DAFC.net
Home 28 March 2024 
 Post Message  |  Top of Board  |  Search  |  Log In   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 
[ please login to use the Like feature ]
 Is there anyone out there?
Topic Originator: GG Riva  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 09:04

I don't know if this has ever been debated on dotnet, but ever since humans have been able to stand upright, they've been looking up at the night sky and wondering if there are any other intelligent beings out there.

Is it possible that, with all the countless zillions of stars in the universe, there are none which have planets on which sustainable, intelligent life can have evolved? Of course, the distances are such that, if there are, neither they nor we, can ever visit one another, but we may be able to pick up information which would confirm their existence. If intelligent aliens do exist, they'll almost certainly know about us, with radio and TV signals radiating out from our planet to every corner of our galaxy and beyond.

Not your average Sunday League player.
[IP address logged]
Report Abuse   Reply To This Message
 Re: Is there anyone out there?
Topic Originator: widtink  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 09:51

If there is any intelligent life out there... They've probably decided to stay well away from us.
But ... As someone once said... "The universe is a pretty big place. If it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space"
P. S. ...
I thought this was going to be a pink floyd related thread and only came on to correct your thread title.... Imagine my disappointment etc😂

Admin

Post Edited (Mon 13 Aug 09:54)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 09:54

Waste of space? Speak fur yersel, widdy......😊

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 09:56

Ach I've been called worse 😂

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: parsmad68  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 10:58

It can be calculated based upon our first transmission how far that signal would have travelled into space and which galaxies it would have touched. If for example it was 1918, would that mean that it has travelled 100light years? So maybe no so far.
I once talked to a guy who was convinced that Alien crafts were in the shape of comets. He should have paid attention to that recent cigar shaped comet that zoomed through our solar system!
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: The One Who Knocks  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 11:22

You just know this thread will be hijacked by the usual suspects shortly.
I expect the Great Filter theory explains why we haven't heard from any other civilisations.

And although my eyes were open
They just might as well be closed
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: veteraneastender  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 11:25

Talking about transmissions of radio signals - Marconi’s great grandfather (maternal line) came from the bottom end of Alloa.

As ever schoolboy will tell you.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: allparone  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 11:32

It's not the first time and it certainly won't be the last that Alien life and Alloa's bottom end are mentioned in the same conversation.
[IP address logged]
-
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 11:44

Quote:

The One Who Knocks, Mon 13 Aug 11:22

You just know this thread will be hijacked by the usual suspects shortly.
I expect the Great Filter theory explains why we haven't heard from any other civilisations.

Aye but is the great filter in our past... Or in our future?
Btw... I believe that the question of "is there anybody out there" is called the "Fermi paradox"
Yes I'm a sci-fi geek lol.

Admin
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: richie5401  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 12:11

The OP assumes that life can evolve.Never been any evidence that it ever has.

Darwin feared that the fossil record would confirm this.It did.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: MikeyLeonard  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 12:18

^^ Oh Oh. . . .Here we go again ^^
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 12:21

I started reading about the Great Filter theory and found that I was internally reading it with the same voice as the narrator from Hitch Hikers guide.
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: PARrot  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 12:27

The Hitchhikers Guide series is the funniest read ive ever had. Peed myself laughing for hours on end.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 12:30

Quote:

richie5401, Mon 13 Aug 12:11

No... Just stop right there.
Just pretend you didn't see this thread.
For once... Let us have a science thread.
You've had plenty god threads.
Leave this one alone ta 😏

Admin
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 12:31

Like Marvin’s jealousy of the automatic door operation. Genius.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 12:33

....better not disappoint TOWK.
The bible says there is intelligent life elsewhere. Angels and "The Heavens" whatever and wherever all that lot is. Anyones guess.
Im not aware of anything saying this is the only planet God created with intelligent life.

BTW. If we are on topic it isn't a hijack
and we generally do stay on topic.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 12:48

I mentioned science widders ..Nothing about God. You must have overlooked that.The Op claimed man man evolved from something... Science so far confirms otherwise
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: average white par  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 12:59

Yet again, an interesting thread destroyed....

