DAFC.net
Home 30 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Football injuries
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 06:58

It`s no consolation to any of us or the club, but the Pars are by no means unique when it comes to counting up their walking wounded.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68423241

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Football injuries
Topic Originator: Sammy_Must_Die  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 08:41

Craig Levein is going to be a busy man 😂

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 09:05

There certainly seems to be a lot more football at the top level but do these explanations fit our situation? Since the League Cup we`ve pretty much been playing one game a week.

I see Raith Rovers are awaiting the results of a scan of Lee Ashcroft`s hamstring injury which could mean his season is over. Imagine the reaction if he`d signed for us and suffered that injury in his first game.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 09:32

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 29 Feb 09:05

There certainly seems to be a lot more football at the top level but do these explanations fit our situation? Since the League Cup we`ve pretty much been playing one game a week.

I see Raith Rovers are awaiting the results of a scan of Lee Ashcroft`s hamstring injury which could mean his season is over. Imagine the reaction if he`d signed for us and suffered that injury in his first game.

I imagine we`d have had the mother and father of all dotnet meltdowns, wee eck. 😱😱😱

While it`s true that the top clubs in England are regularly playing two games a week, it`s also true they have much bigger squads than the Pars do, so they are able to rotate a number of players without weakening the starting XI too much. In our case, we`ve suffered from long-term injuries to key players who are simply irreplaceable in our set up.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 10:58

Players are pushed way harder than before though in line with most other sports. It`s like a different sport to when I started watching in the 80s.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 11:15

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MusyO7J2inM

This Mitchell and Webb sketch was over 15 years ago. The situation is miles worse now than it was then.

So, what do the administrators do - revamp the Euro Competition formats so there are more games....

Post Edited (Thu 29 Feb 11:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 11:21

I would agree with that Rusty. Some of our injuries have come from what seems to me like players making a desperate attempt to influence a game, rather than being careful to avoid injury. Kane Ritchie Hosler`s shoulder injury, I thought, came about by an over eager lunge. He should have been coached to ease himself back more gradually but the pressure for success in our league doesn`t permit that.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 12:14

Quote:

Paralex, Thu 29 Feb 11:21

I would agree with that, Rusty. Some of our injuries have come from what seems to me like players making a desperate attempt to influence a game, rather than being careful to avoid injury. Kane Ritchie Hosler`s shoulder injury, I thought, came about by an over eager lunge. He should have been coached to ease himself back more gradually but the pressure for success in our league doesn`t permit that.

In our case, some players have admitted that they were eager to return " to help out the boys," when perhaps it would have been wiser to wait a bit longer. Hindsight, eh?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: 1985Par  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 12:20

Personally i think that the modern player, through a combination of sports science, gym work and training, has developed a level of power, speed and flexibility beyond which ligaments and joints can cope with on a consistent basis. Was looking back at an old programme from 85 the other day and noted that we fielded pretty much the same team every week and used about 17/18 players in total that season. Also remember watching a documentary about Nottingham forest wining the European cup with what seemed like an astonishingly small group.

This is only a hunch but something has changed since then and the number of fixtures played seems fairly comparable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 12:41

Quote:

1985Par, Thu 29 Feb 12:20

Personally i think that the modern player, through a combination of sports science, gym work and training, has developed a level of power, speed and flexibility beyond which ligaments and joints can cope with on a consistent basis. Was looking back at an old programme from 85 the other day and noted that we fielded pretty much the same team every week and used about 17/18 players in total that season. Also remember watching a documentary about Nottingham forest wining the European cup with what seemed like an astonishingly small group.

This is only a hunch but something has changed since then and the number of fixtures played seems fairly comparable.

That`s a better way of saying what I was getting at.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 12:58

It`s interesting and don`t understand why, but I played two 2 times a week 3 times towards end of season and trained 1 or twice, clearly not at same level, but we rarely had players out due to injuries

Is modern footie more physical are players more susceptible to it, I don`t know the reason, it`s usual for a player to be out due to a crunching tackle but it appears to be routine stuff.
Draw the parallel with rugby, ok feet are not properly involved but they just carry on
All very strange to me.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 13:10

For a start we need to know how many of our injuries are impact injuries and how many are non-impact. We seem to have had a higher incidence than normal of both categories.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 15:03

Quote:

1985Par, Thu 29 Feb 12:20

I have a pic of the 64/65 squad which came within a whisker of doing the League and Cup double and made the last 8 of the old Inter-cities Fairs Cup. With Cup replays and postponements, they sometimes played Sat-Mon-Wed-Sat, and that probably cost us.

We had a first team squad of 14.....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Thu 29 Feb 15:31

Quote:

thebear, Thu 29 Feb 12:58

It`s interesting and don`t understand why, but I played two 2 times a week 3 times towards end of season and trained 1 or twice, clearly not at same level, but we rarely had players out due to injuries

Is modern footie more physical are players more susceptible to it, I don`t know the reason, it`s usual for a player to be out due to a crunching tackle but it appears to be routine stuff.
Draw the parallel with rugby, ok feet are not properly involved but they just carry on
All very strange to me.

Hull have played two matches in the Super League this season and are down 14 players already.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 19:11

Bene is in the squad tomorrow according to the manager and Kane and McCann should be available too.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 1 Mar 19:15

Quote:

wee eck, Fri 1 Mar 19:11

Bene is in the squad tomorrow according to the manager and Kane and McCann should be available too.

Things are finally looking up, wee eck.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/4910659/dunfermline-athletic-fc-injury-boost-kyle-benedictus/

I`m feeling much more optimistic about our chances of taking 3 points v Ayr now.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Sat 2 Mar 05:39

Benny back is massive.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net