morton. We`re far too nice, far too passive.

Ep.16 of East End Tales is out now with Steven Mill

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/14949749
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DavieG  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 15:10

not posted on here for a while ... but reading some of the comments on here some folks don`t know the first thing about football players or indeed the game

just hump the ball up the park ... who needs midfielders

"marching on together"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 16:19

Quote:

DavieG, Mon 19 Feb 15:10

not posted on here for a while ... but reading some of the comments on here some folks don`t know the first thing about football players or indeed the game

just hump the ball up the park ... who needs midfielders

You`re a perceptive chap, Davie, and if you had posted more regularly, you`d have come to that conclusion a long time ago. 🙂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 16:25

We lost control of the midfield, for a good while, after Arbroath equalised on Saturday. Under normal circumstances, there would have been an argument for putting Chalmers on.

However, given that McPake had already put Paul Allan on and the pitch was a bit of a disaster, I don`t think it was the game for Joe to come on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: fcda  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 17:49

Quote:

forever black and white, Mon 19 Feb 13:31

Nope sorry , chalmers, Allan and Benjamin not what we need when trying to dig out results need to get back to a midfield that grafts along with Moffat for summers going forward. Game of opinions and that`s mine

Surprised that Summers gets such an easy ride on here.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 17:53

73 games Raymie, how many good ones? How many good ones in this division?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 17:54

Quote:

kelty_par, Mon 19 Feb 10:48

Even when there are forward he either doesn`t find them or plays the ball behind them anyway.

Utter tosh. He plays plenty balls forward when the runs are made by the attacking playerd, the problem is the attacking players never give him the option to do so
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 17:55

Quote:

fcda, Mon 19 Feb 17:49

Quote:

forever black and white, Mon 19 Feb 13:31

Surprised that Summers gets such an easy ride on here.

Personally I`d like to see Summers get a chance playing the role Chalmers takes up. Think he looks lost playing off the striker and would be better suited to playing the deeper role.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 18:08

The reason summers looks lost is because it is a boy v men,

3 years time when he is stronger he will be playing in the top flight.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 18:35

"Utter tosh. He plays plenty balls forward when the runs are made by the attacking playerd, the problem is the attacking players never give him the option to do so"

Never give him the option to? Now who`s talking utter tosh. The two times this season I`ve lost the plot with Chalmers this season has been when we`ve had a promising break on and he didn`t see the run (McCann in the inside left channel, he playeda square ball to the right instead) or played it behind the runner (played it behind Moffat when he had 40 yards to run inti). If you watch the limited movement our forwards do provide, there are plenty of times during a game when he doesn`t play it forward quickly enough - often to Edwards who is usually really high up the pitch but because Chalmers is so left footed he doesn`t like looking to his right, let alone trying to get the ball out there unless he`s facing that way and even then the ball is often behind the runner. It`s so infuriating. I`m not sure if it`s his floaty, flighty style or the sense that there is a player in there somewhere, maybe it`s because he`s about the only player in recent times we paid a fee for before the loanees made their move permament, but he`s by far the most frustrating player we`ve got at the moment and have had for many a year. I was speaking to an Ayr fan who came to a game last year as a neutral and he couldn`t believe that we`d taken him, let alone paid for him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 19 Feb 22:46

Quote:

kelty_par, Mon 19 Feb 17:53

I’ve said it before that football is about balance and Chalmers is good in a midfield where we have a couple of ball winners and some pace down the flanks
Is he effective in a struggling side, where he has to defend plenty and contest aerial duels? No
Did he play well last season and the early part of this season ? I would say, yes ( although I can’t really recall how he played in particular, only that we were up there in the play offs )

Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Tue 20 Feb 00:48

Exactly. Does Joe need to be in the team each week? No
Is the team potentially better when he’s in the lineup? Absolutely

People laughed off my Alexander-Arnold analogy, but ask the same questions about him and Liverpool, and the answers are the same, except that the yes is more emphatic because Liverpool have the players around him to help him thrive.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DNCH  
Date:   Tue 20 Feb 04:54

He’s abject on terms of creativity and forward play but he’s pretty competent on the ball and when the team are playing with confidence he does his job brilliantly. The challenge is watching a player like Wotherspoon play that role wonderfully against the Rovers and wonder why this is the level we’re settling for.

I think he’s an okay midfielder and is the furthest thing from our biggest problem which is having no idea how to score a goal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Tue 20 Feb 08:46

Quote:

USMac, Tue 20 Feb 00:48

Exactly. Does Joe need to be in the team each week? No
Is the team potentially better when he’s in the lineup? Absolutely

People laughed off my Alexander-Arnold analogy, but ask the same questions about him and Liverpool, and the answers are the same, except that the yes is more emphatic because Liverpool have the players around him to help him thrive.

People who don’t like when folk compare footballers from 2 different levels really are causing the issue for themself.

The fact they cant differentiate that your comparing the player in comparison to their current level and their likeness to a player at a different level shows their own lack of knowledge of football as your clearly not stating Joe Chalmers is as good as TAA.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Feb 18:07

DNCH hits the nail on the head…

Those on here who think chalmers offers something positive to the team have settled for mediocrity and a team perenially struggling in the championship.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Feb 18:52

In the Championship last time he was at the best mediocre, in the 1st div he had a few passable games against teams who,s players were at his level, back to the Championship and again very poor.

G.B
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 24 Feb 10:23

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 19 Feb 22:46

Quote:

I’ve said it before that football is about balance and Chalmers is good in a midfield where we have a couple of ball winners and some pace down the flanks
Is he effective in a struggling side, where he has to defend plenty and contest aerial duels? No
Did he play well last season and the early part of this season ? I would say, yes ( although I can’t really recall how he played in particular, only that we were up there in the play offs )

It’s interesting reading the views that many thought Paul Allan had a good game against Thistle ( and he did )
Paul is another who has come in for his fair share of criticism.
He had Otoo and Todd alongside him and a target man in Kane to hit, whilst protected by a back four, mainly.

I’m wondering how Chalmers would have done in place of Allan? I suspect he would have had a decent game as well in that formation, with those players ?

Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sat 24 Feb 10:24)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sat 24 Feb 12:25

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sat 24 Feb 10:23

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Mon 19 Feb 22:46

Quote:

It’s interesting reading the views that many thought Paul Allan had a good game against Thistle ( and he did )
Paul is another who has come in for his fair share of criticism.
He had Otoo and Todd alongside him and a target man in Kane to hit, whilst protected by a back four, mainly.

I’m wondering how Chalmers would have done in place of Allan? I suspect he would have had a decent game as well in that formation, with those players ?

That`s too sensible a post Raymie!🤔👍
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: par_33  
Date:   Sat 16 Mar 15:02

After his cameo appearance last night , still looked miles off it at this level. League 1 level at best.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBA  
Date:   Sat 16 Mar 15:34

Quote:

par_33, Sat 16 Mar 15:02

After his cameo appearance last night , still looked miles off it at this level. League 1 level at best.

He played about 10 mins. Give it a rest.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Mar 15:38

Yeah no need to exhume these old threads to restate the obv.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 16 Mar 16:01

Quote:

Can you not just enjoy the win without having a pop at one of the players of the team you claim to support? The manager appears to rate him even if you don`t. Perhaps you think you`re a better judge of a player`s ability than McPake.

Give me Berkey any day of the week. He criticises some players, but at least he makes a reasoned argument for doing so, whereas you just slag players off.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cfad  
Date:   Sat 16 Mar 23:25

Quote:

Great team performance on the night and this is your contribution…
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net