DAFC.net
Home 26 June 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 England team
Topic Originator: USMac  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:00

Why is England playing on the counter after getting the first goal? They have so much talent in that lineup. Yet, they had only 3 shots in the first half, and only 1 on target.

Post Edited (Thu 20 Jun 17:50)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: England 1-0 Serbia
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:37

The talent they have in forward areas is astonishing but they are suspect at the back. They could be fortunate though as the path to the semis could have been tougher for them.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:48

England will not win this competition

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 21:53

Fed up listening to Shearer!🙉
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 22:00

Raymie, I don’t disagree, but wouldn’t you play more expansively with all that talent? Spread the field and show your quality. Even when they controlled the ball in the early going, it was still very tight and easy to defend.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Raymie the Legend  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 22:06

They are not allowed to be expansive. Look at all the subs Southgate made.
How does one of the best players this season not get on the park ? Cole Palmer.

It`s bloody tough being a legend
Ron Atkinson - 1983

Post Edited (Sun 16 Jun 22:06)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 23:01

Good 35mins. Then pretty average at best 2nd half. Looked least impressive of the so called big guns.
Southgate has all the talent but decision making is baffling.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WarringtonPar  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 23:04

Quote:

Raymie the Legend, Sun 16 Jun 22:06

They are not allowed to be expansive. Look at all the subs Southgate made.
How does one of the best players this season not get on the park ? Cole Palmer.

It’s a travesty Palmer isn’t playing, not even a sub appearance, but no surprise as Southgate is just so dull and unadventurous. Incredible talent at his disposal yet caution is always the by-word.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: JTH123  
Date:   Sun 16 Jun 23:14

Anthony Gordon would surely have made an impression cause he`s so direct.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 05:07

Southgate made only 3 subs, and Mainoo came on only at the 86 min mark.

I’d be tempted to invert the midfield triangle and play with 2 #10s, where you could use 2/3 out of Bellingham, Foden and Palmer. But he won’t do that until he’s chasing a game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 06:46

I don`t think Southgate can help himself. As a former defender, all his natural inclinations are to adopt a cautious approach. I almost believed he had overcome these fears at the start of the game last night, but the longer the game went on, the more he reverted to type.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Par  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 08:22

Possibly England have some of the best players in the tournament, held back by an average at best manager.

In Southgate we trust!

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 08:57

Think I saw they have only won their first game once in the last 10 so it was about winning at all costs by the looks of it.

Kane looks to have lost at least a yard of pace now, fell over looking at the free kick more times than touches. Will still get you the goals but not much else unless free kicks are your thing.

They look like a good team being restrained and also a bit fragile. a better team would have beaten them last night and hopefully will at the tournament goes on.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 09:18

For the talent they have on the pitch they could play better football but Southgate restricts this. That Bellingham is some player!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 09:28

This England team being wasted by Southgate is beyond fun. They are shockingly poor to watch, as much as Shearer and Co would claim they play great football
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 09:57

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 17 Jun 06:46

I don`t think Southgate can help himself. As a former defender, all his natural inclinations are to adopt a cautious approach. I almost believed he had overcome these fears at the start of the game last night, but the longer the game went on, the more he reverted to type.

Similar has been said about the pars in recent years!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 10:28

Typical England problem trying to shoe horn players into the midfield forwards areas , Foden has been poor last 2 games ,but will the media allow him to be dropped .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 10:29

Early days yet, they could still find some form or keep grinding out wins, they will be in the latter stages so time will tell when they come up against the stronger nations,

It might be the case that Serbia are actually one of the stronger opposition from the group.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 17:31

What England are and it annoys me lots is, they play for fouls from minor challenges, push the ball past into no mams land and the feighn a push or run into the player. Perhaps it`s being professional, but it`s still cheating. Regarding skirmish in England`s box the England player contact the Serbian leg preventing a foul, perhaps a penalty, so mor physical and get off with it
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 17 Jun 19:30

Quote:

thebear, Mon 17 Jun 17:31

What England are and it annoys me lots is, they play for fouls from minor challenges, push the ball past into no mams land and the feighn a push or run into the player. Perhaps it`s being professional, but it`s still cheating. Regarding skirmish in England`s box the England player contact the Serbian leg preventing a foul, perhaps a penalty, so mor physical and get off with it

