DAFC.net
Home 07 July 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Lewis McCann
Topic Originator: Alf  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 16:24

https://x.com/RangersGossip/status/1808854698570485975?t=yRRsYp6BZlJl3yqvI8W7-g&s=19

Post Edited (Thu 04 Jul 16:27)
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Lewis McCann
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 16:43

And if you believe that, you`ll believe anything.

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 16:49

Good laugh

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 16:57

I stopped reading at goal scorer.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 17:03

Yeah let`s pile on and make one of our own players feel like sh1te.

Way to go.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: SeasonedPar  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 17:15

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 4 Jul 17:03

Way to go.

Yup. Poor banter, even if the story’s just rubbish.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 17:22

Quote:

cammypar 1995, Thu 4 Jul 16:57

I stopped reading at goal scorer.

With respect, you`re also on another thread saying that playing football is a privilege and they should be judged by supporters as such.

Let`s have a reality check, most of our squad are young lads (and a decent bunch by all accounts) who aren`t paid all that much and are trying to make their way in life. How would you feel having your performance and character dissected in public?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 17:33

https://x.com/RangersGossip/status/1808854698570485975?t=yRRsYp6BZlJl3yqvI8W7-g&s=19
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: Bannockburn Par  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 17:49

April fools day come early 😂😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 17:51

I don`t understand the mentality of some of the posters to this forum. We all may have different opinions about players but what benefit is there to the club we all support in demoralising them or worse on a public forum?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 17:53

I could see a club like Rangers being interested truth be told. I`ve said it before but I think the issue with McCann is confidence and positioning. He may be more of a forward than an out and out striker.

However, that tweet is definitely a wind up. If it said £75k I might believe it but no player in the Championship is worth £750k!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 17:54

Quote:

Bannockburn Par, Thu 4 Jul 17:49

April fools day come early 😂😂

Did you read the thread before posting?

Poor stuff.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berry  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 18:02

Lewis is only 23, people always try and compare with the wonder kids that show their qualities at an earlier age, Bellingham a recent good example but it isn’t the case for all, who may develop/mature later than others.

McCann has potential, lots of it, I know we’ve been saying that now for a good few seasons but he has time on his side and it’s nothing to do with his work ethic.

I’ve noticed he’s been stronger as he’s progressed and more physical at times which will help. Started off preseason with the goal at Cove as well.

He is a confidence player though, so I’m sure the pelters he gets from us fans when a competitive ball hasn’t been kicked yet this season will do him the world of good.

Pathetic really.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 18:08

Quote:

Berry, Thu 4 Jul 18:02

Lewis is only 23, people always try and compare with the wonder kids that show their qualities at an earlier age, Bellingham a recent good example but it isn’t the case for all, who may develop/mature later than others.

McCann has potential, lots of it, I know we’ve been saying that now for a good few seasons but he has time on his side and it’s nothing to do with his work ethic.

I’ve noticed he’s been stronger as he’s progressed and more physical at times which will help. Started off preseason with the goal at Cove as well.

He is a confidence player though, so I’m sure the pelters he gets from us fans when a competitive ball hasn’t been kicked yet this season will do him the world of good.

Pathetic really.

Agreed. That tweet is an odd one though. It`s not a parody account and it`s not even a funny "joke" if that`s what it`s meant to be. Perhaps it`s correct but the value is incorrect?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: EastEndTales  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 18:12

Huak tuah!

Ep.17 of East End Tales is out now with Andrius Skerla

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1972630/15082607
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 18:28

Quote:

EastEndTales, Thu 4 Jul 18:12

Huak tuah!

Spit on that thang
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Football_Par  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 19:05

very topical

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 19:06

Honestly, some people need to learn that footballers should have a backbone and take things on forums/from fans with a pinch of salt. They aren’t in a normal day to day job like Joe Bloggs round the corner. They are in a job where praise and criticism will come in equal amounts. They should thrive from it and push to improve and prove doubters wrong.

