DAFC.net
Home 23 October 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Concussion
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 10:36

A new initiative from the SFA for grassroots football ,"If in doubt sit them out " for teams that don`t have medical staff at their games.
This really needs brought in to the top level as well, Saturday for example Morton player goes down in the box, holding his head, has a quick look up to see if we are still on the attack and waits on the ref to stop the game for a head knock .
He then gets up ,no check at all continues to play, this is blatant cheating , if players who go down holding their head , had to go off for a 5 minute head injury assessment, to be replaced by a sub for the time they are off, this may make the cheating aspect hopefully lessen.
Also on Saturday Chris Hamilton was knocked unconscious, and was allowed to play on , he also should have had to go off for an HIA with a replacement on till he returns .

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Concussion
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 11:01

There`s no doubt going down `injured` is now a tactic used to stop the game or slow down the momentum and rhythm of the opposition when they are on top. Sadly, coaches will always exploit any change to the rules or laws to benefit their teams but it is rarely to the benefit of spectators. One innovation that has helped though is the `multiple ball` system which has generally helped to speed up the game and reduce time-wasting.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: StevenPar77  
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 11:02

Yeah, the Morton one some people will say was a great example of shithousery, but to me, it is blatant cheating knowing fine well that the referee has no choice but to stop the game.
The fact that he got straight up and ran should have been sufficient justification for the referee to book him.
As for Hamilton, I would be very surprised if he was unconscious given the injuries last season and that McPake seems to have a safety first approach to those things.
Although I caveat that with bringing players back from injury too soon.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: da_no_1  
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 11:10

I`d be worried for Owen Moffat given he went down 3 times with "concussion" he must be a doubt for this weekend.....

"Some days will stay a 1000 years, some pass like the flash of a spark"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Playup_Pompey  
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 11:12

all well and good but in reality wont happen. As a ref first thing I ask a player when I get to him is "are you dizzy/do you feel sick" fortunatly have only had 1 player who really was disorientated following a clash of heads.

Teams wont take off their "best" players as a precaution

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: saltonsgonagetu  
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 11:30

Quote:

Playup_Pompey, Wed 23 Oct 11:12

all well and good but in reality wont happen. As a ref first thing I ask a player when I get to him is "are you dizzy/do you feel sick" fortunatly have only had 1 player who really was disorientated following a clash of heads.

Teams wont take off their "best" players as a precaution

No doubt teams will not take there best players off, but the rules should state any player going down holding his head , must be removed from the pitch ,with a replacement allowed to take their place, until or if they are allowed back on ,but they should be made to be off ,for at least 5 minutes ,for the safety off the player, or just to stick it up the cheats .

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: DBP  
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 11:52

Think there’s two questions, one is about the impact of injuries (feigned or otherwise) on the flow of the game… the other is about long term player well being.

I agree that it shouldn’t be up to the coaches/manager or even the player themselves to decide, as they will all likely want to stay on the park - but who then?

World be good to understand what other impact sports do, eg I think players go off for medical assessment in the nfl regardless?

is it not the case that it’s often the potential of a second knock on the head (or headers) that actually cause damage?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Bandy  
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 11:53

All for this rule change.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: DA-go Par Adonis  
Date:   Wed 23 Oct 11:58

Quote:

DBP, Wed 23 Oct 11:52

Think there’s two questions, one is about the impact of injuries (feigned or otherwise) on the flow of the game… the other is about long term player well being.

I agree that it shouldn’t be up to the coaches/manager or even the player themselves to decide, as they will all likely want to stay on the park - but who then?

World be good to understand what other impact sports do, eg I think players go off for medical assessment in the nfl regardless?

is it not the case that it’s often the potential of a second knock on the head (or headers) that actually cause damage?

In rugby league, certainly the NRL, there is an independent doctor who can call for a player to be removed for 10 minutes for a head injury assessment. A temporary sub goes on in their place and the player can return if they pass. If they fail, they can`t play again for 11 days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I love it when we go sell Kevin Nisbet,
He's gonna pay for everyone this season.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net