DAFC.net
Home 21 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Olympiakos Pireaus
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Sun 2 Jun 20:38

I see Olympiakos have just won the Europa Conference League - the first ever major Euro trophy for a Greek side.

The`ve come a long way since they tried to kick the Pars out of Cup Winners Cup in both games all those years ago.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Olympiakos Pireaus
Topic Originator: Row_ZZ  
Date:   Sun 2 Jun 21:21

Mad to think we absolutely smashed them back in the day. Olympiacos surely biggest team in Greece back then also?

"A smile might be good!"
"Nothing to smile about in my life"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Pars11  
Date:   Sun 2 Jun 23:02

Mad to think we absolutely smashed them back in the day. Olympiacos surely biggest team in Greece back then also?
Olimpiakos 3 V Dunfermline 0 says we got lucky in Piraeus.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Mon 3 Jun 00:01

It`s hard to believe now, but back in `68, Scottish teams had no fear of anyone in Europe except perhaps the Italians and the Germans. There was an arrogance about the Scots that I don`t think exists today. The Glaswegians have a term - gallus - which pretty much sums up that attitude.

Olympiakos were a bit of a revelation in that they were much tougher physically than most of us expected, but the Pars saw them off at EEP. Apparently, we hung on for our lives in Athens, and our players were given a tough time by 30,000 fans.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Jun 09:45

"Olimpiakos 3 V Dunfermline 0 says we got lucky in Piraeus."

More like we got unlucky as the referee was sadly lacking - for example Bent Martin was held at the third goal from a corner.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 3 Jun 10:29

remember held bent martin down for a goal ref bottled it 0-3 ht then we got stuck into them in 2nd half great pars team then we were first team in nearly 2years to win at hawthorns in 2nd leg with pat gardners 90secs header

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: bigdonnie  
Date:   Mon 3 Jun 11:05

in those days lot of games werent even shown with hi lights on tv dont think pars v olympiakos away was shown so these team got away with murder look at world club championship ac milan were kicked off park by estudiantes same with celtic

donald mcneil
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Jun 12:09

There is footage on YouTube - poor quality, makes even Scotsport coverage of that era look good !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FAvbO5EnNI

[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 3 Jun 13:48

We got lucky in Piraeus not Athens the clue is in the name Olympiacos Piraeus. Holding was rife in football in the 1960`s as was shoulder charging. Players were more aggressive and reckless by todays standards. I was at the home leg as a 11YO. I have seen the Karaiskakis Stadium, it is huge. You leave Piraeus by a dual carraigeway towards Athens, the warnings from the AEK Athens and Panathiniakos Ultras are everywhere. They simply hate Olympiacos.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 3 Jun 17:54

Piraeus is the port of Athens , hence the linkage, rightly or wrongly.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Jun 02:44

Indeed VEE. Leith is to Edinburgh what Piraeus is to Athens. It is about a 10/15 minute drive in a taxi from the centre of Athens to the Akti Miaouli (the main street on the Piraeus waterfront).

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Jun 21:49

OzPar, You been using helicopter taxi services. It takes a lot longer than that to drive from Piraeus to Athens.

Bluebell Polka
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 4 Jun 23:35

Haha! A helicopter sounds fun! I made a couple of business trips to Piraeus a few years back, and as far as I can remember, it was a fairly short trip from Athens.

Indeed, I just did a Google check, and it offers four routes. The shortest takes 11 minutes (maybe in a Ferrari), and the longest is 18 minutes. But there`s no denying that heavy traffic can slow things down.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net