DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 SNP and Calmac
Topic Originator: jake89  
Date:   Tue 15 Jun 09:09

What's going on here? Costing millions and two ships nowhere near completion.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: SNP and Calmac
Topic Originator: McCaig`s Tower  
Date:   Tue 20 Jul 13:55

Good point Jake

As far as I can see, tens of millions of pounds of public money have been spent on nationalising the shipyard, and on building 2 vessels – the Glen Sannox and Hull 802, which are years late. The Glen Sannox was launched in 2017 but is still not in service.

Their continued absence is putting huge strain on the existing fleet, which seems to be having constant maintenance issues, with breakdowns and cancellations aplenty.

It all seems a complete shambles, yet no-one seems to be being held accountable.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Tenruh  
Date:   Tue 20 Jul 14:08

https://grousebeater.wordpress.com/2021/07/19/an-unfit-snp/

Maybe this is the reason, Incompetence
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: wee eck  
Date:   Tue 20 Jul 15:43

Kevin McKenna - a disaffected Labour supporter who claims to support independence but seems to make a living having a pop at the SNP.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Jul 17:23

Quote:

wee eck, Tue 20 Jul 15:43

Kevin McKenna - a disaffected Labour supporter who claims to support independence but seems to make a living having a pop at the SNP.

It's maybe because he's in denial on how good the SNP are performing.
What do you think he says that is incorrect?

I see a pattern on here where any comments said against the SNP are trashed but surely the authors can be all getting it wrong?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Jul 18:05

`I see a pattern on here where any comments said against the SNP are trashed but surely the authors can be all getting it wrong?`

Is that a Freudian typo, Tenruh?

I`ll maybe give a fuller response later.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Jul 22:43

I`m not a member of the SNP. I`ve never been a member of any political party or given any money to any political party. One reason is that I`m not really interested in the factional infighting that goes on in political parties. I`m sure the SNP is no exception to that.

At the same time I`m quite sceptical about most of what passes for political commentary. That article by Kevin McKenna is so lacking in balance it could have been written by a Tory. Anything of his I`ve read recently trots out the same stuff about Sturgeon being anti-feminist, anti-independence and a control freak. He talks about `chaotic governance of health and education`. Well, even most UK commentators acknowledge that the Scottish government`s handling of the Covid pandemic has been much more sure-footed and consistent than Westminster`s. What is rarely commented on is that Scotland`s death rate from Covid, however measured, is lower than the UK average.

On education, we still have some of the best universities in the world and we have free tuition fees, something the UK government are now considering apparently. Would he rather have our schools run by Gavin Williamson?

Reading the comments appended to the article it`s quite clear it`s directed at a captive audience. What an article like this fails to do, or even attempt to do, is explain the party`s continuing popularity with the electorate.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 20 Jul 22:54

Suggesting SG have done well because they've done better than Westminster like patting yourself on the back because you won a game 3-0 after the other side forfeited the game. Westminster is probably the most incompetent government going. Doing better than them should be expected rather than a benchmark.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Tue 20 Jul 23:25

Thanks for picking out that one comment, jake. If I understand it correctly, you agree the SG did better. Bearing in mind a lot of the big decisions, like travel and finance, were reserved I think that`s creditable.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 18:15

I think SG have handled it better but not by much. I also accept what you're saying about Westminster. In many cases they can't win. We've seen it this week that the idiot (our PM) has opened up England, which has resulted in cross border travel issues.

When there has been suggestion of no access from the rest of the UK it's broadcast as being anti-English. We've seen people moaning about Scots going to London for the football - SG said not to go. The London Mayor said not to come. But there was nothing legally to stop them. That would be up to the PM. So you can't tell people off for not breaking the law.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 20:20

You say the SG have handled it better `but not by much`. In fact, if the UK death rate had occurred in Scotland there would have been around 2,500 more deaths up here. As I said, it doesn`t get reported for some reason. Have a look at the Gov.uk dashboard if you don`t believe me. I don`t know if that`s all down to the SG but, considering we`re supposed to be `the sick man of Europe`, it seems a remarkable outcome.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 21 Jul 23:33

I think my critique of the SNP would be a short book. Though a critique of the Tories would be more like an Encyclopaedia Britannica set!

I'll say the sick man of Europe thing is nonsense. We're not. It's just idiotic MPs and scummy rags trying to make a story of nothing.

However, we do have a minister who already failed in finance and education now leading on COVID. One who just yesterday put out incorrect data and has now been reported to the stats authority. We also now know that SG is interfering with Scotland's public health body and controlling what information they put out around COVID. That is scandalous and I'm surprised a bigger deal hasn't been made about it.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 11:08

I haven`t seen any of these `SNP Bad` stories which is indeed surprising considering how hostile the media in Scotland and the UK are towards them.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 11:13

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 22 Jul 11:08

I haven`t seen any of these `SNP Bad` stories which is indeed surprising considering how hostile the media in Scotland and the UK are towards them.

I suspect its because they're not a threat to the union.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 11:59

Tenruh, most of your posts are so cryptic that I can`t make any sense of them. Are you saying these particular stories (which I haven`t heard) are no threat to the union or that the normally hostile media have decided the SNP are not a threat to the union? Presumably that would suit your own agenda against the SNP establishment.

As I said in an earlier post I`ve no interest in political party in-fighting and I suspect the majority of the electorate aren`t either.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Thu 22 Jul 12:50

Quote:

wee eck, Thu 22 Jul 11:59

Tenruh, most of your posts are so cryptic that I can`t make any sense of them. Are you saying these particular stories (which I haven`t heard) are no threat to the union or that the normally hostile media have decided the SNP are not a threat to the union? Presumably that would suit your own agenda against the SNP establishment.

As I said in an earlier post I`ve no interest in political party in-fighting and I suspect the majority of the electorate aren`t either.

Not a threat to the union.

Independence is more important to me rather than the personalities, but personally I think if the tories gave the Scottish Parliament another Referendum in the short term the British state would win it hands down.

Post Edited (Thu 22 Jul 12:51)
[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 1
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net