DAFC.net
Home 21 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Long Summer
Topic Originator: Swifty  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 10:08

These were the Managers words following our last league game of the 2023/24 season. While I welcomed the signing of Chris Kane on a 2 year deal our transfer activity apart from that has been non-existent!! Rumours abound about our financial position, which is supposedly dire. It seems likely that we will be dependent on loan signings again in this window and probably the January one too. I know it’s early and not time to push the panic button. If we can keep our squad fit next season it should be a better one. But I think we need another goalkeeper and a fullback when the Edwards transfer goes through. When I see other clubs in our league being credited with interest in players, which could strengthen our squad, I genuinely feel sorry for our Management Team!! I hope I’m proved wrong and we make a few signings rather than loans in the coming weeks.

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Long Summer
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 10:16

Our squad is considerably weaker than the one which finished last season. Alot of work to be done if we want to hit the top 4.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 10:30

I imagine mid table is the best we will achieve given the state of the squad. We will not challenge for title and I think we will struggle to reach the playoffs. Ayr, Rovers, Thistle and Livi ahead of us. Unfortunately dishing out 3 year contracts to players that are simply not good enough is killing us.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Football_Par  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 11:24

Bannockburn Par wrote:

> I imagine mid table is the best we will achieve given the state
> of the squad. We will not challenge for title and I think we
> will struggle to reach the playoffs. Ayr, Rovers, Thistle and
> Livi ahead of us. Unfortunately dishing out 3 year contracts to
> players that are simply not good enough is killing us.

who got a 3 year deal ?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 11:50

Quote:

Bannockburn Par, Tue 11 Jun 10:30

I imagine mid table is the best we will achieve given the state of the squad. We will not challenge for title and I think we will struggle to reach the playoffs. Ayr, Rovers, Thistle and Livi ahead of us. Unfortunately dishing out 3 year contracts to players that are simply not good enough is killing us.

We complained when we could only afford one year contracts as players went for nothing.
While it may be hit and miss signing players on 2/3 year contracts, it allows us to put them in the shop window and get some return on them.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Luxembourg Par  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 11:54

Quote:

Swifty, Tue 11 Jun 10:08

If we can keep our squad fit next season it should be a better one.

That will have a large bearing on our performances and finishing position.

We went from a really fortunate season in Div 1 with practically no injuries to a horrendous campaign last season.

If we can avoid such a large amount, we will be in better shape, even thought our ‘first 11’ could be deemed weaker than last season’s ’first choice 11’ (which we hardly ever managed to field)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kdy Par  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 12:01

Quote:

Swifty, Tue 11 Jun 10:08

These were the Managers words following our last league game of the 2023/24 season. While I welcomed the signing of Chris Kane on a 2 year deal our transfer activity apart from that has been non-existent!! Rumours abound about our financial position, which is supposedly dire. It seems likely that we will be dependent on loan signings again in this window and probably the January one too. I know it’s early and not time to push the panic button. If we can keep our squad fit next season it should be a better one. But I think we need another goalkeeper and a fullback when the Edwards transfer goes through. When I see other clubs in our league being credited with interest in players, which could strengthen our squad, I genuinely feel sorry for our Management Team!! I hope I’m proved wrong and we make a few signings rather than loans in the coming weeks.

The time to judge the squad and recruitment is on the 3rd August when the league kicks off. It’s still early June, no need to panic just now.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 12:07

Not sure I would agree that we`re "considerably weaker" than the squad that finished the season. Based on? Edwards and MFW?

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 12:10

It`s been evident the last few seasons that our transfer windows are not going to be particularly exciting.
The club though could do a lot more to keep fans engaged whilst the off season is quiet. Keep them interested instead of letting them get restless.

-Kit Teasers on social media platforms

-Competitions- don`t have to give a lot away but it just keeps traffic on your socials and fans interested

-Strip Launch Day - what happened to that, always seemed well attended and is surely an opportunity to enhance the bond between the team and fans.

Key Dates- Players back, friendlies, maybe an open training day and anything relevant.

I`m sure there`s others with more original ideas than those above.

At the end of the League One winning season everyone was bouncing, there was real momentum and it was all lost last summer with a quiet window and a lack of participation from the club in using it`s media outlets.
Again this summer it`s dribs and drabs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 12:38

If the best we can hope for is mid table and sneaking into the play offs with our fan base and all the money that’s been put into the club by fans, there is something seriously wrong.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GJS93  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 12:42

"These were the Managers words following our last league game of the 2023/24 season"

they werent.

"When I see other clubs in our league being credited with interest in players, which could strengthen our squad, I genuinely feel sorry for our Management Team!! I hope I’m proved wrong and we make a few signings rather than loans in the coming weeks."

maybe the players that are of interest are not being leaked in one way or another to the press. this stuff about signings over loans, both are signings, both cost money and there could be better value in a loan than a permanent deal.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Westies squint kicks  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 12:46

“We were disappointed in the level of performance again. And we know there’s a lot of work to do – and it’s going to be a big summer. "

Big Summer is the quote

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 12:54

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Tue 11 Jun 12:07

Not sure I would agree that we`re "considerably weaker" than the squad that finished the season. Based on? Edwards and MFW?

