DAFC.net
Home 16 September 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Early season form
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 13:32

Should we take any comfort from the fact that the four teams we have played so far in the League occupy positions 1 to 4 in the table? Ayr and Falkirk are the form teams at the moment and Livi were always going to be hard to beat. Let`s see what the next five games bring.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Early season form
Topic Originator: NMCmassive  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 13:38

Good point Eck. I’d also say we’ve played them when we’ve been at our weakest. Hopefully yesterday’s performances (hopefully) a couple of extra faces in and we’ll be stronger again.

I was seeing nothing but relegation for us until yesterday but I’m a lot less negative today - almost positive tbh

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DJAS  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 14:36

No from me. We have been poor for a long time.

Better yesterday and I’ll take that as something but I’m not going to look into the opposition positions too much.

Predictor league winner 2012/2013
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsfan97  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 16:12

Not really cause the teams we’ve played haven’t been much better tbh. Wasn’t impressed with Hamilton or Livingston yet we didn’t pick
Up points

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 16:29

That`s funny because usually the mantra on here is `The table doesn`t lie` so surely the top four are better than the rest?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 16:49

Fact ,we are 2 points adrift of the playoff place, with a derby game v a team we lost 5 times last season, are they as good as they were last season , no, are we no.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 16:54

Talk of play-off places, at either end of the table, after four games is a wee bit premature surely? ☺️☺️☺️
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parathletic  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 17:05

It will even itself out once we give all the other teams an opportunity to take points off us.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 17:10

You must be fun to be around.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: RossF  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 17:28

The only positive I could take is that every team I`ve seen defeat us this season have not impressed me. Our defeats are down to awful errors on our end and a complete lack of creativity. The goal we conceded yesterday was the first you can put down to bad luck, as our keeper was catching it, if it didn`t deflect. If we sort our basic errors out, I have no doubt we will be safe. Is McPake the man to sort this? So far, there is no evidence this season to say he is. We still badly need a winger and full back in the door that will improve our starting 11.

I do wonder how we would fair against Airdrie, Raith and Morton at the moment. It’s typical we will most likely play Raith when they have a new manager in the door, which usually gives players a boost.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Berkey  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 18:13

Form towards the end of the season was terrible too so we’re on such a poor run all in. We’re going to have to pull a result out of the bag away at raith or Partick to keep pace with those above us and the longer we go without a win the harder it will be to shake it.

We’re still missing some quality going forward, a decent left winger will help as McCann works hard but we need a more at this level. Didn’t take long for mcpake to drop wotherspoon so it’s positive he’s now able to drop players who are not performing.

We do have a better first 11 now but also looking at the bench there’s a massive drop off in quality should we pick up any injuries.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 18:42

`We’re going to have to pull a result out of the bag away at raith or Partick to keep pace with those above us...`

Berkey, I`ve often wondered if you really are a Pars` fan. Surely any fan knows our next league match is the Rovers at HOME on Friday 13th?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: the saline hill puma  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 18:48

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 1 Sept 18:42

`We’re going to have to pull a result out of the bag away at raith or Partick to keep pace with those above us...`

Berkey, I`ve often wondered if you really are a Pars` fan. Surely any fan knows our next league match is the Rovers at HOME on Friday 13th?

It`s amazing you pick up on a wee error like that,but don`t dispute anything he actually said about our form or player performance.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 19:03

It`s not just that. I`m not the only one who questions his cockeyed criticism of recruiting players the management team is familiar with. We`re in the Scottish Championship so it isn`t a blinding revelation to suggest we would improve with better players. He never identifies any who would be within our budget though although he seems to know who our biggest earners are.

Most of his analysis could be done from highlights and match threads. He always ends up identifying the same players as the weaknesses whether they`re playing or not. If the manager chooses Wotherspoon it`s a mistake; if he doesn`t start him, as happened yesterday, it`s a positive. I`m amazed that someone who hasn`t made a positive post about the club in years attracts such admiration on here.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 19:06

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 1 Sept 19:03

It`s not just that. I`m not the only one who questions his cockeyed criticism of recruiting players the management team is familiar with. We`re in the Scottish Championship so it isn`t a blinding revelation to suggest we would improve with better players. He never identifies any who would be within our budget though although he seems to know who our biggest earners are.

Most of his analysis could be done from highlights and match threads. He always ends up identifying the same players as the weaknesses whether they`re playing or not. If the manager chooses Wotherspoon it`s a mistake; if he doesn`t start him, as happened yesterday, it`s a positive. I`m amazed that someone who hasn`t made a positive post about the club in years attracts such admiration on here.

