DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Coronavirus Bailouts
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Mon 16 Mar 22:15

Presumably the government is going to step in and compensate the minimum wage employees, zero hours contractors, small businesses and sole traders who are going to be devastated by the coming lockdown? They seem to be late in announcing the massive financial handouts though.

Maybe it's just the big guys who get that? Or are the bailouts maybe just for those whose downfall is of their own making?

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Coronavirus Bailouts
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Mon 16 Mar 22:29

You must be dreaming if you really think they'll save any poor people.All cash will be spent on Airlines and any other big money pals in trouble as the peasants can always be replaced.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 17 Mar 06:44

Branson needs a bailout so he'll be first in line. Forget all these hospitality workers on zero hours getting paid off.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 17 Mar 18:33

I'm incredibly lucky to work for a considerate employer - I don't have any more concern for my job security that I normally would and I know that, no matter what, I'll be treated fairly.

But I know what it's like to be in a less secure position and I know that Boris Johnstone does not know what that's like. He knows how to protect the interests of insurance conglomerates at the expense of pubs and theatres though.

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: pacifist  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 19:09

it's all about the detail and the ability of government/councils to get to those who need it - mammoth task.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Buspasspar  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 19:52

Looks like the Government are stepping up if all is true
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 20:34

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 20 Mar 19:52

Aye right, work for a company and earn 25k and you'll get 20k
If you're self employed on the same wage you'll get 5k after filling in a mountain of paper work
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Fri 20 Mar 22:25

[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 01:38

Under existing rules self employed would be nothing. Today’s government response is unprecedented, in such horrendous times this was a huge call to support the Vast majority
[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 08:32

Fair play, they do seem to be stepping up for the majority. I never thought I'd see a Tory government offering to pay the wages of private sector employees.

The reported £1000pa increase in Universal Credit as well as a few other benefits tweaks will help a lot of folk too. Especially if the claiming process is streamlined since all the self employed folk will be piling in now which will strain things.

One thing I'd like to see, as a frontline charity worker, is a bit of support for the third sector.

We're working much harder now than we were - there are still folk on the streets sadly and there are fewer spaces available in temporary accommodation due to a lack of cleaning and support staff - but the back office support network that we rely on is less available and a number of the other services on which our clients rely are either limited or closed.

The streets of Edinburgh are surreal right now though - Friday's shift was quite pleasant at times on the sunny almost empty streets.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 19:18

Quote :-

Topic Originator: BigJPar
Date: Fri 20 Mar 22:25

Quote:

Buspasspar, Fri 20 Mar 19:52

They're not a charity. Only doing similar or less than other countries.
It's all our money after all

I don't have a problem with that BigJPar If some of my OAP goes to help others then thats what I would like to happen
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: BigJPar  
Date:   Sat 21 Mar 20:44

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 08:26

My son in law is a self employed builder and sub contracted to work for a large national building firm. He has been laid off as of yesterday.

He was reading up about his situation and how much he might be entitled to. He said he thinks he will get 80% of his average earnings over the last 3 years, so if he was earning over £3k a month, he'd be entitle to the maximum of £2,500?

Good luck to him with that. I can't see him getting more than the statutory £94 a week.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 09:21

It is a worrying time for many
How soon will those laid off get their 80% wage
It affects both my Son and Daughter who's employers have closed and friends who are self employed
My wife and I are lucky as we have our OAP's with a little bit put by that will help our Family in the short term
Time will tell but I fear many will suffer
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 09:22

If he was employed by an employer then that's what he'd get. Self employed though so I don't think so.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ipswichpar  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 09:49

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Wed 25 Mar 09:22

If he was employed by an employer then that's what he'd get. Self employed though so I don't think so.

Agreed....this is still being worked through....I guess it is taking longer to work out cost to economy vs cost of losing votes ;)

Seriously, it is practically much harder. And universal benefits are means tested.

Not sure why they havent loosened up pension restrictions for a wee while....for example, you can take out 2k a month without penalty and we can collectively kick the can down the road.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 10:16

The 'gig' economy and the blurring of the lines between 'employment' and 'self-employment' don't look too clever now. We used to be told they offered flexibility which was welcomed by the workforce.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 13:39

A few folk do appreciate the flexibility of zero hours working (single mums for example) but those jobs were always there for the folk who needed them, with 'proper' contracts for those who needed those.

It's the choice that's been removed so that far too many folk are now forced to take zero hours work when it's not at all beneficial to them or their needs.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Wed 25 Mar 13:53

The 'gig' economy is just a way of transferring responsibility for workers' rights from employers to employees. Some of the biggest companies in the land benefit from it.
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net