To say paying fans cant critique a player is such a pathetic answer to said critics. Imagine an actor just gave up at their first bad review……
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 19:13

Think it’s more the assessment on McCann has been done to death all last season so to start again in preseason isn’t really worthwhile is it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 19:15

Quote:

Dave_1885, Thu 4 Jul 19:06

Honestly, some people need to learn that footballers should have a backbone and take things on forums/from fans with a pinch of salt. They aren’t in a normal day to day job like Joe Bloggs round the corner. They are in a job where praise and criticism will come in equal amounts. They should thrive from it and push to improve and prove doubters wrong.

To say paying fans cant critique a player is such a pathetic answer to said critics. Imagine an actor just gave up at their first bad review……

Shocked that you defend this type of absolutely childish post I have to say

Post Edited (Thu 04 Jul 19:15)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 19:16

Very strange article that. Not sure on the point of it tbh as clearly untrue.

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Football_Par  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 19:22

clearly bollox :)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Jeffery  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 19:26

McCann doesn`t really suit being the widest of a three IMO. He should be playing through the middle with wingers/wide forwards on either side to feed him.

I posted this about him in another thread a while ago:-

`A big reason Graham is the top goalscorer in the league is the service he gets from wide in Fitzpatrick (who has the rare gift of being comfortable crossing with either foot), Lawless, and also through the middle from McInroy. I think McCann would flourish in that position and with that kind of service from creative players around him.`

I`d probably play him or Chris Kane.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rusty Shackleford  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 19:42

Quote:

Except praise and criticism doesn`t come in equal amounts, does it? Certainly not around here.

There`s a difference between critique and repetitive pelters or juvenile stuff that does no-one any good.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 19:54

Quote:

Rusty Shackleford, Thu 4 Jul 19:42

Quote:

Except praise and criticism doesn`t come in equal amounts, does it? Certainly not around here.

There`s a difference between critique and repetitive pelters or juvenile stuff that does no-one any good.

That could be said of any player at any level though. It depends on how the player deals with it that matters, and players should be able to handle either, no matter what level they play at - its part of what they are paid for.

Theres nothing juvenile about stating your opinion on a player if you think they aren’t good enough. Has McCann shown in his career so far that he can compete at the top end of the Championship?

Its not against the rules or humanity to critique a player. Its up to the player to prove those critics wrong and the only way they can do that is racking up the positive stats on the pitch. Something which current players are yet to do for us.

People like wee eck and da_no_1 wont criticise any player because they think its uncalled for to state a negative opinion on a fans forum incase the player reads it - but that shouldn’t stop others from posting theirs…..
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 20:21

Aye, it takes a lot of guts to post anonymous criticism of a player knowing he won`t come back in kind. Maybe the critics could tell the players face to face what they think of them and how to improve. All this macho stuff about players having to take it wouldn`t apply in any other place of work.

Post Edited (Thu 04 Jul 20:22)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 20:29

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 4 Jul 20:21

Aye, it takes a lot of guts to post anonymous criticism of a player knowing he won`t come back in kind. Maybe the critics could tell the players face to face what they think of them and how to improve. All this macho stuff about players having to take it wouldn`t apply in any other place of work.

Its not “any place of work” though is it? Its sport, where people are paid money to perform at their best for others. Sometimes they just aren’t good enough for the level they are at…

Players have the chance to “come back in kind” as well - by performing better on the pitch, working harder to improve and also with their community work. Now nobody has said these players don’t do the latter two, and their community work is praised to the high heavens, as it should be, but they are being paid to perform on the pitch.

Opinions vary, they aren’t “macho stuff”, they are just different. If I wasn’t good enough at my job, Id be given a chance to improve and if I didn’t Id be removed, just like anybody else in their line of work. Footballers should be the same…..