The squad is missing edwards,MFW, Paul allan and jakubiak from last season. Who would all play a part in our next match so yes the squad is considerably weaker.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 12:56

Add moffat and summers to the list that`s almost a whole bench of adequate replacements missing ATM
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 13:03

The squad is stronger than it was at this point in 2023.

It`s meaningless to compare it with the end of the season given that we had 7 loan players - 6 of whom are back at the club they are signed to.

As with other seasons, we`ll likely see additions before the league starts, additions between the season starting and the end of August and then a loan or two before September.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ahoy!Ahoy!  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 13:31

Our Social Media and interaction with the fans is pathetic IMO.

See it all over X etc……constant updates, interaction with fans.

We seem to be so slow, I know it’s still early in the summer but keep the fans engaged.

New kit update would be nice aswell at some point.

Feel we really need to up our game.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 13:33

Quote:

DA-go Par Adonis, Tue 11 Jun 13:03

The squad is stronger than it was at this point in 2023.

It`s meaningless to compare it with the end of the season given that we had 7 loan players - 6 of whom are back at the club they are signed to.

As with other seasons, we`ll likely see additions before the league starts, additions between the season starting and the end of August and then a loan or two before September.

While that is true, the point I was making is that alot needs to be done if the squad has to be an improvement on the end of last season.

Loans or full transfers are irrelevant as they were or will be part of the squad. If we don`t bring in quality, it will be a long, hard season finishing mid table again.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LEGEND85  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 14:00

It`s not really early in the summer the first pre season is two weeks on Friday.

If it wasn`t for the occasional update about the fanzone then it would be very quiet from east end.

We`ve had 3 important updates since the last game of the season, Kane signing, Players being released and season tickets not really much else.

Normally I`ve renewed my season tickets to date I haven`t there is really nothing to get excited about at the moment.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 14:27

Isn`t the explanation for the lack of news of signings most likely to be that the manager is trying to sign quality players, who are hard to come by, rather than mediocre players, who are relatively easy to come by?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 14:48

Could be any number of reasons, wee eck?

Could be players are not wanting to commit yet?
Could be the board are not willing to pay the asking price?
Could be they don`t want to play for Dunfermline?
Could be they don`t like the manager?
Could be they don`t like David Cook?
Could be the agent`s an erse?

just some...

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 14:49

Quote:

Ahoy!Ahoy!, Tue 11 Jun 13:31

Our Social Media and interaction with the fans is pathetic IMO.

See it all over X etc……constant updates, interaction with fans.

We seem to be so slow, I know it’s still early in the summer but keep the fans engaged.

New kit update would be nice aswell at some point.

Feel we really need to up our game.

The communications are poor and lack any obvious strategy generally. I thought we hired someone permanent to look after the Comms and marketing?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 14:57

Could be on holiday so can`t complete medicals etc much like the Edwards deal the other way?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ahoy!Ahoy!  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 15:20

Wee eck, surely he has to change his policy if he’s always waiting on quality players to become available?

It must get to a point where there aren’t necessarily quality players but are better than the level of players we have in certain positions who would strengthen us.

Otherwise we could just be scraping the bottom of the barrel come August full of players no one else wanted.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 15:34

At the end of the season, I think it was mentioned that we had more players under contract than any other club in the division - and we have added to that with Chris Kane.

I am sure we`d all like the entire squad to be finalised by the time pre-season starts, but I do not think we will see any team in the senior leagues where that ends up being the case.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 16:35

The Courier has just run an article about particular positions where we could strengthen. Obviously all the opinion of the author but little to disagree on.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 16:37

Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend like
Date: Tue 11 Jun 14:48

Could be any number of reasons, wee eck?

Could be players are not wanting to commit yet?
Could be the board are not willing to pay the asking price?
Could be they don`t want to play for Dunfermline?
Could be they don`t like the manager?
Could be they don`t like David Cook?
Could be the agent`s an erse?

just some...

I would think the first three are more likely to be factors re quality players rather than journeymen although I doubt we`ll looking to pay transfer fees with so many players out of contract. Not sure about the other three apart from liking the manager. I always think wages are the most important thing to players though.

Topic Originator: Ahoy!Ahoy! like
Date: Tue 11 Jun 15:20

Wee eck, surely he has to change his policy if he’s always waiting on quality players to become available?

I can`t believe anyone is prepared to compromise on quality so early in the transfer window.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 17:24

1 million in the hole and folk think that we will sign quality players. Looks like season tickets are just over 1500 sold which is not good.
Anything on when the new strip is out?

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 11 Jun 17:27

Is Chris Kane not a quality player for the Scottish Championship?

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net