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 13:02

That's a first... Science destroying a conversation
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 13:17

Quote:

richie5401, Mon 13 Aug 12:11

I think it's fair to say that it's possible to be believe in a Creator (God) and still believe in the theory of evolution. i.e. God created the very simplest forms of life and then let nature take its course.

Don't rule anything out, don't rule anything in......

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 13:21

Look Ritchie, you and I have been cyber amigos for quite some time... you are clearly an intelligent person and I often enjoy your insights into golf, boxing, tv ,music and other assorted topics...

However, when it comes to religion, or anything pertaining to it, you have a singular and unique ability to close your eyes and refuse to discuss, or indeed accept, the fact that other people have opinions which differ from your own...

You're like the dotnet version of those muppets I used to have to brush off when I lived in LA, who accost you at bus stops trying to peddle their nonsense because they know you're waiting on a bus and therefore have a captive audience...

You and your ilk prey on the weak, the poor, the homeless and the vulnerable, and I personally think that's some fkd up repugnant sht...

Take your beliefs and practise them in your home or your place of worship, but please stop trying to ram them down everyone's throat on a Pars football forum..

God bless

AWP

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 13:52

I'm keeping it purely scientific GG. .....The fossil record doesn't support it

It has nothing to do with God AWP,..It ha to do with proving we evolved before assuming it caught have happened elsewhere

That has yet to be established
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: red-star-par  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 13:56

Quote:

average white par, Mon 13 Aug 13:21

Look Ritchie, you and I have been cyber amigos for quite some time... you are clearly an intelligent person and I often enjoy your insights into golf, boxing, tv ,music and other assorted topics...

However, when it comes to religion, or anything pertaining to it, you have a singular and unique ability to close your eyes and refuse to discuss, or indeed accept, the fact that other people have opinions which differ from your own...

You're like the dotnet version of those muppets I used to have to brush off when I lived in LA, who accost you at bus stops trying to peddle their nonsense because they know you're waiting on a bus and therefore have a captive audience...

You and your ilk prey on the weak, the poor, the homeless and the vulnerable, and I personally think that's some fkd up repugnant sht...

Take your beliefs and practise them in your home or your place of worship, but please stop trying to ram them down everyone's throat on a Pars football forum..

God bless

AWP

Pretty much said the same on another thread last week. They are like a pair of drug dealers plying their nonsense on the weak
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 14:08

Instead of the usual ad hominem RSP...Discuss evidence.
.It the only way to discover what is true
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 14:51

Ha! Just saw that the now RSP... sorry for nicking your stuff inadvertently :-)

Still, we are clearly of the same opinion I think...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 16:10

Quote:

average white par, Mon 13 Aug 12:59

Yet again, an interesting thread destroyed....

How is it destroyed. I'm sure I gave a perfectly decent on topic reply.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 16:13

Quote:

average white par, Mon 13 Aug 13:21

God bless

AWP

Kinda well over the top and out of order there. He is talking science. Stick to science. Stop involving religion if you dont want to discuss it.

I on the other hand answered the op with a comment regarding religion which was perfectly legit as far as I can see.

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: kelty_par  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 16:29

"The OP assumes that life can evolve.Never been any evidence that it ever has."

Firstly, no he didn't. At no point was there even a reference to evolution. The OP stated "ever since humans have been able to stand upright, they've been looking up at the night sky" - if you want to believe your unverified, unproven creation myth that's fine, but there would have still have been a first time humans stood up, no?

Anyway, to answer the OP properly without resorting to nonsense, I'd have to think there is some form of intelligent life out there but as to what that would look like, what that would mean, whether they are aware of us or not etc it's harder to say. We talk a lot about the Drake equation when we're talking about Astronomy in school and talk about the difficulty of even thinking about the numbers. Going by the lowest numbers you can get a figure of virtually zero, while using higher numbers leads to hundreds of millions of potential intelligent species in our Galaxy alone. I personally think that there are probably several thousand intelligent forms of life out there, with some that are much more advanced than is, some that are less developed, some that are at about a similar level to us, etc. I'm sure each civilisation out there also has their own creation stories. I wonder what they'd say if they knew we existed... :)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 16:42

Don't play the fool Parrot, you know exactly where he's trying to guide this conversation...
And at no point did I refer to your or your contribution...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 16:44

Excuse me folks, but the question is in the thread title. I'm a bit hacked off at Richie and to a lesser extent, Parrot, for turning this discussion into a quasi-religious thread, by picking up on my use of the word "evolve."