Again debate his points not the poster. What you posted is attacking a person rather than disputing the points he makes. It`s pathetic.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 19:07

I`ll add you won`t dispute lots of what he(or she) posts as quite a bit of it is accurate

Post Edited (Sun 01 Sep 19:07)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 19:21

I thought I made my view clear on his comments about signing players known to the management team and the fact that he criticise players whether they play in a particular match or not. We`d all like to recruit better players and I agree a priority should be a left-sided attacking player but availability and budget might be a problem.

For some reason you are more likely to get criticised on here for making a positive comment about the club than a negative one. It`s something I`ve never understood to be honest.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 19:32

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 1 Sept 19:21

I thought I made my view clear on his comments about signing players known to the management team and the fact that he criticise players whether they play in a particular match or not. We`d all like to recruit better players and I agree a priority should be a left-sided attacking player but availability and budget might be a problem.

For some reason you are more likely to get criticised on here for making a positive comment about the club than a negative one. It`s something I`ve never understood to be honest.

All well and good but that has nothing to do with points on this thread. You are just attacking someone based on what they have posted elsewhere on the forum rather than addressing points in the post on this subject. You are being pathetic imo

Post Edited (Sun 01 Sep 19:33)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: macapar  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 19:32

No wee Eck no.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 19:33

He`s not "attacking" him. He`s disagreeing with him.

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 19:57

What has he said on here that he hasn`t said hundreds of times before? He`s like a broken record.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 20:19

Quote:

wee eck, Sun 1 Sept 19:57

What has he said on here that he hasn`t said hundreds of times before? He`s like a broken record.

A bit like yourself attacking the poster rather than addressing the points he makes then. It`s boring patter

Post Edited (Sun 01 Sep 20:20)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Andrew283  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 20:20

He`s not the only broken record on here
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 20:23

When the league is in its nascent stages, the only thing of proves is that they`ve played us!

Let`s see where Hamilton in particular are at the end of the season, if not the end of the quarter.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 21:54

Quote:

the saline hill puma, Sun 1 Sept 20:19

Quote:

A bit like yourself attacking the poster rather than addressing the points he makes then. It`s boring patter

He`s not attacking him.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 21:54

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 1 Sept 20:20

He`s not the only broken record on here

True story

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 21:56

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 1 Sep 21:54

Quote:

Quote:

He`s not attacking him.

Berkey could post that the sky is blue and you 2 would reject that
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 22:03

It`s not always blue though is it?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sun 1 Sep 22:44

Quote:

Andrew283, Sun 1 Sept 21:56

Quote:

da_no_1, Sun 1 Sep 21:54

Quote:

Quote:

He`s not attacking him.

Berkey could post that the sky is blue and you 2 would reject that

It would be war and peace between 3 and 4.50 though. Some of us would be too busy watching the game.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 06:48

Dunno why I`m getting involved in this but here goes anyway. 🙂

1. Berkey does make some good, valid points, BUT......

2., He does repeat them again and again on different threads.

I`ve come to the conclusion that he has an almost pathological hatred of McPake and Mackay and appears to believe that the Pars onfield problems would disappear if only the club would sack them. Please correct me if I`m wrong, Berkey.

I`m still cutting the manager and his assistant some slack because we have no idea what restrictions they may be working under and it`s probably reasonable to assume that they have not been able to bring in all the players they would have liked due to financial constraints. It`s all very well for the manager or CEO to say "Player Z was our first choice for this position" - they`re hardly going to say "We wanted player X but his wage demands were too high, then we tried to get player Y but he was offered a longer deal by a rival club."

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: cammypar 1995  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 07:14

To be fair we have had 1 good result this season. Hardly setting the heather alight. Albeit a good result but we still are losing poor goals. We rode our luck a little in the second half. We need more from our higher earners. There is no way we should be looking at Sutherland offering more than a wighton or MOH. Young seemed to be preferred to breen. If these guys are now surplus to requirements we shouldn`t renew their deals. Frees up wages to sign players who can play more games and make a better impact when required.

I agree with Berkey we need to start getting points on the board sooner rather than later. Hopefully this result changes out season but let`s just wait and see.

c'mon the pars
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 08:01

"I agree with Berkey"

I`m shocked. He said we need more points on the board sooner rather than later.and you agree with him? Well fk a duck, so do I. Hardly revolutionary thinking.