Post Edited (Thu 04 Jul 20:30)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 20:39

They are just the same. They`re on fixed term contracts and have to satisfy their employers to get another one. The employers are more qualified to make these judgements than anybody else. I`ve said it before. Some folk have a completely different idea from me about what it means to support a football club. Each to his own.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 20:39

Quote:

Agree about players’ mentality to prove doubters wrong, but we I certainly can’t comment on any players ability to cope with crass comment. Some folk try to ready to make a cheap joke about one of our own players.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 20:44

Even if true (which it’s extremely doubtful) I’d be surprised if Rangers could actually afford that kind of money and any club allowing them to do installments etc would be daft! Even though they won’t admit it themselves it’s pretty well known the club is on its knees trying to compete with Celtic - relying on shady loans from shady benefactors over the last few years to keep themselves afloat! Like happened to Hamilton, these benefactors won’t be available forever!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 20:46

Quote:

SeasonedPar, Thu 4 Jul 20:39

Quote:

Agree about players’ mentality to prove doubters wrong, but we I certainly can’t comment on any players ability to cope with crass comment. Some folk try to ready to make a cheap joke about one of our own players.

I agree that personal insults should not happen - but saying a player cant jump/win a header, pass, finish etc isn’t a personal insult - its a view on their footballing ability, which is what fans pay to watch.

You wouldn’t pay for a cinema ticket, then not critique the film if its poor, would you?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 20:48

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 4 Jul 20:39

They are just the same. They`re on fixed term contracts and have to satisfy their employers to get another one. The employers are more qualified to make these judgements than anybody else. I`ve said it before. Some folk have a completely different idea from me about what it means to support a football club. Each to his own.

But the employers are also on fixed term contracts - and who pays for those contracts? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Customers are allowed to express a dislike in the product they pay for if its put across in the correct manner…..to say they aren’t is just wild and makes you look like you don’t care about mediocrity.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 21:03

I think we’re all aligned really.

It’s not all sunshine and rainbows, players will not perform well for periods and I see no issue with them being critiqued, providing it’s constructive and not insulting.

Far too many times in the past, we’ve went overboard calling players useless, waste of a jersey etc etc which I don’t think is particularly helpful.

McCann just as an example, he’s only 23, still a young lad at the end of the day as are many others.

I struggle to understand how we’ve started already raising question marks again on players though when a competitive ball hasn’t been kicked yet.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 21:15

Quote:

Berry, Thu 4 Jul 21:03
I struggle to understand how we’ve started already raising question marks again on players though when a competitive ball hasn’t been kicked yet.

Its a continuation of previous seasons performances I think.

Maybe a bit premature as nobody knows what players have worked on in the summer, but also tactically it sounds lime we haven’t changed much so more than likely frustration towards that as well.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 21:23

I like Lewis. He`s big, strong, hard working. He has all the attributes to be a Premiership player, someone like Jordan White or Simon Murray. He`s only just turned 23, already played 139 professional games, scored 21 goals. A lot of that time he has been playing in a struggling team, low on confidence. I reckon confidence will be a big thing for him, I feel if he was playing in a team doing well he would really kick on.

We, as supporters, need to get behind him
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 22:19

He has the physical attributes. It`s a big season for him this year to kick on a bit. Like everyone, there is room for improvement, and no doubt he will be working to do that. There is no lack of effort on his part. Sometimes his head does seem to go down in my view but that`s because he is keen to do well. He just needs to keep his head up and keep plugging away. He does need to improve his decision making but that can be worked on. I hope he can rise the the challenge this season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 22:38

He’s strong, he wins his fair share of aerial battles and has the work ethic.

I think with someone up top supporting him this could be a good season for him to progress with the experience of Kane, even dare I say it Wighton if he stays injury free.

I think because of the role we have put him in at times hasn’t been helpful, he’s been up top on his own in a number of games and we’ve not had a great midfield in previous seasons, we’ve lacked a real attacking mentality as a squad which isn’t going to help and it’s a lot of responsibility for him to take on whilst he’s trying to develop as well.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 22:39

Quote:

Dave_1885, Thu 4 Jul 20:46

Quote:

SeasonedPar, Thu 4 Jul 20:39

Quote:

I agree that personal insults should not happen - but saying a player cant jump/win a header, pass, finish etc isn’t a personal insult - its a view on their footballing ability, which is what fans pay to watch.