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that life does evolve, that living things do change over time e.g. humans are now taller, on average, than they were 1000 years ago or even 100 years ago. Now this may simply be down to more nutritious food being available but we are different and sculpted, at least partially, by our environment. Africans have a darker skin to protect them from the ravages of the sun, Tibetans, Bolivians and Mexicans have more red blood cells per ml of blood to extract enough oxygen from the rarefied atmosphere at these altitudes and so on.

If you and I went to live in one of these countries are bodies would adapt too. Now if such small changes can happen in such a short time, why can more significant changes not occur naturally over eons of time?

Richie, your assertion that the theory of evolution is bollox because no conclusive evidence has been found in fossils is worse than flimsy. Are you of the opinion that no one can be convicted of murder if the body cannot be found?

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 16:49

Kelty, thank you for answering my question to the best of your ability. I too, think it would take unbelievably long odds for our planet to be the only one in the entire universe which was inhabited by intelligent life.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 16:53

What you are giving are examples of variation GG.Which no reasonable fellow will dispute

We have all seen the images of man progressing to walking upright and that is all they are. Science has never confirmed their validity

As for the OP...The universe is huge no doubt, as of right now we are alone..There is no evidence to suggest otherwise

Post Edited (Mon 13 Aug 17:26)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 17:40

Quote:

average white par, Mon 13 Aug 16:42

Don't play the fool Parrot, you know exactly where he's trying to guide this conversation...
And at no point did I refer to your or your contribution...

Ok I'll slap my own wing.

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 18:38

GG, check out the "Coast to Coast AM" website featuring my man George Noory... if you can actually find it on AM radio in the middle of the night it's even more entertaining... cracking late night radio.. just don't take it too seriously...

[IP address logged]
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 20:57

Science defines things to be proven when statistically 95% confident. To achieve this confidence is extremely difficult. This is why scientists are so cagey when saying if something is proven. When I have asked scientists if something is proven then they typically answer “weeeellllll......”

Post Edited (Mon 13 Aug 20:59)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: renegade master  
Date:   Mon 13 Aug 23:57

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: GG741  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 02:06

I live in an area with little ambient light at night, and I regularly find myself looking skywards and wondering all sorts of things. And to watch the Space Shuttle cross the night sky adds a level of comprehension to how small we obviously are.

But, is this one of those "...we don't know what we don't know..." topics?

We assume that other life is human (or closely aligned)?
We assume that our technology (radio signals etc.) is aligned with theirs?

Or, alternatively, are we each just living our own version of 'The Trueman Show'?
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 08:09

"What you are giving are examples of variation GG. Which no reasonable fellow will dispute."

Even the longest journey begins with a single step, Richie. If what you term ''variation'' can manifest itself in a relatively short time span, why can that not lead to more significant changes over a much longer time scale? Do you not believe that every species of dog is descended from the grey wolf and that the variation (evolution) has been achieved by people keeping the pups whose features they liked and destroying those they didn't?

"We have all seen the images of man progressing to walking upright and that is all they are. Science has never confirmed their validity

As for the OP...The universe is huge no doubt, as of right now we are alone..There is no evidence to suggest otherwise"

There was a time when there was no evidence that the world was round and nearly everyone believed it must be flat...........

Galileo encountered quite a bit of grief - from the church - when he dared to suggest otherwise....

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: londonparsclub  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 08:45

Richie,

Imagine I’m a Martian, explain to me religion in 40 words.

I’m more inclined to believe in Martians than angels and boys wi boats that take on all the animals. And folk walking on water. Never mind the main man being able to reappear more times than Elvis.

