DAFC.net
Home 29 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Nicola's 11k plan.
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 09:36

Minimum income £11k. Im assuming that is per household but I think I read per head!

Is it a daft idea? I know the money has to be there to do it but supposing it is....
Less incentive to work unless she has a counter skiver plan up her sleeve.
Cant think on any more negatives.

On the positive side .... more money in the pockets of people who will actually spend it and grow local economies. More jobs created for the counter skiver plan to take advantage of. Less desperation less crime (you would think) saving policing money. Better health saving NHS money unlss its all spent on bevvy.

Is it possible?
Am I Crackers?
Is she crackers?

[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Nicola's 11k plan.
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 10:46

This sounds like a basic income. Not sure if it's been proven to work but it's essentially saying everyone get a certain amount whether they work or not. If you work then you essentially top this up.

My concern would be the same as the existing benefits set up where it's often more beneficial to not work once you consider low wages + childcare.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 11:44

I thought some areas were trialling this, was Fife area not mentioned?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: shrek par  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 16:19

Lothians,fife and Dundee apparently if it goes ahead. Great idea if allayed with appropriate tax increases in all brackets and the UBI given to all. Would make for a fairer society plus with increased machine/device automation and job losses/redundancies as a result on the near to medium horizon ( even without covid) would suggest good future planning. Finland(?) Already trialled it and Canada looking at it.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Wotsit  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 17:13

UBI is becoming more attractive to those in power because automation is going to devastate a number of industries' payrolls (most notably transportation) and capitalism needs fairly constant growth to avoid implosion.

The simple fact is that there physically won't be enough jobs to go round in 20 years or so and it's imperative on capital to ensure that the gravy train keeps on producing, for which it requires consumers who don't instigate revolution due to hunger

"Who you are and what you feel comes not just from inside you, but from where you are in the power structure"
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: LochgellyAlbert  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 19:37

Where did you see 11K ?

I only see £2400pa!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsfan  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 22:17

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1298161/nicola-sturgeon-ubi-Universal-Basic-Income-working-scots-financial-ruin-holyrood-latest

The Express is taking pot shots so makes it a no brainer 😂
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: donj  
Date:   Sun 21 Jun 23:03

The cost of doing all the benefits offsets a lot of the cost and people who already have incomes will end up paying more tax so it isn't such a bad idea as it means nobody is fighting to get benefits through this maze to get a living income.
[IP address logged]
-
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 13:04

It will happen if Scotland becomes independent as it could be better alternative than the billions of setting up a scotland benefit agency.
I would suspect it would be on front of any manifesto and potentially a vote winner.
There were a few trial areas being considered in fife, Kelty and Cowdenbeath both fitted the criteria at the time along with a few areas in levenmouth area.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: desparado  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 13:14

Billions to set up a Scottish benefit agency?

Don’t think it would cost that much considering much of it is devolved already.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: dafc  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 15:15

Sorry, it was reported it would cost around £651million at start of this year to set up, with over £4billion then paid out within 5 years.
So more or less a £5 billion cost over the first 5 years. UBI would certainly be an interesting development.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 18:56

Didn't Finland do it and then give up on it?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 22 Jun 19:26

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-47169549

Admin
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net