You wouldn’t pay for a cinema ticket, then not critique the film if its poor, would you?

Some comments are personal insults.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 4 Jul 23:19

If you can`t see why a post like this is damaging for a young man`s confidence and mental health then I worry for you and those you care for.

Saying any of our players can`t do the basics needed to make it as a footballer is just stupid.

Last night someone on another forum asked if Lewis had "ever scored a header" about half an hour after he did just that.

Give the guy a break. He`s one of our own.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 04:18

Anyone who was at the Arbroath game prior to Christmas last year when Lewis pulled up with a hamstring would confirm the majority of supporters who attended that day are behind him.
He plays with confidence and anyone who believes that decrying someone at under 23 years old about their performances maybe doesn’t understand how to get the best out of a 23 year old. Guidance, advice, cajoling are helpful, constant criticism is not.
I believe the earlier poster who says the service to the forwards in our style of play is not helpful for a striker. I think the problems lie elsewhere from last season.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 04:57

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 4 Jul 17:03

Way to go.

He is a striker who has played 139 times and scoring on 21 occasions is hardly prolific now is it ?

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 05:55

Quote:

da_no_1, Thu 4 Jul 23:19

If you can`t see why a post like this is damaging for a young man`s confidence and mental health then I worry for you and those you care for.

Saying any of our players can`t do the basics needed to make it as a footballer is just stupid.

Last night someone on another forum asked if Lewis had "ever scored a header" about half an hour after he did just that.

Give the guy a break. He`s one of our own.

I don’t think anyone has said he doesn’t have the basic skills to make it as a footballer, I think what people have been conveying is that they don’t believe the skills he does have, currently, are good enough to be pushing for promotion from this league.

Now thats up to him to prove those people wrong, on the pitch, by doing more for the team. As has been pointed out previously, his scoring record isn’t exactly prolific. I get a lot of appearances were when he was younger etc, but he’s now 23 and really should be kicking on. At 23 Id already been made redundant twice and was starting another new job and had to impress - its about how you apply yourself to your job that gives you the rewards.

And it doesn’t just go for McCann either btw - people should be allowed to express opinions on all players, both positive and constructively negative, without being called out as childish and inappropriate. If players are taking offence to a handful of comments on a fans forum then the club really need to invest in a psychologist.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: thebear  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 09:05

I don`t rate mcann, and he has probably missed the big boat, but he has done no wrong and deserves our resoect
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kba990309  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 10:42

He`s a hard worker when in the team and I`d rather have him than some the players in our squad right now. Think also he`d be a better player when on the left of a front three.

Keith allan
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Ahoy!Ahoy!  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 11:07

He started last season on fire then disappeared.
What frustrates me most about him is he does one run down the line and seems like he’s totally done for the rest of the game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 11:19

For me, his best game last season was our first game against Queens Park at Hampden when, I think he scored two, including a screamer of a free kick. If he had pushed on from there, he wouldn`t be with us now but off to bigger things. He has all the physical attributes but seems not to use them to full potential.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 11:47

He doesn`t seem to shirk hard work according to the manager. Talking about Josh Edwards dedication to improving himself he said - “The one thing about Josh is that he worked ever so hard, this is not through chance. He has wanted to do extras, he has been pushing himself every single day. He was relentless in what he wanted to do whether it was coming to me or Dave for extras or wanting to watch his footage, just bursting himself every day in training. The amount of times that we have had to pull him back, Matty Todd and Lewis McCann the same.”

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kozmasrightfoot  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 14:45

If someone mentions McCann to me all I see in my head is that 30 yard free kick that flew into the postage stamp. Wonderful it was.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 17:25

I don`t think anyone is doubting his work rate it is more his ability as a striker he just doesn`t score enough goals. At the start of last season when we played the rovers I`m sure. We played him wide left and he looked sharp I actually thought a front 3 of him KRH and someone in the middle would be quite dangerous. That never materialised and McCann never recreated the same performance as he did that day either.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 17:52

No one scores a lot in our lineups, it`s a by product of the system we play.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 18:00

Quote:

weemike, Fri 5 Jul 17:52

No one scores a lot in our lineups, it`s a by product of the system we play.