I hope we win the league with a record points total.

Post Edited (Mon 02 Sep 08:01)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: TAFKA_Super_Petrie  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 08:29

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 2 Sept 08:01

"I agree with Berkey"

I`m shocked. He said we need more points on the board sooner rather than later.and you agree with him? Well fk a duck, so do I. Hardly revolutionary thinking.

Need 91+ to beat the record total so it is still possible....

---------------------------------------------------------------

"People always talk about Ronaldinho and magic, but I didn't see him today. I saw Henrik Larsson; that's where the magic was."
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 11:41

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 2 Sep 08:01

"I agree with Berkey"

Mate, go touch some grass ffs
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 12:31

GG I don’t think that’s quite right re mcpake and Mackay. Thought he did a good job getting us out of league one given the hand he was dealt.

Whether mcpake was hung out to dry this season or not we were not being set up to compete in games and whether that was a point being proved or not I don’t think it helped his cause and I have lost the faith in him.

But I’m of the opinion that something needed to change. If mcpake changed his tactics to have a go and get more out of the players by playing him in thier preferred positions then results might actually improve, he’s finally trying 4 at the back so that’s something. His signing policy needs to change too but there are signs that it has with cooper and fogarty coming in to finally give some legs , workrate and pace to the team.

We are struggling as mcpake has been poor in the market and too loyal to existing and old friends, the bench on sat showed that, loads of experience but not one who is looking like they can make an impact at this level.

He can of course turn it around by getting this team playing attacking football and having a go but you need to bring in the right players for that, and he had not and Witherspoon not the answer. Hopefully another attacker due in this week on loan which should help too.

The post below replying to me is by one of .nets finest champions of mediocrity!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 12:39

Quote:

Andrew283, Mon 2 Sept 11:41

Quote:

da_no_1, Mon 2 Sep 08:01

"I agree with Berkey"

Mate, go touch some grass ffs

Mate, what does that even mean ffs?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 13:58

I didn`t think Ayr were anything other than workmanlike and average.

Their keeper didn`t exactly have the busiest of afternoons on Saturday and our new man turned out to be the difference between drawing and losing with two great saves late(ish) on.

One point from a possible twelve, based on 1 goal scored says it all.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The Boss  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 14:10

I just don’t think 6 wins out of our last 34 games is good enough for the money that is put into the club. It really isn’t a good return. At the end of the day this will fall on McPake.

I like black and white (dreaming of black and white)
You like black and white
Run run away

Post Edited (Mon 02 Sep 14:12)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 14:25

Quote:

veteraneastender, Mon 2 Sept 13:58

I didn`t think Ayr were anything other than workmanlike and average.

Their keeper didn`t exactly have the busiest of afternoons on Saturday and our new man turned out to be the difference between drawing and losing with two great saves late(ish) on.

One point from a possible twelve, based on 1 goal scored says it all.

It doesn`t say it all.
It only brings us up to a fortnight ago.
We have virtually sacked the board, made a few decent looking signings, and, in their first match, apparently put in a much improved performance against a team we expected to slaughter us. Hopefully, that will improve confidence, and we can kick on from here.
Let`s see how the next few weeks pan out.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 14:26

I must say I haven`t checked this stat of 6 wins in 34 games (didn`t someone say it was 6 in 31?) but who decides where such a run starts? Is it whatever produces the least flattering sequence for the manager? Of course if you consider this to be the overriding criterion we would have to achieve a phenomenal number of wins in the near future to make the cumulative stat respectable and incremental improvement week by week isn`t going to make a dramatic difference. Can anyone say what an acceptable stat would be? As we can`t do anything about the past maybe we should start a new sequence from last Saturday.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 14:29

0 wins in our last 9 league games so let`s hope we can start a new sequence sooner rather than later.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 14:39

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 02 Sep 14:26

I must say I haven`t checked this stat of 6 wins in 34 games (didn`t someone say it was 6 in 31?) but who decides where such a run starts? Is it whatever produces the least flattering sequence for the manager? Of course if you consider this to be the overriding criterion we would have to achieve a phenomenal number of wins in the near future to make the cumulative stat respectable and incremental improvement week by week isn`t going to make a dramatic difference. Can anyone say what an acceptable stat would be? As we can`t do anything about the past maybe we should start a new sequence from last Saturday.

31 takes it back to start of the year against Raith. 34 takes it back to our last win away at Airdrie. I think this is fair considering our football and form has generally been awful since then.