GG,

I believe there has to be something else somewhere.

HF05
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 08:47

Science tells us there are limits to change GG.There are a huge variety of dogs for sure and they all came from as you say the Wolf.We have never witnessed an exception to this

What you seem to want to argue is that these variations are limitless and use unobserved time to support that position.

Science has limits as well.I believe you are attempting to exceed those limits.

The more science explores the complexity of us and our planet staggers the mind.

A mind that so far doesn't seem to be at work anywhere else in the universe

Post Edited (Tue 14 Aug 08:48)
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: WORST  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 08:58

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 09:00

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 10:38

Could maybe do 40 words in 40 days LP:)

Why would you be more inclined to believe in martians rather than boys with boats.We have all witnessed the latter.

So far the evidence seems to be we live in a big universe and the "odds" are we are not alone.Now I know you are a betting man how far out would you place 500 quid we find alien life?
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 12:51

<<Now I know you are a betting man how far out would you place 500 quid we find alien life?>>

I doubt it will be in my lifetime, but certainly within the next 50 years man will find alien life - most probably in the form of an amoeba in the waters of Mars.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 13:08

''Science tells us there are limits to change GG.There are a huge variety of dogs for sure and they all came from as you say the Wolf.We have never witnessed an exception to this

What you seem to want to argue is that these variations are limitless and use unobserved time to support that position.

Science has limits as well.I believe you are attempting to exceed those limits.

The more science explores the complexity of us and our planet staggers the mind.

A mind that so far doesn't seem to be at work anywhere else in the universe''

There are only limits to certain things. e.g. Eventually it will not be possible to run the 100m any faster, but in other areas, e.g. the size of the expanding universe, there is no limit. It can keep expanding forever. There is nothing to prove that variation has limits.

And all because I used the word 'evolved' in the OP.

evolve

verb

develop gradually.

"the company has evolved into a major chemical manufacturer"
synonyms: develop, progress, make progress, advance, move forward, make headway, mature, grow, open out, unfold, unroll, expand, enlarge, spread, extend; alter, change, transform, adapt, metamorphose, differentiate;

humoroustransmogrify

"the economies of all four nations evolved in different ways"

[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 13:26

I agree GG.Howver the entity fundamentally remains what it began as. Whether that is a company a dog or a carrot.

I can find no examples where this isn't the rule.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 13:40

Based on the evidence so far on Mars Oz..I would say it takes more than water to produce a single celled organism
[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: ParfectXI  
Date:   Tue 14 Aug 14:39

If there were Aliens out there, and I believe there are, if they just monitored our media output for a few days before setting down I’m sure they would think better of it.

What would they see?? Wars around the planet, Away from the Wars they’d see people abusing and killing others for no good reason. Selfishness, people struggling to eat due to no money, while others have more than they will ever need. Animals being hunted and killed for sport. And then just about every movie with Aliens coming to earth doesn’t end well for the Aliens.

We are far too primitive and barbaric for any extraterrestrial to seriously want to visit.
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Aug 10:56

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: Rastapari  
Date:   Wed 15 Aug 11:18

There's plenty out there...that's why we were quarantined here ;)

[IP address logged]
Topic Originator: OzPar  
Date:   Wed 15 Aug 11:45

Next time I see a perfectly interesting thread descend into a vitriolic religious gobfest, I think I will bomb it with Pink Floyd references...

:)
[IP address logged]
Date:   Wed 15 Aug 12:30

"Is there anyone out there" was always going to attract some comments about God. I dont think the thread was hijacked in any way.

[IP address logged]
 Top of Board  |  Forum List  |  Threaded View   Forum Rules  |  Newer Topic  |  Older Topic  |  end 

Rows: 0
 Forum List  |  Need a Login? Register Here 
 User Login
 User Name:
 Password:
 Remember my login:

Forgot Your Password?
Enter your email address or user name below and a new password will be sent to the email address associated with your profile.
Security : type 'pars' in the box:
email:
© 2021-- DAFC.net