Its not about the way we play, its about his ability at times - zero confidence when through on goal 1v1 that he just wont finish it because his finishing is poor in those instances. His finishing is better when its a snap shot or he doesn’t have time to think about it - or a free kick 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 18:52

A stinker who doesn’t score for over 5 months in a row in this league isn’t really a striker and he played a decent amount of games. Same goes for jak and he was let go. He even had penalty chances to finally get back in the team and still missed.

He doesn’t have a dedicated position, not got the nouse or game intelligence to play upfront, not a winger not a target man as not great in the air for flicks ons or holding the ball up. So what is he and where do you play him to get a contribution at this level?

Just doesn’t do anything well enough and after 5-6 years in and around the team he still hasn’t carved out a role or position. In some ways he’s better without the ball than with it.

As I’ve said a fair few times, working your socks off and putting a shift in will only get your far…

Back to being drenched in my own negativity….

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: AdamAntsParsStripe  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 20:06

Left side of attack is definitely his best position but I’m guessing injuries and competing with other left sided colleagues forced the hand of the manager.
Lots of huff and puff but he’s not playing to his strengths as a target man imo.

Zwei Pints Bier und ein Päckchen Chips bitte
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 20:21

Quote:

Berkey, Fri 5 Jul 18:52

A stinker who doesn’t score for over 5 months in a row in this league isn’t really a striker and he played a decent amount of games. Same goes for jak and he was let go. He even had penalty chances to finally get back in the team and still missed.

He doesn’t have a dedicated position, not got the nouse or game intelligence to play upfront, not a winger not a target man as not great in the air for flicks ons or holding the ball up. So what is he and where do you play him to get a contribution at this level?

Just doesn’t do anything well enough and after 5-6 years in and around the team he still hasn’t carved out a role or position. In some ways he’s better without the ball than with it.

As I’ve said a fair few times, working your socks off and putting a shift in will only get your far…

It sucks the life out of me just reading your posts. What a pit of absolute negativity you must wallow in. I hope you manage to snap out of it, and soon
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 20:35

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 5 Jul 20:21

Quote:

It sucks the life out of me just reading your posts. What a pit of absolute negativity you must wallow in. I hope you manage to snap out of it, and soon

And here in lies the issue with .net 😂 the majority of what Berkey has stated there is correct….he hasn’t been offensive towards Lewis, but because its negative based it shouldn’t be allowed to be highlight according to some 🤦🏻‍♂️ if McCann scores 3 goals this season is he still going to be good enough?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 20:51

No one is going to be prolific and score shed loads of goals in mcpakes systems. We could have brian Graham up front, and he isn`t gonna score loads when he is starved of service. We are set up to keep it tight. 3 at the back with two sitting midfielders. If the wing backs are not bombing up and down the park, then we only have 3 in attacking positions. 1 striker and 2 supporting.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Kba990309  
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 21:22

Quote:

AdamAntsParsStripe, Fri 5 Jul 20:06

Left side of attack is definitely his best position but I’m guessing injuries and competing with other left sided colleagues forced the hand of the manager.
Lots of huff and puff but he’s not playing to his strengths as a target man imo.

Spot on Adam, he`s also got plenty of energy and strength which is good for the team.

Keith allan
[IP address logged]
Date:   Fri 5 Jul 21:31

Quote:

Dave_1885, Fri 5 Jul 20:35

Quote:

red-star-par, Fri 5 Jul 20:21

Quote:

And here in lies the issue with .net 😂 the majority of what Berkey has stated there is correct….he hasn’t been offensive towards Lewis, but because its negative based it shouldn’t be allowed to be highlight according to some 🤦🏻‍♂️ if McCann scores 3 goals this season is he still going to be good enough?

In your opinion what Berkey says is correct. Believe it or not I don`t disagree with everything he says.

My issue is he never says anything positive. Every single one of his posts is negative. Without fail.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net