I think our longest undefeated streak is about 4 games. Just beating that would be an achievement for McPake.

You like black and white
Run run away

Post Edited (Mon 02 Sep 14:40)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 15:06

`34 takes it back to our last win away at Airdrie.`

What`s the significance of that game? I must have imagined seeing us win at Cappielow and Gayfield in consecutive weeks in March.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 15:10

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 02 Sep 15:06

`34 takes it back to our last win away at Airdrie.`

What`s the significance of that game? I must have imagined seeing us win at Cappielow and Gayfield in consecutive weeks in March.

Well you can take it right back to the start of last season if you want. You must think 6 wins in 34 is good going.

You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 15:12

I`m just questioning the basis of your stats and it seems as if you`ve f***ed up!

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 15:40

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 02 Sep 15:12

I`m just questioning the basis of your stats and it seems as if you`ve f***ed up!

Why is that? We have won 6 out of last 34 games? Is that incorrect?

You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 15:53

I`ve no idea but you said it started from our last away win at Airdrie (you still haven`t explained why that game was chosen as the start) and we won two away games in a row in March so I have some doubts.

McPake`s first goal was to get us out of League 1 which he did. His second goal was to keep us in the Championship which he did. It`s a bit early to judge him on season 3 I think.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 16:02

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 02 Sep 15:53

I`ve no idea but you said it started from our last away win at Airdrie (you still haven`t explained why that game was chosen as the start) and we won two away games in a row in March so I have some doubts.

McPake`s first goal was to get us out of League 1 which he did. His second goal was to keep us in the Championship which he did. It`s a bit early to judge him on season 3 I think.

So it isn’t incorrect and you’ve made an erse of trying to correct me?

I took it back to the Airdrie away game because it shows we only have 6 wins out of 34 and not just the 31. It shows an even worse record. It Shows how much the fans have had to suffer. McPake is quite rightly being judged on the standard of football, going out the league cup against Forfar/Cove, and the lack of wins at home and away. Let’s see how he does against East Fife.

You like black and white
Run run away
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 16:06

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 2 Sept 12:31

GG I don’t think that’s quite right re mcpake and Mackay. Thought he did a good job getting us out of league one given the hand he was dealt.

Whether mcpake was hung out to dry this season or not we were not being set up to compete in games and whether that was a point being proved or not I don’t think it helped his cause and I have lost the faith in him.

But I’m of the opinion that something needed to change. If mcpake changed his tactics to have a go and get more out of the players by playing him in thier preferred positions then results might actually improve, he’s finally trying 4 at the back so that’s something. His signing policy needs to change too but there are signs that it has with cooper and fogarty coming in to finally give some legs , workrate and pace to the team.

We are struggling as mcpake has been poor in the market and too loyal to existing and old friends, the bench on sat showed that, loads of experience but not one who is looking like they can make an impact at this level.

He can of course turn it around by getting this team playing attacking football and having a go but you need to bring in the right players for that, and he had not and Witherspoon not the answer. Hopefully another attacker due in this week on loan which should help too.

OK, fair enough, Berkey. Thanks for clarifying. I did say you came across as being totally hacked off with our management team. All those bitingly sarcastic posts had me totally convinced. Happy to see that you`re now giving them some credit for past achievements.

I think we can both agree that if he`d been allowed to bring in all the players he wanted to, we`d be in a far better place. He has dropped heavy hints that financial constraints made recruitment of quality players extremely difficult. Why would he do that and risk the sack if it was untrue?

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 16:06

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 2 Sept 15:53

At this level, in the championship with mcpake as manager, we have won 11 drew 13 and lost 16,

Out of a possible 120pts, we have obtained 46.

In 40 league games, we have scored 44 goals and conceded 54.

Post Edited (Mon 02 Sep 16:10)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 16:16

I doubt if the board set him a target based on 40 games. I suspect they set him a target for the season and we`re only four games into it. It`s all a bit academic, especially with the ownership issues unresolved.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: weemike  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 16:24

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 2 Sept 16:16

I doubt if the board set him a target based on 40 games. I suspect they set him a target for the season and we`re only four games into it. It`s all a bit academic, especially with the ownership issues unresolved.

We can still judge him on 1 game, 10 games, or 40 games as supporters.

And even if they have set him a target for the season, at what point do we pull the plug? When the target is unachievable? The damage will already be done by then.