There are a lot of double standards from the english commentators. If Ronaldo goes down under the slightest of touches, it`s a dive, he`s a cheat, he`s played for it, if Harry Kane does it, it`s clever forward player, he`s drawn the foul, he`s got his team up the pitch. You never hear them say he has dived although it`s quite clear he is one of the worst for it
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 17:27

England score another (fortuitous) early goal and now are back into their shell, inviting pressure.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 18:28

Good to hear someone (Lineker) finally criticising Englands `hero` Harry Kane. He has a great goalscoring record but I`d hate to play in the same team as him, he`s never where I`d expect the forward to be, leading the line.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 18:29

I should suffix that by saying I hope they keep him on and get pumped
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 18:40

England 3/1 favourites with the bookies. No wonder there are no poor bookies. 33/1:would be more realistic odds given this pedestrian performance.

[IP address logged]
 Re: England team
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Thu 20 Jun 19:18

Quote:

GG Riva, Thu 20 Jun 18:40

England 3/1 favourites with the bookies. No wonder there are no poor bookies. 33/1:would be more realistic odds given this pedestrian performance.

I would disagree. England are notoriously slow starters and sleepwalk their way to the later stages but can produce the goods when it matters.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 05:46

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 20 Jun 19:18

Quote:

I would disagree. England are notoriously slow starters and sleepwalk their way to the later stages but can produce the goods when it matters.

Feel free to disagree, AAPS, but my post was based purely on that dull, insipid display v Denmark. The Danes were much the better team but are not likely to go all the way, are they? You may think England will suddenly come good in the knockout stages, but there`s absolutely no guarantee of that.

If I was an England fan, I`d be extremely frustrated at Southgate`s apparent inability to get anything like the best from his talented squad. In both games, they opened the scoring and then retreated into defence. It worked against Serbia - just - but deservedly failed v Denmark. England`s strength is in the forward areas. To my mind, they should be taking the game to their opponents in the way that Spain and Germany have done so far.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: P  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 06:26

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Thu 20 Jun 19:18

Quote:

58 years of history suggests otherwise on producing the goods when it matters
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 09:10

Recent history of major championships shows us that it’s maybe not wise to judge teams on their group games. Spain won the 2010 World Cup after losing to Switzerland in their opening game. Spain only scored 8 goals in 7 games in that tournament but it was enough to see them win it. Portugal in 2016 drew all their group games and actually only won one game (2-0 v Wales) in 90 minutes during that tournament. Argentina were written off after a loss to Saudi Arabia in the last WC before getting in to gear. These tournaments really only start at the knockout stages imo.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 10:01

Quote:

allparone, Fri 21 Jun 09:10

Recent history of major championships shows us that it’s maybe not wise to judge teams on their group games. Spain won the 2010 World Cup after losing to Switzerland in their opening game. Spain only scored 8 goals in 7 games in that tournament but it was enough to see them win it. Portugal in 2016 drew all their group games and actually only won one game (2-0 v Wales) in 90 minutes during that tournament. Argentina were written off after a loss to Saudi Arabia in the last WC before getting in to gear. These tournaments really only start at the knockout stages imo.

I can`t argue with these stats, allparone, but they are selective. I`m sure I could put together another set that shows that the eventual winners of a tournament were the best team or at least made the final.

Unless England improve significantly - and I can`t see it happening under Southgate - they`re not going to win it. The nations best placed to win it appear to be Germany and Spain. No doubt France, Portugal and the Netherlands will be there or thereabouts. For England, it may depend on their path through the knockout phase. If they don`t win their group they may face Germany in the last 16. I wouldn`t feel too confident of them winning that.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 11:31

Sorry GG, my point wasn’t that it’s not always the best team that wins. My point was that teams shouldn’t be written off due to their performances in the group stage and also that it’s only really the knockout stages that matter and are remembered. I maybe muddied the waters by adding in Portugal’s one win in 90 mins and Spain’s lack of goals but these were just stats that surprised me so I threw them in.

In the last 20 years (10 tournaments) at world cups and euros only 2 teams have went on to win after winning all 3 group games (Italy and France). In that time Italy and France have reached the final having won only 1 of their group games and Greece won it after finishing 2nd in their group.