We have 5 games of the 1st 1/4 left. We need to start picking up wins.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 16:32

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 2 Sept 14:26

I think to look at this more holistically, you would have to look at similar stats for the other teams in the championship. You could argue that the end of staying in the championship is the most purposeful stat to reflect on.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 16:55

The purpose of this thread was to look forward but, as with so many threads on here, it got bogged down in the past.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 17:10

The game on Saturday v East Fife, they are 2 leagues below us, 10 points above Forfar ,who beat us at home.
East Fife have scored 15 goals in 5 games losing 6 goals, what is an acceptable result on Saturday? For me a win only

Post Edited (Mon 02 Sep 18:23)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: alwaysaPar  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 17:27

Quote:

wee eck, Mon 2 Sept 16:55

The purpose of this thread was to look forward but, as with so many threads on here, it got bogged down in the past.

You started the thread with a question about the previous 4 games which was a statement about the past and people have, with their own opinions, answered that question you set out.

You then had a closing statement of let`s see what the next 5 games bring without an opinion on how you think they might go

Given that the title of the thread is Early season form, the subject of the post is clearly pointing to a discussion of the first 4 games even if you meant otherwise......
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 17:42

Yeah, but I wasn`t anticipating a discussion covering the last 31 or 35 games! I was simply suggesting that maybe there was the prospect of some light at the end of the tunnel. I gave up trying to forecast the results of football matches years ago.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 17:45

GG we suffered a perfect storm in terms of a lack of investment and what we did invest was not in the right type of players, in particular when it came to experienced players who the management knew but they did not compliment the team at all so it felt very much likes giving old friends a contract.

We had 19 players already signed up for this season and the team was terribly unbalanced with no pace and hardly any legs in the spine of the team, that’s defo on mcpake. He then added wotherspoon!

If he can bring in some good attacking players with some quality (particularly a left sided one) then he’ll at least give himself a chance to show he can put together a team capable of more than a drab grinding out of just enough points to stay above 8th. Cooper a decent start but it’s going to be a steep curve for him.

If he does manage it to turn this around and is able to replace those experienced pro’s who have already been relegated to the bench next summer then with some good quality sourced from outside his usual network he might well have a chance to fight it out near the top.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 17:56

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 2 Sept 17:45

GG we suffered a perfect storm in terms of a lack of investment and what we did invest was not in the right type of players, in particular when it came to experienced players who the management knew but they did not compliment the team at all so it felt very much likes giving old friends a contract.

We had 19 players already signed up for this season and the team was terribly unbalanced with no pace and hardly any legs in the spine of the team, that’s defo on mcpake. He then added wotherspoon!

If he can bring in some good attacking players with some quality (particularly a left sided one) then he’ll at least give himself a chance to show he can put together a team capable of more than a drab grinding out of just enough points to stay above 8th. Cooper a decent start but it’s going to be a steep curve for him.

If he does manage it to turn this around and is able to replace those experienced pro’s who have already been relegated to the bench next summer then with some good quality sourced from outside his usual network he might well have a chance to fight it out near the top.

Hard to argue with most of that, Berkey. I`m sure the manager would be the first to hold his hand up and admit that he`s made some mistakes. Hindsight, eh? I can`t believe sacking the management team now would be a wise move - better to release more cash to bring in a few quality signings. I keep thinking that when we sacked the hapless Peter Grant, we replaced him with the equally disastrous John Hughes. Frying pans and fires, spring to mind.... 🙄

Post Edited (Mon 02 Sep 17:57)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Indiapar  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 18:05

Quote:

GG Riva, Mon 2 Sept 17:56

Quote:

Berkey, Mon 2 Sept 17:45

Hard to argue with most of that, Berkey. I`m sure the manager would be the first to hold his hand up and admit that he`s made some mistakes. Hindsight, eh? I can`t believe sacking the management team now would be a wise move - better to release more cash to bring in a few quality signings. I keep thinking that when we sacked the hapless Peter Grant, we replaced him with the equally disastrous John Hughes. Frying pans and fires, spring to mind.... 🙄

Have to agree. The priority is to bring in one or two to strengthen the squad, not a new manager.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 18:08

Ar this point McPake has a worse points per game record than Hughes did in the Championship.I should add that I`m not asking for him to come back 😀
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 22:31

why would we count friendly game results? Pep would have got the sack after getting routed by Celtic if that was the case. Friendly games are irrelevant. Unless of course you want to twist things slightly to try and prove a useless point.

I see absolutely no point in whoever is trying to drum up support for getting the manager sacked at this point. Last season was just ridiculous at times and ultimately we were safe. The ownership issues over the summer has had an affect on recruitment but we’ve just signed up 3 players and got ourselves a good result against the early league leaders. What good would removing the management team do now? Absolutely nothing… The wee team struggling to get a manager, what makes us think we’d be any different?

Give McPake a bit of time to get his squad together then review it later on. Hopefully fresh faces bring better performances which will bring better results.

COYP
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 22:32

Quote:

parathletic, Mon 2 Sep 18:08

Ar this point McPake has a worse points per game record than Hughes did in the Championship.I should add that I`m not asking for him to come back 😀

Do you think McPakes opening speech also included the words “we’re going to get relegated” 🤔

COYP
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Paralex  
Date:   Mon 2 Sep 23:29

Too much fantasising on display. "Let`s just change the management team". "Let`s just get a brilliant main striker or left winger". As if they grow on trees. "Let`s just wave a magic wand", and everything will be fine. Maybe we need to "Let`s just stop and be realistic for a change". We have very limited finances. We`ve had a poor start to the season. Now our main priority is making sure we stay in the division. Will sacking the management team sort things overnight? It may make things worse, as previous experience has shown. How many managers did our arch rivals from Grangemouth sack before they got McGlynn? And how many chances did they give him to get out of league 1? They could well have sacked him two seasons ago, when both we and Airdrie left them trailing well behind. A quick fix doesn`t seem feasible but hard work and application to the task might just pull us through.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 08:32

Our priority isn`t just to stay in the league. It is to reach the playoffs.
We have only played 3 games, and we just added a few players.
It has been said that we can`t keep using injuries as an excuse for last season, but did we not start off reasonably well before all the injuries hit us?
Despite all the injuries, we were still in with a chance of the playoffs until the last couple of games.

We can indeed continue to use the injuries as an excuse for falling short last season. That is precisely what caused the lack of wins. We should bear that in mind when quoting stats.

We finished 6th last season, equal in points to fifth.
I wonder how many "available" managers could have done better under the circumstances.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 09:23

Quote:

PARrot, Tue 3 Sept 08:32

It has been said that we can`t keep using injuries as an excuse for last season, but did we not start off reasonably well before all the injuries hit us?
Despite all the injuries, we were still in with a chance of the playoffs until the last couple of games.

We can indeed continue to use the injuries as an excuse for falling short last season. That is precisely what caused the lack of wins. We should bear that in mind when quoting stats.

I wonder how many "available" managers could have done better under the circumstances.

I recall we beat Morton at EEP early last season (was it 3-1 or 4-1?) in an all too rare attacking display in which we simply overran our opponents. Morton were rock bottom, along with Arbroath, and many on here tipped them for relegation.

We didn`t know they were missing 9 first teamers due to injuries and other reasons. When they returned, Morton went on a long, unbeaten run finishing comfortably in midtable.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 10:24

Co.fortably on the same points as us. 5th of goal diff.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 11:00

The football is boring to watch BUT they better get their erses in gear for Friday as the team has to perform against the Lino lickers.....NO more embarrassing results will be tolerated against them!!!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 11:30

We won 1 of our 5 first 5 games last season and were looking for loans and free transfers well into the season-it isn`t all that different this year.Think we near enough in the relegation spots by October?
We are currently favourites for relegation and 80/1 to win the league after 4 games-double the odds of Morton who are 9th favourites at 40/1!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Dave_1885  
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 16:24

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 3 Sep 09:23

Quote:

I recall we beat Morton at EEP early last season (was it 3-1 or 4-1?) in an all too rare attacking display in which we simply overran our opponents. Morton were rock bottom, along with Arbroath, and many on here tipped them for relegation.

We didn`t know they were missing 9 first teamers due to injuries and other reasons. When they returned, Morton went on a long, unbeaten run finishing comfortably in midtable.

That Morton game is the only game Ive seen us win in person since New Year’s Day 2023 at least……..
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 18:06

Quote:

Dave_1885, Tue 3 Sep 16:24

Quote:

GG Riva, Tue 3 Sep 09:23

Quote:

That Morton game is the only game Ive seen us win in person since New Year’s Day 2023 at least……..

Lucky you. Full calendar year for me….
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Alter Ego  
Date:   Tue 3 Sep 23:27

It’s about time McPake grew a set and put out a team that is attacking…stuff all this defensive nonesense!

Mon the Pars!
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 4 Sep 08:28

Need to have the right players to put out an attacking team. Hopefully with a few more players in mcpake can give himself those options.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net