I agree on your points about England but I do think they’ll top their group with 7 points.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 12:24

I agree Allparone. England could quite likely learn from their tactical and starting eleven errors from these first two games and put it right. I suspect they`ll dispatch Slovenia and then they`ll have a, on paper, path that shouldn`t see them play a top tier side till the semis. The fact is that the Portuguese and French apart no other nation has a attacking line up that can match the English. They are weaker in defence but if Southgate was to allow them to play unleashed I could see them outscoring whoever they come up against. Would be absolutely delighted to be proven wrong.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 15:27

I have to say that I’m surprised at the extensive English criticism of their team that is poised to top their group. Usually, the pundits can’t seem to stop fawning over the team. English expectations are always overblown, but maybe those expectations are even higher this time?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 15:46

Bellingham seemed to be largely anonymous last night, and as for Harry!🤣🤣🤣
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Fri 21 Jun 16:57

Quote:

USMac, Fri 21 Jun 15:27

I have to say that I’m surprised at the extensive English criticism of their team that is poised to top their group. Usually, the pundits can’t seem to stop fawning over the team. English expectations are always overblown, but maybe those expectations are even higher this time?

Happens every tournament. Best 1st eleven EVER!!! Then they don`t destroy every team, drop some points and then it`s doom and gloom. Predictable and enjoyable every time
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 06:50

Quote:

allparone, Fri 21 Jun 11:31

Sorry GG, my point wasn’t that it’s not always the best team that wins. My point was that teams shouldn’t be written off due to their performances in the group stage and also that it’s only really the knockout stages that matter and are remembered. I maybe muddied the waters by adding in Portugal’s one win in 90 mins and Spain’s lack of goals but these were just stats that surprised me so I threw them in.

In the last 20 years (10 tournaments) at world cups and euros only 2 teams have went on to win after winning all 3 group games (Italy and France). In that time Italy and France have reached the final having won only 1 of their group games and Greece won it after finishing 2nd in their group.

I agree on your points about England but I do think they’ll top their group with 7 points.

You`re right, of course. No team should be written off while they`re still in the tournament. It`s a moot point, but what I said was that if England play as they did v Denmark, they were more like 33/1 than 3/1 to win it. Let`s face it, nobody expects Denmark to repeat their 1992 triumph, yet they were the better team v England.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 11:05

It`s been my view for some time now that England have a wealth of talent at their disposal but never seem to gel as a team.
Ok sometimes they perform well but never consistently enough to win a tournament.
I don`t know why.
I suppose if I had that answer I would be a football coach lol

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 12:36

Southgate is quoted today as saying England aren`t fit enough to play a consistent pressing game. I think he was referring to certain players not being at full match fitness because of recent injuries rather than a general lack of fitness. Kane is one who suffered a recent back injury and it has affected his mobility.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shellypar  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 15:00

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 22 Jun 12:36

Southgate is quoted today as saying England aren`t fit enough to play a consistent pressing game. I think he was referring to certain players not being at full match fitness because of recent injuries rather than a general lack of fitness. Kane is one who suffered a recent back injury and it has affected his mobility.

Thats fair enough, but he surely knew beforehand that some might not be fully fit, would u not think hes maybe hanging them out to dry a little bit (idk if thats the saying), because they have players who are more than capable to step up to allow players to regain fitness etc no?

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 15:17

That`s what I thought, shellypar. With 26 players in the squad and up to 5 subs allowed it should be possible to cover for tiredness.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shellypar  
Date:   Sat 22 Jun 15:18

Quote:

wee eck, Sat 22 Jun 15:17

That`s what I thought, shellypar. With 26 players in the squad and up to 5 subs allowed it should be possible to cover for tiredness.

Exactly, and some of the players they have are more than capable, i think hes just making excuses imo

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 01:16

Looking ahead it`s if England beat Slovenia then it looks like they will get either Czechia or Turkey next. Get past that and at worst it`s Belgium in the quarter finals.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: sadindiefreak  
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 02:46

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Sun 23 Jun 01:16

Looking ahead it`s if England beat Slovenia then it looks like they will get either Czechia or Turkey next. Get past that and at worst it`s Belgium in the quarter finals.

I thought the winner of England`s group would face the winner of the tie between group A and Group B runners up, so not Belgium.

Here is an xl document where you should be able to enter your predicted results for different scenarios and see how the draw pans out.

https://hermann-baum.de/excel/UEFA_EURO/en/

Hopefully it works.

Post Edited (Sun 23 Jun 02:50)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 23 Jun 07:59

You`re right SIF. So it`s looking like it`ll be one of Switzerland, Croatia or Italy in the quarters for them.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net